The end of college football

AUght2win

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Notre Dame has only been in 2 of 7 playoffs. Bama and Clemson are in most years because they have been the best teams. 

Most talented? Yes. That doesn't mean most deserving. Alabama has played for a natty twice while not even being the top team in the 7 team division. The system we have now is horrid. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Most talented? Yes. That doesn't mean most deserving. Alabama has played for a natty twice while not even being the top team in the 7 team division. The system we have now is horrid. 

I don't like it, but Alabama has been the most deserving. Not just the most talented. They've never made it to the championship with more than one loss. They were undefeated 3 times. 

And when they make it to the playoffs, they win. Bounced out in semifinals once. Runner-up twice and champion three times. Clemson is similar. 

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. I like the expansion of the playoffs, but it has mostly worked at slotting the top teams. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I literally can't think of anything I care less about than another conference's opinion of SEC academics. I'm searching hard, man. Coming up totally empty. 

Maybe you've forgotten that Universities are *academic* institutions. They compete with other universities to pull in real dollars for R&D, and they compete for top faculty and students in order to draw REAL MONEY to support academic programs, scientific research, and development programs in their state.

Sports are an ancillary activity to the real mission of any university. If a university is competing at the top levels *academically*, it is pulling in many millions of dollars that contribute to the survival and growth of the University.

This affects (and I can attest from personal experience) the marketability, long term financial success, and overall social influence of graduates.

So YES, the academic standing of SEC universities is important. Football success is a pretty minor issue for a university like Auburn in comparison to academic standing. Auburn has been trying to become an AAU member institution for decades, because that contributes to the ability to compete for top R&D grants and foundation funding.

And if you don't care about that, you don't care about Auburn University as a university.

That's just my opinion, of course. I donate to Auburn academic programs, because I hope to advance our academic programs, faculty and students. You get off on your own bouncy ball.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Don’t really think the last 7 “stink”. That seems to be way too low of an appraisal of teams within the top 12 each year.

However I would describe them, they would still be whittled down to the same status, I just didn’t choose to patsy it up. There’s going to be one team that breaks through out that muck, once every 3-4 years, and I’m glad to have them, but if the 1-4 matchup has been the gigantic mismatch that it has been traditionally, then I’d presume the rare top 3 seed (which has generally contained 2 of the best teams by a good margin) vs bottom seed is going to make that look like patty cake. 

And again, I’m not arguing if those teams deserve to be in a playoff scenario or not. I’m presenting the fact that there’s no reason to suspect that the playoffs will suddenly become less interesting (and they’ve rarely been able to be described as that) because we have a NIL or expansion. 

3 hours ago, AURex said:

Maybe you've forgotten that Universities are *academic* institutions. They compete with other universities to pull in real dollars for R&D, and they compete for top faculty and students in order to draw REAL MONEY to support academic programs, scientific research, and development programs in their state.

Sports are an ancillary activity to the real mission of any university. If a university is competing at the top levels *academically*, it is pulling in many millions of dollars that contribute to the survival and growth of the University.

This affects (and I can attest from personal experience) the marketability, long term financial success, and overall social influence of graduates.

So YES, the academic standing of SEC universities is important. Football success is a pretty minor issue for a university like Auburn in comparison to academic standing. Auburn has been trying to become an AAU member institution for decades, because that contributes to the ability to compete for top R&D grants and foundation funding.

And if you don't care about that, you don't care about Auburn University as a university.

That's just my opinion, of course. I donate to Auburn academic programs, because I hope to advance our academic programs, faculty and students. You get off on your own bouncy ball.

We are talking about an athletic partnership between regional schools. The idea that who we play football against somehow impacts our academic standing is hilariously bizarre. 

We share a conference with freaking Vanderbilt. Gonna go out on a limb and say their academic reputation is pretty solid. How can this be?

Why hasn't Stanford's academic reputation been soiled by playing in tennis tournaments against Arizona State? How does Duke get any grant money when they play baseball against the likes of Clemson?

Texas and OU joining the SEC does nothing positively or negatively to Auburn academically. Bizarre, bizarre take to say otherwise. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AURex said:

Academics are obviously important...ironically enough, one of the ways Texas' leadership threw shade at A&M's move to the SEC a decade ago was because of the SEC's perceived collective academic reputation.

Academics is in no meaningful way driving this expansion.  It's one of those pleasant little by-products and gives a fig leaf to the SEC if they choose to use it, but that's about it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, toddc said:

I have a dvr and have to sinc them together. 

Yes, but my radio feed is about 20 seconds ahead of the TV. A few years ago I tried a radio that claimed to slow down the broadcast but it wasn't enough. Got any tips? I'd really prefer to listen to the Auburn radio while watching the game on TV.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Yes, but my radio feed is about 20 seconds ahead of the TV. A few years ago I tried a radio that claimed to slow down the broadcast but it wasn't enough. Got any tips? I'd really prefer to listen to the Auburn radio while watching the game on TV.

I can usually sinc with a radio phone  app like tunein 

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

None of you guys are going anywhere nor losing passion. If this was the case you wouldn't be spending your leisure time posting as an anonymous person on a college football forum. Things will change, you all will re-adjust and you will like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DAG said:

None of you guys are going anywhere nor losing passion. If this was the case you wouldn't be spending your leisure time posting as an anonymous person on a college football forum. Things will change, you all will re-adjust and you will like it.

You don't know that. I haven't watched an NFL game, other than to see Cam Newton play a couple of times, in years. I used to like to watch them, but lost interest.

I still watch a major league baseball game or two every season and some of the world series, but the excessive expansion and other changes in the game caused me to lose interest. I used to be a total fan of MLB.

Several years ago I changed my donations to Auburn so that 100% goes to academic efforts, none to athletics. My priorities have changed.

I, and others like me, could easily decide to spend those golden Saturday afternoons in the fall doing something that pleases us more than watching the "new" college football. Time will tell.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You don't know that. I haven't watched an NFL game, other than to see Cam Newton play a couple of times, in years. I used to like to watch them, but lost interest.

I still watch a major league baseball game or two every season and some of the world series, but the excessive expansion and other changes in the game caused me to lose interest. I used to be a total fan of MLB.

Several years ago I changed my donations to Auburn so that 100% goes to academic efforts, none to athletics. My priorities have changed.

I, and others like me, could easily decide to spend those golden Saturday afternoons in the fall doing something that pleases us more than watching the "new" college football. Time will tell.

I know you are spending time this morning posting about Auburn athletics for someone so worried about the end of college football. That tells me all I need to know. Once you stop posting here, then maybe I would take those threats serious. I know if I didn't care for something I definitely wouldn't waste one minute on it.

• Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, DAG said:

I know you are spending time this morning posting about Auburn athletics for someone so worried about the end of college football. That tells me all I need to know. Once you stop posting here, then maybe I would take those threats serious. I know if I didn't care for something I definitely wouldn't waste one minute on it.

You put forth the false premise that you can predict the future. "None of you guys are going anywhere nor losing passion."

I haven't lost interest yet, so I'm posting here. I may or may not lose interest in the future. That will depend on what college football looks like in the future. In any case, someone's current interest is no indication that they "aren't going anywhere". That's a silly assumption.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

You put forth the false premise that you can predict the future. "None of you guys are going anywhere nor losing passion."

I haven't lost interest yet, so I'm posting here. I may or may not lose interest in the future. That will depend on what college football looks like in the future. In any case, someone's current interest is no indication that they "aren't going anywhere". That's a silly assumption.

I am predicting the future ? You keep saying it’s the end of college football yet here you are early in the wee mornings on your own leisure time posting about Auburn football? It’s like someone claiming they don’t have passion for the drinking a note but hanging in the bars during their leisure time. If you think it’s the end and you don’t like it, why the hell are you posting on a forum? It’s one thing to not watch the games, But to be wasting time posting on the forum, speaking about how it’s the end. That don’t make no damn sense. That is the epitome of fanatic.

If I think something is ruin or beginning to get compromised and I don’t like where it’s going I don’t waste my time on it. But then again I am a different cookie. You can be doing so much else with your time , yet you are here late at night or early in the morning, arguing on this forum. Stop acting like you are losing your passion or you don’t have a passion for it. You are here posting fool. Now you want to see wait to see how it looks in the future? Lol. You been saying whole dang summer how the NIL is going to be problematic to the game and how super teams are going to mess up traditions. ITS THE END OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL. What the heck do you think is going to change in the future? Lol. It’s just going to be a bigger playoff system and more super conferences and your ass going to be here posting about it. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

I encourage you and hope that you leave the athletic boards on here as well.   Bye bye Gusmuncher 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I encourage you and hope that you leave the athletic boards on here as well.   Bye bye Gusmuncher 

That is what I am saying . Prove us wrong and show that you are losing interest but we know he enjoys this as much as anybody. No clue why he is trying to act like this isn’t true.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, DAG said:

You’re right, big boy. Things will change, we’ll re-adjust and we will like it. Just like how I now never watch the NFL, NBA and MLB. Haven’t missed any of them and love the extra leisure time. If college football goes the way I think it will, and it will, I will have even more leisure time. I know, good riddance to me, but I’ll hang around a little longer just to see how big the clusterf$@&k will be

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jluvah said:

You’re right, big boy. Things will change, we’ll re-adjust and we will like it. Just like how I now never watch the NFL, NBA and MLB. Haven’t missed any of them and love the extra leisure time. If college football goes the way I think it will, and it will, I will have even more leisure time. I know, good riddance to me, but I’ll hang around a little longer just to see how big the clusterf$@&k will be

AWW Bye. We hate to see you go. 

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

If you are predicting (in this case this thread is all about predicting (as it is in the future), it would be very foolish to IMO not to use recent past to predict future. Which tells me most will hang around.

7 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

If you are predicting (in this case this thread is all about predicting (as it is in the future), it would be very foolish to IMO not to use recent past to predict future. Which tells me most will hang around.

Most, like me, will hang around until we no longer like college football. Then we'll be gone. Will dumping college football be harder than dumping MLB or the NFL? Not if it no longer holds my interest. Will the "new" game hold my interest? That's a thing nobody can say at this point.

If someone doesn't know what the game will look like in three years, how can they predict how someone else will react to it? Answer: They can't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Most, like me, will hang around until we no longer like college football. Then we'll be gone. Will dumping college football be harder than dumping MLB or the NFL? Not if it no longer holds my interest. Will the "new" game hold my interest? That's a thing nobody can say at this point.

If someone doesn't know what the game will look like in three years, how can they predict how someone else will react to it? Answer: They can't.

If no one can predict, why are you? You are predicting they won’t hang around, I on the other hand are predicting they will. I do agree it is about interest. IMO, interest is usually increased by something not within that person. Something usually influenced the CFB fan in the first place and relative to CFB that influence is usually remembered. Not sure why you originally became a fan of Auburn, but my original influence is still remembered. It’s not affected by who the coach is either. That’s why I hang around.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 5:18 PM, AUght2win said:

it signals the end of college football.

You liked this statement. Would you like me to link anymore stuff ? Or are you going to deny that now? @Mikey

Not to mention your ridiculous, outlandish statements on the NIL and how it will affect college football and it’s amateur status haha. Schools buying all the best players lmao. So if you are PREDICTING all of this , WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE? That pretty much NFL like. 

718971AB-A0F9-481A-A726-69EBBD8979C4.jpeg

CF3C9F04-223E-49CE-9962-E679D8B9F82D.jpeg

E1E0D9C5-ED32-4C11-91DE-E6CF7977B2DB.jpeg

Edited by DAG