Attention Golfers.....help needed.

Tigerpro2a

This is a call out to all the golfers out there. @augolf1716. I have been playing golf pretty heavily for the last year. I never played more than 2 times a year prior to that so I never got really into it until the last year.

I have improved my game dramatically the last few months up until last week. I drive well. I chip well. I had been hitting my irons well, but something happened last week and I can't figure out what it is. Now, every time I swing an Iron (long or short) I just clunk it. I am not necessarily hitting fat or thin, but the contact is just piss poor. I have tried everything I know to try to fix the problem with zero success. I can't fix it because I don't know what the cause is. I have tried changing ball placement, stance, grip, swing plane, etc and it doesn't matter what I do it is just poor contact. I can send you a video of my swing (sorry I do not know how to post it on here) 

Any and all tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. It has ruined the game for me. I can't enjoy playing because literally every shot I make that isn't driver (I crush driver) is horrible and only travels a portion of the distance it should. 

Well there is a number of things could come in play swing center, weight shift, overactive lower body, lowering the head during the swing. Golf is such a mind game before you know you're so skrewed up you don't know which way is up or down. I would strongly advise seeing a teaching pro who can see it in person. I know it may sound expensive but sometimes you can wheel and deal. Maybe bundle a X amount of lessons to get a lower price. It will take more then one lesson more then likely

• Thanks 1

#1 - only do what @augolf1716 said.

#2 - sounds like you might be casting. I have this problem and when I default back to it, I’m always 10-20% short of what I should be. Give this drill a try: 

• Like 1

Has anyone ever used the John King golf lessons at RTJ?

I am in need of totally 'learning' how to correctly strike the ball, whether he be with a driver, or an iron. I learned on my own many years ago using my dad's clubs, and I know from those who I have played with and have seen my form is totally unorthodox(mainly very little back swing). I am in my 60's now, retired, and would like to play a lot more, but with a better way of using a more correct swing.

So, would they help me, basically redo my swing from scratch so I could feel satisfied I am at least correctly striking the ball? Or is there another place, that can do it? Price is not an issue. lol.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Has anyone ever used the John King golf lessons at RTJ?

I am in need of totally 'learning' how to correctly strike the ball, whether he be with a driver, or an iron. I learned on my own many years ago using my dad's clubs, and I know from those who I have played with and have seen my form is totally unorthodox(mainly very little back swing). I am in my 60's now, retired, and would like to play a lot more, but with a better way of using a more correct swing.

So, would they help me, basically redo my swing from scratch so I could feel satisfied I am at least correctly striking the ball? Or is there another place, that can do it? Price is not an issue. lol.

If RTJ is convenience then yes it could absolutely help. The one thing I always stress when taking golf lessons is to be comfortable with the teaching pro. They all have their certain ways and techniques in teaching. some can make you uncomfortable and intimidating. 

BTW being in the 60's you can still be taught some good golf swing habits. You said you had a totally unorthodox swing so you may feel awkward if your instructor tries to change it.......give it time

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 1:12 PM, augolf1716 said:

Well there is a number of things could come in play swing center, weight shift, overactive lower body, lowering the head during the swing. Golf is such a mind game before you know you're so skrewed up you don't know which way is up or down. I would strongly advise seeing a teaching pro who can see it in person. I know it may sound expensive but sometimes you can wheel and deal. Maybe bundle a X amount of lessons to get a lower price. It will take more then one lesson more then likely

I was at this point when a friend I play with that is just about a scratch golfer helped me out during a round. Thanks for the response though. I would still like to take a lesson or two because now that I am striking my irons well, I am struggling to hit driver straight and far. It is so hard to put it all together in any single round and when you do come close you still have to control the mental aspect. What a game!!!!

On 8/6/2021 at 11:37 AM, jared52 said:

#1 - only do what @augolf1716 said.

#2 - sounds like you might be casting. I have this problem and when I default back to it, I’m always 10-20% short of what I should be. Give this drill a try: 

So a friend I play with who is pretty good watched me hit about 20 balls and then we played 9 holes. I was doing a couple of things that he noticed and helped me correct.

1st, I was casting a little bit and also trying to help the ball up. This was killing my distance even when I did make solid contact. 

2nd, The reason I was not making consistent contact was that dirty S word....that's right....the Shanks. I shanked nearly every shot and when I didn't shank it I came in with my club face open. 

He had me hit about 10-20 shots setting the ball up directly between 2 tees and I couldn't hit the tee. This helped me get rig of the shank part of it, 

I still really struggled with casting and trying to help the ball up. He made me start addressing the ball with my club face extremely close, and about 5-6 inches back behind the ball. He said not to even look at the ball. Just swing the club. The ball just happens to be in the way. I tried this and Man oh Man. I havent mishit since. I have gained abut 15-20 yards on nearly every club. 

I was hitting my PW about 105, now I am sailing PW over greens at 140. I have gained 2 clubs distance on every thing but Driver. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

This is a call out to all the golfers out there. @augolf1716. I have been playing golf pretty heavily for the last year. I never played more than 2 times a year prior to that so I never got really into it until the last year.

I have improved my game dramatically the last few months up until last week. I drive well. I chip well. I had been hitting my irons well, but something happened last week and I can't figure out what it is. Now, every time I swing an Iron (long or short) I just clunk it. I am not necessarily hitting fat or thin, but the contact is just piss poor. I have tried everything I know to try to fix the problem with zero success. I can't fix it because I don't know what the cause is. I have tried changing ball placement, stance, grip, swing plane, etc and it doesn't matter what I do it is just poor contact. I can send you a video of my swing (sorry I do not know how to post it on here) 

Any and all tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. It has ruined the game for me. I can't enjoy playing because literally every shot I make that isn't driver (I crush driver) is horrible and only travels a portion of the distance it should. 

If you already have a video or videos and you have a youtube account, just upload it to YT and copy the links here. Most smart phones can upload videos to YT directly from your camera/photos, and it takes seconds to post.

My initial two thoughts on what you describe is either a casting on the downswing, which can be caused by a multitude of things, or a severe opening of the face of the club on the initial takeaway, which can lead to all kinds of contact issues. I'm currently battling the second issue right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

If you already have a video or videos and you have a youtube account, just upload it to YT and copy the links here. Most smart phones can upload videos to YT directly from your camera/photos, and it takes seconds to post.

My initial two thoughts on what you describe is either a casting on the downswing, which can be caused by a multitude of things, or a severe opening of the face of the club on the initial takeaway, which can lead to all kinds of contact issues. I'm currently battling the second issue right now.

Well, I have somewhat fixed the problem. Friend told me I was coming in with club face way open similar to what you said. He had me close face at address, and then also to back up 4 inches behind the ball at address and just swing. So far hitting much better. Still open for tips. Here is my best attempt at a video. @boomstick  @augolf1716

Edited by Tigerpro2a

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well, I have somewhat fixed the problem. Friend told me I was coming in with club face way open similar to what you said. He had me close face at address, and then also to back up 4 inches behind the ball at address and just swing. So far hitting much better. Still open for tips. Here is my best attempt at a video. @boomstick  @augolf1716

So, yeah, you definitely have some of same issue I have. It's part of your immediate takeaway where you roll your wrists backwards slightly as you start to take the club away. When I start running into this problem, my thought becomes trying to keep the emblem on my glove hand pointed towards the ball on the takeaway and never pointed up towards the sky. I try to think of the back of my left hand mirroring my clubface. The other thing I try to work on is rotating my left shoulder more under my swing instead of rotating around my spine. When I feel my shoulder rotate more horizontally, I feel like I lay open the club on my takeaway. When I feel more vertical turn in my shoulders, I feel like I have a better, more square takeaway.

27 minutes ago, boomstick said:

So, yeah, you definitely have some of same issue I have. It's part of your immediate takeaway where you roll your wrists backwards slightly as you start to take the club away. When I start running into this problem, my thought becomes trying to keep the emblem on my glove hand pointed towards the ball on the takeaway and never pointed up towards the sky. I try to think of the back of my left hand mirroring my clubface. The other thing I try to work on is rotating my left shoulder more under my swing instead of rotating around my spine. When I feel my shoulder rotate more horizontally, I feel like I lay open the club on my takeaway. When I feel more vertical turn in my shoulders, I feel like I have a better, more square takeaway.

I get what you are saying on the take away. As for the shoulder rotation part....If I am understanding you correctly, to get more vertical rotation I would need more bend, right? Would this not then cause my swing plane to become more steep and vertical as well? Maybe I am misunderstanding you. I used to have a really steep swing which caused massive slice issues. I have since gotten flatter and come inside out better and corrected that. I appreciate the tips though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I also feel like the wrist roll back to try to create lag as well. I think that is a mental thing where I don't feel like I get any lag or shaft lean without breaking wrist backwards.

t

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I get what you are saying on the take away. As for the shoulder rotation part....If I am understanding you correctly, to get more vertical rotation I would need more bend, right? Would this not then cause my swing plane to become more steep and vertical as well? Maybe I am misunderstanding you. I used to have a really steep swing which caused massive slice issues. I have since gotten flatter and come inside out better and corrected that. I appreciate the tips though.

For me, it wouldn't be more bend. It would just feel like my left shoulder is working more down and my right shoulder working more up. What I see in that last video feels to me like you're shoulders are working on a flat plane as if you were standing straight up and rotating to your right. So, even though you're bent at the waist and your spine angle is in good position, you're shoulders aren't rotating perpendicular to that spine angle.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

For me, it wouldn't be more bend. It would just feel like my left shoulder is working more down and my right shoulder working more up. What I see in that last video feels to me like you're shoulders are working on a flat plane as if you were standing straight up and rotating to your right. So, even though you're bent at the waist and your spine angle is in good position, you're shoulders aren't rotating perpendicular to that spine angle.

I get what you are saying now. I think I do that more so with the driver than my irons. Do you have any other critiques? Ugly swing? Bad hips? LOL anything.