Nip Watch 2021 !!!

WarTim

On 8/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, Auctoritas said:

I love dogwoods. Not only are they great-looking trees (is there anything more glorious than a patch of dogwoods in full bloom in Spring?), but they remind me of the South. I grew up with one one outside my grandparent's house, and outside my parent's house, and now...outside my own house, a patch of my own.

We lost one this time last year. It just up and died, so I'm in this hyper-vigilant state with them. I glanced out my window a couple evenings ago and noticed some brown leaves, and some others that were orange. I raced outside to look. As I stood there, making small talk with the neighbor (yes, mom-n-em' are doing good. Yes, the dogs are getting along. Sure has been hot!), a glint of color caught my eye to my right. Dogwood trees, down the street, tips of the branches becoming fireworks of red and yellow. To my left? more trees, dogwoods in deep ochre. Not dying, after all - just the first signs of the leaves starting to change.

Right as I glanced around, a breeze kicked up. Cooler. A little drier than it has been. That first little whisper that in other years would carry the sounds of a practicing marching band. It may have been quiet, but it touched my cheek and then was gone.

As I said my goodbyes to my neighbor and walked back inside the house, I paused at the dogwood nearest the driveway and ran my hands through the leaves just starting to show bits of burgundy. Is it Fall yet? no, not quite.

But it's close.

I'm a maple tree kind of guy myself. I grew up in PA and the fall was gorgeous with all the different colors. I moved to the South as a teen and I miss it more. I drove up to Vermont a couple of years ago just for the LEAVE CHANGING season. Unbelievable. Stayed in a B&B and just enjoyed driving around Vermont and into NH to see such beautiful scenery with the Maple Trees of all colors. 

21 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I'm a maple tree kind of guy myself. I grew up in PA and the fall was gorgeous with all the different colors. I moved to the South as a teen and I miss it more. I drove up to Vermont a couple of years ago just for the LEAVE CHANGING season. Unbelievable. Stayed in a B&B and just enjoyed driving around Vermont and into NH to see such beautiful scenery with the Maple Trees of all colors. 

My house has nothing but maples. The Orange color in October is amazing. 

• Like 1

barnacle and stoic one are the real winners here because without that certain lady in the thread we might as well be watching golf shirtless or something.

• Like 1

RSVP’d my first “Not attending” because it fell on an Auburn home game this season so the Nip is full blast for me. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Something is missing on the Nip Watch?

You've been here 10+ years, you should know you have to be patient.  ;)

XbOax0s.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, USATiger said:

What the hell!  Why is my ‘ol lady’s picture on the front page above this thread title?!

Very well done. 

6 hours ago, USATiger said:

What the hell!  Why is my ‘ol lady’s picture on the front page above this thread title?!

It was the most family friendly one that I had...

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It was the most family friendly one that I had...

It is extremely Hard to keep it PG. (Pun intended) 😎😎😎

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, stoic-one said:

You've been here 10+ years, you should know you have to be patient.  ;)

XbOax0s.jpg

Almost there.......

14 hours ago, abw0004 said:

RSVP’d my first “Not attending” because it fell on an Auburn home game this season so the Nip is full blast for me. 

In the south, weddings during football season are an abomination. Good on you!

• Like 2

I just checked espn and realized there are actual for real college football games happening next Saturday!!! Next Saturday people.....that is 10 days away!! I can't speak for the young lady in the picture but i know i just felt a tingle!!! 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So where is the rest of her? Does she have hairy legs or something? :)

Couldn't tell you, I'm new here. ;)