offense better suited for wishbone or veer

TuscaloosaTiger

In the absence of wide receiver playmakers this year, but blessed with a pair of terrific RBs who need to be on the field as much as possible together, plus a QB with speed and running ability (if not adequate passing skills), and an OL that showed real promise last night when run blocking against a better-than-average defensive front, is there any chance AU moves toward an option-type run set involving both RBs as the season progresses.  If last night's performance is an indicator of our receiving core's skill set (sans Shecker), then I just don't see much hope for remedying our passing attack woes against the SEC competition we are facing this year.  Thoughts?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I’d like to see a ton of one of those two and Shivers on the field against the good teams where every play matters. You can contend that our two best players are those two RBs, and Shivers is an eternally dynamic threat. 

There NEEDS to be more RB involved in the receiving game too. They look good as outlets, they’re the best at operating in space, they’re the best at moving on the edges. They both move more fluid than any of our WRs (thatve gotten burn). So yeah, wishbone, triple option looks involving the slot WRs (if the edge blocking improves!!!), love it 

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

In the absence of wide receiver playmakers this year, but blessed with a pair of terrific RBs who need to be on the field as much as possible together, plus a QB with speed and running ability (if not adequate passing skills), and an OL that showed real promise last night when run blocking against a better-than-average defensive front, is there any chance AU moves toward an option-type run set involving both RBs as the season progresses.  If last night's performance is an indicator of our receiving core's skill set (sans Shecker), then I just don't see much hope for remedying our passing attack woes against the SEC competition we are facing this year.  Thoughts?

Sorry I just had to laugh.  

That is NOT what Harsin runs.  He never has.  Better get used to it,.

• Like 2

I appreciate your laughter and, yes, I'm well aware of Harsin's offensive proclivities, but he may not have the personnel to run his schemes this year.  He needs to find ways to optimize Bo's skill set and take full advantage of offensive sets with both RBs on the field together.  Bear Bryant was not originally a devotee of the wishbone either, but managed to use it quite well. The point is to find ways to use our talents and minimize our liabilities.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I appreciate your laughter and, yes, I'm well aware of Harsin's offensive proclivities, but he may not have the personnel to run his schemes this year.  He needs to find ways to optimize Bo's skill set and take full advantage of offensive sets with both RBs on the field together.  Bear Bryant was not originally a devotee of the wishbone either, but managed to use it quite well. The point is to find ways to use our talents and minimize our liabilities.

Bryant made the change during the off-season not during the year.  In addition, your QB needs to be able to make proper reads for the veer or bone to go.

• Like 1

Can’t be one dimensional anymore. QB is going to have to be at least decent for the run to work. If not they only will focus on stopping the run. Probably why they tried to pass as much as they did. It was what the defense was giving them. However, our young receivers could not take advantage of it.

Edited by wildlife alumni

Agreed, but you don't believe Bo has the wherewithal to make option reads?  He has the speed and running abilities otherwise. Again, I have no illusion Harsin will go to a wishbone or veer scheme, but we don't have the wide receiver talent to run his system this year.  I can envision working in a triple option set over the course of the season, but not relying on it as the primary offensive scheme.

Just now, TuscaloosaTiger said:
24 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I really get what you are saying, but no coach is going to go that far away from his system.  He definitely gets an F from me for last night, but I just have a feeling that we will see a different team tomorrow.

• WarTiger changed the title to offense better suited for wishbone or veer
2 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

My memory fails me, but did Ronnie Brown and Cadillac ever line up together in the same backfield and if so, then what was/were the set(s)? Surely we got them on the field together in some situations.

Sure they probably did but never consistently. Remember Caddy getting hurt in Gainesville one night. Ronnie came in for him and certainly no drop off.

Speaking of tandems there was a picture floating around once of Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, and William Andrews all in the Auburn backfield at once….talk about some talent.

Side note, there was a little known running back in that era named Chester Willis. Career rushing at only like 300 yards. He was drafted by the Raiders in the 11th round 1981 and played for them 3 years. Few Auburn folks could even remember him.

I was at that game at UF (probably in 2003?).  You are correct that Caddy did get hurt early in the game. Ronnie came in and had a great game.  We settled for a late game winning chip shot FG that was blocked and we went on to lose in OT to UF and Rex Grossman.  Tough loss.  Thanks for the memories!

Cribbs, Brooks, and Andrews were a heck of a backfield.  Who was in the backfield with Bo Jackson and Lionel James?  Weren't they in a wishbone set?  Did Brad Lester play in same backfield with Bo?

6 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I’ll tell Bobo to get right on that.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I was at that game at UF (probably in 2003?).  You are correct that Caddy did get hurt early in the game. Ronnie came in and had a great game.  We settled for a late game winning chip shot FG that was blocked and we went on to lose in OT to UF and Rex Grossman.  Tough loss.  Thanks for the memories!

Cribbs, Brooks, and Andrews were a heck of a backfield.  Who was in the backfield with Bo Jackson and Lionel James?  Weren't they in a wishbone set?  Did Brad Lester play in same backfield with Bo?

Brent Fullwood in the backfield when Bo was around……All American and not a lot of “drop off” there. 
2002 was the year I think. Recall being in Peach Tree City on a youth baseball thing. Watching from the hotel and thinking Ronnie maybe better than Caddy.

• Like 1

It would make sense to emphasize our best weapons on offense and that is our RB's, TE's and Bo's running ability.  I don't think they have to install an entirely new offense to  but they should run the ball more, RPO more and play action more especially to the TE's. 

Agree, especially on getting tight ends involved (hopefully someone at AU also noticed PSU successes last night with tight ends up the seam) and both RBs on field together.  I think the latter may have actually happened on at least one successful play where Tank came in motion to line up together with Bo and Hunter.  Again, I doubt we will ever see an option formation like a wishbone formation used again at AU, just hoping for a creative scheme to get both backs together on the field to take advantage of their talent.

I don't know about a wishbone or veer, but the zone read isn't complicated.  I don't think we'll see it much out of Harsin, but I think it's a good fit for Bo.  I expected to see mostly a West Coast type offense with short passes to the running backs and tight ends and a lot of play action. That's what we are suited for. I'm not really seeing it though. And I'm not sure why.

14 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Who was in the backfield with Bo Jackson and Lionel James?  Weren't they in a wishbone set?  Did Brad Lester play in same backfield with Bo?

Tommy Agee was fullback with Bo and Little Train, at least in 1983. (Agee ran for more than 200 yards against Maryland that season.)

Edited by CleCoTiger
spelling (capitalization)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Tommy Agee was fullback with Bo and Little train, at least in 1983. (Agee ran for more than 200 yards against Maryland that season.)

Great player and person. Heard him on a local radio show a while back

https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/1/20/football-2019-mlk-day-feature-tommie-agee.aspx

“You have to be a servant first. The way I live my life and the way I was brought up, you try to treat people the way you want to be treated, or better.

And when you see someone in need, you extend a helping hand. If you can do anything to make someone else's life better, I was taught by my grandmother, always try to do that. That stems from my faith. I was taught that being a servant to others is what it's all about."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Agreed, but you don't believe Bo has the wherewithal to make option reads?  He has the speed and running abilities otherwise. Again, I have no illusion Harsin will go to a wishbone or veer scheme, but we don't have the wide receiver talent to run his system this year.  I can envision working in a triple option set over the course of the season, but not relying on it as the primary offensive scheme.

A variation of the veer or bone might still can be used.  I saw Mullens do something against Bama Saturday and it was very effective.  Florida lined up in the gun and the formation looked like the standard zone read but instead of bullying the ball into the running back the QB started down the line similar to what you would see with the double option part of the triple option and the back would be trailing behind the QB as the other part of of the double option.  Worked well for Florida.