Pats cut Cam, name Mac Jones starter

TitanTiger

Regardless of your position on vaccines, being unvaccinated probably cost Cam his job. He tested positive after leaving the state making him sit out 5 days (3 practices) leading up to the last preseason game and gave a rookie an opening. You know that s*** didn’t go down well with Belichick. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/31/sports/patriots-release-cam-newton-name-mac-jones-starting-quarterback/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I didn't think Mac Jones would be a successful NFL QB, but he's looked really damn good in preseason

• Like 2

I don't think vaccination was the main issue, more so, it was his play. He had not been playing good at all, if you looked at him throughout camp. Mac showed up to play, despite the hate he gets from this fanbase. Dude works hard and does the right things on and off the field. He was carrying himself as a leader on the field as well. Remember JS is on the squad too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think vaccination was the main issue, more so, it was his play. He had not been playing good at all, if you looked at him throughout camp. Mac showed up to play, despite the hate he gets from this fanbase. Dude works hard and does the right things on and off the field. He was carrying himself as a leader on the field as well. Remember JS is on the squad too. 

Agreed. Mac is really, really good, and I was a fan of his while he was at Alabama. People discounted him because of the talent around him. He's a perfect fit for their system, and like you said he has done all the right things. I think he's going to have a long career there, personally.

• Like 6

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Cam had the job even though Mac was pushing him.  But right at the end, allowing Mac Jones almost a week of undivided attention while Cam couldn't even be at the facility, was a stupid move.

I don't think CAM had the job. I  I believe the patriots were doing everything possible to give Cam every opportunity. I don't think the patriots wanted Mac to start so early, but I do believe he would've eventually overcame Cam this season. If Cam had been playing lights out, even remotely decent, he would still be a patriot. Cam has been playing awful. Then you had the fact he missed some practices,  there really was no reason to keep him. So yes him missing contributing to him getting cut, but more so, he has been playing really bad, TBH. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Cam had the job even though Mac was pushing him.  Belichick consistently said Cam was their QB and he practiced with the starting units all through the preseason practice and in all the preseason games.  But right at the end, allowing Mac Jones almost a week of undivided attention while Cam couldn't even be at the facility, was a stupid move.

They are always the guy until they are no longer the guy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think CAM had the job. I  I believe the patriots were doing everything possible to give Cam every opportunity. I don't think the patriots wanted Mac to start so early, but I do believe he would've eventually overcame Cam this season. If Cam had been playing lights out, even remotely decent, he would still be a patriot. Cam has been playing awful. Then you had the fact he missed some practices,  there really was no reason to keep him. So yes him missing contributing to him getting cut, but more so, he has been playing really bad, TBH. 

I'm telling you, that's not how it was viewed in Patriot World.

This cut was not expected. Newton, who spent just one season with the Pats, had looked decent in his preseason starts. Several analysts even said they'd be truly surprised if Newton didn't start the season as New England's starting QB. 

However, things started to take a turn last week when Newton had to miss four days of practice after a COVID-19 testing mishap/misunderstanding. That opened the door for Jones, who got to spend those four days taking first-team reps and showing the coaching staff how much he's progressed over the spring and summer. Jones looked good enough that head coach Bill Belichick said that he was considering a quarterback platoon between Newton and Jones. But it appears that Belichick was impressed enough by Jones to let Newton go and move forward with a rookie QB. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-report-patriots-release-qb-cam-newton-140925736.html

Belichick is not a guy that likes starting rookies, especially at the QB spot.  Something drastic had to happen for Cam not to be the starter Week 1 and his preseason play - which was limited anyway due to the fact that they knew what they had with Cam and didn't need to risk him getting hurt with unnecessary snaps - was not that something.  He was not "awful."  He was 14 of 21 for 162 yds, 1 TD and 1 INT.  Pedestrian, but again, they weren't putting him out there to rack up numbers, simply to get him ready for the first game.  But this deal where he got himself sidelined and not even allowed on at the team facilities for 5 days was.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

They are always the guy until they are no longer the guy.

Well, he was the guy until he let Mac Jones get all the practice reps and all the coaches' attention for 5 days because of a dumb decision.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm telling you, that's not how it was viewed in Patriot World.

Belichick is not a guy that likes starting rookies, especially at the QB spot.  Something drastic had to happen for Cam not to be the starter Week 1 and his preseason play - which was limited anyway due to the fact that they knew what they had with Cam and didn't need to risk him getting hurt with unnecessary snaps - was not that something.  But this deal where he got himself sidelined and not even allowed on at the team facilities for 5 days was.

So it opened the door for him? But it wasn't the main reason he got cut. He got cut because Mac Jones showed enough to be named the starter. If Mac jones were not ready and performing like he was, which IMO was better than Cam, Cam would have not gotten cut regardless of covid protocol. Cam got cut because he is not playing good and he had to miss camp. Do you really think if Cam was playing lights out, he would've been cut? He was playing "decent." Enough to hold off Mac for at the very least the start of the season, solely because MAC was a rookie. But MAC has not been carrying himself this way. This seems very agenda driven.  And I am pro-vaccination.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well, he was the guy until he let Mac Jones get all the practice reps and all the coaches' attention for 5 days because of a dumb decision.

That's your speculation and opinion. Mac has performed well all camp and was likely to win the job regardless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

So it opened the door for him? But it wasn't the main reason he got cut. He got cut because Mac Jones showed enough to be named the starter. If Mac jones were not ready and performing like he was, which IMO was better than Cam, Cam would have not gotten cut regardless of covid protocol. Cam got cut because he is not playing good and he had to miss camp. Do you really think if Cam was playing lights out, he would've been cut? He was playing "decent." Enough to hold off Mac for at the very least the start of the season, solely because MAC was a rookie. But MAC has not been carrying himself this way. This seems very agenda driven.  And I am pro-vaccination.

Obviously if Mac Jones had sucked, Cam would still be the starter in spite of this COVID cluster****.  But to say it's not the main reason is being silly.  If he doesn't miss practice due to this, he's the starter, plain and simple.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Obviously if Mac Jones had sucked, Cam would still be the starter in spite of this COVID cluster****.  But to say it's not the main reason is being silly.  If he doesn't miss practice due to this, he's the starter, plain and simple.

Bruh, you think miss a couple of practices cost him the job? LOL. He is a ten year vet. Thinking that is silly. Lamar jackson has been sidelined twice due to covid. Why isn't he getting cut?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Regardless of your position on vaccines, being unvaccinated probably cost Cam his job. He tested positive after leaving the state making him sit out 5 days (3 practices) leading up to the last preseason game and gave a rookie an opening. You know that s*** didn’t go down well with Belichick. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/31/sports/patriots-release-cam-newton-name-mac-jones-starting-quarterback/

Are you sure on your report?

I don't remember Cam being tested positive in regards to him leaving the practice facility. The reason he was held out for 5 days was bc it is an NFL COvid protocol requirement that a player can't come back to the practice facility if they leave it without being vaccinated. 

Yes, he made  a mistake bc of him being unvaccinated, but he got cut bc Josh McDaniels offense is better suited to Jones, and Cam still can't throw the ball consistently well.

Unfortunately, Cam is now no more than a RB with limited passing skills at his age and with his injuries....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

In 2018, Bama had 3 future starting NFL QBs. And 4 WRs that went in the first round. That's just ridiculous. 

NFL talent makes coaching a whole lot easier.  It has a way of turning good coaches into great.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Totally off base. An NFL team is NOT going to cut a QB, if they have any issues at QB. They felt Jones outplayed Cam, and the only thing CAm may have hurt his chances at, was simply being on the roster.

But I never felt he was going to be the starter, and definitely not bc of his vaccine status. 

If that was the case, then Ravens would not be putting up with Lamar Jackson's continued Covid issues...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Bruh, you think miss a couple of practices cost him the job? LOL. He is a ten year vet. Thinking that is silly. Lamar jackson has been sidelined twice due to covid. Why isn't he getting cut?

Yes.  He missed either 3 or 4 practices (I've seen articles mentioning both) and 5 days of being able to be at the facility at all.  Mac Jones is a good QB and was pushing him and you give the kid 5 days of undivided attention with the coaches and possibly 4 straight practices getting all the first team reps leading up to the last preseason game.

Cam was the starter if he doesn't miss.  Period.  Full stop.  Not having the hammer lock on the job that Lamar Jackson has in Baltimore doesn't make that any less true.

Just now, steeleagle said:

Totally off base. An NFL team is NOT going to cut a QB, if they have any issues at QB. They felt Jones outplayed Cam, and the only thing CAm may have hurt his chances at, was simply being on the roster.

But I never felt he was going to be the starter, and definitely not bc of his vaccine status. 

If that was the case, then Ravens would not be putting up with Lamar Jackson's continued Covid issues...

Jones may have outplayed him, but I'm telling you, the starting job was Cam's for Week 1 at least until he got himself sidelined from the facility the week before the last preseason game.

Cam had the starting job, but not the lock on the job that someone like Jackson has in Baltimore.  Don't be naive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yes.  He missed either 3 or 4 practices (I've seen articles mentioning both) and 5 days of being able to be at the facility at all.  Mac Jones is a good QB and was pushing him and you give the kid 5 days of undivided attention with the coaches and possibly 4 straight practices getting all the first team reps leading up to the last preseason game.

Cam was the starter if he doesn't miss.  Period.  Full stop.  Not having the hammer lock on the job that Lamar Jackson has in Baltimore doesn't make that any less true.

That is my point. HE WASN'T A LOCK. For whatever reason, you think that. MAC was on his heels. The only thing Cam had over Mac was game experience. But when you aren't playing good and you aren't there, there is no reason for them to keep you. It is not like he is sidelined at the moment. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Jones may have outplayed him, but I'm telling you, the starting job was Cam's for Week 1 at least until he got himself sidelined from the facility the week before the last preseason game.

Cam had the starting job, but not the lock on the job that someone like Jackson has in Baltimore.  Don't be naive.

How can I be neive just bc I don't agree with this synopsis? Cam was a bargain, and not going to fit into Josh Daniel's offense as well...he was expendable. His vaccine stand only kept him from being on the roster...

Its easy to cut a guy not making a ton of QB money. And they feel comfortable w Jones...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That is my point. HE WASN'T A LOCK. For whatever reason, you think that. MAC was on his heels. The only thing Cam had over Mac was game experience. But when you aren't playing good and you aren't there, there is no reason for them to keep you. It is not like he is sidelined at the moment. 

He was a lock to be the starter if he doesn't have to sit out.  He just was.  Any look at Belichick's history tells you that if Cam does what he needed to do, he was going to be the starter at least early in the season.  But Cam put himself in this situation by not being vaccinated.  Only players who are not vaccinated are forced to undergo daily Covid-19 tests and are subject to the five-day reentry process that Cam got snagged in.  Lamar has no one pushing him at all in Baltimore.  Cam did.  The job was his until this happened.

• Like 2

Just now, steeleagle said:

How can I be neive just bc I don't agree with this synopsis? Cam was a bargain, and not going to fit into Josh Daniel's offense as well...he was expendable. His vaccine stand only kept him from being on the roster...

Its easy to cut a guy not making a ton of QB money. And they feel comfortable w Jones...

If he doesn't sit out 5 days and allow Jones to get all the first team reps and coaching, he's the week one starter.