What actually happened during the psu game

cole256

Right now we are still in the lovey dovey honeymoon phase with Harsin. Some of the decisions he made last night will get a pass today, but won’t be tolerated later in his tenure. Imagine former AU coaches making the call with 5 options on a 4th and 2 from the goal line that is anything other than feeding your future nfl rb who was already having a really good night. They’d be skewered today. Love Cole’s take on the QB and Wr’s too. Spot on. 

Edited by NoALtiger
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

“BO SUCKS” is not a critique. 
And that’s what you get from most of these guys who have never put on a helmet. 
Bo is a good QB. The problem is that folks don’t understand what “good” entails. 

I agree with the so and so sucks is way over board. I think most of the guys who do that are used to doing that to many many QB's of the past

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

For the more objective guys you can see where this is going.....Let's talk what really happened this game without all of the emotion.

QB play: Well it depends how you look at this right? If you go by where he was at I'd say he's improved. But talking strictly this game he's a very average mediocre QB. But I feel like I'll need at least one but maybe two more games and I'll tell you everything you'll need to know.

As far as this game he's not a star or a high level performer. He may never be able to push the ball down field. Everybody saw the one throw that could have lost us the game early, but if you watch closely he had two other throws that were precursors to that play. There were two other passes that are picks to good corners.

I'm going to get to the wr's but I've seen a few people blame the wr for the play where he can't track the ball......that ball wasn't even in play, get real. If you look at the last minute stupid call on 4 th and 2 that ball wasn't going to be where the play could've possibly be made.

We're playing trying to hide the QB or in spite of instead of the QB winning it for us. That's THIS PARTICULAR GAME.

You see this is the base line, I told people there would need to be time to try to improve, when the game got ancy you saw Bo go back to the off balance, back foot QB. Like I said it takes reps. It's more than having a coach come in and say don't do that and viola it's fixed. 

Bo may have been hurt but as stated he doesn't have the arm strength to make the throws off his back leg. What you watched was to be Sean white playing but with less accuracy.

QB play is better but it's very underwhelming. And he certainly shouldn't get singled out for any blame but at the same time the overzealous fan boy should stop trying to make him a world beater off single plays or mediocre opponents as well. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You certainly can't say the QB play was good enough but these other guys suck! QB is the most important spot on the field, if you have a play maker here or a guy that can carry a team instead of a guy who everything has to be just right for you'd have different results.

HB: The stars of the team. It's a shame you take the ball out of their hand, after they gave you so much. They are the key to Bo actually being able to play QB.....

TE. Did his job, if he was more of an athlete we aren't in the 4th and 2 situation but he's giving you everything he has

WR: I think it was Audevil but somebody wrote how #0 isn't a number 1 receiver. That's the best assessment I've read. We don't have a number 1 guy. Imo opinion our fan base don't take into everything a number 1 guy goes thru and certainly didn't appreciate SW. But here you go, you didn't like the way he demanded the ball.....now you have incompetent play....how do you like it? We had some drops but when they had balls they could actually make plays on they mostly came thru. The rainbow throws are horrible to try to make plays on. 

We had a td play the very beginning of the game but we couldn't get the ball to him. You just can't get me to believe that canion and capers wouldn't be better. If you had a super accurate QB maybe the other guys would work better but with Bo there's no way having some big guys who can make plays or at least offer bigger targets with bigger catch radius isn't better.

O line. They had some good plays, they had some bad plays. They are pretty average too. You can win with them but you have to help them with mixing up the run and pass. They aren't a line you can just expect to dominate and your QB never has any pressure. They were actually above average in run blocking.

I'm just going to say defense in a group. I wrote about this game we'll see if we actually have a pass rush and nobody talked about that......We don't. You can see that we placed our bets that the QB couldn't carry them and beat us. You see the point of a zone is to wait for a mistake. There are holes but can the QB go the entire game and find them without a mistake or drop. We didn't think their QB could but he did. People were calling for blitzes and as soon as we did they hit us for big plays every time.

Now the thing to see is if we make the same mistakes or do we get better. When we had adversity we had two different results. We had the one drive where we marched down with the running game. We had that 3 and out series where we got ancy and threw the horrible passes. Let's see what this team do more times than not.

While I agree we are more fundamentally sound in areas that will not guarantee success because the really good teams we play will be fundamentally sound also.  The area that will determine success is a good game plan with sound play calling and that was abysmal last night.  Yurich attacked what we did.  He attacked our zone with underneath routes, he also sent the TEs down the middle with zone clearing routes.  We did not attack what they did with our playcalling.  We did not run misdirection to try and slow them down, we did not run draw plays to slow down the pass rush and we did not run crossblocking schemes to open up running lanes.

• Like 2

After sleeping on it this is where I'm personally at with Bo. I gave him props last night. He has improved, stayed in the pocket, and didn't play hero ball. No doubt he has taken steps forward, and he and the coaches deserve credit. The issue is that while he has improved, he is not where we need him to be. That is honestly to be expected, as it usually takes more than one offseason to fix that many issues.

If he was a freshman or even a sophomore, I'd be feeling a lot better. The question is how much can he realistically improve with only one year left? Is his deep ball a product of his shoulder, bad mechanics, or lack of arm strength? Maybe all three? Do Harsin and Bobo realistically think he can get to where they need him to be at this point in his career? If they do, are they willing to tie their fates to him and take that risk that he can take that final step? If they are not, I would at least advocate for TJ and/or DD to start getting some snaps. I am not calling for his benching, but I think it's decision time on if Bo is still the future. That is fair and rational imo

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Bo is a good QB. The problem is that folks don’t understand what “good” entails. 

I agree. I noticed that Bo has improved this year with staying in the pocket keeping his eyes downfield but this is a team sport and Bo's success is tied to the team.  In other words the WR play as last year is still abysmal.  There was not any separation from the DBs, play calling could have als helped Bo by running some draw plays to slow down the pass rush.

36 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

DL needs to generate a pass rush badly.

Most dispiriting aspect of the game for me. I predicted that our DL would win the game for us. Part of that was scheme but inarguably a disappointment and arguably what *lost* the game. 

We did hold them under a hundred yards rushing but at some point they might've realized they had no need to.

• Like 6

Is it just me or did we see Bo throw some crazy high rainbows in the first 2 games as well. I feel like it wasn't due to his shoulder but I'm not exactly sober during the games 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I normally don't do this but MY GOD SETH YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED. Can you imagine.

Frustrations of playing with Bo and the other stupid offensive stuff drove him away when he got the slightest chance to be drafted

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1

This game was not lost due to Bo. If you put Bo on PSU last night and their guy with us , the outcome would have been the same IMO. Our receivers did not help much , theirs did. They had pass rush, we did not. We had a critical turnover, they did not. And most of all our game planning especially on defense and in game coaching was inferior to theirs. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Frustrations of playing with Bo and the other stupid offensive stuff drove him away when he got the slightest chance to he drafted

Yeah, I get why he left for sure. I just wish someone could've given him some confidence that Harsin would feature him in a better offense.

Of course, like you said, maybe this offense just really is limited by, uh, things.

• Like 1

Bo got sacked or at least hit on a throw and thrown to the ground on his shoulder. The telecast showed the replay and followed him on the sideline where he was trying to see if he could use full range of motion without too much pain or loss of strength.  He did make some throws after that but who knows how much it affected his play. I agree also terrible last play. With Harsin it should have been Statue of Liberty handoff like the fiesta bowl.

Edited by jj3jordan
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Bo got sacked or at least hit on a throw and thrown to the ground on his shoulder. The telecast showed the replay and followed him on the sideline where he was trying to see if he could use full range of motion without too much pain or loss of strength.  He did make some throws after that but who knows how much it affected his play. I agree also terrible last play. With Harsin it should have been Statue of Liberty handoff like the fiesta bowl.

Should have lined up in the I, and ran a play action flare pass to the fullback. It's one of the absolute hardest plays to defend on the goal line. If by chance is does happened to be defended you always have the option of the QB running outside on the same side.

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some objective random thoughts:

1) Bo was just ok. Didn't lose us the game and didn't do enough to win it for us either. We heard before the game that he'd be involved in the run game with QB powers. Apparently Harsin/Bobo thought was a good way to get him comfortable to start the game. I'd rather they use some easy intermediate throws in the middle of field to get him into a rhythm. Bo is absolutely a "rhythm shooter." Get him going with some easy TE sit downs, rollouts, bootlegs, maybe a friggin drag route....save that design run stuff for the redzone.

2) The defensive game plan was BAD. We're built to be able to assert ourselves on defense and we were sitting back on our heels too damn much. We were passive. I hate that. They only had 66 plays, but we gave up TD drives of 88 and 91. 

3) Outside of Tank and Hunter, we have no playmakers on offense. No other game changers. Somebody has got to step up in that WR room. 

4) The OL held their own. We absolutely should have run the ball more. We had a chance in the 2nd half to wear their defense down, but we went away from the run and simply staying ahead of the chains. We have to be a grind it out offense.

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Imagine former AU coaches making the call with 5 options on a 4th and 2 from the goal line that is anything other than feeding your future nfl rb who was already having a really good night

Reading this I quickly thought of Dye.  His idea of options on short yardage situations at the goal would have been RB1 or RB2. Game's different today but there is a time to  play really serious, nitty gritty football and 4th and 2 at the goal is one of those times. What we did  sent a message to everyone watching and playing that we didn't think we were man enough to stick it in the endzone with power football. Bo isn't going to fool anyone into confusing him with Tom Brady. Bo was serviceable last night in that the game was winnable and that's well and good but with game on the line you give the ball to your rockstar. 

• Like 1

Bo looked better composed and plays didn’t feel chaotic compared to the past few years. However I’ve always heard you can’t teach accuracy and so far that’s holding true. Mixed with a mediocre WR corps and this is going to be an issue all season. The good teams are going to make the passing game beat them and chances are it won’t.  

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

There is a good post on another board that breaks down his game. Take away the WR drops and the throw aways and it’s not a bad game. He also has about half the time in the pocket that the PSU QB had. The OL did not have a great game and that impacted Bo and the run game. As for the rainbow balls, that had to be by design. I don’t remember seeing that kind of exaggerated throw from him, at all, before last night. Those were put in by a coach, probably as a preparation for not being able to slow the pass rush.

Bo played well enough last night. Our OL was not good, IMHO, and our WRs were not good. I was also surprised at our DLs lack of impact in the passing game. That has to improve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Reading this I quickly thought of Dye.  His idea of options on short yardage situations at the goal would have been RB1 or RB2. Game's different today but there is a time to  play really serious, nitty gritty football and 4th and 2 at the goal is one of those times. What we did  sent a message to everyone watching and playing that we didn't think we were man enough to stick it in the endzone with power football. Bo isn't going to fool anyone into confusing him with Tom Brady. Bo was serviceable last night in that the game was winnable and that's well and good but with game on the line you give the ball to your rockstar. 

Exactly, it’s a no brainer really. I mean, it wasn’t even a high percentage pass anyways. There would have to be better options other than that call if you did want to pass. I realize the game shouldn’t have to come down to one play so I’m trying to keep things in perspective, it’s just really weird and disappointing to lose a winnable game. We’ve got harder ones to come. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

This game was not lost due to Bo. If you put Bo on PSU last night and their guy with us , the outcome would have been the same IMO. Our receivers did not help much , theirs did. They had pass rush, we did not. We had a critical turnover, they did not. And most of all our game planning especially on defense and in game coaching was inferior to theirs. 

You are out of your mind

"But I feel like I'll need at least one but maybe two more games and I'll tell you everything you'll need to know."

Well then I'll breathlessly await your post to hear "everything" I'll need to know. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Is it just me or did we see Bo throw some crazy high rainbows in the first 2 games as well. I feel like it wasn't due to his shoulder but I'm not exactly sober during the games 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

One throw was laughable.but I just read it was by design😂

• Haha 1

IMO, a naked bootleg option on the 4th and goal play was our best option. I wonder if it was even one of the scripted situational plays they considered during the TO…just a horrible call to run the fade when this team has no proven WR’s and a semi-accurate QB.  

And the FG instead of going for it…bring in Finley and utilize his 6’7” long body. I thought we missed a gut check opportunity for our staff on that call. 

But, the guys never quit, and fought a good team tooth and nail in a tough venue. They’ll get better from this.

14 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

"But I feel like I'll need at least one but maybe two more games and I'll tell you everything you'll need to know."

Well then I'll breathlessly await your post to hear "everything" I'll need to know. 

If you’re waiting for everyone to opine Gus’ dismissal, go ahead and fit yourself for a casket…it’ll be awhile.🤣

Edited by Swamp Eagle

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You are out of your mind

It’s safe to assume there were several shortcomings for the loss, none more obvious than the lack of defensive adjustments once the 3 rushers vs 5 blockers plan fell apart. I like Mason, but he’s gonna have to do more than sit back and get picked apart. This is Auburn, not Vanderbilt; you don’t have to play not-to-lose.  It’s obvious we lost this game on defense, primarily. 

The run D was super, but why not keep throwing it when you have 5-9 seconds to do so?

Edited by Swamp Eagle

2 hours ago, CCTAU said:

I will wholeheartedly agree on the first point.  Bo does not deserve that.

But he is NOT a good quarterback.  I have thought, for awhile, he plays out of position.  Waaay out of position. I see more Rob Pate in him than I do Ben Leard. 

He is inaccurate and makes poor decisions.  He is just the best we have right now.  If we see him next year, I think it will be on the bench. With a year under their belt, I just don't se him beating out Finley or Davis.

A very good young man, but not the guy you really want under center at this level.

Just my opinion.

Edited by 1716AU
  • Like 1