Most Surprising thing about Bo

AUght2win

Barring a total collapse from TJ or an injury, Bo's days as the Auburn starter are done. Looking at his career to now, and the trajectory it's taken, it really is shocking what ultimately sunk him.

Lots of different things sink QBs - lack of accuracy, inability to grasp an offense, poor character, etc. And don't get me wrong, there are a ton of flaws in Bo's game. But the inability to set his feet, to stay in the pocket, to follow through, and take a hit is the singular, maddeningly simple flaw that he couldn't, or rather, WOULDN'T overcome.

This issue isn't one of talent. Standing in as a QB is a choice - it's a commitment to sacrifice your body for the team, just like any other position player does every play.

We all remember that Stidham struggled with this, but not to such a crippling degree. And another big difference in those two QB's is the Bo narrative - gamer, leader, legacy, gritty, willing to lay it all on the line for Auburn. 

It's just shocking when you look at the full picture. Like I said above, Bo has other flaws. He stares down receivers, has inconsistent accuracy, loses his cool. But the fadeaway overshots and bailing on plays is what killed us today. Look at the backfoot overthrow to Cannion. If Bo hangs in and throws that wide open ball for a touchdown, we may win going away, and he could still have his job. 

We may never know what the deal is. Was he silly enough to believe he was protecting a pro career? Did Gus ingrain the panic in him? Or does he simply not like being hit?

I feel sorry for him because I know he is a good kid where it really counts. But he earned the bench. Sad story, really. Maybe he can have a Barrett Trotter or Kodi Burns redemption moment someday.

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Barring a total collapse from TJ or an injury, Bo's days as the Auburn starter are done. Looking at his career to now, and the trajectory it's taken, it really is shocking what ultimately sunk him.

Lots of different things sink QBs - lack of accuracy, inability to grasp an offense, poor character, etc. And don't get me wrong, there are a ton of flaws in Bo's game. But the inability to set his feet, to stay in the pocket, to follow through, and take a hit is the singular, maddeningly simple flaw that he couldn't, or rather, WOULDN'T overcome.

This issue isn't one of talent. Standing in as a QB is a choice - it's a commitment to sacrifice your body for the team, just like any other position player does every play.

We all remember that Stidham struggled with this, but not to such a crippling degree. And another big difference in those two QB's is the Bo narrative - gamer, leader, legacy, gritty, willing to lay it all on the line for Auburn. 

It's just shocking when you look at the full picture. Like I said above, Bo has other flaws. He stares down receivers, has inconsistent accuracy, loses his cool. But the fadeaway overshots and bailing on plays is what killed us today. Look at the backfoot overthrow to Cannion. If Bo hangs in and throws that wide open ball for a touchdown, we may win going away, and he could still have his job. 

We may never know what the deal is. Was he silly enough to believe he was protecting a pro career? Did Gus ingrain the panic in him? Or does he simply not like being hit?

I feel sorry for him because I know he is a good kid where it really counts. But he earned the bench. Sad story, really. Maybe he can have a Barrett Trotter or Kodi Burns redemption moment someday.

Good points. I agree. However, I wonder if being a product of his daddy’s HS system inflated his value coming out of HS, thus setting him up for the disappointments we have witnessed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

Good points. I agree. However, I wonder if being a product of his daddy’s HS system inflated his value coming out of HS, thus setting him up for the disappointments we have witnessed. 

I still think he is as tangibly talented as they come out of high school. Which, really, is what the recruiting services are ranking - tangibles. But the intangibles...

I don't want to sound mean but two weeks ago when Bo got flustered and got in the face of an Alabama State defender after he fumbled, I thought to myself "This kid just doesn't have it upstairs. Period." I don't know if that is just who he is or if he has a warped perception that could be, like you said, due to being coached by Dad and being this fairy tale legacy. He seems to lack self-awareness big time.

Maybe he doesn't understand how truly poorly he has played, or how it comes across. I don't know. I am grasping at straws trying to figure out why this kid just refused to hang in.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

It’s very simple. He’s not an accurate passer. Wasn’t in high school. Isn’t now. That’s it. 

I disagree. He is accurate when he sets his feet and steps into a throw. But he rarely does so.

• Like 2

The expected, emotional, overreaction thread. Nix, Stidham & White all had way too many "off" games as fairly seasoned QBs, but Finleys resume is now 1 good quarter against Ga State, and and entire LSU season of being abysmal.

• Like 7

lol....it will be interesting as the season progresses and Bo (likely) takes control of the qb1 position to come back and look at these threads.  

Look, TJ is likely(we dont even know for sure yet) getting the start Saturday.  On the road in an environment he is unlikely to do 

well in.  May be a short leash.  There is really no indication right now that:

1) Bo won't start another 25-30 games in his auburn career

2) TJ is going to even be the starter for 2 straight weeks, much less the season

IOW, people are overreacting *at this point*

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

The expected, emotional, overreaction thread. Nix, Stidham & White all had way too many "off" games as fairly seasoned QBs, but Finleys resume is now 1 good quarter against Ga State, and and entire LSU season of being abysmal.

I challenge the Auburn fans clamoring for TJ to be the qb1 do the following:  

Go watch the 2020 LSU Auburn game.  Watch Bo nix.  Watch TJ Findley.  

Then let me know how sure you are that TJ is going to be the starter going forward for long....

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

I challenge the Auburn fans clamoring for TJ to be the qb1 do the following:  

Go watch the 2020 LSU Auburn game.  Watch Bo nix.  Watch TJ Findley.  

Then let me know how sure you are that TJ is going to be the starter going forward for long....

We aren't sure man. I don't think anybody is expecting TJ to be Cam Newton. We just know Bo has had three freaking years and has regressed. Accept it and move on. That 2020 game is getting so old. This is 2021. If you're still stuck on 2020, go watch Bo's film vs South Carolina. They both had terrible games last year. Bo has continued that into this year. Maybe TJ is terrible as well, but we might as well see

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I disagree. He is accurate when he sets his feet and steps into a throw. But he rarely does so.

I’ll have to look it up, but there was a play today in the 2nd or 3rd quarter where he had the cleanest pocket you will ever get. He had a wide open receiver for a long touchdown. He set his feet. And sailed it way over his head. 

I can deal with a miss. This wasn’t close. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

lol....it will be interesting as the season progresses and Bo (likely) takes control of the qb1 position to come back and look at these threads.  

Lol, Bo hasn't taken control of the QB1 position in 2 1/3 seasons with any regularity. He may very well start again but it isn't because he had taken control of anything. It will be by default. I do believe he gives all he has. I don't believe that all he has is enough. 

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Finley's performance has nothing to do with this post. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

His completion percentage was 57% in high school. 

Who cares the reason why anymore. Feet set or not. He’s not accurate. 

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

Look, TJ is likely(we dont even know for sure yet) getting the start Saturday.  On the road in an environment he is unlikely to do 

well in.  May be a short leash.  There is really no indication right now that:

1) Bo won't start another 25-30 games in his auburn career

2) TJ is going to even be the starter for 2 straight weeks, much less the season

IOW, people are overreacting *at this point*

You really think after saving our team's ass that TJ will have a short leash, after the incredibly long leash Bo has had? Do you know how much division and resentment that would cause amongst guys in the locker room?

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

We aren't sure man. I don't think anybody is expecting TJ to be Cam Newton. We just know Bo has had three freaking years and has regressed. Accept it and move on. That 2020 game is getting so old. This is 2021. If you're still stuck on 2020, go watch Bo's film vs South Carolina. They both had terrible games last year. Bo has continued that into this year. Maybe TJ is terrible as well, but we might as well see

there is no evidence he has regressed....I can find plenty of posts just before this game where plenty of posters are saying Bo has maybe gotten a little better.  Look I don't think we know from playing 3/4 bad teams if Bo has gotten better or worse.  He wasn't good today against a bad team.  He was really good week 1 against an even worse team.  He was mediocre against Penn State.

Like a lot of not so good qbs, Bo is going to have some bad games mixed in with good games.  And being a mediocre qb mediocre days are of 

course the standard.  And while thats not great, I'll take it all day long over what TJ is likely going to bring.  

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You really think after saving our team's ass that TJ will have a short leash, after the incredibly long leash Bo has had? Do you know how much division and resentment that would cause amongst guys in the locker room?

Absolutely.....TJ will have a lot shorter leash than BO *has*(until TJ starts a couple straight games I dont consider him qb1) because 

TJ isn't as likely to play as well as Bo.  Bo was the starter going into the season for a reason.  

As for 'saving' the team, I think we were watching different games.  I saw a qb get what....4 series?....and miss a bunch of plays in those series. Sure the tank fumble wasn't his fault, but the overall grade I would give to TJ for that game is not a good one.  

Now Bo missed plays as well....thats why he was pulled.  But unlike TJ, Bo has played well before.  I watched a lot of TJ at LSU last year and 

unless he has made massive strides he is not nearly as good as Nix.  That's part of why he will have a relatively short leash.  The idea that this

is now TJ's job for sure is not clear at all.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

13 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

there is no evidence he has regressed....I can find plenty of posts just before this game where plenty of posters are saying Bo has maybe gotten a little better.  Look I don't think we know from playing 3/4 bad teams if Bo has gotten better or worse.  He wasn't good today against a bad team.  He was really good week 1 against an even worse team.  He was mediocre against Penn State.

Like a lot of not so good qbs, Bo is going to have some bad games mixed in with good games.  And being a mediocre qb mediocre days are of 

course the standard.  And while thats not great, I'll take it all day long over what TJ is likely going to bring.  

I don't think you realize just how bad he played. If he hits Canion, he probably still has his job. He air mails Deal. Throws an awful deep ball. Whole team rejoices when TJ comes in. We don't need 3 games of evidence when we have 3 seasons. Point being, it's gonna be hard for TJ to do much worse. I suppose he can throw a few pick 6's, but at least he'll be stretching the field. I really have nothing personal against Bo. I'm just sick of the justification. If TJ sucks I'll say he sucks. But let's give TJ a chance man. Bo has had a three year chance, and y'all aren't willing to give TJ one game... after he drove us 98 yards to save us from Georgia freaking State

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's December 2021...Bo Nix has just led a valiant 4th quarter comeback to beat Georgia Tech 17-16 in the Doritos Ranch Chip Bowl to give Auburn a 7-6 season after taking over for TJ Finley following a loss to LSU and reclaiming the QB1 spot.  Bo supporters everywhere take a victory lap of bragging after the 3 year veteran finally learns how to complete an out route for the W and claim "Next year is the year he puts it all together...!"

Is it nostalgia for the days of his dad that have so many in here believing there's untapped potential almost 30 games into his career?  The sample size we have is enough to show he's an average QB.  TJ and DD probably aren't quite ready for the big show of SEC football.  But is there really a difference in 5-7 Auburn with one of those guys getting to grow through fire and 7-6 Auburn with the Legacy showing the same mistakes he's shown since his freshman year?

• Like 2

Bo's toast...I watched the first half..I think he could be a good QB...he just really overthinks situations , and it seems like his natural inclination of "try harder" leads him in the wrong direction.  ..I hate it for the guy

• Like 2

I like anyone who suits up in the Auburn uniform and plays on Saturdays. So doesn't really matter to me who the QB is, I'm going to cheer for them and want them to be the best so we get the Win. Bo wasn't being the best. The dude seems like a great person, but it was time for a change. Everyone knew it. Was actually well overdue. Even the team looked like they were glad of the change with they way they played after the switch. TJ came in and wasn't perfect, but was better and what was needed to get the win. And right now, it should be his job to lose.

I think the whole Bo Nix saga just got way out of hand. From his dad legacy to all the hype of 2019 before the first game. Then throwing that Oregon TD pass at the end mixed in with beating Bama in same season it got some putting teflon on the kid. Then the regression in 2020 and now 2021 just created a whole mess. I hate it for the kid, but if we want to win going forward with SEC play now getting going, it should be TJ's to lose. And if that doesn't work out, try Davis.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

Absolutely.....TJ will have a lot shorter leash than BO *has*(until TJ starts a couple straight games I dont consider him qb1) because 

TJ isn't as likely to play as well as Bo.  Bo was the starter going into the season for a reason.  

As for 'saving' the team, I think we were watching different games.  I saw a qb get what....4 series?....and miss a bunch of plays in those series. Sure the tank fumble wasn't his fault, but the overall grade I would give to TJ for that game is not a good one.  

Now Bo missed plays as well....thats why he was pulled.  But unlike TJ, Bo has played well before.  I watched a lot of TJ at LSU last year and 

unless he has made massive strides he is not nearly as good as Nix.  That's part of why he will have a relatively short leash.  The idea that this

is now TJ's job for sure is not clear at all.

You just don't know up from down, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Joined 3 hours ago.....

How's it going Bo?

You know we still ❤️ you.

Like the man said above...anyone dressing in AU Orange & Blue and sweating with sincere hard effort gets my affection. Just the way it is. I believe in Auburn and Love It!