Fall Practice Observations and Videos

toddc

Sounds like the o-line was a disaster, even worse in pass pro than last year. I'm not freaking out just yet because they have been cross training, but not good either. Still not sure why Manning is running with the 2's, he may have been our best guy last year. Bro Hamm just not a tackle. Lot of folks defend him but there just has to be a better option there. Let him go to guard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Bro Hamm just not a tackle. Lot of folks defend him but there just has to be a better option there. Let him go to guard. 

Probably would if we had any tackle depth.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Probably would if we had any tackle depth.

I really didn't think Coffey was bad at all last year, but I know he's undersized. It sucks but hopefully better days ahead for that group

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, au302 said:

I really didn't think Coffey was bad at all last year, but I know he's undersized. It sucks but hopefully better days ahead for that group

He is up to 300lbs

• Like 1

We all knew the OL wasn't going to be fixed in a single off season. Being respectable at run blocking and at least knowing the assignments on passing downs will be an improvement. Lord willing we will get better playcalling from Bobo to mask these issues in pass protection. He doesn't have to be Dan Mullen against us in '19 but cutting out the plays that take four seconds to develop with no hot read is a start. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Maybe if a different person asks the question, so here goes: Where is Keiondre Jones?

He's been out there, but for whatever reason he's slid down the depth chart.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

He's been out there, but for whatever reason he's slid down the depth chart.

He was one of the better pieces last year. Interesting to say the least.

• Like 1

Part of it for the offense could also be it's the first time for the skill position players to go live with Harsin's system of reading defenses and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. The offensive players and coaches will now go to school on the film. I continue to believe those first 2 real games, both tune ups, are going to give the offense the extra time they need beyond fall camp, to get all their reads down and the kinks ironed out.

• Like 3

Let the best man play period. If it is DD then let him start. No time for games. Guys need to learn how to handle pressure and how not to throw in double coverage. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Let the beat man play period. If it is DD then let him start. No time for games. Guys need to learn how to handle pressure and how not to throw in double coverage. 

I don't think that will be a problem with this group of coaches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Part of it for the offense could also be it's the first time for the skill position players to go live with Harsin's system of reading defenses and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. The offensive players and coaches will now go to school on the film. I continue to believe those first 2 real games, both tune ups, are going to give the offense the extra time they need beyond fall camp, to get all their reads down and the kinks ironed out.

I mean, they had all spring. It's not like this is the first time.  Sure it wasn't dumbed down a-day, but they did scrimmages 

Keep this in mind- the o line is 8 months into brand new football terminology, scheme, and technique. Doing that in a controlled practice is one thing, and doing it when the defense is live, full speed, and running stunts and blitzes is another entirely.

It'll take several weeks, film break downs, and personnel changes/mixes to get it right but we'll get there.

As for the turnovers-  just unacceptable at any level. That can't happen.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Let the best man play period. If it is DD then let him start. No time for games. Guys need to learn how to handle pressure and how not to throw in double coverage. 

I’d love to see DD become some kind of freshman phenom. I just wonder if Harsin and Bobo are thinking that Davis being cool under pressure against guys he knows on defense in an empty JHS is just too different than stepping into a prime time game against Penn St or LSU in the road. It would be asking a lot from him to hold it together in his first year and lead us to wins in those environments. With that being said, if Bo just isn’t making any improvements, you can’t trot him into those games knowing how he is on the road. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’d love to see DD become some kind of freshman phenom. I just wonder if Harsin and Bobo are thinking that Davis being cool under pressure against guys he knows on defense in an empty JHS is just too different than stepping into a prime time game against Penn St or LSU in the road. It would be asking a lot from him to hold it together in his first year and lead us to wins in those environments. With that being said, if Bo just isn’t making any improvements, you can’t trot him into those games knowing how he is on the road. 

Well it should be different for the veterans ahead of him but they seem to keep on making the same mistakes over and over. I rather take a raw DD, if he understands to not force turnovers or handle the pocket while it collapses. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dee balled out last night, but I think he's currently battling TJ for QB2. 

Doesn't mean he can't/won't challenge Bo for QB1. I'm just not sure that's the case quite yet. 

Next scrimmage will be very interesting. Would like to see DD work against the defensive 2's or 1's, instead of the 3rd team like I think he did last night. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bo is the only QB that fit that narrative that can come in as a true freshman and PLAY- START??? and what results have we gotten from his TWO YEARS of starting???

43 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well it should be different for the veterans ahead of him but they seem to keep on making the same mistakes over and over. I rather take a raw DD, if he understands to not force turnovers or handle the pocket while it collapses. 

Plus Bo has had plenty of opportunities to prove that he can do better under live fire and he mostly hasn't. Previous staff had a lot to do with that but they weren't the whole story. 

Cool is cool no matter the circumstances. That's why so few are truly cool.

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Pretty sure Bo led the league in throw aways last year. Wonder how he is being coached in that regard. Not that Bo has earned the benefit of the doubt. Turnovers are turnovers.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Plus Bo has had plenty of opportunities to prove that he can do better under live fire and he mostly hasn't. Previous staff had a lot to do with that but they weren't the whole story. 

Cool is cool no matter the circumstances. That's why so few are truly cool.

Need Bo to watch this from one of the greatest movies ever:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Let the best man play period. If it is DD then let him start

That'll make all of our Bo vs TJ convos more pointless than they already were 😃

• Love 1

I find it strange that I have seen something about all the newcomers but Dreshun. Has anybody heard anything?