Thoughts on early scholarship offers?

Zeek

Just saw Florida offered an 8th grade quarterback. I know this isn't anything new but I find it gross and weird every time it happens.

Think the NCAA should honestly prevent offers until they are Juniors in high school at the earliest. It is not a good thing for a kid mentally in the 8th grade to have that kind of attention and pressure. It is wildly unhealthy and the way their peers treat them sets them up for a terrible mindset.

Went to high school with a kid who was offered by Bama as a freshman and committed right away (additionally he got a brand new Jeep soon after despite his mom living on welfare and his dad being in jail his whole life but that's besides the point). He went from a respected kid to the god of the school and admin/coaches wouldn't touch him for anything he did. I'm talking about groping girls in the hall, taking teachers jackets because he was cold, and a number of forced grade changes. When he got to the Turds he almost immediately got in trouble for armed robbery for f***ing snack money; like the Turds wouldn't have fed him anything he wanted anyways.

My point is this, let these kids live their lives and regain a focus on academics for a while. They need to mature and go through as normal of a life as possible before all the media attention and additional pressures. Let football be a fun game and not some means to an end for a little while longer. Watch the QB1 show and look at how mentally jacked up these kids get. They are so focused on getting to the next step they're not enjoying anything and their priorities are all out of wack.

I dunno... maybe I'm just turning into an old man yelling at the sky but I don't like it.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Until somebody points out to me that it can be constructively advantageous for the kids, I don't see a reason that colleges should legally be able to recruit kids younger than 10th grade. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

I don’t know. I really want AU to make an in utero offer on someone just for the hell of it….

If the last name is Manning, I’m good with it.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, aubcali said:

If the last name is Manning, I’m good with it.

Exactly….

Actually, I’m with @Zeek here. Offering, and really intensively recruiting, kids before their tenth grade year is just creepy and weird but how the game is played I guess. Recruiting is just a sordid business, always has been…

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

Exactly….

Actually, I’m with @Zeek here. Offering, and really intensively recruiting, kids before their tenth grade year is just creepy and weird but how the game is played I guess. Recruiting is just a sordid business, always has been…

We absolutely make compromises to be fans of this sport. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We absolutely make compromises to be fans of this sport. 

I try not to think too deeply about it. Denial is a strategy….

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

I try not to think too deeply about it. Denial is a strategy….

And a river in Egypt. I'm very well acquainted with the former and hope to see the latter one day. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I don’t know. I really want AU to make an in utero offer on someone just for the hell of it….

I requested this for literally all of Cam's kids.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Exactly….

I think they should either 1) be a high school Junior before any contact is made regarding recruiting or 2) be 18 years old. Granted, you should probably be a high school junior by the time you're 18 but a lot of athletes get held back so that they're older and bigger than the competition.

The NCAA should really make an app that all coach contact should go through and therefor be able to be monitored. Players should sign up, enter their GPA/ACT/SAT scores, enter their height and weight (should be NCAA sponsored events to get a verified check on their profiles and measurements/40-time type stats), high school stats (maybe verified through MaxPreps or some other service), and their preferences.

So if I'm a 4* player living in Auburn then I should be able to check that I'm only interested in D1/Power 5 schools within a certain distance. Coaches request to contact them and they can accept or deny the message making their intentions clear. The app could also help players know when camps are happening near them. 

I dunno, literally thinking of this as I type but there has to be a better way for recruiting to work and be monitored. I think teams and coaches would benefit from this and honestly non-major programs would really thrive from this.

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think they should either 1) be a high school Junior before any contact is made regarding recruiting or 2) be 18 years old. Granted, you should probably be a high school junior by the time you're 18 but a lot of athletes get held back so that they're older and bigger than the competition.

The NCAA should really make an app that all coach contact should go through and therefor be able to be monitored. Players should sign up, enter their GPA/ACT/SAT scores, enter their height and weight (should be NCAA sponsored events to get a verified check on their profiles and measurements/40-time type stats), high school stats (maybe verified through MaxPreps or some other service), and their preferences.

So if I'm a 4* player living in Auburn then I should be able to check that I'm only interested in D1/Power 5 schools within a certain distance. Coaches request to contact them and they can accept or deny the message making their intentions clear. The app could also help players know when camps are happening near them. 

I dunno, literally thinking of this as I type but there has to be a better way for recruiting to work and be monitored. I think teams and coaches would benefit from this and honestly non-major programs would really thrive from this.

This all makes way to much sense. Keep suggesting stuff like this and you might fall up a flight of stairs

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I requested this for literally all of Cam's kids.

I'll take any of the Brady sons for sure...or Ben's boys. :)

I think that softball, and maybe some other sports are restricted from offering until they are in a certain grade in HS, I think.

And I agree, football, as well as all sports should do the same and limit it to no lower than 10th grade....

When i was in 8th grade, girls were finally on my radar, so I wouldn't know what to do with a football scholarship offer. :)

• Like 1

The NCAA has already limited recruiting/offers in softball to something like 10th grade and above. It's not an impossible rule to put in place. Enforcement is probably another matter.

Edited by Mikey

2 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

Auburn offered Owen Pappoe a scholarship when he was 14 and in 8th grade. Just sayin'....

Didn't like it then and don't like it now. Don't care who does it.

• Like 1

It’s ridiculous and seems to be more about social media entertainment than any sense of reality. 

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Didn't like it then and don't like it now. Don't care who does it.

Yup. Pappoe is clearly a very solid dude with a great head on his shoulders. Probably comes from a great family who helped him navigate the "sordid"- that's exactly the word, @fredst- world of recruiting. Just makes him lucky, doesn't make the practice okay. 

• Like 2

I 100% agree that we should not offer kids younger than 11th grade.  There is way too much mental and physical growth before this age.  It is also too much pressure on the kid.  Imagine being in 8th grade and someone coming in and making you an offer for football but in a couple of years you grow a few more inches and want to try basketball or something.  Maybe lineman like wrestling better.  Whatever.  The point is that an 8th grader has no concept of what their future is and this just pushes them to chose earlier.  Heck half the kids can't even drive before 11th grade.

I say make it no offers before the kid can at least drive.