* Official Auburn vs. Georgia State Game Thread *

abw0004

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, outlaw3197 said:

Lmao no one expected auburn to go undefeated with Bo as QB. But we sure as hell expect not to struggle against a cupcake. Boise St style of play calling and coaching won’t work in the SEC. Gus should have never been fired!

Lol. Cause Malzahn never struggled against lower teams like Mercer and Tulane, right? Or who could forget our amazing overtime win against Jacksonville State in 2015. The problem with this team is we have players that were coached by Malzahn's staff. Nix is a product of Malzahn coaching. That Oline is a product of Malzahn recruiting.

Whether or not Harsin ends up being the right guy for the job, Malzahn should have been fired years ago.

45 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It was Jacksonville State, but the point remains solid

That Jacksonville State team played for an FCS  national championship that year.  This Ga State team is 1-3.

3 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Lol. Cause Malzahn never struggled against lower teams like Mercer and Tulane, right? Or who could forget our amazing overtime win against Jacksonville State in 2015. The problem with this team is we have players that were coached by Malzahn's staff. Nix is a product of Malzahn coaching. That Oline is a product of Malzahn recruiting.

Whether or not Harsin ends up being the right guy for the job, Malzahn should have been fired years ago.

This is nonsense as a take.  This staff has time to redeem itself, but until they win the SEC West, pretending that they have accomplished anything close to what that staff did, even with their faults, is silly.

2 hours ago, AUx said:

Harsin is not one to throw a team member under the bus, especially in front of the world, even if he'd like to. Give him a little benefit of the doubt and credit.

Thankfully, I can't remember an Auburn coach ever doing that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That Jacksonville State team played for an FCS  national championship that year.  This Ga State team is 1-3.

Still comparing FBS vs FCS

1 minute ago, nurbis said:

Taking Malzan out of the equation, the corollary is that Harsin and staff have not had substantial time with the current players to install and achieve a polished offensive and defensive scheme. So if AU walked around the field and nearly lost games (and sometimes did lose games) in the middle of an 8-year run under one coach, then why take up pitchforks and torches against a coach who has had about 9 months and 4 games? But then, I don't have the 10's of $1,000,000's the rest of the folks do on fora who are calling for the guillotines. Yes - should be better. it is fair to criticize poor calling, coaching, and playing. I'm not in the practices. So I don't know how much is position coaches or players. It is certainly encouraging that this coach won't fall on his sword for one player. All things being equal, we're probably looking at a much better transition if Harsin had taken over instead of the most asinine contract extension Leath signed with the prior coach.

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

This is nonsense as a take.  This staff has time to redeem itself, but until they win the SEC West, pretending that they have accomplished anything close to what that staff did, even with their faults, is silly.

What is nonsense? Malzahn regularly struggled in his career to beat bad teams and many times lost to them. The oline has been poorly recruited for years. Malzahn never recruited a QB from high school and turned them into even an average QB. My take was 100% accurate. Malzahn won the SEC West in his first year. He only got close one more time in the 7 years that followed at that ended with us getting trounced in that game because we had no option other than give the ball to Kerryon. He also benefited from two of the greatest and impossibly lucky plays in football history to get the one SEC West win he did. He was an average coach at best and we needed a change. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, difball said:

Bo's Auburn career is really hanging by a thread now. He bamboozled the recruiting staff and Gus - and was handed the starting job. He's done everything to squander it and still acted like it was his job all along. Finally the curtains have been drawn back and we can see he's not guaranteed to be the starter any longer. It will be interesting to see his behavior from here.

I don't think a 5 star qb that passed for 10,000 yards in high school and was named Mr. Football in Alabama bamboozled anyone.  Get real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Thankfully, I can't remember an Auburn coach ever doing that.

Agree. And that's a testament to character thankfully exhibited by Auburn leaders regardless of the crap that's happening around them. Too bad Coaches aren't just mouthpieces for forum members like so many want during those mid- or post-game interviews. That would represent Auburn so well, and certainly lead to world beater success.

"Yeah, Bo is a POS. I really should have just sent him to the locker room in the second quarter and had our trainer suit up at QB. She would have done a better job. And I won't be watching the game for a while cuz I gonna call Alan Green and try to put Derek Mason's butt on the road for the way these student athletes are sandbagging."

:) 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm confused with this one

I didn’t really get his reply either. I think he’s being sarcastic because I pointed out that he called me a d***head last week for saying the same things he is saying this week. 🤷‍♀️

15 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I don't think a 5 star qb that passed for 10,000 yards in high school and was named Mr. Football in Alabama bamboozled anyone.  Get real.

He's no 5 star qb and the coaching/recruiting staff should have seen it - those ratings stink anyway. Patrick Mahomes was a 3 star in High School.

14 minutes ago, difball said:

He's no 5 star qb and the coaching/recruiting staff should have seen it - those ratings stink anyway. Patrick Mahomes was a 3 star in High School.

Rankings ain’t 100% accurate but they still matter. You telling me Bama having 5 stars and 5 star backups everywhere don’t really matter??

1 hour ago, difball said:

You can say that now with years of playing.  You could not say that when he was being recruited. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

It's the coaches job to get them ready, period.

It is but if guys are not catching and throwing easy passes. That's not all coaching. Harsin isn't Gus. We know it's being applied. Players have to respond to coaching at some point.

• Like 1

i saw some on message boards saying bring back gus yesterday, didnt we have to depend on a onside kick to beat utah state when gus was our oc? and didnt we need ovetime to beat jsu with gus as head coach? to think gus wouldve had more smooth sailing yesterday is laughable 

Edited by KnightTiger
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

i saw some on message boards saying bring back gus yesterday, didnt we have to depend on a onside kick to beat utah state when gus was our oc? and didnt we need ovetime to beat jsu with gus as head coach? to think gus wouldve had more smooth sailing yesterday is laughable 

In September 2015, the 3rd (THIRD) year under "he who shall not be named," Auburn was ranked #6 and coming off a win over Louisville. Yes, players not running to the end of plays. Dissension within squads. And an OT win to beat Jacksonville State by 7. Nobody on the AU squad seemed to have any vested interest in putting out effort. AU went on to lose 6 games. 2016 went on to show the most embarrassing, nationally-televised offensive performance in Auburn history when we played Clemson to open the season. I do not think this coaching staff is going that direction for years 2, 3, and 4. Year 1 was expected to be very very rough. Defense is very perplexing. At least we don't ride a horse beyond it's useful life on offense. Perfect? No. Bring back "he who shall not be named?" HELL NO!

• Love 1

18 hours ago, AUwent said:

Holy smokes do I hate #54 for MSU. Would've made the difference and had LSU dejected for next week.

Both teams still looked pretty bad though.

Actually wanted LSU to win. Simply to have the game anywhere but the SEC Network(LOL) Both teams DEFINITELY look bad. Not very confident we break the streak in Death Valley

As terrible of a game as this was the only thing that matters is Auburn won.  Next week will be telling whether or not this was a blip or the beginning of a rough period.