WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

Just now, au302 said:

For years, we have asked for a coach to be able to run the program the way he sees fit. Well, this is part of what happens. Can't have it both ways. It's not ideal. Let's not try to spin this. Harsin doesn't seem dumb, and I'm sure he realizes how bad this looks. Yet, he still pulled the trigger. Several positions are not performing. Maybe we'll see more changes. But ill give him props for making moves instead of stubbornly not fixing what's broken

Yea, I don't get it.  Well, partially I do.  Theres always a "pro-hire"/"anti-hire" faction split after a new coach is hired that creates the initial biases of fan reaction.  But, I don't get the extreme initial negative reaction here and on social media over a position coach.  Harsin will succeed or fail on his own merits.  I think the ceiling for a Gus Malzahn or Harsin Auburn team in 2021 was always 8-4 and that depended on good QB/WR cohesion.  So, in my opinion, people looking for blood in a Year 1 that's looking increasingly like a 6-6 campaign at best are just impatient and don't want to let this play out a full two seasons.  Which is fair...I mean it's no fun to anticipate September 2022 because that's wishing your life away haha.

Harsin's initial hires look somewhat suspect from a coaching perspective, and we've talked about it all during the offseason.  So now we want to penalize the guy for being self-aware enough to try to make a change for what he sees as the better choice?  Can't have it both ways in my opinion.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I would be so mad if that was me bro. Like get me a freaking QB that can hitmy guys in stride as opposed every freaking catch has to be something acrobatic and I have to say should've caught it anyway

So true! I mean not having the correct wide outs on the field, wide receivers not even being on the field when they’re supposed to be, wide receivers not being aligned properly before the snap, wide receivers running the wrong routes, and wide receivers dropping passes have absolutely nothing to do with it.

He is just a scapegoat, and I think we both know why.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I know he has more contact and know more than whoever supposed to be the best insider here. And to say he should keep his mouth shut is just dumb

You say it's dumb. I don't. Truth is he more than likely has no idea why he was fired. So, maybe he should just shut up until he does. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Low hanging fruit..easiest to fire.  Plus, his guys were not getting separation.  A lot of blame all around, but he’s the one you can fire today with the least ripples.

almost a perfect post:   least ripples to the overall program, but maybe a huge impact to the locker room and coaching staff for different reasons.  

If we can focus and get the W in Baton Rouge, the ship will be righted and we will be ready to finish the season.   Right now, I am not so sure.

And I heard on one podcast after the PSU loss, the coaches were all over the receiver when Bo almost threw the pick 6.  That tells you a lot.  Game 4 and your players still aren't lining up right or not knowing the packages?  Hmmm.

I am fine with it - shows Harsin has a sack (of apples).  

• Like 1

Just now, aubaseball said:

But the flip side to this is just stay in your lane Sammy.   This is not your team anymore and I’m sure you wouldn’t want a former player making comments on your team.   

is not about IQ, is about knowing when to stay out of the conversation.  It make no sense for someone that isn’t associated with what’s happening, to question the head man.  

I'm positive no player would have a problem saying that's not the problem and I'm positive a former player is always going to feel like the school they sacrificed for is their team and rightfully so

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know he has more contact and know more than whoever supposed to be the best insider here. And to say he should keep his mouth shut is just dumb

How much contact or insider knowledge does Sammy really have?  None of the coaches he played under are still here.  No players he played with are still here since he's been gone 6 seasons.

I won't insult his football IQ, but unless he's been at all these games in person, he doesn't know much if any more about what's happening on these plays than we do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

If Harsin can get Auburn to winning 10-11 games like he did at Boise then bring in all the Boise Boyz.  

That is what it is going to take. If he wants to do it his way that's cool, but got to see the stats to back it up. This firing is just so uncommon place. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I find it funny how willing our fan base will go along with anything man....that's exactly how Gus was able to do so much damage.....don't make sense...ah stuff happens! Lol

Dude. We have who we have. Its not because we are following any man. He's the leader... I'm not jumping off the trusting the process just because he fired a coach he felt like he needed to. If after a few years we aren't going anywhere then its time to move on. The same guy that switch QBs yesterday fired a WR coach he felt like needed to go. He's trying to make us better whether you like the decision or not.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

You say it's dumb. I don't. Truth is he more than likely has no idea why he was fired. So, maybe he should just shut up until he does. 

No that's not the truth. It's actually as far away from the truth as it can get but maybe don't know how it works. A former good wr probably knows everything about what's going on with the wr group. More than likely more than anybody else. It's funny you don't think so

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's not real. That's fake fake. If the passes that were over thrown are completed then yes

Now I’m beginning to understand. The passes that are overthrown, totally unacceptable. But all of the drops and wide receiver mistakes… totally permitted, thanks for clearing it up.

• Like 6

Coaching changes happen. Ron Middleton (TE/Special teams) and Major Applewhite (Off Coord) were on Saban's 1st staff in 2007. They were replaced in 2008 by Bobby Williams and Jim McElwain. If Saban has free reign to change coaches, then so does everyone else. Including Harsin. Just saying......But a quarter of the way into the season?......

I'm positive no player would have a problem saying that's not the problem and I'm positive a former player is always going to feel like the school they sacrificed for is their team and rightfully so

But that’s not the issue.  A current player is not making the statement.   I don’t care if he played at Auburn or not.   As a former player, you should know better.  And as much as he sacrificed for AU, he is just a former player now.   That goes for everyone and I’m not signaling him out.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Dude. We have who we have. Its not because we are following any man. He's the leader... I'm not jumping off the trusting the process just because he fired a coach he felt like he needed to. If after a few years we aren't going anywhere then its time to move on. The same guy that switch QBs yesterday fired a WR coach he felt like needed to go. He's trying to make us better whether you like the decision or not.

Yes, he was thrilled with the quarterback change. But not with the wide receiver coach change. 

The problem is to have fire a coach not half way through the seasons reflects very poorly on Harsin's decision making and judgement on hiring practices.  Now that he has to replace a coach would I trust his judgment and decision making now.  The answer to that is not only no but hell no.

Edited by Carnell
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

How much contact or insider knowledge does Sammy really have?  None of the coaches he played under are still here.  No players he played with are still here since he's been gone 6 seasons.

I won't insult his football IQ, but unless he's been at all these games in person, he doesn't know much if any more about what's happening on these plays than we do.

How on earth would you know that. I get inside info 3 different coaching staffs. And some stuff from different programs. This is hilarious to even argue. Is there anybody from Florida on the team? How about South Carolina? These guys camp and talk to each other. They reach out when they decide to come to the school. They reach out when they get there. But ok. This is literally too silly to argue. Maybe you guys just don't know I guess

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

But that’s not the issue.  A current player is not making the statement.   I don’t care if he played at Auburn or not.   As a former player, you should know better.  And as much as he sacrificed for AU, he is just a former player now.   That goes for everyone and I’m not signaling him out.  

Ok

No that's not the truth. It's actually as far away from the truth as it can get but maybe don't know how it works. A former good wr probably knows everything about what's going on with the wr group. More than likely more than anybody else. It's funny you don't think so

I doubt it. Most of the kids playing WR at Auburn probably don't even know Sammie Coats. Yeah, maybe he's been to a few practices, or games, but if he's not privy to the inner workings of the new staff, he's just squawking like many others in this forum 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is what it is going to take. If he wants to do it his way that's cool, but got to see the stats to back it up. This firing is just so uncommon place. 

Most of his staff is from Boise State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Troy. Probably will be more before the season is over. Think about it, we haven’t even hit SEC play yet..

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Sammy has no idea what is going on or why Corn was fired.  Like many, its an emotional reaction without any knowledge of what truly transpired here

• Like 3

Both QB and receiver play has flat out sucked. Couldn't get much worse. Bobo wasn't going to get fired mid season for not being able to completely fix a broken QB that didn't even fit his system. Like I said, I like Corn and think he's got a bright future. Hopefully Kiesau can get things organized in that room

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Just curious, hypothetically, Cole.  If another high profile former Auburn receiver came out in favor of the firing, would that player's opinion be just as valid?  I doubt the former players have homogeneous thinking, just like none of us uninformed-to-somewhat-informed forum posters can ever agree on anything lol.  Sammy loves Auburn, knows the game, and has the right to his opinion.  But it would be difficult to know if every former Auburn WR shares his exact viewpoint.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Ok. What's your point? None of that changes the fact that it doesn't make sense and it should be questioned. Just like everybody questioned that play call. Just like all the stuff everybody convinced themselves about Gus. I didn't ask any of you to jump off of anything. I didn't jump off of anything but I wouldn't give a damn if you did or didn't. The stuff don't make sense. Period

5 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Coaching changes happen. Ron Middleton (TE/Special teams) and Major Applewhite (Off Coord) were on Saban's 1st staff in 2007. They were replaced in 2008 by Bobby Williams and Jim McElwain. If Saban has free reign to change coaches, then so does everyone else. Including Harsin. Just saying......But a quarter of the way into the season?......

Comparing off season coaching changes to mid season firings of a position coach isn't really the same 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Most of his staff is from Boise State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Troy. Probably will be more before the season is over. Think about it, we haven’t even hit SEC play yet..

I agree with you that things are not great right now, but goodness, get a grip. As negative as you make it sound, we should just forfeit the season and shut down the program. Why even travel to Baton Rouge this weekend