Pats cut Cam, name Mac Jones starter

TitanTiger

My gripe is that They ran two different offenses with them. Cam was only passing in obviously passing situations. They ran 2 times and then on 3rd down he was allowed to pass, with Mac they had the WR spread out and allowed him to pass down the field. That wasn't the same with Cam. It's disappointing but I hope Cam is given a shot again. 

I personally think he doesn't want to be a back up. Just my opinion. He could easily be a back up. Again, it goes for risk versus reward. As a back up you have to maximize your opportunities. The only way you can call the shots if you aren't replaceable. 

• Like 1

I can't help but to feel sad how cam wasn't ever given a chance and of course you will get the guys out of the woodworks who will talk about cam can't throw that don't know a lick of football

• Like 3

Every teams offense was predicated on him run. Carolina he made something out of nothing. Their olines were terrible. Patriots was a bad fit from the jump. Brady saying he was out spoke volumes. Just like to see came with a team that actually has weapons. We will see how good Mac actually is in about a week.

Terrible fit for both sides from the start. He doesn’t fit that offense well at all. At least he now has a chance to possibly start somewhere else in a system that fits him 

Typically I would shake my head at the assumption this was because of the vaccine, but considering he was cut makes me lean towards the OP is correct. Could be things didn't go well if Mac was named starter, but we probably will not know if that happened. If it was vaccine related you best bet it will get plastered all over the place.

Cam was given a horrible position last season where it was going to be nearly impossible not to fail. He has clearly lost a step, coming in on the heels of the GOAT, crazy offseason, and playing with half a deck due to opt-outs. Don't be surprised if he winds up in Miami. They are a good team in need of steady QB play. I have a feeling they know Tua isn't the guy. Rumors are they are/were considering Watson. 

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

I personally think he doesn't want to be a back up. Just my opinion. He could easily be a back up. Again, it goes for risk versus reward. As a back up you have to maximize your opportunities. The only way you can call the shots if you aren't replaceable. 

He has no choice now. Glad I don't have to watch Pats games anymore at least.

Edited by WFE12

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I can't help but to feel sad how cam wasn't ever given a chance and of course you will get the guys out of the woodworks who will talk about cam can't throw that don't know a lick of football

Cam has spent his entire career with a team that refused to spend money on offensive linemen and a team that is in the midst of a rebuild.  At neither team did he have a top flight receiver corp.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

He has no choice now. Glad I don't have to watch Pats games anymore at least.

Right but the risk of not being available might make teams pass on him, because he is expendable now.

2 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

NFL talent makes coaching a whole lot easier.  It has a way of turning good coaches into great.

When a good coach can consistently take high school studs and develop them into NFL talent, they make their job easier.  It has a way of turning good coaches into elite coaches.  

3 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

Typically I would shake my head at the assumption this was because of the vaccine, but considering he was cut makes me lean towards the OP is correct. Could be things didn't go well if Mac was named starter, but we probably will not know if that happened. If it was vaccine related you best bet it will get plastered all over the place.

Cam was given a horrible position last season where it was going to be nearly impossible not to fail. He has clearly lost a step, coming in on the heels of the GOAT, crazy offseason, and playing with half a deck due to opt-outs. Don't be surprised if he winds up in Miami. They are a good team in need of steady QB play. I have a feeling they know Tua isn't the guy. Rumors are they are/were considering Watson. 

Was just going to mention this. I saw where Miami was on the radar to trade for Watson but with his situation no one knows if he will be in pin stripes any day now. I am sure Cam will get picked up by someone. Maybe Rivera at Washngton will snatch him up. I know they were really close at Carolina. I just never thought he was a good fit for the Patriots. Going from Brady, who to me is very straight arrow and to the point, to a biiiiig personality like Cam that is very happy go lucky is night and day. Not saying Cam can't dial in when needed but how he approaches the game is a lot different than Brady. If he does decide to hang up his cleats there is no shame in that at all. You can't deny his resume from every level of the game he has played. 

• Like 1

Looking at the NFL landscape right now in terms of starters, I only see three possibilities for him to land before the season starts:  Washington, Detroit and Houston.  And the latter two are dependent upon other things such as Goff being shaky with the Lions and Watson being traded from Houston.  Everyone else either has an established veteran starter or a recently drafted young guy they are still invested in.

Of course injuries can change the dynamic, but there aren't a lot of places right now that need Cam.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Cam has spent his entire career with a team that refused to spend money on offensive linemen and a team that is in the midst of a rebuild.  At neither team did he have a top flight receiver corp.  

I agree. He was on pace to having his BEST season before he got hurt for the Panthers. Throwing the ball extremely well. Got hurt. He comes to the pats following a legend, put the team on his back without offensive weapons and major guys on defense sitting out. Throws the ball EXTREMELY well.  Showed he's still plenty good. Got covid so still drug himself out there and won a few games they shouldn't have. Took all the criticism as if it was his fault the o sucked.

Off season guys come back, upgrade offense, and ✌🏿 to him. And even people on a Auburn fan board are quick to say he's finished or he can't throw.....it's built in people's head to say he can't throw. No matter what he does they were going to say that about him no matter what.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Damn, i hope someone else picks Cam up.  And it's not like it was hard to root against the Pats before, but I'll be rooting for failure. It's not personal with Mac, I just can't root for graduates of Satan University.

He's a shell of his former self.  He's just not a good NFL QB anymore.  I'm sure he'll get another spot somewhere, but more than likely his career is pretty much done.

I think he still has starter gas in the tank. Needs to be the right place, which is hard to find in today's NFL. 

Pittsburgh....you are on the clock. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He should've just sat out last year. I bet if he could qb the saints or somebody like that he'd be awesome

I don't think its about personality, etc. It is ultimately about who gives you the best chance to win. BB has taken several characters in the past including Randy Moss, Antonio Brown, Aqib Talib, Josh Gordon, Legarrette Blount.

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

He should've just sat out last year. I bet if he could qb the saints or somebody like that he'd be awesome

Totally agree. I don’t get this he isn’t good anymore stuff. By any good meaning he is expected to run through guys like in his younger guys I guess. New Orleans would be great. If he failed there then I would be willing to concede that he doesn’t have it. IMO he is still better than Winston

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Personally, I think he'd still be an upgrade over Jameis Winston down in NOLA.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

As a Saints fan I have my grocery bag at the ready now that Winston is the starter. I hope he has a better showing than he did at Tampa. Hopefully a couple years of maturity has helped him. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And things Payton would probably come up with......yeah I bet if he could go back and do it again he'd sit last season out. Hate to see the way he was used for a minimal amount of money last year...and throughout everything he's had the best attitude. 

And you still have people that say his personality wasn't ever going to fit with the pats. I'm convinced there was nothing he was going to be able to do to stop all the things people say about him now. His performance didn't matter.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Saints probably wouldn't have signed him with Jameis/Hill on the roster.  I think Jameis will be really good this year.