I Miss My Dog

ShocksMyBrain

I can’t find the thread, but when I got my beloved Dobby, I made a post about it. He was my first dog. He wasn’t my parent’s dog, he was mine. Dobby was rescued as a stray from a trailer park in Texas, a bait dog. He had scars on his belly, his ears were loaded with ticks. We almost returned him to the rescue because he just couldn’t come around to me, until one day he just wagged his tail, ever so little, and I knew we had to keep him. There was a glimmer of hope in his weird little ****** up brain he had. We developed a bond so strong over the next five years. 

He had developed liver disease over some years unbeknownst to us. It reached a critical condition, and after $2k spent at the ER over 12 hours we were informed that he would have to be put down. 

It’s been 3 weeks, and I still open the door hoping he’s there. I miss the *click clack* of his nails on our hardwood, this home has become a lot quieter. I miss taking a nap and not having him right by my side. I miss my dog. 

6RrE7Oc.jpg
hAsw8HM.jpg
5E3vTtb.jpg
2hT1yEv.jpg
KFfxbDn.jpg
VznWf8J.jpg
hckdHc2.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
  • Sad 2

So sorry to hear this.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

Will Rogers

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Aw, man. Handsome, noble Dobby. You can tell from the pictures that he's a real one. So sorry, buddy. 

One more pal to raise a glass to and pour one out for tonight. 

To Dobby.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/24/2021 at 2:06 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

c6ngdNx.jpg
ZnowN1n.jpgkh0vgd4.jpg

Sorry for your loss man. Best buddies are special. 

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared, shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…

The love I left behind.

– Author Unknown

• Love 2

Know you miss him badly. Had to put our 17 year family pal down a few years ago and still miss him. Mrs Salty and I decided to stay out of the pet business at our point in life. Thankfully we have grand dogs they we board regularly and love dearly. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Know you miss him badly. Had to put our 17 year family pal down a few years ago and still miss him. Mrs Salty and I decided to stay out of the pet business at our point in life. Thankfully we have grand dogs they we board regularly and love dearly. 

17 years is a long time to spend with an animal. I’m so happy that you got to have that time. We feel robbed of our time with ours, we had hoped to watch him grow and turn into a furry little old man.

The absence in our house has been too tremendous. We decided to go check out a rescue event yesterday, and fell in love with another pitbull. If everything checks out like it should with our application, we should be bringing him home tomorrow at the earliest. 

5ol3CZ7.mp4

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

17 years is a long time to spend with an animal. I’m so happy that you got to have that time. We feel robbed of our time with ours, we had hoped to watch him grow and turn into a furry little old man.

The absence in our house has been too tremendous. We decided to go check out a rescue event yesterday, and fell in love with another pitbull. If everything checks out like it should with our application, we should be bringing him home tomorrow at the earliest. 

5ol3CZ7.mp4

One of my sons has two rescue pit bulls. Great dogs! I enjoyed watching us beat Bammer in 2019 with one as my sofa and celebration partner.

• Like 1

Studies have confirmed that losing pets can be even more stressful than losing human friends or family members because humans come with some degree of disappointment whereas pets don't.  They don't let you down, they just love you.

Sorry for your loss.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Studies have confirmed that losing pets can be even more stressful than losing human friends or family members because humans come with some degree of disappointment whereas pets don't.  They don't let you down, they just love you.

Sorry for your loss.

My boy Auggie used to catch squirrels. He was a total badass. Well, in Decatur, GA, one of the best place to walk your dog is in an old cemetery. I would always make sure it was empty and then let him off leash to chase squirrels. Welp, one day it finally happened. He got on one right as this little girl and her mom appeared out of nowhere. Stood there right in front of them and shook that poor squirrel until everything snapped and it was dead. He was SO proud of himself and ran over to get my approval. Instead I yelled at him because the little girl was crying and I felt like a bad dog owner and a bad citizen. But he hadn't let me down. It was the exact opposite. That son of a bitch went out and caught me a squirrel. One of those things I wish so badly I could have a redo on. I never saw that girl or her mom again but Auggie was my dog. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Lost my two boys about 2.5 years ago in very short time frame, one quite unexpectedly. It is so hard losing a dog, my heart goes out. Have read this at the “memorial services” we had for dogs that have passed through the years:

AF9FE96C-6C5D-4355-9953-DD7FDDCE8C39.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• 1 month later...

Haven't ventured into this forum in awhile, so I'm late to respond.  Losing a dog is alway tough.  When I lost mine, a friend sent me this poem:  The Rainbow Bridge

Hope this provides some comfort to @ShocksMyBrain  and anyone else who has lost their pet.  

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really feel for you man.

We have always been partial to to pit bulls (pibbles) and pibble mixes.  Dobby looks like a great dog! 

My wife has always said there is a special place in heaven for people who rescue dogs.  I hope so, because we have rescued dozens of them.

On 9/24/2021 at 1:51 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I can’t find the thread, but when I got my beloved Dobby, I made a post about it. He was my first dog. He wasn’t my parent’s dog, he was mine. Dobby was rescued as a stray from a trailer park in Texas, a bait dog. He had scars on his belly, his ears were loaded with ticks. We almost returned him to the rescue because he just couldn’t come around to me, until one day he just wagged his tail, ever so little, and I knew we had to keep him. There was a glimmer of hope in his weird little ****** up brain he had. We developed a bond so strong over the next five years. 

He had developed liver disease over some years unbeknownst to us. It reached a critical condition, and after $2k spent at the ER over 12 hours we were informed that he would have to be put down. 

It’s been 3 weeks, and I still open the door hoping he’s there. I miss the *click clack* of his nails on our hardwood, this home has become a lot quieter. I miss taking a nap and not having him right by my side. I miss my dog. 

6RrE7Oc.jpg
hAsw8HM.jpg
5E3vTtb.jpg
2hT1yEv.jpg
KFfxbDn.jpg
VznWf8J.jpg
hckdHc2.jpg

i have three rescues and my middle sized one named molly looks identical to your baby etcept she has more white spots on her face. sorry for your loss. i hope when we all pass our fur babies and other pets that have passed will be there to meet us. i have been told dogs are not allowed so the only reasonable explanation is god must be a cat. hope that made you smile.