Open Club  ·  24 members

AU Foodies

Recipes

fredst

On 10/1/2021 at 6:13 PM, cbo said:

I swear I'm going to try every recipe in this thread. @Tiger RefugeI love the idea for redneck tzatziki. I've tried to make tzatziki a couple times with cucumber and it was a mess. Greek food is great and pretty easy to make at home, but it's not the same without tzatziki. 

Dude. It’s soooooo easy. The Greek yogurt and the ranch are great together. I like the added dill for a little extra kick.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:13 PM, cbo said:

I swear I'm going to try every recipe in this thread. @Tiger RefugeI love the idea for redneck tzatziki. I've tried to make tzatziki a couple times with cucumber and it was a mess. Greek food is great and pretty easy to make at home, but it's not the same without tzatziki. 

I finally learned you gotta dry the cucumber a little with a paper towel or something. I shred mine on a cheese grater directly onto a towel. You lose a little flavor but keeps the sauce cleaner. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I finally learned you gotta dry the cucumber a little with a paper towel or something. I shred mine on a cheese grater directly onto a towel. You lose a little flavor but keeps the sauce cleaner. 

I tried that one time

But the tzatziki still sucked

Maybe I just suck

"Sad Tzatziki Haiku" by Cbo

• Haha 4

Gonna try this, probably tomorrow. Have almost all the stuff in the house already and it sounds right up my alley. All the talk of Greek food might have gotten my taste buds craving highly seasoned lemony carbs. Might add some some oregano, too. 

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemon-chicken-with-orzo/

• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1-1/4 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
  • 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
  • Lemon wedges, optional

Directions

1. In a shallow bowl, mix flour and garlic powder. Cut chicken into 1-1/2-in. pieces; pound each with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dip both sides of chicken in flour mixture to coat lightly; shake off excess.
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe skillet clean.
  3. In same pan, bring broth to a boil; stir in orzo. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, lemon juice, basil and remaining salt; remove from heat. Return chicken to pan. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 7:44 AM, McLoofus said:

Gonna try this, probably tomorrow. Have almost all the stuff in the house already and it sounds right up my alley. All the talk of Greek food might have gotten my taste buds craving highly seasoned lemony carbs. Might add some some oregano, too. 

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemon-chicken-with-orzo/

• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1-1/4 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
  • 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
  • Lemon wedges, optional

Directions

1. In a shallow bowl, mix flour and garlic powder. Cut chicken into 1-1/2-in. pieces; pound each with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dip both sides of chicken in flour mixture to coat lightly; shake off excess.
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe skillet clean.
  3. In same pan, bring broth to a boil; stir in orzo. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, lemon juice, basil and remaining salt; remove from heat. Return chicken to pan. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.

Sounds like a can't-miss. Have you made it? Does this now belong in "What's for Dinner?"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cbo said:

Sounds like a can't-miss. Have you made it? Does this now belong in "What's for Dinner?"

Dude, too funny. I just made it and was coming here to report and actually wondered same...

Freaking great meal. I stayed uncharacteristically faithful to the recipe and it was bangin. Big, simple, clean flavors.  Would be special in the summer with really good tomatoes. You could definitely add some more Mediterranean/Italian ingredients- olives, feta, etc. And in the big cast iron pan it made a really nice presentation at the table to serve family style. Probably 45 minutes start to finish. It helps that there's some passive cook time that allows you to chop the veggies, which don't go in until the end. Highly recommend. 

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, too funny. I just made it and was coming here to report and actually wondered same...

Freaking great meal. I stayed uncharacteristically faithful to the recipe and it was bangin. Big, simple, clean flavors.  Would be special in the summer with really good tomatoes. You could definitely add some more Mediterranean/Italian ingredients- olives, feta, etc. And in the big cast iron pan it made a really nice presentation at the table to serve family style. Probably 45 minutes start to finish. It helps that there's some passive cook time that allows you to chop the veggies, which don't go in until the end. Highly recommend. 

Awesome, Loof. Sounds amazing. I have added to my list. 

Maybe I should now say that I despise olives? Hope this isn't like the IPA thing in the other club. I swear I'm not picky, generally speaking. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, cbo said:

Awesome, Loof. Sounds amazing. I have added to my list. 

Maybe I should now say that I despise olives? Hope this isn't like the IPA thing in the other club. I swear I'm not picky, generally speaking. 

There are gastronomic hills I will die on, but olives ain't one of them. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 10:04 PM, cbo said:

Maybe I should now say that I despise olives?

Man…..you are soooooo lucky that I’m not the owner of this club….

• Haha 3

Balls. All the balls. They were delicious.

1.) Melon/grapes, sausage cheese, motz/tomato.

2.) Turkey/Swedish

3.) Pork boudin

4.) cheesy potato and sweet potato.

5.) Buckeyes, rum

F18D3734-26AC-46A8-9C5D-5BEA6BAD99C7.thumb.jpeg.fd77b54ef5f9d4293b8fee832e3f43da.jpeg

566E5DF7-11CE-4D44-80EB-07A159935392.jpeg

E8CAF3C8-5960-48FA-AB46-615063C28AC3.jpeg

619CF373-C566-426F-BBB7-E8F7162D2FF4.jpeg

155EF89A-DFC5-4C1A-9AC8-8AF80E4753FA.jpeg

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

2.) Turkey/Swedish

3.) Pork boudin

5.) Buckeyes, rum

F18D3734-26AC-46A8-9C5D-5BEA6BAD99C7.thumb.jpeg.fd77b54ef5f9d4293b8fee832e3f43da.jpeg

My gosh, your balls are beautiful. 

• Love 1

On 10/11/2021 at 8:08 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

2.) Turkey/Swedish

3.) Pork boudin

5.) Buckeyes, rum

That all looks amazing. But I think I specifically need to know how you did the cheesy potato balls. 

Note: I did not make any balls jokes. 

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, cbo said:

That all looks amazing. But I think I specifically need to know how you did the cheesy potato balls. 

Note: I did not make any balls jokes. 

Dude. So I can’t claim those. However, they were essentially mashed potatoes mixed with shredded cheddar and seasonings. Rolled in browned panko and baked.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dude. So I can’t claim those. However, they were essentially mashed potatoes mixed with shredded cheddar and seasonings. Rolled in browned panko and baked.

Well, that's just smart. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Well, that's just smart. 

We were all in ball mode and were needing a tater/starch ball. I’m pretty sure we both googled a quickly recipe. Ours was basically the first sweet potato ball recipe that came up. We added a bit of kosher salt and garlic powder to our mash to help it along flavor wise. Turned out great!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

We were all in ball mode and were needing a tater/starch ball. I’m pretty sure we both googled a quickly recipe. Ours was basically the first sweet potato ball recipe that came up. We added a bit of kosher salt and garlic powder to our mash to help it along flavor wise. Turned out great!

That sounds great. I have enjoyed potatoes in so many forms. Why not ball form? Will fix soon. 

On 10/16/2021 at 6:49 PM, Grumps said:

All of that looks awesome!!! What was your favorite?

Is that lingonberry jam with your Swedish meatballs?

I was partial to the boudin balls myself.

And good eye on the jam!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

@McLoofus your salmon recipe has been a straight up hit here at the house. Served it again tonight with jasmine rice cooked with aromatics, badass bagged kale salad with poppyseed and edamame.

Nice! Soooo easy, too. We had it again the other night with mashed sweet potatoes and an "Asian Caesar" salad. The salad was ass but the rest was good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Nice! Soooo easy, too. We had it again the other night with mashed sweet potatoes and an "Asian Caesar" salad. The salad was ass but the rest was good.

Ridiculously easy. I bought a whole salmon filet and cooked the entire thing in 7 pieces. Gone.

• Love 1

Here’s a good one that we use frequently. WSJ does an easy recipe in each Saturday edition, where this came from. This one is very easy and with a simple green salad covers all of the bases in probably 30 minutes or less. Basically a bolognese pasta. Seems we are more often using penne pasta. The pepper varies but a jalapeño for slight heat or a poblano for just delicious pepper flavor work, no need for anything too exotic. The sausage is an easy choice: Conecuh, of course 😀(I know that the many virtues of Conecuh sausage have been extolled on here before). Had this for dinner this week (twice with leftovers, lol) so I guess it could have gone on a couple of threads…

FEC4CCFF-F260-4DD7-986B-680DA8A41D2D.jpeg

Edited by fredst
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a restaurant quality meal, I highly recommend this pork tenderloin meal. I've made it several times with always great results. My adult daughters make this a routine request for family vacations (because we tend to get a house at beach or lake and cook the dinner meal). the only real time intensive hands on parts are making the honey bourbon sauce and doing the finishing in the skillet. I've done it with the pimento cheese grits and with mashed potatoes.Works with either. Nice Pinot Noir goes well with it to me

https://www.thecookierookie.com/sweet-tea-pork-tenderloin-recipe/

12 hours ago, akillshot said:

For a restaurant quality meal, I highly recommend this pork tenderloin meal. I've made it several times with always great results. My adult daughters make this a routine request for family vacations (because we tend to get a house at beach or lake and cook the dinner meal). the only real time intensive hands on parts are making the honey bourbon sauce and doing the finishing in the skillet. I've done it with the pimento cheese grits and with mashed potatoes.Works with either. Nice Pinot Noir goes well with it to me

https://www.thecookierookie.com/sweet-tea-pork-tenderloin-recipe/

Looks fantastic. What kind of tea do you use? Think Milo's would work?

Always love the wine pairing recs from you. Don't worry, I won't say that every time. In fact, the next time I say it will be when you *don't* include a wine pairing, lol.

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Looks fantastic. What kind of tea do you use? Think Milo's would work?

Always love the wine pairing recs from you. Don't worry, I won't say that every time. In fact, the next time I say it will be when you *don't* include a wine pairing, lol.

My wife usually brews tea for me. I like tea but we don't usually have tea around because I'd rather get my calories from other liquids. However, she does a gallon so I get to drink what doesn't go in the recipe.

Milo's would work, no problem.

I do love glass(es) of wine

• Thanks 1