2022 Recruits to Watch

Zeek

8 hours ago, au302 said:

So if we do take a step backwards, are you going to be calling for a coaching change?

Not at all, but I will be disappointed. I think, personnel-wise, we'll be in worse shape next season than we are this time. While the transfer portal could change that, the portal is a two-way street that's unpredictable. I saw this 2021 season as a one time opportunity to post some big wins, put a solid floor under recruiting and provide something to point to. It's not too late for that to happen, but losing the PSU game took up a lot of whatever slack we had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's the point

Nonsense.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Exactly...... 

Nonsense.

My offer still stands. Quote one post of mine in which I said I hope Harsin fails. I've been waiting for one of the others who made this claim to reply but all they've done is slink away.

Note to the intellectually impaired: Appreciating the many good things Coach Malzahn did in his time here does not mean one wants the new staff to fail. Anyone who gained admission to Auburn University should be able to grasp that.

• Like 1

Didn't take long for this thread to get hijacked.

I thought it was supposed to be about the recruits and who Auburn is prioritizing.

I'm sure there are threads on the football forum where this talk is regurgitated over and over.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Take the 7-5 or 8-4. Now subtract the three gimme games that we didn't play last year. That gives us 4-5 or 5-5. Yes, that's a step backwards from last year.

I understand that there was a coaching change. I also understand that a lot of the pieces for success are in place. With the exception of WR, Harsin inherited a veteran team. The dissension in the coaching ranks that we had last year should be gone and that counts for something. I didn't expect miracles but I did hope for/expect some modest improvement and at the very least not do worse.

I would have hoped for/expected 9-3 or better from the previous staff, for the same reasons. Throw out the gimme games and the resulting 6-3 is only marginally better than last year's 6-4.

Ok, lets take your 6 games you think we should win as an improvement from last year.

1. Penn St (away)- you expected us in our first road game, in a very large stadium, with an improved AND veteran Penn St team as a win? And just bc we had a new staff coming in? 

2. LSU(away)- we NEVER do well in Death Valley, and you think it's a strong case to win there this year? Yes, LSU is not the same team from 2 years, but they are ALSO not the same team from last year. I can see toss-up, but man we have to extract those demons of all those losses we had down there before.

3. TaM-( away)- Yes, they have a new QB, and they could be a win, but again I see a toss-up,only bc of that. 

4. OM/MSU/Ark- I can see us winning those games, but OM is going to be tough bc of their High powered offense.

5. SC(away)- I can see a win there, JUST bc Gus is not coaching our offense anymore. 

So you are banking on this team to beat  2 of these 3 team right? (Penn St, LSU, and TaM) ON THE ROAD, bc you think we should be that much better? 

That does not compute. I still see us with 7 wins, maybe 8, with an upset. That still is progress.

Anything less than 9-3 is not a disappointment with THIS schedule.

We are NOT the only teams that improved from last year. 

On 9/22/2021 at 9:55 AM, Zeek said:

I know the main recruiting thread is a little bogged down right now so here is an update on the players I have recently seen mentioned or discussed in terms of interest/Auburn pursuing. While I don't know every single player we are targeting it has become clear the following are priorities at least to some extent.

• 4* IOL Antavious Woody - committed to FSU
  • 4* OT Malik Agbo - from Washington will be officially visiting
  • 3* OT Eston Harris Jr. - released a top 2 of Florida and Auburn... I don't think Florida is in it all that much
  • 3* C Drew Bobo - can play all 5 positions down to UGA/AU with AU having the crystal ball edge
  • NR CB Keionte Scott - JUCO player from Snow College out in California
  • 4* WR Darrius Clemons - dragging it out more than I expected but I still very comfortable here
  • 4* WR Antonio Williams - SCar and Ole Miss are also factors
  • JUCO S - Juwon Gaston
  • JUCO OT - Tyrone Webber - moved his commitment date back which is good for us but we need to get him on campus
  • 4* CB - Austin Ausberry - LSU legacy but is OV'ing Auburn and our staff feels he's more open than others think
  • 4* OT - Riley Quick - Bama Baseball commit
  • 4* DL - Zane Durant - Penn State commit
  • 3* WR Kaleb Webb - ECU commit
  • 4* LB Robert Woodyard - Bama commit

A couple notes....

Woody plans to be at AU for the GSU game this Saturday. Also appears to be lining up and Official later down the road. Progress

E. Harris also plans on attending the game this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Ok, lets take your 6 games you think we should win as an improvement from last year.

1. Penn St (away)- you expected us in our first road game, in a very large stadium, with an improved AND veteran Penn St team as a win? And just bc we had a new staff coming in? 

2. LSU(away)- we NEVER do well in Death Valley, and you think it's a strong case to win there this year? Yes, LSU is not the same team from 2 years, but they are ALSO not the same team from last year. I can see toss-up, but man we have to extract those demons of all those losses we had down there before.

3. TaM-( away)- Yes, they have a new QB, and they could be a win, but again I see a toss-up,only bc of that. 

4. OM/MSU/Ark- I can see us winning those games, but OM is going to be tough bc of their High powered offense.

5. SC(away)- I can see a win there, JUST bc Gus is not coaching our offense anymore. 

So you are banking on this team to beat  2 of these 3 team right? (Penn St, LSU, and TaM) ON THE ROAD, bc you think we should be that much better? 

That does not compute. I still see us with 7 wins, maybe 8, with an upset. That still is progress.

Anything less than 9-3 is not a disappointment with THIS schedule.

LSU got dominated by a UCLA team that lost to Fresno State (scored a garbage TD late). Thus far they are showing zero indication of being any different from last year.

But yes, this year and next year let’s just reach a bowl (aka six wins, I know 5-7 bowl teams happen but that should not count) and win one between them. 2023 is go time—nine wins, no excuses.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, steeleagle said:

They shouldn't have improved more than Auburn did.

We have to win more than a few of these big games if the recruiting is to be adequate. Going 6-3 in the nine big games when the team was 6-4 last year shouldn't be that daunting.

5-star USC commit visiting Auburn

by Keith Niebuhr

19 hours ago

After Southern California's recent firing of coach Clay Helton, 5-star Trojans defensive line commit Mykel Williams of Columbus (Ga.) Hardaway has started to visit other schools. Last week he was at Florida. And now, the touted recruit is checking out another SEC school.

Williams told Auburn Undercover he is visiting Auburn on Saturday to watch the Tigers face Georgia State at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports has now confirmed that Williams made it to the game.

Up to now, Williams, the No. 29 recruit in the country for the industry generated 247Sports Composite, hasn't shown Auburn a whole lot of love. Could that be about to change?

Hopefully, we'll have more info in the coming days.

At this time, the Tigers have just one defensive lineman committed. That's 4-star prospect Caden Story of Lanett (Ala.).

Here is 247Sports' evaluation of Williams: A scheme-versatile big man with a projectable frame and one of the longest verified reaches out of any blue-chip prospect in the class of 2022. Carries 265 pounds almost like it’s 245 pounds. Could get up to 280 pounds or more once eating at a college training table, if desired. The type of defensive lineman that just finds ways to impact games. Gets downhill in a hurry and doesn’t waste many – if any – steps. Ability to move laterally allows him to cross the face of blockers and work his way up and down the line scrimmage. More than capable of muscling his way through contact and into the backfield with his above-average play strength, at least at the high school level. Doesn’t give up on many plays and frequently makes stops outside of the hashes. Has learned a few pass-rushing moves, but could always expand the menu. Elite testing numbers also suggest that he could find a little more juice when it counts. Produced as a sophomore and then again as a junior totaling a combined 39 tackles for loss and 29 sacks those two seasons. Has been utilized here and there as a stand-up edge player, but likely to settle in as a three or five-technique in college. Far from a complete product, but has a chance to develop into an all-conference type of player at the Power 5 level that makes things difficult for opposing quarterbacks given his reach. NFL upside.

• Love 1

JUCO DB Marquise Gilbert sets official visit to Auburn

Jeffrey Lee

Marquise Gilbert has two official visits set: Auburn Oct. 29-31 and Tennessee Nov. 12-14. (Photo: The Hutchinson News)

Marquise Gilbert, one of the top junior college defensive backs in the 2022 class, has scheduled an official visit to Auburn.

Gilbert, a redshirt freshman at Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College, will visit Auburn the last weekend of October. Auburn hosts Ole Miss on Oct. 30.

“I can’t wait,” Gilbert said. “It feels great. I’m excited. I’m looking forward to seeing what they have to offer, getting a feel for the atmosphere, as well as the coaches.”

Marquise Gilbert building bonds

Gilbert already is somewhat familiar with a few of the coaches. He’s spoken with defensive coordinator/safeties coach Derek Mason, recruiting director Darren Uscher and coordinator of player relations Trovon Reed.

“I talk to Coach Reed and Coach Mason the most,” Gilbert said. “Coach Reed is a great guy, a great dude. He reaches out to me or I reach out to him at least twice a week. We definitely keep in contact. He’s just a very good dude.

“And Coach Mason, I really like him, too. I can tell he’s about his business. I can tell what he’s telling me that he’s not just saying it to say it. I’m really looking forward to meeting him in person, sitting down and talking to him for a while.”

Looking hard at 2 SEC programs

Gilbert has offers from Auburn, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Indiana, Colorado and Hawaii, among others.

The two SEC schools, however, are standing out.

“It’s mainly Auburn and Tennessee right now,” Gilbert said. “I might take an official visit to Oklahoma State, but I haven’t set a date.”

Gilbert has an official visit to Tennessee set for Nov. 12-14.

In seven games last season, Gilbert had 12 tackles, five pass breakups and two interceptions, one he returned for a touchdown.

Gilbert, who is 6-foot-2.5 and 181 pounds, is on pace to graduate in December with three years of eligibility.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2021 at 11:21 PM, Paladin said:

It'd be a shame if Deuce doesn't rock #22 (since #2 is retired obviously) 🙊

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

It'd be a shame if Deuce doesn't rock #22 (since #2 is retired obviously) 🙊

Michigan 

On 9/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, Paladin said:

5-star USC commit visiting Auburn

by Keith Niebuhr

19 hours ago

After Southern California's recent firing of coach Clay Helton, 5-star Trojans defensive line commit Mykel Williams of Columbus (Ga.) Hardaway has started to visit other schools. Last week he was at Florida. And now, the touted recruit is checking out another SEC school.

Williams told Auburn Undercover he is visiting Auburn on Saturday to watch the Tigers face Georgia State at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports has now confirmed that Williams made it to the game.

Up to now, Williams, the No. 29 recruit in the country for the industry generated 247Sports Composite, hasn't shown Auburn a whole lot of love. Could that be about to change?

Hopefully, we'll have more info in the coming days.

At this time, the Tigers have just one defensive lineman committed. That's 4-star prospect Caden Story of Lanett (Ala.).

Here is 247Sports' evaluation of Williams: A scheme-versatile big man with a projectable frame and one of the longest verified reaches out of any blue-chip prospect in the class of 2022. Carries 265 pounds almost like it’s 245 pounds. Could get up to 280 pounds or more once eating at a college training table, if desired. The type of defensive lineman that just finds ways to impact games. Gets downhill in a hurry and doesn’t waste many – if any – steps. Ability to move laterally allows him to cross the face of blockers and work his way up and down the line scrimmage. More than capable of muscling his way through contact and into the backfield with his above-average play strength, at least at the high school level. Doesn’t give up on many plays and frequently makes stops outside of the hashes. Has learned a few pass-rushing moves, but could always expand the menu. Elite testing numbers also suggest that he could find a little more juice when it counts. Produced as a sophomore and then again as a junior totaling a combined 39 tackles for loss and 29 sacks those two seasons. Has been utilized here and there as a stand-up edge player, but likely to settle in as a three or five-technique in college. Far from a complete product, but has a chance to develop into an all-conference type of player at the Power 5 level that makes things difficult for opposing quarterbacks given his reach. NFL upside.

Flipping this kid would be fantastic, not sure if we can but it would open the Columbus, Ga pipeline and he is a stud at a position of need. I hoped he watched the LSU game.

Guest MustardSeed
6 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Been hard to get a read on this staffs overall recruiting prowess, but 15 players 4 star or higher in one weekend is pretty big for a first year staff I would think.  Here’s hoping some of these guys hit it off together and decide to join the good guys!

Edited by MustardSeed

On 9/24/2021 at 9:31 AM, Mikey said:

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

My offer still stands. Quote one post of mine in which I said I hope Harsin fails. I've been waiting for one of the others who made this claim to reply but all they've done is slink away.

Note to the intellectually impaired: Appreciating the many good things Coach Malzahn did in his time here does not mean one wants the new staff to fail. Anyone who gained admission to Auburn University should be able to grasp that.

Being determined to post only/ mostly negatives about new coaching staff absolutely implies you want them to fail.

• Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed
12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

We gotta put on a show

So I know that’s premium content, but is it public knowledge yet who it is?

Guest MustardSeed

Monday it had gone up to 20 4/5 stars this weekend. Now it seems we’ve maybe added two more so it may be 22 that we know of

6AEE4313-D376-41A5-A26D-2E5F59EDA25E.png

30F3EAAB-5BA5-4706-BA46-854FC23ED163.png