Pats cut Cam, name Mac Jones starter

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Saints probably wouldn't have signed him with Jameis/Hill on the roster.  I think Jameis will be really good this year.

That's hilarious

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Saints probably wouldn't have signed him with Jameis/Hill on the roster.  I think Jameis will be really good this year.

I think Jameis has played good recently. He earned that starter role and I am happy to see him get another chance. I think SP, learning from Brees and watching under the saints will do him wonders. Bruce Arians absolutely did not want him.

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

I'm convinced there was nothing he was going to be able to do to stop all the things people say about him now. His performance didn't matter.

People who know Cam like Cam. People who don't like Cam, don't know him. That's what I see. I think the dude is incredibly misunderstood, and unfairly judged. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I think he still has starter gas in the tank. Needs to be the right place, which is hard to find in today's NFL. 

Pittsburgh....you are on the clock. ;)

I could see that...

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think Jameis has played good recently. He earned that starter role and I am happy to see him get another chance. I think SP, learning from Brees and watching under the saints will do him wonders. Bruce Arians absolutely did not want him.

Yeah he ran into a bad situation.  Peyton will do a lot of good for him and sitting for a year and developing in their offense helped.  Hill is a joke, but they seemed pretty sure Jameis was going to be their QB.  I want him to succeed.

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree. He was on pace to having his BEST season before he got hurt for the Panthers. Throwing the ball extremely well. Got hurt. He comes to the pats following a legend, put the team on his back without offensive weapons and major guys on defense sitting out. Throws the ball EXTREMELY well.  Showed he's still plenty good. Got covid so still drug himself out there and won a few games they shouldn't have. Took all the criticism as if it was his fault the o sucked.

Off season guys come back, upgrade offense, and ✌🏿 to him. And even people on a Auburn fan board are quick to say he's finished or he can't throw.....it's built in people's head to say he can't throw. No matter what he does they were going to say that about him no matter what.

That's really stretching it to say he threw the ball extremely well.

Yes, he was strong again and could run the ball well when he had to, but his throwing was still inaccurate, and he still made poor mechanical throws at times. 

I watched his games last year, and yes he had a young and not great WRs, but he could not throw the deep ball accurately. 

He's a better QB when he has good TEs and RBs to throw to and a good slot WR.

TBH he was not a good fit in NE's offense with McDaniel. I do think he can still play well, but it has to be a certain offense.

I think the Texans with their problems with Watson would be a good chance for Cam to give it another shot...

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Call me Missouri on that.  

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

People who know Cam like Cam. People who don't like Cam, don't know him. That's what I see. I think the dude is incredibly misunderstood, and unfairly judged. 

Would you say he brings some of that on himself?  People only see what Cam wants them to see, he's a showman and a self proclaimed icon.  He created his image and for good or bad it leaves himself open to judgement. 

Can actually had a decent QB Completion percentage. The problem I saw was his deep ball and turnovers.

• Like 1

Perhaps both reasons are correct. Perhaps Jones was playing good enough to be named the starter and perhaps Cam told them he was not going to get vaccinated. Perhaps the Pats said we can’t take the risk of you being forced to sit out games because you won’t get vaccinated when we have a viable backup.

Look at Wentz…he’s having to sit out 2 weeks because of direct contact AND he’s not vaccinated.

So perhaps both sides had a mutual parting of ways and both agreed not to discuss the reasons behind it in order to avoid a media shat storm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That's really stretching it to say he threw the ball extremely well.

Yes, he was strong again and could run the ball well when he had to, but his throwing was still inaccurate, and he still made poor mechanical throws at times. 

I watched his games last year, and yes he had a young and not great WRs, but he could not throw the deep ball accurately. 

He's a better QB when he has good TEs and RBs to throw to and a good slot WR.

TBH he was not a good fit in NE's offense with McDaniel. I do think he can still play well, but it has to be a certain offense.

I think the Texans with their problems with Watson would be a good chance for Cam to give it another shot...

So I watched the games as well. His completion percentage was averaging 70% before covid but if you want to pretend that's inaccurate go ahead. But it's actually stretching it saying it's not accurate.

And yes any QB is better when he has options and good players to get the ball too. 

Tbh when he was healthy it's plain as day that the offense was a good fit. But like I said it's fixed in some brains to say he can't throw no matter what

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Would you say he brings some of that on himself?  People only see what Cam wants them to see, he's a showman and a self proclaimed icon.  He created his image and for good or bad it leaves himself open to judgement. 

I think Cam is just himself, and people unfairly extrapolate that he must be selfish, lazy, a poor teammate, etc. When you read what the vast majority of teammates and players say about him, nothing could be further from the truth. 

33 minutes ago, keesler said:

The only problem with this is it is inconsistent. Why is it okay for Person A to have bravado , but person B shouldn't be able to do such a thing. I remember when CN was dabbing, how upset it made people, yet I never heard anyone complain when Aaron Rodgers was doing the championship belt signature or when Clay Matthews did his release the beast stance in the middle of the fields, in front of opponents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think Cam is just himself, and people unfairly extrapolate that he must be selfish, lazy, a poor teammate, etc. When you read what the vast majority of teammates and players say about him, nothing could be further from the truth. 

Just about every negative trope that are issued to professional athletes cam has had it. 

I remember when he was in the draft it was said how his smile is fake. Hopefully that's something that will eventually change as well though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We hear very little about Jarrett Stidham.  Was he given an opportunity in training camp and pre-season?  
With Cam gone I don’t have to like the Patriots any more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, around4ever said:

We hear very little about Jarrett Stidham.  Was he given an opportunity in training camp and pre-season?  
With Cam gone I don’t have to like the Patriots any more. 

I believe Stidham is injured 

I think it comes down to trust with Bellichick - Cam's COVID caviler attitude was causing issues(this last one especially) in the trust department and BB did not want to go into the season where another small misstep from Cam would cause more problems than his value as a player. Mac Jones is also closer in style to the Brady offense that McDaniels runs - the Patriots do things the Patriot way and they like to plug people into the role and have them work that role. If you don't fit the role it's harder to make the team.

The Broncos really busted him up.

Just another lesson. Do what is best for you. Nobody loves you, nobody is going to sacrifice for you, nobody will care. People will come up with every reason not to celebrate you. So when it's time to talk contract or pick what school you will attend think what's good for you, and don't cut deals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DAG said:

The only problem with this is it is inconsistent. Why is it okay for Person A to have bravado , but person B shouldn't be able to do such a thing. I remember when CN was dabbing, how upset it made people, yet I never heard anyone complain when Aaron Rodgers was doing the championship belt signature or when Clay Matthews did his release the beast stance in the middle of the fields, in front of opponents. 

Yeah, inconsistent is the best descriptor.  It's applied to Cam in a more harsh manor and more exaggerated than anyone else.  I don't think he brings it on himself.

Oh and also. I think he's good but Mac has been mostly playing back ups, they are taking a big risk. Better pray it translates against the starters and superstars of the NFL

He can still play but he's going to have prove it, it seems. I didn't like the offense the Patriots were running with him.. they switched it up, I think he's better running a wide open offense. Someone has got to give him a 💉. 😉

• Haha 1