Brother Oliver and Defensive Questions

TuscaloosaTiger

In watching the PSU game and our inability to rush the passer, plus their TEs running wild in our secondary, I thought back to Brother Oliver and his 11-man defensive front and whether we would have been much worse off running that here-we-come defense in some situations than the bend but not break defense we ran.  Can someone remind me why when he was the interim coach Brother Oliver was not hired?  I don't recall the reasons.

Would Truesdale, Big Cat, and Newkirk have been starters over our current defensive front and do you think our pass rush would have been any better with them on SAT night?

9 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Would Truesdale, Big Cat, and Newkirk have been starters over our current defensive front and do you think our pass rush would have been any better with them on SAT night?

No. Simple answer. 

I don't recall seeing much of Romello Height in the game. Saw a lot of Leota, Hall, and Moultry. Did anyone else see Rome?

9 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

In watching the PSU game and our inability to rush the passer, plus their TEs running wild in our secondary, I thought back to Brother Oliver and his 11-man defensive front and whether we would have been much worse off running that here-we-come defense in some situations than the bend but not break defense we ran.  Can someone remind me why when he was the interim coach Brother Oliver was not hired?  I don't recall the reasons.

Not sure about Big Cat, but I think Truesdale and Newkirk would have started. Not sure how much better pass rush would have been. Looks as if many times we only had 3 rushing

27 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Yes they would have and if not started they would be great help but we are where we were so we have to run with what we got!

• Like 1

Just speculation, but BO not being hired as HC probably came down to trust from the old ‘Auburn guard’.  Shug Jordan gave Oliver his first full-time position back in the 60’s. The rumor was he had too much Bama in him and was signaling plays to the Bama sideline. None of that is proven, but the rumor did make the rounds.  

Edited by Swamp Eagle

4 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Undoubtedly yes and yes. 

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Undoubtedly yes and yes. 

Not with Big Cat he has yet to touch the QB this year.....zero sacks as a matter of fact ucf has yet to record a sack even against Bethune–Cookman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Not with Big Cat he has yet to touch the QB this year.....zero sacks as a matter of fact ucf has yet to record a sack even against Bethune–Cookman

I thought by highlighting Truesdale & Newkirk I emphasized they would be starters on this team and would likely help our dismal pass rush.  Big Cat made the best decision for himself and he's right where he needs to be. 

• Like 1

I don't think any of those guys would be starting, and I think that is one of the reasons they left, if not the main reason. We really upgraded the DT position. Last year our pass rush was weak, but so was our run defense. Our tackles this year are at least good against the run.   For all the criticism of the offense last year, Steele's defense was subpar and our biggest problem. We couldn't get stop anybody on 3rd down.

I have to say the biggest surprise to me in the Penn State game was the pass rush or the lack of a pass rush.  I'm still convinced we have some real talent at defensive end, but it sure didn't show up on Saturday. I have to criticize Mason for not making adjustments and dialing up blitzes and stunts and I hope I never see a 3 man rush again. I pretty much hate our defensive scheme. We are playing prevent defense all game long. But regardless of scheme, our defensive ends didn't show up and if that doesn't change it's going to be a long season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

I have to say the biggest surprise to me in the Penn State game was the pass rush or the lack of a pass rush.  

I hope never again to see AU rush three and give the opposing QB around 8 full seconds unmolested to find an open receiver.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

That and whatever zone coverage Mason is trying to run ain’t working.  They need to man up the way Steele had them playing and find someone to get after the QB.  

I am(was) hoping to see some twists or stunts with our line....we try too much of a 'bull rush', it seems that has been our M.O. over the past several years.....I don't see our guys trying to use the 'swim' technique with their man...

• Like 1