Why Auburn beats PSU

bigbird

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Harsin is actually a good coach (I think) and Franklin is not

That's my reason

Ehhhh… having been around Vandy for a few years, I can tell you that he’s definitely talented. 
I certainly hope Harsin is better, but Franklin is no goon. He’s pretty smart and has found success in more than one difficult situation. He may not be on the truly elite level in CFB, but he’s not Coach O.

• Like 1

While their IOL may be weak like some of y'all are saying, our whole line is pretty weak, so I wouldn't say we're at an advantage in the trenches. A couple more things I want to see:

1. Pre-snap communication and efficiency- Going to be very loud (Swamp 2019). Bo had major trouble pre-snap that game. Want to see Bobo get the plays in quickly and us get lined up with adequate time on the play clock. Do not want to see Bo going up to the line to make adjustments with 8 or less seconds on the play clock. Ideally, we are snapping the ball with 5 or more on the play clock. Brahms will have to prove his worth by properly communicating and getting the OL on the same page in a difficult environment

2. Strike first and no major offensive drought- Major issue under Gus in these big road games. We either wouldn't strike early, or if we did, we'd go through a huge drought such as not scoring or even moving the chains in the second and third quarter. Good news for Harsin is that the bar cannot get lower in these games based off how we did under Gus. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

While their IOL may be weak like some of y'all are saying, our whole line is pretty weak, so I wouldn't say we're at an advantage in the trenches.

I think the contention is- and I would agree- that our DL is better able to exploit that weakness. Bird's right not to let this be a "they're big slow midwesterners dur hur" thread but if anything legitimately does set the SEC (and Clemson) apart from the rest of the country, it is the athleticism on the DL. And that's not some south shall rise again homerism nonsense. NFL drafts going back at least 15 years make it very clear. And while we don't have a Derrick Brown or Nick Fairley on the interior (that we know of), we do have that kind of athleticism on the edges.

2. Strike first and no major offensive drought- Major issue under Gus in these big road games. We either wouldn't strike early, or if we did, we'd go through a huge drought such as not scoring or even moving the chains in the second and third quarter. Good news for Harsin is that the bar cannot get lower in these games based off how we did under Gus. 

Great point. I think we can safely say that Harsin coaches to win whereas Gus coached not to lose. May or may not win the game Saturday but it's a plus over previous big time OoC games. 

• Like 2

Auburn has 2 options at RB for the first time since Kerryon and Bubba which is big.  If Tank is struggling then Hunter has more than proven capable.

Safeties and DBs have to keep the WRs in front of them.  Penn State likes to air it out and Auburn needs to prevent that.

Bo Nix needs to make a statement.  Thankfully I don't think Harsin will put it all on Bo's shoulders the way Gus did in these road games.

Young Wrs need to stay composed and make catches Saturday.  Auburn can not have the drops it had last weekend.

From what I've heard the past couple days Auburn may have been showing a lot of different things the past two games to keep the PSU coaches guessing.  I bet there will be some things Auburn does in this game that we haven't seen all season.  

Not to put too much emphasis on this game but a "solid" win could propel Auburn to a top 10 ranking ahead of the UGA game.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I wasn't aware that their IOL is weak so that's very encouraging. Especially since defense travels and is still likely the strength of our team. I love how versatile our defense can be and I love that CDM will be making the adjustments. Agreed, could be a big game for the Mondays and Pappoes. Looks like their QB pretty much a pocket guy? 477 yds passing to 71 rushing. Let's ring up a few sacks and maybe shake that ball loose.

Also, I know we have to score points, but if our defense can keep them under wraps then that takes some of the wind out of the crowd. 

Our RB rotation should be an advantage. We're still going to be punching them with fresh, powerful, talented legs in the 4th quarter. Maybe they can say the same but I doubt they've got a combo like Tank and Hunter (and hopefully Worm). 

Still not sure about special teams overall but Carlson is a plus for us. Every kick could matter in a game like this.

Demetris Robertson looks like that dude. Could be a major coming out party for him. 

#bandname

• Love 2
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think we can safely say that Harsin coaches to win whereas Gus coached not to lose.

You beat me to it. This will be the biggest factor IMO, because Harsin won't turtle shell at any point in the game.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

#bandname

Flock of Seagulls meets Smiths meets No Doubt. Surprising mix of neutral colored sweaters and neon-tinted babydoll backpacks at the shows. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Let's try and keep the reasonings more X's and O's rather than "SEC < Big" type of takes.

IMO, One of the things that leans in our favor is the fact that their IOL is weak and just not very good. Our DL and blitz packages should create a lot of opportunities. I think we create enough pressure up front to control the game.

@bigbird You mention their IOL and one of the key factors in the game has to do with them. That will be, what is the PSU IOL going to do with our NT Fair ? Well, they will have to double team him which is going to open up opportunities for the other DLs and the LBs. Fair is a beast on film, strong as an ox and gets tremendous push. Very few OL can block him 1 on 1 and that is going to be one of the keys to the game imo. 

• Like 2

Because we have Tank and Jarquez. Wisconsin ran the ball fairly well on PSU until they abandoned it. I know our o line isn’t on the same level as Wisky, but I believe we can scheme around that. I don’t think Bo will have to be a superhero like people think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you will see a different look Auburn team.  WE have been running the offense mostly off of the zone read for the first two games but we will go to Harsins offense at Boise for this game.  The PSU coaches had better review a wealth of Boise State film instead of film from the first two games.  I also I expect Harsin to take pressure of the OL by running cross blocking schemes which should confuse their DLs as well.  Get our backs outside the tackle by running screen passes.  Negate pass rush by getting the ball out of Bo's hands quickly and running draw plays.  

CDM will try to confuse their QB will presnap motion and changing coverages and by running different stunts to confuse their blocking assignments.

• Like 5

I choose to believe that we will have plays ready in the event that the OL can’t allow Bo a great deal of time. Again, I am choosing to believe that this is the case. RB routes, utilizing TE (which we have already seen). Nothing made me angrier at Gus than, in the games in which our O line was clearly being abused, we would still have those long, drawn out, slow-to-develop passing Routes. Infuriating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

To win, we need:

*A fast start. I’m still haunted by the first play vs UF in the swamp a couple of years ago. Just don’t do that. Start with positive plays. 
     *Create at least 2 turnovers. Nothing dampens crowd noise and confidence like turnovers.                                                
    *At least one big play from special teams: a great return, block a kick, make a pressure field goal.
    *2 or more sacks

AU 27-17 WDE 🦅 

I really hope PSU gets the ball first.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mamaroneck727 said:

I hope we pull it out...(that's what she said)

This line indicates you’re fully qualified to post here 😂 Seriously, welcome to the board. It should be a great ballgame. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I kind of do, but I wouldn’t mind taking the opening kickoff to the house either. 😅

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I kind of do, but I wouldn’t mind taking the opening kickoff to the house either. 😅

Best case scenario is we get the ball first and notch an 8-minute scoring drive running primarily between the tackles...

...buuuuuut our defense might give us a more likely chance of winning the first possession and somewhat noise cancelling all that snow in the stands. 

• Like 3

I think our OL is somewhere between bad to avg in run blocking, but we appear to have a bevy of means to get running plays off tackle and outside. I don't think they have a counter punch to make the running game work. Clifford also isn't particularly athletic 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Obviously.

But considering the environment  - and our relative strengths and weaknesses - I'll go conservative and first hope to win a 50/50 coin toss.

I wouldn't mind returning there punt a TD though.;)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think our OL is somewhere between bad to avg in run blocking, but we appear to have a bevy of means to get running plays off tackle and outside. I don't think they have a counter punch to make the running game work. Clifford also isn't particularly athletic 

My hope - if not expectation - is that Harsin is a MUCH better schemer for that OL than the last guy.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, homersapien said:

My hope - if not expectation - is that Harsin is a MUCH better schemer for that OL than the last guy.

Low hurdle to jump to surpass the last guy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Who knows! We will see 

I think they did some good things to adjust in the second half of last game, but many of things revolved around being faster and bigger than the defense in front of them. We will see very very soon though

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1