Where Does men's team Stand After Summer

toddc

21 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I am surprised Alabama is rated so high, with really only 1 quality player returning in Shakelford. They did bring in some recruits.

I also wish Auburn U would update the basket ball roster. School is in, and we know who is on the team. Geez, need to keep that site updated guys....

No fun to admit this, but on paper Shackelford/Quinerly/Davison/Burnett is a tier above what we can throw out in the backcourt. Doesn’t mean it’ll play out that way when we tip off, though. 

I would say the reverse is true at the frontcourt positions. 

Edited by Dunndone414

43 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

No fun to admit this, but on paper Shackelford/Quinerly/Davison/Burnett is a tier above what we can throw out in the backcourt. Doesn’t mean it’ll play out that way when we tip off, though. 

That's true in the backcourt. We are transfer driven on that side, while ALabama really has some good mix of transfers, veterans and ofc Davison. 

It will be interesting to see if our backcourt is a plus when we need them, bc we can't rely on everything being done on the frontcourt to succeed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Even after the successes of the past few months, would’ve really loved to get either TyTy or Scoot. Both legit NBA talents that could’ve canceled out Davidson imo 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Where Does men's team Stand After Summer

25 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

What does JG mean when he says Al Flanigan and Williams are non-communicator’s?

Not really vocal on the court is how I took it.

• Like 2

Yeah, Williams especially tends to be a mute out there. I expect less communication from dudes like Flanigan because defensively he's on the ball the vast majority of the time. Your bigs have to be your best communicators.

I hope Flanagan is recovering from his scooter injuries well enough to be able to play. Any news on this front?

52 minutes ago, toddc said:

I hope Flanagan is recovering from his scooter injuries well enough to be able to play. Any news on this front?

Nothing public. 

Now I see the surgery thread.

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2021 at 7:14 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think it'd take a miracle of misfortune for this not to be our best season honestly. 5 losses to me seems really possible, with the blend of experienced guys that can hit the ground running, and dudes who know the game behind some of our star young players. If someone comes in and plays on the level of our big 3...you could see less than that

I really like KD Johnson's potential in this system. Either is a 2 guard that is the least accounted for player in the lineup, or the guy to come off the bench against the lesser guards on a squad. 

Just to bump this post

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

Just to bump this post

A late offensive rebound vs UConn and even 5 losses (pre MM anyway) might seem like a pessimistic outlook.

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A late offensive rebound vs UConn and even 5 losses (pre MM anyway) might seem like a pessimistic outlook.

Is there really a game on the schedule that you can mark down as a likely L right now? I mean, Flanigan might not be 100% on offense just yet, but with him back in the lineup, we don't really lack for a whole lot. At Bama and at Tennessee both look like tough matchups, but Bama has seemingly declined since knocking off the Zags, and UT isn't until the end of February, by which time we'll hopefully be hitting on all cylinders. Not to say they're automatic wins by any stretch (hell, at USCe tonight probably won't be all that easy, because winning on the road usually isn't), but so long as the big 3 plus either Green or Jasper stay healthy, I don't think there's anybody in the SEC we can't take. I doubt we'll be able to run it out from here to go 31-1 in the regular season, but 5 losses in the regular season still seems like it might be a bit pessimistic with this group.

Now, granted, I don't have the kind of read on basketball that I do on football or baseball, because I never played it in an organized fashion, but it seems to me that we could legitimately field a solid starting lineup with nothing but backups, and several of the players can play multiple positions. If ever we had a team that appears set up to make a run at immortality, this has got to be it.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Is there really a game on the schedule that you can mark down as a likely L right now? I mean, Flanigan might not be 100% on offense just yet, but with him back in the lineup, we don't really lack for a whole lot. At Bama and at Tennessee both look like tough matchups, but Bama has seemingly declined since knocking off the Zags, and UT isn't until the end of February, by which time we'll hopefully be hitting on all cylinders. Not to say they're automatic wins by any stretch (hell, at USCe tonight probably won't be all that easy, because winning on the road usually isn't), but so long as the big 3 plus either Green or Jasper stay healthy, I don't think there's anybody in the SEC we can't take. I doubt we'll be able to run it out from here to go 31-1 in the regular season, but 5 losses in the regular season still seems like it might be a bit pessimistic with this group.

Now, granted, I don't have the kind of read on basketball that I do on football or baseball, because I never played it in an organized fashion, but it seems to me that we could legitimately field a solid starting lineup with nothing but backups, and several of the players can play multiple positions. If ever we had a team that appears set up to make a run at immortality, this has got to be it.

Last sentence is golden. I think as long as we continue to play high-caliber defense and make our baskets there isn't a single team we can't beat. This team is scary good, but, that also worries me at the same time. 

I need to see us play a bit more on the road before i start thinking this team is getting to the elite level. They have the ability to be an elite team with how hard they play on defense. But i don't know that we are there yet. Remember is was not that long ago that it took a big comeback to beat St Louis on the road. These next few SEC games where we have USCe, bama, and ol miss on the road will tell us a lot. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I think they drop a game between @Alabama and @Ole Miss back to back. Those are just two locations that have been hell for Auburn, even with Ole Miss being pretty below average (and that's being nice) and Alabama's defense being bad. Just me believing in trends. And I believe there's a 4 game stretch at the back end that includes @Florida and @Tenn. If they do dominate this upcoming stretch, they should have clinched the SEC's 1 seed by the last month of the season, which would make me think one of those two can be a trap game. I give it a floor of 2 more losses personally, but they're all games Aub should be favored in 

• Like 1

One thing that helps with Ole Miss this time around is that Auburn has seen multiple zone teams and multiple teams that press the ball full court. Varying results definitely, but they do have that on tape. And Jabari is the best option they've had to bust open a zone/full court press in Bruce's tenure

AND their point is 5'9, so our PGs can actually look over him when he's pressing 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think they drop a game between @Alabama and @Ole Miss back to back. Those are just two locations that have been hell for Auburn, even with Ole Miss being pretty below average (and that's being nice) and Alabama's defense being bad. Just me believing in trends. And I believe there's a 4 game stretch at the back end that includes @Florida and @Tenn. If they do dominate this upcoming stretch, they should have clinched the SEC's 1 seed by the last month of the season, which would make me think one of those two can be a trap game. I give it a floor of 2 more losses personally, but they're all games Aub should be favored in 

That seems plenty reasonable. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

AND their point is 5'9, so our PGs can actually look over him when he's pressing 

That's going to be a big deal, because it means Jasper and Green (who has played better defense than I expected) should be able to play him straight up okay, leaving Flan for any bigger guards they may have. Weird things can always happen, and on the road in the SEC is brutal, but I sure hope we're able to put Ole Miss away with ease.

• Like 1

Look at last night's game where Kessler got a foul early and Jabari got two fouls early. It would not have taken much for the two of them to have been on the bench for a LOT of the game. Don't forget the refs! My guess is we will see some physicality similar to the Saint Louis game at times vs. SEC competition (UK maybe?). I expect us to just have a bad game here and there. But I sure hope I am wrong!

On 1/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Bama is a “hit shots” team, much like we were in 18-19. If their guards are on from 3pt (perhaps aided by a quick Coleman whistle against Jabari and Kessler) they can easily beat us. 

The nice thing about our team this season is we have ways to win if the outside shot isn’t going in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Bama is a “hit shots” team, much like we were in 18-19. If their guards are on from 3pt (perhaps aided by a quick Coleman whistle against Jabari and Kessler) they can easily beat us. 

The nice thing about our team this season is we have ways to win if the outside shot isn’t going in. 

No doubt. And I wouldn't be shocked if they had a massive disparity in 3 pt percentage between the home and away games. The one thing that does scare me is that quite a few guards have been able to beat KD off the dribble as of late (he was a good bit better vs USC) and they'll have a height advantage with their 3 best guards vs our 3 best guards (now more than likely there won't be much of a time where they'll have all 3 in and we'll have Wendell-Zep-KD in), so I could see them generating quite a few of those "disrespectful" threes

Just shooting over a guy or fake going to the rim and doing a mean snatchback three. We're going to have to do a much better job of staying in front of their guards than we have in previous years. Outside of the F4 year, their stable always seems to get their better of ours so Im hoping that trend breaks 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby