Athletic facility upgrades announced

AUreo

Not sure, where to post this, so starting a new thread:

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2021/09/091328-bot.php

For the Athletics Department, the board elected to:

• BASEBALL: Commence the next phase of the Plainsman Park Player Development Center and start the architect selection process. Aimed at enhancing the fan experience, the project will include premium seating improvements above the new Player Development Center, as well as additional seating, new restrooms, concessions, a covered pavilion and a connection to the existing seating concourse. Athletics is expected to finance the project through bonds and gifts.

• WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Initiate the project and start architect selection process to renovate the women’s basketball locker rooms in Auburn Arena. This project includes improvements to the team’s meeting areas, video review lab, team lounge, nutrition area, coaches’ locker room and restrooms. Athletics is expected to finance the project with bond funds.

• GYMNASTICS AND SOFTBALL: Renovate the gymnastics and softball team areas within the McWhorter Center. The project will upgrade the current space to effectively support the development of student-athletes and allow these programs to compete nationally at the highest level. Athletics is anticipated to finance the project with bonds and gifts. 

• Like 2

Looks like Greene is getting the ball rolling on the upgrades that Auburn has been needing for a while now. New Swimming coach. Volleyball coach, Woman's Basketball coach, Football Coach, getting Football complex started and now this. I believe we have seen Greene turn the corner as an AD and the overall athletic program at Auburn turn a corner.

With all the improvements I want to hear from the Greene naysayers as to why we need a new AD? 

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Looks like Greene is getting the ball rolling on the upgrades that Auburn has been needing for a while now. New Swimming coach. Volleyball coach, Woman's Basketball coach, Football Coach, getting Football complex started and now this. I believe we have seen Greene turn the corner as an AD and the overall athletic program at Auburn turn a corner.

With all the improvements I want to hear from the Greene naysayers as to why we need a new AD? 

Not a Greene naysayer, his issues were also how he just operated the AD, ie. Burgess coming in and facilitating.

Not sure if these are all Greene pushes, or if Burgess got these rolling, and not GReene. Others with inside access will have to confirm or deny...

And ofc, many on here will notice nothing being addressed regarding a new feasibility study to make improvements to JHS, which I would think Harsin would totally support...

Btw, this is UGA's brand new $80M FB facility. Maybe not quite as spectacular as Auburn's future FB PC but still state-of-the-art.

Now, Green should call Tim Cook and discuss some potential JHS upgrades!

Edited by AUreo

On 9/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, AUreo said:

Btw, this is UGA's brand new $80M FB facility. Maybe not quite as spectacular as Auburn's future FB PC but still state-of-the-art.

They have some really neat technology in there.  Nicely done. 

On 9/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, AUreo said:

Due to the age of UGA's campus, space is a premium and I think they did a good job of putting the bells and whistles on their facility to include a smart layout and design. Their new facility does not come across as gimmicky but classy and a sharp balance between technology and promotion. To me, I like UGA's look vs. LSU's montage.  I am excited about AU's new facility and the potential. I hope we go more classy and sharp vs. loud, i.e., LSU. 

• 2 months later...

We need to get more serious about investing in future athletic facilities upgrades because cosmetic upgrades won’t do it. I read that Ole Miss is planning to invest $300M in facilities upgrades (2023-2026)

• $250-300M in stadium renovations
  • $35-40M Manning Center upgrades

TAMU will add $200M in athletics renovations to its current budget  

Vanderbilt to invest $300M in athletic facilities upgrades

What would be our priority list?

• Football Performance Center (check)
  • JHS expansion/renovation
  • Basketball Performance Center (as requested by BP)
  • other?
Edited by AUreo
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AUlurker said:

I'm curious where the Basketball Performance Center would go if we were to build one.

I don’t think there are any plans (it was just a request). However, demolishing BEMC would make sense and create some additional space.

• Like 1