Blame game goes on without end

aubiefifty

44 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Gosh, I don't remember Slade getting any blowback from fans. A lot of the negativity starts when fans' expectations of a player or the team are too high in the first place. So much hype and media coverage puts a ton of pressure to perform on these kids who are mostly 18-22 years old. 

Then again, nobody really listens to Phillip Marshall do they? 

All I remember hearing about Slade was that he was the size of a coke machine.  That was a positive towards him.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Unfortunately, actual football games just brings on different types of bickering, negativity, and discussions.  That's never going to go away.

You nailed this. We could go 15-0, have Bo and Tank 1-2 for the Heisman, and set the all time record for fewest points allowed, and people on this board will complain. Nix throws for 3,795 yards, 28 td's with 2 int's and people will complain that his footwork was wrong and he should have thrown for 3,800 yards. Tank rushes for 2,000 and 16 TD's and people will complain he fumbled in the 2nd quarter of a blowout win. 

• Like 2

Man, Marshall *really* needs to just retire. At one point I enjoyed reading his material because he really seemed to understand Auburn’s unique situation, including the challenges and what makes Auburn a special place to those that know it. At this point, with this kind of drivel, he is embarrassing himself

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, fredst said:

Man, Marshall *really* needs to just retire. At one point I enjoyed reading his material because he really seemed to understand Auburn’s unique situation, including the challenges and what makes Auburn a special place to those that know it. At this point, with this kind of drivel, he is embarrassing himself

He doesn't have any creativity to come up with something worthwhile so he's now going to use Bo nix like Tim Tebow was used. You would hear how people HATED Tebow because of his religion when in reality you could count on one hand people that talked about his religion. With Bo you'll get the he could save the world and be attacked but in reality you don't see Bo solely blamed for anything. 

QB's are going to be polarizing more times than not and Bo has a following so he's making sure his story gets clicks.

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He doesn't have any creativity to come up with something worthwhile so he's now going to use Bo nix like Tim Tebow was used. You would hear how people HATED Tebow because of his religion when in reality you could count on one hand people that talked about his religion. With Bo you'll get the he could save the world and be attacked but in reality you don't see Bo solely blamed for anything. 

QB's are going to be polarizing more times than not and Bo has a following so he's making sure his story gets clicks.

One thing to take note of is if anyone noticed, the players selected 2 defensive players as captains.

So many times the QB is always 1 of them, but I wonder if Bo is just not a team leader-type on this team?

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

One thing to take note of is if anyone noticed, the players selected 2 defensive players as captains.

So many times the QB is always 1 of them, but I wonder if Bo is just not a team leader-type on this team?

I don't know but I think if it's true about leading the group about covid that would certainly effect things

Or maybe he's a good leader but they are great leaders. But you're right it's usually the QB especially when he's an upper classman 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know but I think if it's true about leading the group about covid that would certainly effect things

That's an interesting point, hadn't thought of it from that view when he wasn't announced as a captain.

We'll have 4 each week.  I'll be interested to see who the 2 others that are put out there.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:25 AM, boisnumber1 said:

No idea why Holland is on this list. Ellis Johnson's comments are the epitome of coachspeak. It's not like he then writes "And Holland went on to play in the NFL..." 🤷

Jake was a good kid. He was an awful LB. Let’s move on..

On 8/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, aubiefifty said:

people on this board gave holland hell. it was pretty bad. his dad left because of it the best i remember. i think that was what you were asking.

His dad was a huge reason Jake caught hell. Pre-season, he was doing as a good dad should do; he was pumping up his son on message boards and enjoying the process. Once it was obvious that there were huge shortcomings, and the criticism became louder, he remained a good dad and got the hell off the message boards.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, homersapien said:

Four years in the NFL.

Also,

Holland played at Auburn from 2015 to 2017. As a junior in 2017, he was named an All-American by Sports Illustrated after recording 45 tackles and 10 sacks.[2] After the season, he decided to forgo his senior year and enter the 2018 NFL Draft.[3][4] 

- Wikipedia

You’re talking about the Jeff Holland, no?

Edited by Swamp Eagle

21 hours ago, saminbama said:

I know this pre-internet, but do you remember Jerry Beasley, Terry's younger brother?  He was always good for giving up at least 1 touchdown per game.

Lordy, I do. Hooper Academy. He was pretty bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol. See? Here we go! 

Curious…why do you bring up a Jeremy vs Bo reaction scenario? I remember pulling like hell for JJ to succeed; the guy was a monster as a backup. It seemed to me he couldn’t handle the pressure once he became ‘the guy.’ I’m confounded to this day as to what happened with him.  He had a rifle for an arm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I have my opinion on that. I’ll leave it at that. Don’t want to blame anyone wrongfully.

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

This is pretty much a worthless article written by PAM.  Fans are always going to be critical of players.  Some might end up being pretty good, King Dunlap was another player that was criticized pretty heavily and he had a multiple career in the NFL.  Some might end up being pretty bad and the fans actually got it right (certain player on that list).

Fans are always going to be on the extremes.  Some will be over critical, some will make excuses, some will try to be in the middle.  Most ITT are falling into those 3 right now.

Trying to control fans emotional reaction to their favorite team not being good enough is just a stupid point to take.  PAM has never written an article critical of a player or coaching decision?  I doubt it.

PM writes just the correct amount of homer articles to stay in the good graces of who, I have no idea. And I’ve never seen a writer recycle more of the same stuff as he does.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Bo and Shivers were both captains last year.  Maybe there is something (written or unwritten) about repeating as captain. I can't imagine Shivers isn't considered one of the leaders on this team.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, cole256 said:

Idiots like this prove my point. He dislikes him somuch as if he didn't play for Auburn, literally roots against him, of course he does the same for some other QB's but be damned if you say Bo needs to straighten his feet up.......sad

Meanwhile Joey Gatewood is back playing for Gus and Allen Greene can’t find a job.

Soooo who’s the idiot?

Wonder why he hasn’t been hired?

The 50-year-old Lansing native is expected to get the job over Auburn athletic director Allen Greene. 

22 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Gosh, I don't remember Slade getting any blowback from fans. A lot of the negativity starts when fans' expectations of a player or the team are too high in the first place. So much hype and media coverage puts a ton of pressure to perform on these kids who are mostly 18-22 years old. 

Then again, nobody really listens to Phillip Marshall do they? 

I was thinking the same thing here about Slade , but fans are mostly whinny babies. I’m the worst as most of you know. 

Some of Phillips material is reaching just a bit . 

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Meanwhile Joey Gatewood is back playing for Gus and Allen Greene can’t find a job.

Soooo who’s the idiot?

Wonder why he hasn’t been hired?

The 50-year-old Lansing native is expected to get the job over Auburn athletic director Allen Greene. 

I'm sure nobody knows what you are talking about, but you are. You are still the idiot.

Edited by cole256
  • Haha 1