Open Club  ·  24 members

AU Foodies

Recipes

fredst

15 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Get the chilis. Do NOT use prebought powder. Holy cow, what a difference!

100%. Made it last week. Got a great cut of chuck roast from the farmer’s market for cheap too. 2.5lbs for $19. 

F8jXPJd.jpg

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

@Tiger RefugeI think I wanna try making gumbo for the super bowl. Do you have a recipe you like to use?

Anyone else can chime in, but I figured I’d defer to the resident Cajun. 

So funny, was just thinking same. My last batch was fire but I think I can do better. 

Also, I'm so pissed that I didn't realize you weren't in here. That's my B!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

@Tiger RefugeI think I wanna try making gumbo for the super bowl. Do you have a recipe you like to use?

Anyone else can chime in, but I figured I’d defer to the resident Cajun. 

You know, I’m ashamed to admit that I don’t have a go to gumbo recipe. Now, I do have a black iron pot shrimp stew recipe that is amazing. Lemme dig some.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

His Alfredo recipe (also from the Office) is great and simple. I’ll never eat jarred Alfredo again. 

https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/fettuccine-alfredo-the-office?format=amp

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So funny, was just thinking same. My last batch was fire but I think I can do better. 

Also, I'm so pissed that I didn't realize you weren't in here. That's my B!

I’ve never made gumbo, worried I’ll **** up the roux and subsequently the meal and evening. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’ve never made gumbo, worried I’ll **** up the roux and subsequently the meal and evening. 

Don’t be scared of that roux. It just takes a little patience. I made one for several years for a crawfish fettuccine recipe before I realized I wasn’t cooking it long enough to really bring out the flavor. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

His Alfredo recipe (also from the Office) is great and simple. I’ll never eat jarred Alfredo again. 

https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/fettuccine-alfredo-the-office?format=amp

Spot on man. Homemade Alfredo is legit easy and really, REALLY tasty. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I was here...

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Don’t be scared of that roux. It just takes a little patience. I made one for several years for a crawfish fettuccine recipe before I realized I wasn’t cooking it long enough to really bring out the flavor. 

...and then I was here. 

It doesn't take experience or skill, IMO. Just, like Refuge says, patience. Very much an enjoy the process deal. Have a beer, put on some tunes, use that time to dice the other ingredients, etc. 

• Love 2

Just now, McLoofus said:

I was here...

...and then I was here. 

It doesn't take experience or skill, IMO. Just, like Refuge says, patience. Very much an enjoy the process deal. Have a beer, put on some tunes, use that time to dice the other ingredients, etc. 

or three….👀

Yeah, I was so afraid of burning it that I literally never let the roux settle while stirring. Finally figured out you gotta let it rest a little bit….but keep stirring.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the roux, try doing it in the microwave. Sounds like a weird concept but I ran across it in some recipe and it's been a good trick for me. You can just doing short increments to get it as dark as needed. Google it for more info.  I've also baked the flour in the oven to brown it to reduce the amount of oil used. However, that method does not provide as dark a roux as the microwave (it is healthier though).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, akillshot said:

For the roux, try doing it in the microwave. Sounds like a weird concept but I ran across it in some recipe and it's been a good trick for me. You can just doing short increments to get it as dark as needed. Google it for more info.  I've also baked the flour in the oven to brown it to reduce the amount of oil used. However, that method does not provide as dark a roux as the microwave (it is healthier though).

I've tried the microwave method, also, and it makes great sense to remove the direct heat variable that leads to scorching. But I haven't heard of baking the flour. Genius! 

• 4 weeks later...

Bone-in chicken thighs. Smoked with hickory wood for about 1.5 hours. 
Marinade: one bottle zesty Italian, two cups Worcestershire sauce, crystal hot sauce with garlic, one cup soy sauce (or sub a Japanese teriyaki glaze), green onion, lemon juice. 

Glaze: anything with soy sauce/teriyaki

Rub: combination of basic BBQ rub, slap ya mama, and light brown sugar (go heavy on the brown sugar).

B286DC27-F103-414E-A7FC-21DC6195BB85.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kind of Frankensteine'd (FRAHN-kuhn-shteend) a chorizo meatloaf last night. It came out pretty good.

-1 lb Mexican chorizo
-1 lb ground turkey
-1 lb ground lamb
-2 eggs
-1 diced onion
-Half a cup, maybe, of breadcrumbs?
-1/4 cup Dale's

I think that was it. Mixed that thoroughly by hand and then put it on my smoker. I think it would do fine in the oven. Get it to about 140 internal temp and then pour sauce on. Topped it with a chipotle sweet potato sauce that I got at a healthy eating type restaurant here in Savannah called Clean Eatz, I think it might be a chain. But you can use any sauce you want. I can imagine all kinds of BBQ sauces and salsas would work. Bake with the sauce on there until it gets up to 155. 

I wish I had some green chiles or roasted poblano to put on there but otherwise it came out dyn-o-mite.

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing around with risotto recipes. My first round was shrimp risotto. Turned out more…gloppy/sticky? But the flavor was nice.

te12rQT.jpg

Used Alton Brown’s wild mushroom/asparagus risotto recipe tonight. The risotto was cooked much better, but I preferred the flavor of the shrimp risotto. 

DqNdXRB.jpg

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/wild-mushroom-and-asparagus-risotto-recipe-1916284.amp