Official Post Game Thread Akron

Zeek

Sorry if one's already made just saw a bunch of random topics.

WDE thoughts soon

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Zeek changed the title to Official Post Game Thread Akron

I'll start with the game day experience:

1. The intro videos did not click with me at all. Zero hype generated from them and even worse Lutzenkirchen's catch was not included for the first time and I wasn't pleased. 

2. Everything else was pretty similar to what we've seen before and was fine. Don't remember the players coming out with the flag in recent years but not sure.

3. The new lights are... interesting? They feel like we're still not sure on how we are going to use them. The potential is there for sure and I like it during down times. Band should add the lights into the show somehow.

4. A little disappointed it wasn't a sellout BUT was really REALLY proud of the student section. They wore white well and the white shakers look nice. They did a great job of staying late into the game. Thought for sure they would dip at halftime.

5. Weather was perfect this early in the year. So glad it was a night game.

6. Got concessions a lot faster than usual. Bathrooms moved well too. Overall good on that part and the move to digital tickers made lines much faster.

Now for the actual football side of things:

1. QB - Bo looked phenomenal compared to what we've seen previously. Even against an awful team his completion percentage was great. Checkdowns and having more options have been tremendous for him. He stayed in the pocket really well and made some good throws. His placement wasn't great at times and I think he's still adjusting to the reads.

TJ didn't look great to me but damn he's massive. He runs like there's cement in his shoes though and that limits him in some of the option offense.

2. RB - damn we're in good hands there. Tank looks a little faster. Shivers is being used effectively. Hunter is a damn stud. Sean Jackson is the best walk-on RB I've seen. Hunter had 110 yards!

3. OL - looked better than recent years. Left side of the line is definitely the strong side. Still need some more push there but it looked improved.

4. WR - for a group that caught a lot of flack from coaches they looked solid to me. Kobe Hudson is freakishly good at adjusting to passes his body control is great. Jackson not being used previously is infuriating. Capers and Canion with one catch each was frustrating but not the end of the world. Shenker is 5 catches away from having the most receptions by a TE in a season over the last 7 years. Thought this group did really well. Need a little better blocking on some outside rubs.

5. We need a better punter. Going to be blunt here. Haven't been great here in a minute. Akron's punter is welcome.

6. DL got way more pressure than we've seen recently. Took some time but I think we rotated well here and wore down their OL over time. Lee Hunter, Hall, Burks, and Wooden stood out to me.

7. LB - looked solid to me nothing stood out here negatively or positively. Thought Owen Pappoe looked good outside the tackles containing and tracking.

8. DBs - played soft coverage in the second half but looked mostly solid. Had two plays I think we should have had an INT but otherwise a good job. There did appear to be some confusion on what Akron was doing with sweeps and bunch sets.

9. Anders, can't miss XP if you want that trophy brother!

Play calling was fun. Couldn't predict what we would do next and love the aggression. Check downs and TEs are such huge additions to our team. Love short yardage seeing the Power-I with a fullback and everything on the goal line. Never felt like we got cute 

Loved the blood thirsty timeout before halftime and the 1 minute drill. Valuable experience there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

As It stands, I was 110 % wrong about Bo Nix, but not this coaching staff. Bobo did a great job setting up the team nicely and the defense played great. Let's take this momentum into next week. one week at a time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Seeing Bo move through a progression and hit a check down for eight yards was like having an out of body experience. Is this what a modern offense looks like?

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

As It stands, I was 110 % wrong about Bo Nix, but not this coaching staff. Bobo did a great job setting up the team nicely and the defense played great. Let's take this momentum into next week. one week at a time.

Man, I'm hopeful. Bo has looked good against patsies in the past, but this did look different. 

However it goes, it's great to know Bo has the coaching and tools he needs to be successful. Up to him now. So far, so good. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Man, I'm hopeful. Bo has looked good against patsies in the past, but this did look different. 

However it goes, it's great to know Bo has the coaching and tools he needs to be successful. Up to him now. So far, so good. 

Yep Penn State will be the litmus test.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep Penn State will be the litmus test.

No doubt. Some tough D's coming up soon. 

I don't even know if I can complain if he has trouble against UGA. That D looks salty as hell. 

1 minute ago, cbo said:

No doubt. Some tough D's coming up soon. 

I don't even know if I can complain if he has trouble against UGA. That D looks salty as hell. 

The trouble isn't the issue for me. It is the basic mental lapses. We will definitely meet adversity and how we respond will tell a lot.

• Like 1

I know it's Akron, but I loved how Bo played in control and within the system. Granted, he had a lot of time tonight, but he went through progressions. Great to see, hats off, and I hope it continues. I say that as someone who has been critical of him. Also, it was great to see Harsin coaching him up after a touchdown and Bo taking it well and not blowing up. Receivers were good. Kobe Hudson has a ton of potential. Biggest positive for me was Jarquez. One game but the hype was real. Just really impressive

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I'll start with the game day experience:

1. The intro videos did not click with me at all. Zero hype generated from them and even worse Lutzenkirchen's catch was not included for the first time and I wasn't pleased. 

2. Everything else was pretty similar to what we've seen before and was fine. Don't remember the players coming out with the flag in recent years but not sure.

3. The new lights are... interesting? They feel like we're still not sure on how we are going to use them. The potential is there for sure and I like it during down times. Band should add the lights into the show somehow.

4. A little disappointed it wasn't a sellout BUT was really REALLY proud of the student section. They wore white well and the white shakers look nice. They did a great job of staying late into the game. Thought for sure they would dip at halftime.

5. Weather was perfect this early in the year. So glad it was a night game.

6. Got concessions a lot faster than usual. Bathrooms moved well too. Overall good on that part and the move to digital tickers made lines much faster.

Now for the actual football side of things:

1. QB - Bo looked phenomenal compared to what we've seen previously. Even against an awful team his completion percentage was great. Checkdowns and having more options have been tremendous for him. He stayed in the pocket really well and made some good throws. His placement wasn't great at times and I think he's still adjusting to the reads.

TJ didn't look great to me but damn he's massive. He runs like there's cement in his shoes though and that limits him in some of the option offense.

2. RB - damn we're in good hands there. Tank looks a little faster. Shivers is being used effectively. Hunter is a damn stud. Sean Jackson is the best walk-on RB I've seen. Hunter had 110 yards!

3. OL - looked better than recent years. Left side of the line is definitely the strong side. Still need some more push there but it looked improved.

4. WR - for a group that caught a lot of flack from coaches they looked solid to me. Kobe Hudson is freakishly good at adjusting to passes his body control is great. Jackson not being used previously is infuriating. Capers and Canion with one catch each was frustrating but not the end of the world. Shenker is 5 catches away from having the most receptions by a TE in a season over the last 7 years. Thought this group did really well. Need a little better blocking on some outside rubs.

5. We need a better punter. Going to be blunt here. Haven't been great here in a minute. Akron's punter is welcome.

6. DL got way more pressure than we've seen recently. Took some time but I think we rotated well here and wore down their OL over time. Lee Hunter, Hall, Burks, and Wooden stood out to me.

7. LB - looked solid to me nothing stood out here negatively or positively. Thought Owen Pappoe looked good outside the tackles containing and tracking.

8. DBs - played soft coverage in the second half but looked mostly solid. Had two plays I think we should have had an INT but otherwise a good job. There did appear to be some confusion on what Akron was doing with sweeps and bunch sets.

9. Anders, can't miss XP if you want that trophy brother!

Play calling was fun. Couldn't predict what we would do next and love the aggression. Check downs and TEs are such huge additions to our team. Love short yardage seeing the Power-I with a fullback and everything on the goal line. Never felt like we got cute 

Loved the blood thirsty timeout before halftime and the 1 minute drill. Valuable experience there.

Great post, Zeek.

I have to call out Jet Johnson blocking on the first Worm TD. Great downfield blocking by Jet and JSS

• Like 1

Akron is a horrible team overall. They did have some decent receivers and both QB's were mobile. I loved that we shut the door early and were able to get some garbage time for backups. We looked like a damn football team for the first time in recent memory. I haven't felt this good about Auburn football since the early through late 80's. Hopefully it's real. Could not have asked for more in this game other than a shutout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Surprised you’re saying this after just the first game. I’m impressed by what I saw from him too but I need to see if this play follows him to penn state because then the o line will be tested. Will he fight that urge of the jitters or regress..hopefully the former. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We looked like an SEC team playing an overmatched opponent. That was never a guarantee in our recent history and that felt good.

Yes it felt so good to handle business like we should against a lesser team and not have one of those games like the one that shall not be named from a couple years ago

• Like 1

Got a little curious how a fan base like Akron reacts to loses like the one tonight…

http://zipsnation.org/forums/topic/40512-game-1-auburn/page/6/

Now I feel bad we beat them so bad. Lol

All I could imagine, reading that thread, was a bunch of Ned Flanders sitting around talking about their poor little football program with tons of pride. 

I’m rooting for Akron for the rest of the season. Those poor bas**rds deserve happiness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Extremely impressed with Moultry tonight. He played under control and made plays. More games like tonight and he will be playing on Sundays. 

Quality coaching and discipline can make a better player. Everyone knows Moultry already had the talent. Now it is being refined.

Why T.D. Moultry feels 'freed' in new Auburn defense

by Nathan King

32 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — T.D. Moultry knew Akron wouldn't see him as the primary threat along Auburn's defensive line. And he was perfectly fine with that. He would use it to his advantage.

The fifth-year senior had the best individual defensive showing for Auburn in its 60-10, season-opening win over Akron — and by all accounts, it was the best game of Moultry's career. He had three tackles for loss and a sack, plus he tied linebacker Zakoby McClain for the team's lead in total tackles with seven.

“Man, it was amazing because we all know he had it him, he just had to let it out," safety Smoke Monday said of Moultry. "For him to go out there and do it, it shows how strong and tough he is. The fight from being a backup all these couple years, getting injured and stuff like that. For him to continue to work and keep pushing yourself every single day to go out there and have a game like that is amazing.”

Moultry explained that Akron focused on edge rusher Derick Hall, who lines up across from Moultry in Auburn's default, starting defensive front, and defensive tackle Colby Wooden. Hall is Auburn's sack leader along the D-line, and Wooden led the team in tackles for loss last season. Their presences can't be ignored by an offensive line. Moultry knew that and started making Akron pay for it.

"(The defense) has freed me up a lot," Moultry said. "It's just playing ball. Really the most important thing is just doing my job. ... Guys like Derick Hall and Colby Wooden, they're our best defensive linemen right now. They're going to keep eyes on them. When they keep eyes on them, it's going to free me."

Moultry's impact was felt early. On Akron's second drive, he tracked Akron quarterback Kato Nelson scrambling out of the pocket and dragged him down for a loss. His sack came early in the third quarter — one of the final drives where new coordinator Derek Mason allowed his starting defense to remain on the field — as he cut inside and blew past Akron's right guard and ended up bringing down Nelson again.

"T.D. is my guy," Hall said. "He’s come along in a lot of different things. Just to see him be successful, I’m really happy for him. He’s a great guy and a great player. He’s definitely taken that next step to help push us in the right direction as a defense. I’m extremely excited and proud of him.”

When he arrived on campus as the third highest-rated recruit in Auburn's 2017 class — behind only five-stars Calvin Ashley and Jarrett Stidham — Moultry started off as a standard linebacker who could also creep down and get to the quarterback, but he was quickly moved to the buck position as a pure pass-rusher by then-defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.

Jeff Holland was Auburn's leader at buck linebacker in 2017, followed by Nick Coe and Big Kat Bryant in 2018. Moultry worked behind them respectably, with five tackles for loss, three sacks and one forced fumble through his first two seasons.

Moultry and Coe were expected to be a strong pass-rushing duo for the Tigers' front in 2019, but both took significant steps backwards. Coe went from having high-round NFL buzz to going undrafted. Moultry had one sack and no other TFLs, as Hall, a true freshman at the time, emerged as Auburn's best player at the position.

On Saturday, though, Moultry made good on the preseason hype he's been able to so consistently accumulate over the past couple years. As Hall said, if Moultry can give Auburn's defensive line another weapon, he could significantly help to elevate Mason's unit as a whole moving forward, seeing as the Tigers' pass rush is such a crucial facet of the team this season.

"He shows up every day," Bryan Harsin said of Moultry. "He's obviously talented, and I think his motor, his effort, is something that separates him and why he had the kind of game he did tonight."

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The trouble isn't the issue for me. It is the basic mental lapses. We will definitely meet adversity and how we respond will tell a lot. 

Hopefully, they will be developing the mindset of adapt, improvise and overcome

• Like 1

Few observations from what I saw. 

1. Bo Nix looked night/day better from the last 2 season. Stepped up in the pocket instead of bailing multiple times. Did NOT overthrow the deep ball by 10+ yards. Decision making was great. I know it was Akron, but there were very noticeable improvements in the little things from years past. 
2. OL seemed to be much improved in all facets. Again, I know it was Akron. Jackson sliding from LT to G was a wise move. Bo had plenty of time today. Will be interesting to see how it looks 2 weeks at PSU. 
3. a lot more blitzing from the LB spot. OP had several blitz calls where he blew up the plays. 
4. running backs & tight ends were involved in the passing game. Tank had a 20+ yard catch/run after Bo hit him on his 4th progression early in the game. Shivers had a receiving TD. Was a nice change. 
5. TD Moultry finally had a great game. Multiple TFL & was all over the field. Happy for him. 

Again, this was against one of the worse teams in college football, but there were noticeable improvements all over the field, specifically  the O. 

Edited by TAYLORKEETON
  • Like 1

Just got home from the game and looked into my game thread.  What was wrong with the Harsin daughters?  I saw some people weren’t happy with their appearance or something.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

The only negative from me about this game was that it is over and now a 11 am game against another completely over matched opponent is on the horizon. AT LEAST give us a night game when we play these paycheck games! lol

• Thanks 1