Covid....Australia riles...

SaturdayGT

It appears Australia is trying to recover from a self inflicted wound.  They seemed to have downplayed the importance of the vaccines.

Australia has been criticized for its slow vaccine rollout, with only 15.3% percent of its population fully vaccinated as of Aug. 1, according to Our World in Data. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/04/australia-trade-minister-on-vaccination-rates-and-travel-bubbles.html

and are being overly authoritarian about it.  I believe the Delta variant was a total surprise to them and their citizens are paying the price.

They have to do what is best for their current situation.  Australia and the U.S. are more alike in our education and world view than possibly any other 2 countries on the planet.  I trust that they will do what they feel is best for them.  They do need to get their vaccination numbers up or they will eventually see the number of deaths sky rocket.

Edited by AU9377

They've gone bat-guano crazy thinking that they can eradicate Covid...but, once a prison colony, and they've damn near come full circle. I guess they're convinced they can hide from it forever...dunno. Being locked down isn't living, it's just existing.

As long as that level of nuts stays there, cool.

• Like 1

Atlantic article on Australia

"Intrastate travel within Australia is also severely restricted. And the government of South Australia, one of the country's six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. "We don't tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes," Premier Steven Marshall explained. "I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app."

😮😞

4 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

"Intrastate travel within Australia is also severely restricted. And the government of South Australia, one of the country's six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. "We don't tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes," Premier Steven Marshall explained. "I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app."

😮😞

This is insane....scary as crap too...I got a bad hunch theres a big enough section of the population here in the US that views things in the same mindset as them....I hope im wrong and overthinking it all...

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 8/31/2021 at 10:24 PM, SaturdayGT said:

Whats everyone's views on Australia and their covid rules?

I think it's wonderful. We need a total lockdown as well with our military going around making sure everyone is following the rules. People need to get serious about the virus. Your personal freedoms can be exercised after we eradicate this disease.

Edited by woodford
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I think it's wonderful. We need a total lockdown as well with our military going around making sure everyone is following the rules. People need to get serious about the virus. Your personal freedoms can be exercised after we eradicate this disease.

And what about the dozen plus studies saying lockdowns don't work and may have actually made things worse? 

This statist idea that were going to save people by threatening to kill them if they don't comply is so interesting. 

But obviously individualism and the rights of man aren't important as long as we can justify it for the public good. Because that line of thinking has never been abused. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUGunsmith said:

And what about the dozen plus studies saying lockdowns don't work and may have actually made things worse? 

This statist idea that were going to save people by threatening to kill them if they don't comply is so interesting. 

But obviously individualism and the rights of man aren't important as long as we can justify it for the public good. Because that line of thinking has never been abused. 

I don't know this for 100%, but I *think* he was being sarcastic...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SLAG-91 said:

I don't know this for 100%, but I *think* he was being sarcastic...

Maybe. But the sad part is I have heard this from people not being sarcastic so it's hard to tell these days :(

1 hour ago, AUGunsmith said:

I was being sarcastic lol we’re on the same page my man 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Maybe. But the sad part is I have heard this from people not being sarcastic so it's hard to tell these days :(

True enough...hard to distinguish between the truth and a Babylon Bee article these days.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, SLAG-91 said:

True enough...hard to distinguish between the truth and a Babylon Bee article these days.

..Exactly!!... ..I would not be the least bit surprised if there are actual posters on this site who would friggin love it if the US followed Australia in this...

• Facepalm 1

23 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Its like continental wide Stanford experiment project...that is utterly insane.....cant believe a country like Australia is resorting to a Nazi Germany type regime...How did it regress?....we need to pay attention to this....

• Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Its like continental wide Stanford experiment project...that is utterly insane.....cant believe a country like Australia is resorting to a Nazi Germany type regime...How did it regress?....we need to pay attention to this....

The only saving grace is the youth in Australia is resisting the *Hitler youth* syndrome. If the youth knuckle under it will be the next step for Australia’s authoritarian regime.  Thank God for the U.S. Constitution.

On a separate note; during this college football weekend the youth around country started to fight back:

The Auburn students have a cameo in this video around the 12 second mark.  War Damn Eagle Auburn students, don’t let this lunatic run your lives.  What was the lyrics to that song?  “He can’t even run his own life, I’ll be damned if he’ll run mine”.  More appropriate now then it has ever been.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/4/2021 at 9:27 AM, AUGunsmith said:

The Aussies should be stacking bodies by now. Too bad they gave up their guns. 

Guns are effective against Covid?  :dunno:

Anti-vaxers maybe, but certainly not the virus. ;D

Edited by homersapien

On 9/2/2021 at 4:27 PM, SLAG-91 said:

😮😞

I posted that this would happen literally ~5-6 months ago - and here you are, seeing it playing out in real time in a Western, "Democratic", first-world nation:

The script has been painfully obvious since day one to anyone who understands that the government is not your friend. Just LOL at being stupid enough to think that voluntarily giving up your rights and freedoms would result in the overlords handing it back once the "crisis" is over (hint: the "crisis" will never end). Australia has literally morphed into an authoritarian Police State.

And for the millionth time, we once again witness another example that the difference between "conspiracy theory" and "the truth" is ~6 months, give or take.

"COVID leaking from the Wuhan lab is a conspiracy theory"

"Mandatory vaccination is a conspiracy theory"

"It's a conspiracy theory that those who are vaccinated can still spread COVID"

"Vaccine passports are a conspiracy theory"

On and on and on and on 🙃.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Guns are effective against Covid?  :dunno:

Anti-vaxers maybe, but certainly not the virus. ;D

Ill take my chances with covid over an oppressive state which claims a legal right to kill me for dissent. 

26 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Ill take my chances with covid over an oppressive state which claims a legal right to kill me for dissent. 

You do know that's not an either / or proposition don't you?  Regardless, your guns aren't going to protect you from either. They just make you feel protected.

(I trust you voted?)

• Like 1