Think of the Children: Recall Gavin Newsom!

DKW 86

Think of the Children: Recall Gavin Newsom!

https://www.newsmax.com/murdock/gavin-newsom-california-recall-children/2021/09/10/id/1035871/

By Friday, 10 September 2021 12:09 PMCurrent | Bio | Archive

NOTE: While i do not in any way think Elder will be a good governor, I do think Newsom has outlived his career. The middle class in CA are hurting. They need real reform and GN is set to deliver just more fail Read the Statistics on CA's Education System. It is literally as bad as our own in outcomes, and the worst nationally in safety. Oust Newsom, but God help them in CA. The State is run by Elites that refuse to even consider that there is another way. Trash, homelessness, etc, CA is no longer the CA Dream some of us remember. BTW, I used the article only after checking with the stats. There is a little variance, but not much across multiple articles.

There are 6,163,001 reasons for California voters to recall Gavin Newsom on Tuesday. That’s the number of K-12 students who largely are ill-served by the Golden State’s Democrat governor.

California once boasted America’s finest government classrooms. I was highly fortunate to attend such schools in Los Angeles, from kindergarten in 1969 until high-school graduation in 1982. Back then, kids actually learned something from mainly talented teachers. My, how far that system has fallen.

California’s schools are ranked No. 41 overall in America, according to a WalletHub study last month. While California was a dismal 36th in quality (behind No. 34, Washington, D.C.), it ranked 51st in safety.

That’s right: California’s schools are more dangerous than those in every other state and D.C., which was a mere 47th in safety. California’s pupil-teacher ratio was ranked No. 50. Only Arizona’s classrooms are more packed.

The latest National Assessment of Educational Progress found in 2019 that only 32 percent of California’s fourth graders were proficient in reading, versus 34 percent nationwide. Just 30 percent of eighth graders read at grade level, compared to the 32 percent national average.

The same NAEP data show that only 34 percent of California’s fourth graders were proficient in math, versus 40 percent across America. Just 29 percent of eighth graders could compute at grade level, compared to the 33 percent national average.

To be charitable, California’s schools are reliably below average.

How bad does it get?

Ask Larry Elder, the veteran conservative radio host who leads the Republican contenders who hope to unseat and replace Newsom.

“I went to Crenshaw High School,” Elder said in a new campaign ad.

“If you saw the movie Boyz N the Hood, that’s my high school. Right now, only 2 percent of kids at Crenshaw High School are math proficient. Now, who sends their kid to a school where only 2 percent of the kids are math proficient, if they have an out? We’re spending almost $15,000 per student per year in California, and yet our scores are near the bottom of all 50 states. This is ridiculous.”

For Elder, this issue is not just academic.

“Recalling Gavin Newsom is personal to me,” he observed in another spot.

“I benefited from schools, the quality of which allowed me to go from South Central to the Ivy League. That route is now foreclosed because the quality of the schools has declined. I favor school choice. He doesn’t. I favor giving parents an option out. He doesn’t.”

Elder recalled that Newsom’s children enjoyed in-class education even as their father padlocked government campuses and sentenced millions of students to Zoom school.

“There’s absolutely no reason why children without the wealth of the Newsom family should not have the same academic opportunities,” Elder tells me.

The Pacific Research Institute’s Lance Izumi considers Newsom a sworn enemy of school choice.

“Under a 2019 law signed by Governor Newsom, local school boards can deny a charter petition if it finds that the proposed charter ‘is demonstrably unlikely to serve the interests of the entire community,’ which is a carte-blanche reason to deny any charter petition,” Izumi wrote early this year. “In other words, the future of charter schools in California looks very rocky at best.”

Indeed, on this vital matter, the Center for Education Reform’s Parent Power! Index gives California a big, fat F. Beyond embattled charter schools, CER declared: “There are no choice programs in this state.”

Classroom-excellence advocates, including Elder, are promoting the Educational Freedom Act. This referendum would make Sacramento deposit $14,000 in every student’s personal account.

This sum — adjusted to match average, annual, per-pupil outlays — could help finance tuition, books, and supplies at any eligible school that parents and students select.

Given the leash that the teachers unions have around Newsom’s neck, he will battle this measure like a Rottweiler — unless voters neuter him on Tuesday.

Think of the children. Recall Gavin Newsom.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Silly article. There is only about a year till the next California governor election anyway, so it makes no sense to support ousting Newsom in a recall and slot in Elder, who is a woman abuser and wacko. 

If Newsome has done so bad then just oust him in the next election which would be a far more democratic election than California's crazy recall system, which could lead to a replacement Governor that a very, very, small minority of citizens would support. 

The logic given in this article is a fallacy also. Look at the data given and you'll see 2 things: 

1) California is slightly below average in many academic categories. 

2) California still performs better than Texas and many Republican dominated areas in the United States. 

If Charter schools and parent freedom to choose was the magic pill for education that Republicans all think it is then the bottom of most education rankings wouldn't be dominated by Republican controlled states who support all those policies. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paraphrase: “Yea Failure!”

Those figures are national disgraces. CA is no longer much if at all above MS, AL, AR, etc Elder will not fix it, but if yoh have been reading about Newsom, the last thing he is going to do is fix it. I doubt anyone in CAs elites even think it is a problem. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Paraphrase: “Yea Failure!”

Those figures are national disgraces. CA is no longer much if at all above MS, AL, AR, etc Elder will not fix it, but if yoh have been reading about Newsom, the last thing he is going to do is fix it. I doubt anyone in CAs elites even think it is a problem. 

No, I'm not celebrating failure, I'm saying that the next general election is 2022 and If the people of California want a new governor then that's the time to do it.  Hopefully both them and Republicans will have more qualified and viable alternatives than just...Larry Elder. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

No, I'm not celebrating failure, I'm saying that the next general election is 2022 and If the people of California want a new governor then that's the time to do it.  Hopefully both them and Republicans will have more qualified and viable alternatives than just...Larry Elder. 

Well then we arent in disagreement then. LE is a basket case for a Governor. But even basket cases deserve to not be assaulted.

Newsom, is probably gonna win the Recall by a sliver and then hopefully lose in the primaries, but I dont give that much of a chance. I just cant see anyone in the CDP really running an all out campaign to unseat him. That makes Recalling him a viable option if you understand that LE wont get anything done for the several months he would be in office.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Make no mistake, I did not want Elder to win. He would have been a disaster.

Newsom won, but there are still Voters, Black, White Latino that are mad as hell at how he handled the pandemic, kept schools closed, etc. all while his kids went to class at a posh private school. He has damaged his credibility with a lot of CA, but he will be re-elected now. the CDP will not have any serious candidates primarying him. He will of course beat the Republican. What is it like to have elitist prigs dictate how you and your family live? which businesses get to continue on? Which families flourish and which ones crash and burn? All for the sake of politics.

Edited by DKW 86

DKW just cannot stand the fact that his favorite whipping boy -the DNC - executed a brilliant strategy for this recall election: 

Discourage Democratic challengers which would have split Newsome's vote and make the entire election about Republicans vs. Democrats. 

Even Newsome is better than a Republican, especially a Trump Republican, which most of them are.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, CoffeeTiger said:

Silly article. There is only about a year till the next California governor election anyway, so it makes no sense to support ousting Newsom in a recall and slot in Elder, who is a woman abuser and wacko. 

If Newsome has done so bad then just oust him in the next election which would be a far more democratic election than California's crazy recall system, which could lead to a replacement Governor that a very, very, small minority of citizens would support. 

The logic given in this article is a fallacy also. Look at the data given and you'll see 2 things: 

1) California is slightly below average in many academic categories. 

2) California still performs better than Texas and many Republican dominated areas in the United States. 

If Charter schools and parent freedom to choose was the magic pill for education that Republicans all think it is then the bottom of most education rankings wouldn't be dominated by Republican controlled states who support all those policies. 

They ranked 13 states lower than Texas according to the list. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

They ranked 13 states lower than Texas according to the list. 

Dont even try. Blue MAGA out in force. CA is  an educational nightmare, but at least its a Democrat nightmare. Screw those middle class kids!

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

On 9/15/2021 at 3:57 PM, homersapien said:

DKW just cannot stand the fact that his favorite whipping boy -the DNC - executed a brilliant strategy for this recall election: 

Discourage Democratic challengers which would have split Newsome's vote and make the entire election about Republicans vs. Democrats. 

Even Newsome is better than a Republican, especially a Trump Republican, which most of them are.

and yet California is still a dumpster fire. Nice win

• Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Dont even try. Blue MAGA out in force. CA is  an educational nightmare, but at least its a Democrat nightmare. Screw those middle class kids!

Yeah, Blue MAGA is right. They too live in an alternate reality where facts don't matter. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1