BREAKING NEWS FROM BREITBART: Conservatives Wont Get Vaccines Because That Would Make Them Feel Like Cucks! It's Official: Owning Libs > Saving own life.

CoffeeTiger

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Ron DeSantis has just appointed a SSSI to be Florida’s Surgeon General.  Shameful. 

It’s 28 minutes long and most on here won’t make it past 14 minutes before they stop it due to complete disgust as how an educated man could be so ignorant.

The bottom line is; you get to choose about your own health issues and don’t live in fear.

He's not ignorant.  He's an ideologue, just like DeSantis.

What do you want to bet he's vaccinated?

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

The bottom line is; you get to choose about your own health issues and don’t live in fear.

Are people living in fear when they won't take the vaccine because they're worried about detrimental effects?

3 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Are people living in fear when they won't take the vaccine because they're worried about detrimental effects?

Some - cough, cough, IM-4-AU - just figure the odds are on their side.  Screw everyone else.

• Thanks 1

Conservatives are dying to own the libs. Can anyone use that logic to get them vaccinated?

Arranging your entire political worldview around being against something can have very strange drawbacks. One recent example: A significant number of Republicans in a large number of red states are, essentially, dying in order to own the libs. At least one conservative writer is pushing back, but even his efforts show how convoluted and dangerous this strain of thinking has become.

This phenomenon, known as negative polarization, can be a potent force. It helped Donald Trump get elected president, after all. He stood against a media class that despises his voters. He attacked an elite class that considers Trump backers uncouth and unclean. He stood against immigrants who depressed wages and took their jobs. If you can be against enough things, you don’t really have to be for much of anything — a fact that also helped Joe Biden defeat Trump in 2020.

Another thing Trump was against: taking the covid-19 pandemic seriously. He denigrated masks, took risks that contributed to outbreaks in the White House and continued to hold live events, including election rallies and a rollout of Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination to the Supreme Court, that culminated in his own hospitalization. Trump’s opposition filtered down to his supporters: Though Trump could easily claim credit for the lifesaving vaccines that have dramatically curbed the coronavirus’s deadliness, many of his party’s members remain stubbornly resistant to getting their shots.

It doesn’t really matter how you break it down: Republican vaccination rates are lagging. You can look at self-reporting: When polled, only 55 percent of Republicans say they’ve been vaccinated, compared with 88 percent of Democrats. Or you can look at county-by-county numbers: According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, there’s a nearly 13-point gap in the vaccination rate between Trump-supporting counties and Biden-supporting counties. Or, most disastrously, you can look at per capita death rates: Ninety-five of the 100 worst-hit counties are in states Trump won in 2016.

However you want to slice it, one thing becomes strikingly obvious: There is significant Republican hesitancy to vaccination, and that hesitancy is swelling death rates. There’s something vaguely embarrassing about this, which is why you’ll occasionally see a Republican try to deflect from all of this data by pointing to other demographic groups as vaccine holdouts.

The numbers don’t really bear this out: Sixty percent of those who have received at least one dose are White, while 61 percent of the population is White; 17 percent of those who have received at least one dose are Hispanic, while 17 percent of the population is Hispanic; 10 percent of those who have received at least one dose are Black, while 12 percent of the population is Black. Still, it’s telling that the first response is to grasp for someone to be opposed to (recalcitrant minorities, in this case) rather than grappling with the ugly chain of logic the numbers of unvaccinated Americans reveal.

The thinking goes like this: The media and the elites are telling people they need to get vaccinated; the media and the elites are “the enemy of the people”; therefore, getting vaccinated against this disease that kills “only” 1 percent of the infected is bad. They’ll take their chances, thanks. And while I appreciate the fact that Republicans are in a tough spot philosophically thanks to mandate hesitancy — a hesitancy I, frankly, share — CNN’s Jake Tapper is right when he tells the governor of Mississippi, the state that now has the highest per capita death rate in the country, “Your way is failing.”

A philosophical resistance to mandates means people need to be persuaded to take the vaccine. But it’s hard to persuade people when they have already been persuaded by the websites they read and the talk show hosts they listen to that the people arguing in favor of vaccination are wicked. The result: Folks in Republican-leaning states (and folks in Republican-leaning media) are dying in greater numbers. And dying to own the libs has electoral consequences, as Breitbart’s John Nolte recently noted. Understanding he can’t make a straightforward case for vaccines to save the lives of his fellow travelers, though, he instead couches the fact that dying to own the libs is nuts by suggesting that the libs want you to die to own the libs.

“If I wanted to use reverse psychology to convince people not to get a life-saving vaccination, I would do exactly what [radio host Howard] Stern and the left are doing,” Nolte writes in one of the most fascinating political documents of our time. “I would bully and taunt and mock and ridicule you for not getting vaccinated.”

I wish Nolte nothing but the best in convincing Trump-backing Republicans that the path to electoral success and continued lib-ownage is to get vaccinated. If he can get his audience to finally take to heart the fact that 99.5 percent of those who are dying of covid-19 are unvaccinated, more power to him. But I do wish he spent more time exploring how negative polarization became the be-all and end-all in the Republican Party, to the point that it is a deadly phenomenon.

This might have undermined Nolte’s goal; no one wants to be told that their worldview is literally killing them. Still, it would be nice if we could figure out how to avoid hundreds of thousands of deaths in the future ahead of time — and how to talk to each other in a straightforward, sensible, grown-up way instead of tying ourselves in knots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/09/21/conservatives-are-dying-own-libs-can-anyone-use-that-logic-get-them-vaccinated/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

He's not ignorant.  He's an ideologue, just like DeSantis.

What do you want to bet he's vaccinated?

I’m sure he is vaccinated, but he doesn’t believe vaccinations are for everyone and seem to want to allow a persons to make a personal decision.  Is this wrong?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m sure he is vaccinated, but he doesn’t believe vaccinations are for everyone and seem to want to allow a persons to make a personal decision.  Is this wrong?

Sounds pretty logical to me......................

In fact, way better approach than trying to force it on everyone. That alone may encourage more to get it.

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Obviously he's wrong,  considering our vaccination rates among people who have no reason not to get vaccinated other than ignorance or political ideology.

What a dumb post. :no:

Edited by homersapien

23 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

They have fears and is probably why some will not take the vaccine.  Interestingly, those are the same people that, by and large, don’t mask and/or social distance (not living in fear of their fellow man).  Mostly the vaccinated fear the unvaccinated even though the vaccinated have a better chance of surviving Covid.  Strange isn’t it?

23 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Conservatives are dying to own the libs.

You must be celebrating.  Your wish has come true, you get rid of conservatives and feel no guilt.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

They have fears and is probably why some will not take the vaccine.  Interestingly, those are the same people that, by and large, don’t mask and/or social distance (not living in fear of their fellow man).  Mostly the vaccinated fear the unvaccinated even though the vaccinated have a better chance of surviving Covid.  Strange isn’t it?

Another stupid post. :-\

Vaccinated people still fear covid breakthrough infections - which aren't necessarily trivial - as well as the ongoing threat of new variants as well as the effect of an ongoing pandemic to our economy and society.

It's the high numbers of the unvaccinated fueling all of this.

Are you vaccinated?

Edited by homersapien

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You must be celebrating.  Your wish has come true, you get rid of conservatives and feel no guilt.

While I suppose the only positive effect of this is to cull anti-vaxxer MAGAs, every other effect of this pandemic is awful.  We'd be much better off without both.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, what's strange is that you continue to confuse fear with compassion and practicality. While certainly some people are fearful of Covid (many with every right because they're in a high-risk category, or have children that depend on them to keep them safe), many simply understand that vaccines, masking, distancing, etc. are the best way to prevent spread and protect society at large, thereby reducing the length and impact of the pandemic.

The line "don't live your life in fear" makes me sick in this context because of its callousness and arrogance. A positive is that when I hear someone use it, I know immediately the type of person I'm dealing with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Another stupid post. :-\

Vaccinated people still fear covid breakthrough infections - which aren't necessarily trivial - as well as the ongoing threat of new variants as well as the effect of an ongoing pandemic to our economy and society.

It's the high numbers of the unvaccinated fueling all of this.

Are you vaccinated?

i

So what you are saying is vaccinated people live in fear.  I agree. 

17 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

In fact, way better approach than trying to force it on everyone. That alone may encourage more to get it.

If if's and buts were candies and nuts......

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So what you are saying is vaccinated people live in fear.  I agree. 

Rational fear is a pretty good thing.  You won't last long as an individual - much less a species - without it.

You know IM, I haven't put you on ignore because you are at least judicious as I am about name calling. (Some posters simply cannot make a post without a personal insult).  I also need you as a useful foil. ;)

But you are starting to test my "ignore limits" on the basis of being able to make intelligent posts.  You're becoming way less competitive.  It's like trying to play tennis with a beginner.

Here's a suggestion:  Try thinking a little bit on what you are saying before clicking on the "post" button.

Edited by homersapien

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If if's and buts were candies and nuts......

I don't see anything wrong with a trained medical professional saying that the vaccine isn't the only path and should be a personal choice. Obviously he's not against the vaccine, just doesn't believe it is the end all be all for everything or everyone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I don't see anything wrong with a trained medical professional saying that the vaccine isn't the only path and should be a personal choice. Obviously he's not against the vaccine, just doesn't believe it is the end all be all for everything or everyone. 

If he was emphasizing the vaccine as being the best option, your point might have merit. He isn't.

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Yeah, it's pretty logical, except that it's not working.

Why is that do you suppose?

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, it's pretty logical, except that it's not working.

Why is that do you suppose?

Perhaps you actually have to give him more than a day to do his job..............

29 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

But to stop the epidemic we need a high percentage of people to get vaccinated.  Such a percentage would allow for those with genuine medical reasons to forego vaccination without threatening our herd immunity.

As many of the articles that have been posted indicate, our problem with low vaccination rates are correlated with MAGA politics.

You aren't going to persuade such people. Hell they still believe Trump won the last election.  Letting them at least choose between their job and their love for Trump sounds like a pretty good compromise to me. Let's see the effect of that.

Edited by homersapien

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Perhaps you actually have to give him more than a day to do his job..............

Yeah, right.   :laugh:

How long should we allow him do you suppose?

Following the strategy as posted in the OP would be far more likely to succeed than one bureaucrat in Florida.  He's just basically giving them intellectual permission to do what they intend to do in the first place.

Edited by homersapien

1 minute ago, Leftfield said:

No, what's strange is that you continue to confuse fear with compassion and practicality. While certainly some people are fearful of Covid (many with every right because they're in a high-risk category, or have children that depend on them to keep them safe), many simply understand that vaccines, masking, distancing, etc. are the best way to prevent spread and protect society at large, thereby reducing the length and impact of the pandemic.

The line "don't live your life in fear" makes me sick in this context because of its callousness and arrogance. A positive is that when I hear someone use it, I know immediately the type of person I'm dealing with.

Taking precautions is normal for humans as it the best way to preserve life.  Precautions are things like wearing a seat belt while driving.  Undue fear is what we are talking about here.  As an example; watch the first 45 seconds of this video.

Two elderly people with full face shields and masks cowering while a man eats without a mask.  I am compassionate for these old people because they are so afraid.  They have succumbed to the belief that if they catch Covid they will die.  They have absolutely no doubt.  This is unreasonable fear, in my opinion.

Tp the bolded part; this must be your favorite saying, it has no effect, but I will defend you use of it.

• Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Well Brother Homer you do at least qualify with the above said. Suppose you are not as “warped” as I initially indicated. Hope that assist you in feeling better about yourself and sleeping well tonight.

I didn't think it needed qualification.  I've been pretty clear, IMO.

Sorry I made you "clutch your pearls" from that perceived lack of clarity. My bad.  ;)

Edited by homersapien

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Rational fear is a pretty good thing.  You won't last long as an individual - much less a species - without it.

I agree here, but some people have irrational fears especially in response to all the *information* about Covid.  I just posted a video showing this.

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You know IM, I haven't put you on ignore because you are at least judicious as I am about name calling. (Some posters simply cannot make a post without a personal insult).  I also need you as a useful foil. ;)

But you are starting to test my "ignore limits" on the basis of being able to make intelligent posts.  You're becoming way less competitive.  It's like trying to play tennis with a beginner.

You know, threatening to put me on ignore is not the threat you think it is.  If you put me on ignore, I can express my opinion without objection.  Carry on.