McClain appreciation thread

AUreo

McClain made a difference today. He is a true and vocal leader on the field. I think he won the game for us today!

Someone hand him the keys to the President home, please!

• Like 4

He is so ridiculously good. I knew he was good, but today and last week really opened my eyes.

I don't know what his pro prospects are due to size, but that shouldn't diminish what he has done on the Plains. Just a tackling machine. 

• Like 3

We literally need him to win. He saved the game for us defensively. It’s not a coincidence as soon as he came in after halftime the defense settled down and actually started getting 3 and outs.

Steiner was out of position a lot on Saturday. He’s supposed to be the future for us but that didn’t look good

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

We literally need him to win. He saved the game for us defensively. It’s not a coincidence as soon as he came in after halftime the defense settled down and actually started getting 3 and outs.

Steiner was out of position a lot on Saturday. He’s supposed to be the future for us but that didn’t look good

Young players are out of position frequently...that's what they do...talent but lack the reps to instinctively be in the right place.  He was the 4th leading tackler yesterday. 

I remember watching Neiko Thorpe his Freshman and Sophomore years (08/09 I think)...he did some great things but he also led the SEC in the infamous tackles-after-touchdown stat  those years 🙂 ... when you play freshman; it's a wild ride.  That is the way of the future (and present) however.  Great ones don't stick around...so teams are/will be playing more and more freshman and living with the talent vs experience tradeoffs.  If you get 3 or 4 great plays for every 'stupid' freshman screwup; then that's gonna be worth it since they'll be gone at the end of their Jr year anyway.  The alternative is playing less talented folks who won't make the great plays but might not screw up as often...

• Like 2

What's infuriating is the NCAA saying his targeting call against Penn State was a missed call but he still sat a half. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Young players are out of position frequently...that's what they do...talent but lack the reps to instinctively be in the right place.  He was the 4th leading tackler yesterday. 

I remember watching Neiko Thorpe his Freshman and Sophomore years (08/09 I think)...he did some great things but he also led the SEC in the infamous tackles-after-touchdown stat  those years 🙂 ... when you play freshman; it's a wild ride.  That is the way of the future (and present) however.  Great ones don't stick around...so teams are/will be playing more and more freshman and living with the talent vs experience tradeoffs.  If you get 3 or 4 great plays for every 'stupid' freshman screwup; then that's gonna be worth it since they'll be gone at the end of their Jr year anyway.  The alternative is playing less talented folks who won't make the great plays but might not screw up as often...

Steiner’s a sophomore but I have big expectations for him but that was rough yesterday. In the run and pass game he was bad. 

There is a reason I've been saying he is the best in the SEC and the Nation for a year now.  The man brings so much to the position, our D has to have him out there to be effective.   This has been the case since he first stepped in to the starting role.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

What's infuriating is the NCAA saying his targeting call against Penn State was a missed call but he still sat a half. 

I didn't understand that. If they admit he did nothing wrong why was the punishment held up? These refs are getting worse every year.

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

2 minutes ago, nurbis said:

I didn't understand that. If they admit he did nothing wrong why was the punishment held up? These refs are getting worse every year.

100%

Didn't the announcers even make mention of it being wrong? 

I get nothing could be done to overturn it in the PennState game, but it's weird they still had him sit in GAState.

• Like 1

He definitely got the D straightened out.  I want to add Kobe to this thread.  I’m rewatching the game right now and he is the only receiver doing anything in the first half.

• Like 2

this is why refs do not get a lot of respect. they make a bad call and it hurts someone and theydo not clean it up. there was a ref that was a huge turd fan and he made a bunch of bad calls and fans rejoiced when he retired. i bet some on here know his name still.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

3 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Agree but I think it's more about the fact that if they admit a mistake and overturn the ejection then the next mistake they admit, they would have set a precedent of overturning after the game. At some point they'd be awarding a TD or taking one away mid week. That's a can of worms they can't afford to open. It stinks but the fix is to actually hold these refs accountable. Three strikes and your out for the season. With replay there is no reason to miss a call.