Tiger Talk - 8/25/21

RunInRed

Auburn AD Allen Greene

-- Greene thanks Auburn fans for being comfortable with last year’s attendance limitations, with an emphasis on students attending games. Excited to have full capacity for this year, beginning Sept. 4 at home against Akron.

-- On navigating the last year-plus as AD, Greene says you have to accept it’s a volatile environment. “You don’t have to like it, but you have to accept it.” There was constant communication and preparation in case there was need to pivot. “We’re going to keep on marching forward... Last year we were just surviving. This year, we need to thrive."

-- On what he has seen from practice this fall: Energy. Says the players reflect their coaches.

Bryan Harsin

image.png
Photo: via IG/scoopphillips

-- Harsin joining the show by phone/Zoom, since he’s still isolating at home following his positive COVID-19 test.

-- Harsin says he’s “feeling good” and fortunate for that. Reiterates what he told the media earlier in the day. Assuming no setbacks, he’ll be back in the building Monday.

-- On where his team stands 10 days out, says that’s when you’re “fully into your gameplan mode.”

-- Team is still in phase where they have some “repeats” of reps to correct things. Wants to get to the point where it’s dialed in, one rep, get things done properly.

-- Harsin is confident he’ll be back in the facility on Monday. Team will practice Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as is prepares for Akron.

-- Newly minted team captains Owen Pappoe and Chandler Wooten have done a “great job” of being leaders, dating back to the spring. Both are on leadership council and have been very consistent throughout the offseason.

-- More on Wooten: Says he proved his leadership every day. Adds that Pappoe and Bo Nix were the first two players to sit down in his office and meet with him after he was hired.

-- Apparently there’s a new sign in the elevator of the athletics complex that says it’s for injured players only; all healthy players need to take the stairs. Harsin estimates he climbs the stairs there 18 times a day. Wants that blue-collar mentality on his team.

-- On position battles: It’s about watching the execution on a consistent basis at those positions. Also adds they want starters who will contribute to special teams. “If you’ve been chosen to be a starter right now, it’s not time to sit back and relax.”

-- The No. 1 focus in the first staff/team meeting was on Auburn -- “just on us” and solving any issues the team had at that point. He doesn’t want to compare to last season or anything; the focus is on today and moving forward. “What happened last season, I wasn’t a part of that.”

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/08/live-updates-auburn-ad-allen-greene-bryan-harsin-on-tiger-talk.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

First time in Tiger Talk history that players have joined the show for interviews. I'll summarize the highlights below and add some of my own commentary in italics.

The first two players in the history of the show to be interviewed are:

Chandler Wooten & Derick Hall:

• Hall says Bert Watts brings the energy, sometimes crazy out on the practice fields. 
  • Hall excited to be playing EDGE, moving between DE and OLB, and putting different skills on film.
  • Wooten says Schmedding is an excellent teacher, reiterates that he's learned more in these 8 months than probably his previous years. The theme of learning more fine details of the game continues among these players.
  • When asked about the DL, Hall jumps in mentioning Marcus Harris first as standing out, Tony Fair next. Everyone mentions Harris. He's making a huge impact in camp.

Bo Nix & Nick Brahms:

• Brahms says OL has more checks with the QBs to set blocking now in new system. Finally trusting players to adjust on the fly.
  • Nix says that the new scheme gives him the lattitude to check plays and take advantage of the defensive looks. This new coaching staff is going to make sure these guys are ready mentally. It's such a change from the previous regime. Ton of time was spent in the film room this summer. As far as those checks, it's hots and out leveraging the defense type stuff.
  • Nix chimes in with that he feels more comfortable knowing where his eyes need to be and letting that defender tell him where to go with the ball, not everything is simply progression based like Gus ball. Bo mentioned getting check downs, to TANK.
  • Brahms with some good humor about the QBs being under center more than ever - "Bo probably wishes I had a towel back toward the end of practice"

I’m happy the players are finally really learning the sport. It’s sad we were led by a fraud for so many years. 

Still blows my mind when “professional” pundits on tv or radio say Auburn is going to regret letting go of Gus. They either A. have no intel or even thoroughly analyzed the situation or B. they don’t know anything about the sport. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’m happy the players are finally really learning the sport. It’s sad we were led by a fraud for so many years. 

Still blows my mind when “professional” pundits on tv or radio say Auburn is going to regret letting go of Gus. They either A. have no intel or even thoroughly analyzed the situation or B. they don’t know anything about the sport. 

@twitter has made everyone an expert on everything all for the sake of likes and clicks.  It will be society's downfall.

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

@twitter has made everyone an expert on everything all for the sake of likes and clicks.  It will be society's downfall.

I agree with that for sure but I’ve heard people who get paid 6 figures to talk about a kid’s sport say that. It’s mind blowing. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, woodford said:

Uh oh!

woodie you're gonna get it now!

Que the Gus apologists in 3...2...1...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, woodford said:

Will be interesting to see how he does at UCF.

9 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Most frauds start out successful then people catch on and they have to split. Unless you’re the Auburn leadership then you give them 7 more years on a contract. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Unless Gus overhauls his own philosophy, I won't much be credence into his results at UCF. Can he win there? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's fixed the flaws that led to his firing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Unless Gus overhauls his own philosophy, I won't much be credence into his results at UCF. Can he win there? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's fixed the flaws that led to his firing.

His flaws are fundamental to his personality. Almost everything he's done since taking that job has demonstrated it. 

Like you said, he might win down there, but that doesn't mean much with regards to big time football.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

First time in Tiger Talk history that players have joined the show for interviews. I'll summarize the highlights below and add some of my own commentary in italics.

The first two players in the history of the show to be interviewed are:

Chandler Wooten & Derick Hall:

• Hall says Bert Watts brings the energy, sometimes crazy out on the practice fields. 
  • Hall excited to be playing EDGE, moving between DE and OLB, and putting different skills on film.
  • Wooten says Schmedding is an excellent teacher, reiterates that he's learned more in these 8 months than probably his previous years. The theme of learning more fine details of the game continues among these players.
  • When asked about the DL, Hall jumps in mentioning Marcus Harris first as standing out, Tony Fair next. Everyone mentions Harris. He's making a huge impact in camp.

Bo Nix & Nick Brahms:

• Brahms says OL has more checks with the QBs to set blocking now in new system. Finally trusting players to adjust on the fly.
  • Nix says that the new scheme gives him the lattitude to check plays and take advantage of the defensive looks. This new coaching staff is going to make sure these guys are ready mentally. It's such a change from the previous regime. Ton of time was spent in the film room this summer. As far as those checks, it's hots and out leveraging the defense type stuff.
  • Nix chimes in with that he feels more comfortable knowing where his eyes need to be and letting that defender tell him where to go with the ball, not everything is simply progression based like Gus ball. Bo mentioned getting check downs, to TANK.
  • Brahms with some good humor about the QBs being under center more than ever - "Bo probably wishes I had a towel back toward the end of practice"

Good info Valley, especially in the Nix/Brahms part about the reads. What a difference and the more they work on it the better this offense will be. The good thing is they have 2 tune up opponents to get real game experience with it too. Can't wait to see this offense in action in an actual game.

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

As long as he wins and is able to recruit, I don’t think anything else matters to UCF.

3 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Same song, different verse. UCF might have a top 20 recruiting class in 22 for all we know. The flaws will slowly but surely be exposed over time. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

His flaws are fundamental to his personality. Almost everything he's done since taking that job has demonstrated it. 

Like you said, he might win down there, but that doesn't mean much with regards to big time football.

100%. Sad really because there was nothing like watching that offense roll. 

18 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

As long as he wins and is able to recruit, I don’t think anything else matters to UCF.

They want to take the next step and be a big boy football program there. He won't do that for them. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They want to take the next step and be a big boy football program there. He won't do that for them. 

Guess he will have that opportunity. He will own the success or failure of it. IMO

9 hours ago, woodford said:

I'm going with B...

8 hours ago, woodford said:

Most frauds start out successful then people catch on and they have to split. Unless you’re the Auburn leadership then you give them 7 more years on a contract. 

Not sure you could really call him a fraud...he thought he was good.  "Remember Jerry, its not a lie if you believe it".  --George Costanza

• Haha 3

Maybe this belongs in a different thread, but I've got a question regarding Gus's buy-out:

Does taking the UCF job reduce the amount Auburn has to pay him? 

I know other contracts have been structured this way but I don't know the details of Gus's.

Edited by homersapien

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Maybe this belongs in a different thread, but I've got a question regarding Gus's buy-out:

Does taking the UCF job reduce the amount Auburn has to pay him? 

I know other contracts have been structured this way but I don't know the details of Gus's.

From what I remember it is guaranteed. 

• Thanks 1