29-33 There's a problem here

shabby

Just now, shabby said:

and this stat is not an aberation.

Akron threw 22 completions out of 27 attempts.

Alabama State: 19 out of 29 attempts.

all together opposing qb's are completing 78.6% of passes. that's bad

Tonight was an embarrassment for our secondary.

• Like 2

Just now, PUB78 said:

Tonight was an embarrassment for our secondary.

so was last week. if this doesn't improve quickly this season will get ugly fast. Weird- pre season the hype was how good the secondary would be. 

• Like 2

Not surprised. Barely any pressure even in the ASU game and secondary hadnt looked impressive at all because of it. Same story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

so was last week. if this doesn't improve quickly this season will get ugly fast. Weird- pre season the hype was how good the secondary would be. 

Agree. Our secondary was supposed to be a strength with the experienced players coming back and the transfers.

• Like 1

Is it a change in the defensive scheme that they have to relearn? Somebody who knows defense answer that question.  I know Masons philosophy is different than Steele’s. I am missing Steele’s hard hitting defense right now.  

• Like 3

Just now, 3rdgeneration said:

Is it a change in the defensive scheme that they have to relearn? Somebody who knows defense answer that question.  I know Masons philosophy is different than Steele’s. I am missing Steele’s hard hitting defense right now.  

Looks like we aint strong enough in the secondary to throw blitzes and not strong enough up front to get there without blitzes. Partly coach. Partly who we are.

• Like 2

When the DL can not pressure the qb our secondary will look like this every single time. The qb could have made a sandwich and ate it back there. It is not reasonable to think we can cover guys all night long while the qb just stands there surveying the field. several times I saw the receivers come back to him and work themselves open. And we all saw the tight end exploiting our defense. We have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like Mason, but he deserves his share of criticism too. Soft play calling, no blitzes, and hell bent with zone despite having personnel suited for press man. He got completely out coached tonight imo. No way around it. The stat in the title tells us all we need to know. The crazy thing is that the lack of pass rush and zone busts was an issue from the first quarter but no adjustments

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure all this falls on Mason. There wasn't much of a pass rush under Steele the last 2 years either. The few times we did try to blitz, Penn State picked it up and burned us.

• Like 2

May not have been much a rush but the extra down linemen made a difference. To run a 3 man front ur linebacker need to be on point and a Fairley type of player on the middle

• Like 1

Our soft zone isn't working. Sure, we are stopping the run, and keeping them in front of us. It ain't enough. And a 3 or 4 man rush is bringing zero pressure, sadly.  I don't like that D much at all. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, e808 said:

May not have been much a rush but the extra down linemen made a difference. To run a 3 man front ur linebacker need to be on point and a Fairley type of player on the middle

That 3 man rush on the opening drive when we could’ve had a quick 3 and out and solidified momentum probably should’ve been more indicative of something than it was (for me). Also something to be said for them being unable to stop guys from getting open with 8 back there lol 

They look INCAPABLE of blitzing it looks like. Brought Derick Hall when a TE split out wide, and he was the only guy there that could’ve covered him. Looks like systemic issues imo 

• Like 3

Harsin said that Owen Pappoe didn’t play the whole last half of the game.  I don’t know why I didn’t notice it and why the announcers didn’t mention it. I’m sure having him out makes a difference.  

You also have to give PSU offensive coaches a lot of credit for putting together a perfect game plan against our defense.  They knew exactly what our DBs were going to do and where the zones were.  They ran seam routes all night to exploit the soft zone.  Our defensive coaches have a lot of work to do.  There is nothing wrong with a soft zone in certain circumstances but mix in a good tight man or some Chizik Cover-2.  We have the talent but the scheme is off. 

• Like 3

Absolutely 0 pressure on the QB & that bend don’t break $hit tired of it already, reminds me of Ted Roof. Gave them 10 yard cushions all night until the 4th. 5 yards. 20 yards. 40 yards. 5 yards, etc. All night. IMO, DM lost this game on D. Their QB was supposed to be a weakness & we made him look all Big 10. We saw the warning signs the first 2 games, the concerns were confirmed to be 100% spot on. If Mason doesn’t change that soft zone we will continue to get ate alive. Ready to come home & rewatch it on TV to see things I missed. 

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to 29-33 There's a problem here

THIS is the issue going forward. We play at least 3 teams with better to much better QB and teams that have multiple receivers that are as good if not better than PSU guys. 

Absolutely 0 pressure on the QB & that bend don’t break $hit tired of it already, reminds me of Ted Roof. Gave them 10 yard cushions all night until the 4th. 5 yards. 20 yards. 40 yards. 5 yards, etc. All night. IMO, DM lost this game on D. Their QB was supposed to be a weakness & we made him look all Big 10. We saw the warning signs the first 2 games, the concerns were confirmed to be 100% spot on. If Mason doesn’t change that soft zone we will continue to get ate alive. Ready to come home & rewatch it on TV to see things I missed. 

• Like 1