"WR and TEs aren't creating separation" (or are they?)

W.E.D

These have been some of the criticisms, and at times accurate.  But we aren't really going into the times they are in position to make plays but don't have the opportunity to do so.

I've got a couple posts lined up outlining a few of these....

1st the deep pass to DRob on our 1st drive.

• He beat his DB
  • Safety is in the middle of the field worrying about another WR.
  • Corner of the EZ is wide open.  Throw it to the E
  • The ball is essentially thrown directly over the Safety's head and lands almost between the A and T.

throw1.JPG

throw2.JPG

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

• Fromm has his man beat 1 on 1 to the middle of the field.
  • The ball should be thrown towards the ref at least or to the left of the ref and hitting Fromm on the run
  • The ball is thrown just an absurd amount behind the TE, almost directly over his head when Bo released it.
  • Not even contestable and probably 15+ yards off target

fromm1.JPG

fromm2.JPG

• Like 1

• DL is running a stunt and probably not picked up the best, but there is a ton of pocket to work with.
  • 17 twists around the edge
  • Bo probably could have stepped up better and be shielded by Hamm and been able to throw off a better base.
  • Bo does make the right read and throws to Kobe before he's out of his break between defenders
  • Bo skips the ball in b/c he's throwing off a bad base do to poor pocket awareness.
  • Kobe is wide open at the end of the play and in position to make a good gain and a bit score if he makes 1 guy miss.  But incompletion

pocket1.JPG

pocket2.JPG

pocket3.JPG

pocket4.JPG

• Like 2

Just like the handful of drops that happen, these are only a few moments in a game...but like the drops better execution from the QB and a few are possibly momentum changers. 

• We get 7 vs 3 on our opening drive.
  • We are in the Red Zone w/ a FG at a minimum in a 10-7 game vs a quick possession, punting, and them taking the following possession 91 yards for a TD.
  • We're in the Red Zone with 9 minutes left down 20-28 and get a FG at a minimum

There was a deep pass down the left sideline, I think to DRob.  Some ppl disagree if it was catchable.  I can't find that play on the play by play so don't know where to look on the SkyCast.  I would have done that one too.

Bo's top 1 or 2 negative has been his inability to throw down field accurately.  These are a few plays to show it off.   He's got to at least make these ball contestable.  Finley has a much better deep ball than Bo, but has said he struggled too much with the rush.  I don't think the pocket was that bad vs PSU and they were supposed to have a pretty good DL. 

Don't know if Bo has done enough to lose his job and I thought if we were doing really bad he might get benched 2nd half of the PSU game, but he made it through and was pretty much average.  I don't know if TJ is the answer this year, he's still young. Tr Fr/Tr Soph I can give Bo a pass, but still be annoyed with him.  He needs to start taking steps forward.  It's time.  I had hoped he would improve this offseason.  He looks better in the pocket, but it's marginal at best.

• Like 2

After seeing this I will have to change my opinion on Bo. While he didn't hurt us as the two almost INT's did not happen he had some open shots that would have had a major impact if he had made good throws, that would have changed the game. Then some good throws he did make were not caught. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

After seeing this I will have to change my opinion on Bo. While he didn't hurt us as the two almost INT's did not happen he had some open shots that would have had a major impact if he had made good throws, that would have changed the game. Then some good throws he did make were not caught. 

I think there is ample valid criticism on both Bo and the receivers. 

What was the 2nd almost pick?

There was one in the 1st half and then the one in the second half where he almost caught it multiple times.

Consistency is our biggest challenge in the passing game.   Hopefully we see week in and week out improvement.  Each week should be an improvement in the learning of the passing offense and game speed.  The complexity of what they have done and what they are doing now is night and day.  I think that it shows in the lack of reps for some of the younger receivers who have to do more than just run one route.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Good stuff @W.E.D. The visual help for sure, especially from the skycam. Videos would be ideal, but beggars can't be choosers, lol.

They're in zone in all 3.

1st play, the check down in the middle would have been the best decision on 2nd and 11.

2nd play, looks like Bo influenced the safety with his eyes, but then missed terribly on his throw. Yuck. A chance for him to run on 3rd down even tho the Mike is spying.

3rd play, he locked on trying to convert 3rd and 17. Slide to the left and dump off to Tank and let him go to work. Bro Hamm looks like he teleported. 

• Like 1

I noticed the first example at the beginning of the game and realized he should have been throwing to the right side of

the end zone (the E in STATE). That area was completely undefended and this was a chance for a TD if D.Rob makes the catch.

Instead the receiver was led back toward the defender closer to the middle of the end zone. If you watch the video you can see

D.Rob trying to dive under the defender to make a play on the ball. If that ball is thrown to the right side of the end zone the defender

would not have been close to D.Rob or the ball.

I sat there wondering, "What was that, was the ball supposed to go the middle of the end zone, why throw it there"?

The play sure looked like a straight go route down the sideline but maybe it wasn't. I just don't know.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to WR and TEs aren't creating separation
1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

What's the point if changing the thread title @WarTiger ??

Thanks for the analysis man. This is really good stuff. I'd like to hear his explanation as well. Very odd of him. You're analysis clearly shows that guys were getting separation 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, au302 said:

Thanks for the analysis man. This is really good stuff. I'd like to hear his explanation as well. Very odd of him. You're analysis clearly shows that guys were getting separation 

Yeah, it's not like it was derogatory or negative in some way. Not sure the point 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, it's not like it was derogatory or negative in some way. Not sure the point 

Be better if it was more along the lines of "Let me pontificate about what actually happened." 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9523d6134fc9958bd149

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

I noticed the first example at the beginning of the game and realized he should have been throwing to the right side of

the end zone (the E in STATE). That area was completely undefended and this was a chance for a TD if D.Rob makes the catch.

Instead the receiver was led back toward the defender closer to the middle of the end zone. If you watch the video you can see

D.Rob trying to dive under the defender to make a play on the ball. If that ball is thrown to the right side of the end zone the defender

would not have been close to D.Rob or the ball.

I sat there wondering, "What was that, was the ball supposed to go the middle of the end zone, why throw it there"?

The play sure looked like a straight go route down the sideline but maybe it wasn't. I just don't know.

1st drive, D Rob had his man beat almost from the get go. Ball needs to hit him in the hands down the sideline at the goal line. easy 6 pts. Nix panics because 17 is bearing down on him and just heaves it. ball is way left and way way long.

The second D Rob miss on the left side, I ve watched it over and over and still don'e know if it was catchable or not, although I'm leaning "not".  Again he's got his man beat. If Nix just makes the throw, 6 pts. There was no need to intentionally throw to the outside there.(which I doubt was the case.)

28 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

and over and still don'e know if it was catchable or not, although I'm leaning "not".  Again he's got his man beat. If Nix just makes the throw, 6 pts. There was no need to intentionally throw to the outside there.(which I doubt was the case.)

When was this play? Tried to find it on the drive chart but couldn't it

There was 2 different times D Rob had his guy best for a TD and Bo just missed them. In football there’s only a few plays that decides a game, those might’ve been it

• Like 3

Just now, Sizzle said:

There was 2 different times D Rob had his guy best for a TD and Bo just missed them. In football there’s only a few plays that decides a game, those might’ve been it

That's my point as far as the switch QB thing.....if psu miss one of the big plays to their tight end they probably don't win. It's that important. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

When was this play? Tried to find it on the drive chart but couldn't it

10:30 in the 1st quarter and 5:07 in the 4th.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah I wanted to try to get picks of that 2nd pass down the left side, but IDK where it was during the game and didn't see an obvious "Incomplete to DRob" in the play by play.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's my point as far as the switch QB thing.....if psu miss one of the big plays to their tight end they probably don't win. It's that important. 

We agree on missing deep balls and those are game changing plays, as I mentioned above.  They've got to be contestable at a minimum and they aren't.

The OL doesn't seem as bad as scrimmage and practice reports made it out to be & one reason why Bo won the job b/c his mobility vs TJ.  Feel like he's got to be horrible to lose his job and he just hasn't been anything worse than average.  Posted before that TJ had a chance to play in the 2nd half vs PSU if Bo was really bad, but I'm not sure we ever got to that point like UF in 2019 and the game never out of hand.

We'll smoke GSU and hopefully TJ gets a full half and they let him throw it 15-20 times.  I don't care if their defense is like air, keep developing that #2.  We've got another road game in 2 weeks vs a down opponent.  If he's at 55% again at half time with a few key wide open misses, I the rumblings are going to be loud by the fans and I wouldn't be shocked to see TJ enter the game.  But I also feel like Harsin/Bobo are dug in with Nix and believe he can be their guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah I wanted to try to get picks of that 2nd pass down the left side, but IDK where it was during the game and didn't see an obvious "Incomplete to DRob" in the play by play.

3 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

😬😬

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Ok, thanks.

That one is tough to tell.  DRob got tangled up with his WR and was late getting his head around and never saw the ball.  The ball essentially landed in stride with him on pilon/sideline.  I think DRob could have adjusted to and made a play on it if he could have located the ball.  It would have been a tiptoe catch down the sideline.  If DRob ran the right route and was supposed to be 3-5 yards inside the sideline, Bo pushed it a little bit.

It definately wasn't as bad of a throw as the throw to Fromm and the 1st throw to DRob.  It could have been contestable if the WR saw the ball

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We agree on missing deep balls and those are game changing plays, as I mentioned above.  They've got to be contestable at a minimum and they aren't.

The OL doesn't seem as bad as scrimmage and practice reports made it out to be & one reason why Bo won the job b/c his mobility vs TJ.  Feel like he's got to be horrible to lose his job and he just hasn't been anything worse than average.  Posted before that TJ had a chance to play in the 2nd half vs PSU if Bo was really bad, but I'm not sure we ever got to that point like UF in 2019 and the game never out of hand.

We'll smoke GSU and hopefully TJ gets a full half and they let him throw it 15-20 times.  I don't care if their defense is like air, keep developing that #2.  We've got another road game in 2 weeks vs a down opponent.  If he's at 55% again at half time with a few key wide open misses, I the rumblings are going to be loud by the fans and I wouldn't be shocked to see TJ enter the game.  But I also feel like Harsin/Bobo are dug in with Nix and believe he can be their guy.

Replacing Bo really hasn't crossed my mind. I guess because I don't know about Finley either. To be honest Bo really has to fix the deep ball stuff because I don't know what we will do if he can't. I wish we had a back up that was already established and we would just get DD ready