What Georgia State coach said after loss to Auburn

aubiefifty

What Georgia State coach Shawn Elliott said after loss to Auburn

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
3-4 minutes

Shawn Elliott

Georgia State head coach Shawn Elliott talks with an official during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Auburn Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

Shawn Elliott had his team positioned to win a second game against an SEC opponent on the road in the last three seasons. Georgia State couldn’t finish the job, though, squandering a 12-point second-half lead in a 34-24 loss to Auburn on Saturday.

The Tigers rallied in the second half, with backup quarterback T.J. Finley stepping in and delivering the go-ahead touchdown with 45 seconds left, while Auburn’s defense turned things around in the second half and suffocated Georgia State -- culminating with Smoke Monday’s pick-six to seal the game in the waning seconds.

Here’s what Elliott had to say about the game:

SHAWN ELLIOTT, Georgia State head coach

Opening Statement…

“First of all, I want to say congratulations to Auburn. Certainly, the name of the game is to come out of this thing winners, and they did. I think our football team played one unbelievable contest. They played as hard as they could and faced adversity, but they fought and clawed. It’s amazing that it comes down to a fourth-down play. We got amazing pressure on the quarterback right there; but we lost containment on the backside, and he delivered the game-winning touchdown with 30 seconds left in the game.

“I could not be prouder of our football team. The wins are about them and their faces. I don’t do a whole lot. I was disappointed when I walked in the locker room because I saw a team that had given everything they had and came up on the short end. It’s a disappointing feeling. Sports can rip you apart. That was a tough one to lose tonight. Like I said, Auburn’s got a really good football team, and they came out on top. We will bounce back though because we have a good football team as well. We had a tough non-conference schedule.

“Now we open conference play. We have got to gain great confidence from coming down here and playing so well. It’s a hard deal though when you lose the way we did. We are going to regroup and refocus and have good intentions. We have to be ready to play Appalachian State next Saturday at our place.”

On the late replay review of a John Samuel Shenker catch that went in Auburn’s favor...

“They had a little bit of help on that review where the ball was incomplete. It should have been put back on the 30-yard line. But you know when you play in the SEC you got to take the hits. And they gave us a real gut punch on that call. So we appreciate that.”

• Thanks 1

“They had a little bit of help on that review where the ball was incomplete. It should have been put back on the 30-yard line. But you know when you play in the SEC you got to take the hits. And they gave us a real gut punch on that call. So we appreciate that.”
This was him being too nice.  I would be PISSED if I was him.  Sorry but that was an incomplete pass.....and I'm an Auburn fan.  I would be demanding an explanation and it can't be "just a hey we missed the call".  Needs to be whoever made the call that it was a complete pass has go to do some training.  I hate to say it but that call not only cost them the game IMO (I know we would have still had a couple more downs) but also him some money.  I would imagine he would have gotten something for beating Auburn.

I guess as bad as our play was on Saturday it hasn't been as bad as the officiating this year.  I'm sure somehow the poor officiating this year will get blamed on COVID.    

Edited by AUfan_UAgrad
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

This was him being too nice.  I would be PISSED if I was him.  Sorry but that was an incomplete pass.....and I'm an Auburn fan.  I would be demanding an explanation and it can't be "just a hey we missed the call".  Needs to be whoever made the call that it was a complete pass has go to do some training.  I hate to say it but that call not only cost them the game IMO (I know we would have still had another down) but also him some money.  I would imagine he would have gotten something for beating Auburn.

I guess as bad as our play was on Saturday it hasn't been as bad as the officiating this year.  I'm sure somehow the poor officiating this year will get blamed on COVID.    

U spoke nothing but fax

1 hour ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

This was him being too nice.  I would be PISSED if I was him.  Sorry but that was an incomplete pass.....and I'm an Auburn fan.  I would be demanding an explanation and it can't be "just a hey we missed the call".  Needs to be whoever made the call that it was a complete pass has go to do some training.  I hate to say it but that call not only cost them the game IMO (I know we would have still had another down) but also him some money.  I would imagine he would have gotten something for beating Auburn.

We actually would have had several more downs. That pass to Shenker was on first down. It was the wrong call but I don't think it would have mattered.

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 15-08-32 ESPN Serving sports fans Anytime Anywhere .png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

We actually would have had several more downs. That pass to Shenker was on first down. It was the wrong call but I don't think it would have mattered.

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 15-08-32 ESPN Serving sports fans Anytime Anywhere .png

Correct , meant "a couple more downs".  OP corrected.

• Like 1

I watched the replay on an 80" HD screen, and if I can't say for sure there is enough evidence there to conclusively overturn the ruling on the field, I don't know how an official watching on a little screen can do any better. If you watch closely, when under the shadow of Shenker's body, his arm is pretty much the same color as the football. You cannot see the stripe on the ball from the backside view. IMO there is no way you can conclusively say from that angle whether you're seeing ball or arm from the side. From the viewpoint of where the ball was thrown, it looks like a catch.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

The two replays that were shown at the stadium were crystal clear that it was incomplete. Some of us were wondering if TV had the same angles that we do.

Watching the TV, it looked like a catch. At worst, it was 'inconclusive".

They say in the legal profession, when the facts are against you, argue the law.....

I have such an argument that goes like this: 

The outcome of the play was the receiver rolling immediately on his back, clearly in possession of the ball.

Now, if the ball had not shifted slightly so that a substantial portion had not extended from the receiver's hands and had instead remained centered within the receivers hands, what would have been the outcome?

I submit the outcome would have been exactly the same - the receiver rolling over while clearly in possession of the ball.

Therefore, who is to say the "receiver lost control" of the ball if the result was exactly the same as if he had met the criteria for having control of the ball?

The very concept of "not having control" - in this case - cannot be true if the final result (possession) is the same. 

The receiver simply used the ground as an available method of control.

image.jpeg.0ef6027fb7d7fd0a1c93c48a7e423339.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

I watched the replay on an 80" HD screen, and if I can't say for sure there is enough evidence there to conclusively overturn the ruling on the field, I don't know how an official watching on a little screen can do any better. If you watch closely, when under the shadow of Shenker's body, his arm is pretty much the same color as the football. You cannot see the stripe on the ball from the backside view. IMO there is no way you can conclusively say from that angle whether you're seeing ball or arm from the side. From the viewpoint of where the ball was thrown, it looks like a catch.

You are correct.  Furthermore, even if the ball did hit the ground that doesn’t make it incomplete necessarily.  If he has control of the ball when it hits the ground (while in his hands) it’s a complete pass.  I’m not saying he did and that it was a completed pass, but I’m saying from the video you can’t conclusively tell, so therefore the call made on the field stands.  It was the right call by the review either way it had been called on the field because it was inconclusive.

• Like 1

This ain't the NFL. Hands underneath the ball. Ball appeared to touch the ground, but possibly still be in the grasp. Can't distinguish ball from hand(s). Replays are too dark, too far away, and too blurry to be 100% conclusive. Receiver rolled over onto his back still firmly clutching the ball. No juggling. No shifting in the hands. Had control of it the entire time. Helluva of catch. End of story.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

The ground didn't aide in the catch

Agreed. I was watching the Arky/Tamu game and there was an almost identical catch reviewed and upheld. What’s been lost in the discussion is what a great athlete Shenker is. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Agreed. I think it stands either way it was called on the field.  I believe there is just as much clear video evidence to confirm the existence of Bigfoot as there is to overturn the call on the field.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Agreed. I think it stands either way it was called on the field.  I believe there is just as much clear video evidence to confirm the existence of Bigfoot as there is to overturn the call on the field.

Have you seen the Patterson footage? Geez

• Haha 1

Tired of all this "boo-hoo we didn't deserve to win" nega barning. It was a catch and couldn't be turned over based on the video evidence despite your desire for it to have been. 😒

• Like 1

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

They say in the legal profession, when the facts are against you, argue the law.....

I have such an argument that goes like this: 

The outcome of the play was the receiver rolling immediately on his back, clearly in possession of the ball.

Now, if the ball had not shifted slightly so that a substantial portion had not extended from the receiver's hands and had instead remained centered within the receivers hands, what would have been the outcome?

I submit the outcome would have been exactly the same - the receiver rolling over while clearly in possession of the ball.

Therefore, who is to say the "receiver lost control" of the ball if the result was exactly the same as if he had met the criteria for having control of the ball?

The very concept of "not having control" - in this case - cannot be true if the final result (possession) is the same. 

The receiver simply used the ground as an available method of control.

image.jpeg.0ef6027fb7d7fd0a1c93c48a7e423339.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Tired of all this "boo-hoo we didn't deserve to win" nega barning. It was a catch and couldn't be turned over based on the video evidence despite your desire for it to have been. 😒

Haven’t seen it but yeah that attitude is beta af. GSU had Auburn on the ropes all game and couldn’t finish the drill. 

• Like 1