Finebaum on Washington State president’s SEC comment

aubiefifty

Paul Finebaum eviscerates Washington State president’s ‘predatory SEC’ comments

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
3 minutes

Washington State president

Golden State Warriors and former Washington State guard Klay Thompson, left, speaks with school president Kirk Schulz as the school retires Thompson's jersey number during halftime of an NCAA college basketball game between Washington State and Oregon State in Pullman, Wash., Saturday, Jan. 18, 2020. (AP Photo/Young Kwak)AP

Paul Finebaum understands hard feelings.

But the SEC Network analyst said the past week’s comments surrounding conference re-alignment have been nothing short of “ridiculous.”

“I love people who pander to the home base,” Finebaum told me and Lee Shirvanian on Thursday during “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5. “You have the president of Washington State who accused the SEC of being predatory. ...

“I know it sounds like we’re all homers down here when we defend the SEC, but I think it’s a fact that I have yet to have anyone show anything to the contrary where the SEC raided the Big 12.”

Washington State’s Kirk Schulz didn’t hold back Tuesday.

“What the SEC has done is unify the other conferences in a way that nothing else could have, in terms of working together,” Schulz said. “A lot of people now are very concerned about the predatory nature of the SEC. More presidents are talking. There’s a lot of back and forth.”

Finebaum ripped the university president this week on his show.

“You’re the president of a university, Dr. Schulz. Do you understand the definition of ‘predatory’? You probably wouldn’t at Washington State.

“I also seem to remember the Pac-12 going after Colorado and (Utah) a couple of years ago. Maybe you’re the one who’s predatory. Did Colorado and (Utah) help your bottom line significantly? All those television sets in Salt Lake and Boulder now watching your games? But I need to know more about Schulz, because the idea of accusing the SEC of being predatory — Dr. Schulz, do you remember 10 years ago when your league tried to hijack the Big 12? That’s what’s so funny about all this. I get that Texas may have been the instigator but you were also the receiver. It was nearly a merger 11 years ago between the Pac-12 and Big 12. ... So now you’re accusing others? I’ll say it for the billionth time: The SEC took a phone call. That’s all they did. This is not a shameless defense of the SEC. I’ll leave that to others. I’m just spitting the truth here.”

It's Paul Finebaum, the epitome of homer. And A$$hole. Attacking someone who is much more intelligent than he has always been his M.O.  

Finebaum is a coward that ESPN has given a voice to.  He attacks from behind because he knows it will incite people.

Sorry, but the Washington State President  has a point, whether we like it or not. And it's his right to hold an opinion. Although today...

Yes Texas and Oklahoma asked to join, but it's way more complicated than that.  

The SEC did more than just take a phone call or two.  Much more.

The SEC acted like the most powerful nation in the world: nudged it's weight around, and called the shots, and got what it wanted.  In the world we live in, that is fair.

It's too bad that the Pac-12 doesn't have the power that the SEC wields...

26 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

It's Paul Finebaum, the epitome of homer. And A$$hole. Attacking someone who is much more intelligent than he has always been his M.O.  

Finebaum is a coward that ESPN has given a voice to.  He attacks from behind because he knows it will incite people.

Sorry, but the Washington State President  has a point, whether we like it or not. And it's his right to hold an opinion. Although today...

Yes Texas and Oklahoma asked to join, but it's way more complicated than that.  

The SEC did more than just take a phone call or two.  Much more.

The SEC acted like the most powerful nation in the world: nudged it's weight around, and called the shots, and got what it wanted.  In the world we live in, that is fair.

It's too bad that the Pac-12 doesn't have the power that the SEC wields...

Ironic that the SEC has the most passionate fans who love CFB the most will play the biggest role in destroying the sport 

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

“You’re the president of a university, Dr. Schulz. Do you understand the definition of ‘predatory’? You probably wouldn’t at Washington State.

Lol SEC definitely was not predatory here as UTA and OU reached out to the SEC (as I understand it) but Finebaum needs to STFU saying stuff like this. It just discredits his whole point

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol SEC definitely was not predatory here as UTA and OU reached out to the SEC (as I understand it) but Finebaum needs to STFU saying stuff like this. It just discredits his whole point

if he was right why should he shut up? curious. i do not agree with everything the man says but i tune in some when nothing is happening. same with al.com. i do not hate them either even tho folks get mad when i post an auburn article they posted. there is not many sources left to get free info anymore. even southern papers will give you one or two free articles and then want you to subscribe for more. and articles are the life blood of a site like this. still love your avie and hope to get a tattoo like that once i finish with all this skin cancer crap.

• Like 1

I am not a Finebaum fan but a lot of what he said was true. Not the part about all the SEC did was take a call, we all know it was more complicated then that. The points Finebaum brought up about Utah and Colorado and how Pac12 and Big12 looked at making a deal years ago is true. So basically Finebaum is saying people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Finebaum on Washington State president’s SEC comment