Why Auburn beats PSU

bigbird

The PSU vs Wisconsin game was the classic example of one team losing the game more than the other team winning the game.    Wisconsin self destructed within the 5 yard line first and goal twice.    Wisconsin does not have any speed at the safety position and was burned several times.    
I think playing at home and having a challenging away game already will be the difference.    I think both teams are similar in talent and the difference will be that PSU has already faced a worthy opponent and found a way to win.  

12 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Wisconsin lost the PSU game because of the 3 turnovers.  I really thought they looked like the stronger team they just kept shooting themselves in the foot.  Saturday will probably be determined the same way.  I look for a close defensive game with the team that hangs onto the ball best winning it.  

Wisconsin definitely outplayed PSU and controlled the game. Zero turnovers and it's a blowout 

• Like 1

Here's a stat for your Wednesday:

On Tank Bigsby's 24 rushes he's gained 241 yards with 159 coming after contact. Conversely on his 17 carries, Jarquez Hunter has gained 183 of his 257 yards before contact.

ETA - There's only been 3 negative rushes by Auburn's top 5 tailbacks (2 for Tank, 1 for Shivers).

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Doubt it 

It's difficult when everyone thinks their view point is the correct and only objective one

• Haha 1

X Factor no one has talked about yet.

Harsin throws a trick play at a critical time and it goes for 6.  Changes then of the game.

Harsin has seemed to love these plays. Hopefully they are better timed/designed than under Gus. Does he break one out this weekend???

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's difficult when everyone thinks their view point is the correct and only objective one

I don't know about you, but I'm certified bonafide.

5n2njd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think we'll see 3-5 catches by RBs and one of those is going to be an explosive play, if not touchdown. 

I’d like to see Shivers in the passing game. I think he could find a niche in the NFL as a guy who can do that. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think we'll see 3-5 catches by RBs and one of those is going to be an explosive play, if not touchdown. 

Absolutely. We need to at least threaten them with flares and RB screens. Might catch them in a bad call or take advantage of that aggressiveness.

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Here's a stat for your Wednesday:

On Tank Bigsby's 24 rushes he's gained 241 yards with 159 coming after contact. Conversely on his 17 carries, Jarquez Hunter has gained 183 of his 257 yards before contact.

ETA - There's only been 3 negative rushes by Auburn's top 5 tailbacks (2 for Tank, 1 for Shivers).

This seems down-hillish to me. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’d like to see Shivers in the passing game. I think he could find a niche in the NFL as a guy who can do that. 

Is he playing?

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Doesn't seem to be looking promising.

Do we know if it's a COVID protocol thing?

PSU - Weak IOL
PSU - Slow OTs against speed
PSU - Clifford throws off that back foot A LOT
PSU - DL apparently allows good running lanes

Just now, AUinfusion said:

I really hate that. I would live to see Shiver's speed versus PSU's front seven.

If there's an Auburn player whose career has frustrated me as much as Worm's, then I can't think of his name right now. 

• Like 1

fun read from a psu perspective, looking forward to a great game. a few things on the lions:

there's plenty of athleticism. the blue chip ratio is higher than it's ever been in happy valley. auburn isn't walking into this with a speed or athlete advantage.

penn state has struggled in the recent past against running qbs; bodes well for nix except this defense looks better at assignments than ever and faster than ever.

as stated, the interior OL is the weak spot, but since the LG was swapped out after wisconsin, play has improved significantly.

penn state's offense has been hit and miss out of the gate, but not surprising with a new OC (3rd in 3 years) game 3 seems to be when they start to click.

re the white out. i've been to playoff games in the 4 major sports and a decent handful of college football games. the one whiteout i attended in 2016 was unlike any of them. absolutely nuts from a steady volume perspective. being used to loud crowds like the swamp will help, but osu and michigan are used to it too, and they still have plenty of false starts and delay of games. it won't determine the game, but it's not a non-factor.

clifford has a history of inaccuracy. he's done much better at not turning the ball over, but he's not pin point by any stretch. he is a better runner than a lot of folks realize, runs a 4.5, and while not shifty, does ok in the open field. they've def held him back from running so far this year, probably bc there isn't much depth behind him.

someone wanted to return a kickoff for a td.. good luck. pretty much all stout does is boot them out of the endzone. kinda boring.

can't wait for saturday!

ps, as a bsu fan, i think yall got a good one in harsin. pretty much expecting penn state to get burnt on at least one trick play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

PSU - Weak IOL
PSU - Slow OTs against speed
PSU - Clifford throws off that back foot A LOT
PSU - DL apparently allows good running lanes

Weak IOL - I dunno if weak.  Mixed bag.  But fair.

Slow OT's against speed - eh, I don't think so.  LT is the best of the lineman.  And pass protection is a strength, run blocking is what has been questioned.  

Clifford throws off that back foot A LOT - very true.   

DL apparantly allows good running lanes - no.  They have been very stout against the run.  Wisconsin may have had a decent number of yards, even at that, it wasn't impressive by Wisconsin standards and the yards per carry were poor, they just ran it a ton of times because our offense gave them a million possessions.  This is a very strong run defense.

Auburn should play to stuff the run and pressure Clifford.  Like Wisconsin did.  You'll keep us from having any consistency on offense.  Dare us to take the top off.  We may succeed a couple of times, but Clifford will miss his share too.  How many he hits may determine the game.  I don't expect you'll hold up as well as Wisconsin did on D, but then again, I think you'll score more than they did too.  We'll see.  I'm excited but definitely nervous about this one.  Somebody is getting a big W.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, eartotheground said:

there's plenty of athleticism. the blue chip ratio is higher than it's ever been in happy valley. auburn isn't walking into this with a speed or athlete advantage.

Of course. PSU has a solid talent pool in all phases. It will be a tremendous atmosphere and a tough test for Auburn. Most of us believe it will be a hard fought, relatively low scoring game. It may come down to the wire with a FG or less being the difference.  The homer in me picks the Tigers, but it should be an exciting environment and perfect for the Gameday folks. I wish I could be there in person to enjoy it. 

Thanks for dropping by. 

16 hours ago, cbo said:

Let's hope we can have an objective discussion, whatever happens. 

As long as people don't make up stories in their minds and actually read what the person says as opposed to replying to made up convos it should be easy

• Like 1