WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

Agree the timing is odd. But I like the tone it sets... I think.

See, you have to find a balance between unhinged chaos and a driven, demanding, accountable culture. The line is pretty thin. 

The bar should be high, just not so high that the players balk at it and you lose the locker room. A move like this, 4 games in, is in the grey area. But Corn certainly wasn't getting the best out of the guys, and certainly wasn't a decorated coach, so it might be a good message for the team. 

Truly don't know. But what we do know now is that Harsin is truly serious about this program, and you better get on board or get out of the way. 

• Like 4

When the qb, Finley in this case, knows there is a wr personnel issue before the wr coach, that speaks volumes. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am just going to be intrigued of the new WR coach.

No need to really. Is someone going to leave another team in the middle of the season to be our WR coach?

He’s going to put someone in the position that’s already on staff, not very intriguing IMO

1 minute ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

No need to really. Is someone going to leave another team in the middle of the season to be our WR coach?

He’s going to put someone in the position that’s already on staff, not very intriguing IMO

If you kept on with the conversation, it is alluded he bought in a staffer from Boise in the off season and potentially will promote him as WR. Yes, this is very intriguing if that is the case.  Especially if there is this disconnect between Boise and some other staff members.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

I also find it funny people keep talking about the wr not in that play.....as if this doesn't happen every game on every team. But just being fair the secondary does this constantly. Why is it just one person fired

57 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Tuberville beat Saban a few times at LSU. He also beat Urban Meyer a couple of time. Just because bama sucked then didn't mean the whole SEC did. 

Tubs also got dragged by Malzahn and Reverend Nutt in 2006.

He had a great run and then it was over. That 2008 bama game was more representative of what we could have expected going forward than last minute miracle wins over Florida. Tubs was an 8-win coach at best in the aughts. Mainly because of recruiting. He had the skill but lost the drive.

The whole SEC didn't suck but it was substantially different. He never had to play TAMU. He also never had to play Mullen at MSU, Petrino at Arky, or Freeze or Kiffin at Ole Miss. Saban forced the whole league to step up their game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

If you kept on with the conversation, it is alluded he bought in a staffer from Boise in the off season and potentially will promote him as WR. Yes, this is very intriguing if that is the case.  Especially if there is this disconnect between Boise and some other staff members.

I guess we have different ideas of intriguing..
The firing is intriguing...not that he’s going to promote someone on staff🤷

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Yep, you pay players, give them cars, and you get the number one recruiting class. That is how you compete. And once you start winning, you no longer need to do that anymore because people want to play for you. 

2008 was saban's 2nd season. It wasn't about recruiting that season. Tubs just got his ass kicked.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Tubs also got dragged by Malzahn and Reverend Nutt in 2006.

He had a great run and then it was over. That 2008 bama game was more representative of what we could have expected going forward than last minute miracle wins over Florida. Tubs was an 8-win coach at best in the aughts. Mainly because of recruiting. He had the skill but lost the drive.

The whole SEC didn't suck but it was substantially different. He never had to play TAMU. He also never had to play Mullen at MSU, Petrino at Arky, or Freeze or Kiffin at Ole Miss. Saban forced the whole league to step up their game.

2010 sec talent was crazy. I feel like damn near every school had a high NFL draft pick at wr

• Like 1

Just now, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I guess we have different ideas of intriguing..
The firing is intriguing...not that he’s going to promote someone on staff🤷

Yes that happens from time to time with individuals. It will be okay.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Yup and oversign classes then process out your lowest guys. Also sign kids just so your rivals don't but drop them so they're left sitting out a year.

Tubs was the most egregious oversigner in the league after Nutt.

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Haha yep. I truly hope Bobo got his ass chewed as well. He has stunk it up.

Bo missed open receivers for 3 quarters. Somebody called the plays that got them open. Lack of middle of the field patterns irked me, though. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

He was not just a staffer at BSU. He was the OC and was in the running for the HC job when Harsin came to AU.  When the HC job went to someone else, he came to AU as an analyst. 

• Thanks 1

Sammie is a grown man and entitled to his opinion. I just wish he had kept it off twitter. He probably does have some contact and connections to our current wideouts, and his open questioning of the firing could resonate with our WRs, who are likely feeling jilted already. 

Losing the locker room is the biggest risk here. Our WR couldn't be much worse and I don't think Corn was a master recruiter, so not worried about the firings impact on performance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

2010 sec talent was crazy. I feel like damn near every school had a high NFL draft pick at wr

Was Kiffin at Tennessee in 2010?

And South Carolina won the east. And bama would've won another national title if we hadn't signed Cam. Who beat Patrick Peterson, too. Wild.

1 minute ago, Mike4AU said:

He was not just a staffer at BSU. He was the OC and was in the running for the HC job when Harsin came to AU.  When the HC job went to someone else, he came to AU as an analyst. 

That comment came way before I knew who the hire was. I was just going off of what a poster was saying. I had no clue who the staffer was but yeah "hindsight is 20/20" and all of that mess.

I'm not sure it matters which assistant coach is the first one to be fired. I'm sure there will be others. The fact is, this position group was underperforming in several areas and it had to be addressed. There are other position groups. 

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

Since we're speculating how do we know the WRs didn't tell Harsin this coach is not getting them prepared to play per expectations.