Jump to content
Null

My Top 5 Takeaways vs the Zippers


Recommended Posts





2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I haven't done this in at least 6 years me believe. I don't know if these are even allowed anymore, but I just wanted to commemorate the first game of a new era with a few thoughts. 

1. A new regime was the right decision - This isn't predicated on the win or the magnitude of the match-up, those are obviously inconsequential. But the atmosphere of that game? That's one of jubilee. This crowd was gonna be popping if we played a middle school team, but the payoff...the coaching staff clearly understood that they needed to impress even considering, and they styled. The new regime has clearly (in blatant and low-key ways) wanted to do everything to look better than the ex, and this game falls in line with that 

2. This is going to be an upper echelon receiving core - Idk about this month, this season, who knows right? But there's a clear marriage between talent and good GOOD scheming. I don't know the last time I've been comfortable with us throwing on 3rd down. Timing bunch routes, intermediate posts, zigs, just about everything honestly. A couple curls, not much in the way of crossers (at least not the main focus of some plays, as the deep ball was almost always there, right?), but really sound scheming from top to bottom. Not to make this about me, but I didn't feel particularly good and there were a TON of students around that exacerbated that, so my focus was kinda in and out. But so far I love Bobo's scheming

3. The OL is going to resemble 2019's IMO - Sans drastic run blocking improvement, I don't think this is going to be a top quarter of the SEC OL. They kept things clean in pass blocking though, and I feel comfortable with us throwing 20-25 times and not having like 2 sacks and 8 QB hurries or something insane. I can't pretend like I know blocking, but the bevy of "weird" delayed handoffs, involving literally every OLine "hole", the staff was at least willing to get funky to alleviate that issue

4. Derick Hall is good - Defensive line is the best they've been since 2019 easily. Akron's OL is butt, no ways around this. But edge rushing speed is something even I, a novice, could, identify...because there's been so little of it post Jeff Holland. There's edge rushing SPEED here man. They did unfortunately give up contain a few times, but I think the fellas we played tonight have better wheels than anyone we're playing this season sans like Max Johnson or maybe Haynes King. They didn't seem to employ a ton of QB spy in the first half when I was in attendance, but I think I feel comfortable with that being an option with the bevy of DB options they have 

There's probably a few more minute things that just got lost to time for me, but it was a great watch. Didn't mention the RBs or TEs, but you have to feel good about Bigs and the new guy (Hunter?), who seems to have some burst along with his bowling ball build. I think this is like the 2nd PAT Anders has missed in the last ~5 games, so that's a bit odd. Maybe something that will fix itself. All in all, based on this defensive speed (the interior could be better definitely) plus how the SEC has performed in week 1, I feel assured in a 8 win floor 

2019-level OL would be good enough. 2019's schedule was at least as tough as this year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

2019-level OL would be good enough. 2019's schedule was at least as tough as this year.

I personally believe that was a good enough OL honestly. Good enough to win the West. Bo did some running things to make the sack numbers look better than they should’ve, but he also had some passing lapses that didn’t take advantage of when they were good. 
 

We still have no idea what a pressured Bo looks like in this system, and that’s obv gonna involve the OL one way or the other, so I reserve judgement on predicting a worst case situation 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

UGA’s receivers look really meh for yet another season…I think we have a better front 7 than Clemson’s. Do what you will with that

Uh can you pump the brakes. We looked great but....it was Akron....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I haven't done this in at least 6 years me believe. I don't know if these are even allowed anymore, but I just wanted to commemorate the first game of a new era with a few thoughts. 

1. A new regime was the right decision - This isn't predicated on the win or the magnitude of the match-up, those are obviously inconsequential. But the atmosphere of that game? That's one of jubilee. This crowd was gonna be popping if we played a middle school team, but the payoff...the coaching staff clearly understood that they needed to impress even considering, and they styled. The new regime has clearly (in blatant and low-key ways) wanted to do everything to look better than the ex, and this game falls in line with that 

2. This is going to be an upper echelon receiving core - Idk about this month, this season, who knows right? But there's a clear marriage between talent and good GOOD scheming. I don't know the last time I've been comfortable with us throwing on 3rd down. Timing bunch routes, intermediate posts, zigs, just about everything honestly. A couple curls, not much in the way of crossers (at least not the main focus of some plays, as the deep ball was almost always there, right?), but really sound scheming from top to bottom. Not to make this about me, but I didn't feel particularly good and there were a TON of students around that exacerbated that, so my focus was kinda in and out. But so far I love Bobo's scheming

3. The OL is going to resemble 2019's IMO - Sans drastic run blocking improvement, I don't think this is going to be a top quarter of the SEC OL. They kept things clean in pass blocking though, and I feel comfortable with us throwing 20-25 times and not having like 2 sacks and 8 QB hurries or something insane. I can't pretend like I know blocking, but the bevy of "weird" delayed handoffs, involving literally every OLine "hole", the staff was at least willing to get funky to alleviate that issue

4. Derick Hall is good - Defensive line is the best they've been since 2019 easily. Akron's OL is butt, no ways around this. But edge rushing speed is something even I, a novice, could, identify...because there's been so little of it post Jeff Holland. There's edge rushing SPEED here man. They did unfortunately give up contain a few times, but I think the fellas we played tonight have better wheels than anyone we're playing this season sans like Max Johnson or maybe Haynes King. They didn't seem to employ a ton of QB spy in the first half when I was in attendance, but I think I feel comfortable with that being an option with the bevy of DB options they have 

There's probably a few more minute things that just got lost to time for me, but it was a great watch. Didn't mention the RBs or TEs, but you have to feel good about Bigs and the new guy (Hunter?), who seems to have some burst along with his bowling ball build. I think this is like the 2nd PAT Anders has missed in the last ~5 games, so that's a bit odd. Maybe something that will fix itself. All in all, based on this defensive speed (the interior could be better definitely) plus how the SEC has performed in week 1, I feel assured in a 8 win floor 

Good stuff. I vote you keep doing this all year, if the spirit moves.

The competition was weak and I've had a couple Cokes, but I can't help but get excited. Could be a surprisingly good year. Experience is there and that tends to pay off. There is sufficient talent and the home schedule lines up. D should be nasty. If Bo and the OL keep playing close to this, look out. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cbo said:

Good stuff. I vote you keep doing this all year, if the spirit moves.

The competition was weak and I've had a couple Cokes, but I can't help but get excited. Could be a surprisingly good year. Experience is there and that tends to pay off. There is sufficient talent and the home schedule lines up. D should be nasty. If Bo and the OL keep playing close to this, look out. 

Bo is having fun. ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Favorite part of my night: Long drive for a field goal right before the half. It was obvious our coaches and players had a plan for this situation and subsequently executed it without panic or chaos. They were prepared for it as opposed to creating it on the fly like we’ve done in the recent past. Refreshing. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Uh can you pump the brakes. We looked great but....it was Akron....

Obviously I’m not saying that based purely or even mainly on Akron. If you watched that game, it was one of the squishier Clemson fronts in YEARS. This Auburn front is the fastest we’ve had in years. The line backer play is automatically better than last season. Speed is speed

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, cbo said:

Good stuff. I vote you keep doing this all year, if the spirit moves.

The competition was weak and I've had a couple Cokes, but I can't help but get excited. Could be a surprisingly good year. Experience is there and that tends to pay off. There is sufficient talent and the home schedule lines up. D should be nasty. If Bo and the OL keep playing close to this, look out. 

There’s some really poor front 7 play in our division. Hall, Pappoe, Wooten, they should have a very very fun time accruing pressures. 
 

That Penn St front 7 didn’t have a great time earlier today but they did enough. Really athletic LB core it felt like, but we’ll see! I like our chance if the run blocking holds up and Tank gets going early 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Favorite part of my night: Long drive for a field goal right before the half. It was obvious our coaches and players had a plan for this situation and subsequently executed it without panic or chaos. They were prepared for it as opposed to creating it on the fly like we’ve done in the recent past. Refreshing. 

No resting of laurels either. This game was honestly fantastic in terms of feel for pacing. Now…easier to be like that when you’re at home against a hapless foe. But there’s been a burner games where I honestly wondered if we wanted to practice situational drives, burn clock out or was just struggling out there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember the last time our oline looked this good. i get it. it was Akron. but we've played many cupcakes and our line looked like trash. there was something different tonight that gives me hope

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1. I love how our guys have taken on the personality of HC BH. He's all business and the team reflected that today. Not a ton of silly penalties. Got the job done and got to rest our main guys. It is Akron but in the past we've been know to either play down to the competition or just go through the motions. BH doesn't tolerate that no matter who we're playing; and that's a great feeling as a fan.

2. I loved the variations of the offense. There's nothing like live game reps and we got a chance to execute a nice gameplan on offense. I just want our guys to improve each week and play discipline football

3. Again, I'm not getting too excited because our issue has been on the road with this offense. Penn State is going to be a good barometer for us. Not impressed with Penn State's offense but that defense is a beast. But how we handle adversity in hostile environments. If we can do well with that this season....i think this team can make some noise. I watched games all day today...down to the last one in Pac 12. It was shaky for several teams considered contenders on offense. It may shake out to be the same teams contending for the playoffs but there seems to be a chance for a couple sleepers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

We don’t have the talent right now (sans Tank and the front 7 on D) to make a run, IM0

 

 

I disagree with this. Our LBs and CBS are as talented as anyone. RBs are also very good. And the WRs surprisingly looked very sharp. Agree with everything else you said though! 

Edited by AuburnTiger4Life
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Uh can you pump the brakes. We looked great but....it was Akron....

This. I enjoyed the game and it was fun, but that was a team that could not have a single player on our squad even as a walk on. Does anyone remember our 2 preseason scrimmages and how pedestrian our offense looked. I don’t know how good or bad this team is but that is the problem with these first two games of the season. Outside of getting timing and execution down (which is important) I am not sure you really improve and certainly gives fans and possibly players a false sense of how good you are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

This. I enjoyed the game and it was fun, but that was a team that could not have a single player on our squad even as a walk on. Does anyone remember our 2 preseason scrimmages and how pedestrian our offense looked. I don’t know how good or bad this team is but that is the problem with these first two games of the season. Outside of getting timing and execution down (which is important) I am not sure you really improve and certainly gives fans and possibly players a false sense of how good you are. 

I think how you look against these teams matters. We’ve beaten teams like Akron under Gus by close to the same score. But for me the difference is HOW we won. We came out focused, with a plan, and executed it in all phases. In past years we’ve not had that and have mainly relied on talent alone to carry us through. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

1. I love how our guys have taken on the personality of HC BH. He's all business and the team reflected that today. Not a ton of silly penalties. Got the job done and got to rest our main guys. It is Akron but in the past we've been know to either play down to the competition or just go through the motions. BH doesn't tolerate that no matter who we're playing; and that's a great feeling as a fan.

2. I loved the variations of the offense. There's nothing like live game reps and we got a chance to execute a nice gameplan on offense. I just want our guys to improve each week and play discipline football

 

I wish the cameras had shown Harsin after we missed that PAT. 

Auburn did look 'all business' and we did not see silly penalties - big big improvements that will manifest into other parts of the game.  (I had to go back and look:  Auburn had 3, UCF had 7 flags) 

Harsin absolutely opened the playbook to make PSU work to prepare.   Gus would not have done anything like that and the starters still wouldn't know what they can do vs a varsity squad of first teamers.  

 

It's a new era for Auburn football and it's obvious  Harsin is our next 'P Dye' type of coach.  If we can keep the players focused for 4 months, we could do some damage this year.   I was impressed.  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Akron isn’t the worst team, but if the worst team quits, they are in trouble. 
 

That said (written), we looked polished and coordinated. We are coming off of seasons where we take Jax State to OT or piddle with Mercer. So, I’m cautiously optimistic that we can at least hold our own with the big dogs. We don’t have the talent right now (sans Tank and the front 7 on D) to make a run, IM0, but still, so nice to see route trees, check downs, red zone schemes and solid tackling. 
 

 

I don't think the DBs had the best day ever, but I feel like they have the talent level to be a top 3 DB room in the conference. Yesterday didn't help them, but it wasn't too much of a knock. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It was shaky for several teams considered contenders on offense.

This is really what has me optimistic more than anything. This looks like yet another year where the scragglers are closer to the much chosen. Most of the top 15 didn't look great to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

UGA’s receivers look really meh for yet another season…I think we have a better front 7 than Clemson’s. Do what you will with that

UGA's top 4 receivers were all out last night. They expect 3 of the 4 to return before the end of August.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

UGA's top 4 receivers were all out last night. They expect 3 of the 4 to return before the end of August.

Ain't gonna happen. August ended 5 days ago.:poke:

  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, doug3020 said:

UGA's top 4 receivers were all out last night. They expect 3 of the 4 to return before the end of August.

I didn't know how severe the injuries were past Pickens and Blaylock, but they're gonna have to get those guys immersed gradually it seems like. Like they're not all coming back at once. I doubt we get their best shot by this time in 4 weeks (hopefully not anyway) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...