Interesting Transfer in to the Bammer Softball Program

I was watching a clip of Cole Cubelic trying to get a glove on a Montana Fouts rise ball that was broadcast during the football game and it was a hoot.  She finally threw him something straight so he could catch it.  The catcher that had warmed her up really surprised me.  It was Ally Shipman, a Tennessee legacy, whose older sister Madison was an All-American and now an analyst on ESPN.  Checked the Bammer softball website and she did indeed transfer in with 2 years of eligibility.  At least Hemphill is gone.

Yes, Shipman transferred to Alabama over the summer. I don’t know the reason she decided to leave Tennessee, but I imagine Alabama recruited her very hard once in the portal. Their backup catcher hasn’t shown much production at the plate so far in her career, and I doubt Murphy wants to bet on an incoming freshman when you have arguably the best pitcher and pitching staff in the country coming back. 

The loss of Hemphill will be huge from an offensive, defensive, and leadership standpoint, but they also lose their starting 3rd baseman, shortstop, and entire outfield. Tow, Dowling, Shipman, Johnson, and Woodard are all good players, but they will need other players to step up. They brought in a great recruiting class so a lot of their success will center around how quickly they adapt to the college game and their pitching dominance. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Thanks 1