WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

3 minutes ago, creed said:

Since we're speculating how do we know the WRs didn't tell Harsin this coach is not getting them prepared to play per expectations.

We don't. That's just it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really just don't understand the timing of it all. If the WRs were missing assignments, missing blocks, lining up wrong, dropping passes, etc why did it take Harsin until the 4th quarter to make meaningful rotation changes? And after those changes were made, players that were in the game caught passes that they were supposed to including a WR saving a broken fade play (again) on 4th down to get open for the TD.

Coaches can only do so much and if the players don't perform they should have been sat down. But they weren't until we're at dire straights and needing a win. And you can't tell me that it was Corn who was handcuffing Harsin from making personnel changes.

Edited by tgrogan21

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

We don't. That's just it. 

If the players had to tell their  HC that, who seemingly is supposedly detailed oriented. That would be a major red flag. So as a logical thinking individual, I am going to cross that out.

50 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No that's not the truth. It's actually as far away from the truth as it can get but maybe don't know how it works. A former good wr probably knows everything about what's going on with the wr group. More than likely more than anybody else. It's funny you don't think so

@cole256isn’t wrong.

I had an acquaintance I would see on occasion  who was never on the football team, but was close friends with a RANDOM group of football players (Stidham being one of them). This group also included a former AU player who is currently in the NFL who never played with Stidham (he’s not a qb either) and I still have no idea how he was friends with some of them. This person showed me some of the texts with this group discussing Gus’ play calling from the game the day before. Players talk to each other and their close friends. My acquaintance  even knew about a meeting some of the players had called for the team. They talk. 

Sammie may not talk to anyone, but don’t think because he’s been gone a few years that there’s no way he has connections or doesn’t know what the mood is in the locker room. There are definitely random friendships and connections football has created for AU players. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Was Kiffin at Tennessee in 2010?

And South Carolina won the east. And bama would've won another national title if we hadn't signed Cam. Who beat Patrick Peterson, too. Wild.

I don't know I remember arky passing game was sick, they had wright and childs (what happened to him he was NFL ready) and a monster hband those QBs. LSU had Benton tolliver and randle. I think Kentucky had Cobb, bammer had Julio, miss st had that hb vic somebody but he was a monster, Clemson had those two running backs and a monster tight end, South c had lattimore at hb and Jeffery at wr, ole miss had that QB from Oregon and a good hb, Georgia had Murray and aj green. Tennessee had Justin Hunter he was a monster at wr, and Poole at hb, had Burton, Rainey, and demps. You remember how explosive those guys were? And Thompson at wr. Even vandy had a couple of good backs.

Sec was so damn strong that year

• Like 2

Just now, DAG said:

If the players had to tell their  HC that, who seemingly is supposedly detailed oriented. That would be a major red flag. So as a logical thinking individual, I am going to cross that out.

Yeah, I highly doubt that's the case either. 

People normally get fired for a small number of reasons. They don't perform their job up to expectations, they're late to meetings, job etc., they are not doing what's asked of them, or they are insubordinate. Of course you also have the few that are scapegoats for the failings of the boss. If the latter one is what happened here it will eventually come to light. If it's any of the former ones we may never know. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

@cole256isn’t wrong.

I had an acquaintance I would see on occasion  who was never on the football team, but was close friends with a RANDOM group of football players (Stidham being one of them). This group also included a former AU player who is currently in the NFL who never played with Stidham (he’s not a qb either) and I still have no idea how he was friends with some of them. This person showed me some of the texts with this group discussing Gus’ play calling from the game the day before. Players talk to each other and their close friends. My acquaintance  even knew about a meeting some of the players had called for the team. They talk. 

Sammie may not talk to anyone, but don’t think because he’s been gone a few years that there’s no way he has connections or doesn’t know what the mood is in the locker room. There are definitely random friendships and connections football has created for AU players. 

It's really common sense but I guess it's an easy thing to say so and so doesn't know anything and state it like it's a fact

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I just went back and read some more posts....

Hold on- for the Gus apologists:  get real, Gus would not have changed QBs  in the first place and we would have lost yesterday.  Can you imagine the negative recruiting if that had happened?   Auburn would be Michigan 2.0    Do not argue with that or lightning may strike you down.    And do you think Gus would shake up his staff during the season?  Gus wouldn't answer a hard question; you think he would make a hard decision if his life depended on it?    Silliness.  

Harsin just showed he is a risk taker and will hold people accountable.   You think he doesn't know this can cause a lot of people to question his decision?   Of course he does.   He knows some players will question his decision also.  He is the head coach and will take the heat.   He did what he thinks is right and is building a program based on discipline and work ethic.   We want a coach willing to hold people accountable and to take the heat.  Saban does it all the time and seems to be successful by many measureables.  Give the coach a little breathing room and a couple of weeks to clean this up.   

We all want a coach who has a sack, now we have one and half the people say he is finding scapegoats.  

Baffling.   

Your post is 11 pages in and there hasn't been one sighting of a "Gus apologist" yet.  Hasn't happened on the Rivals, 247, or On3 sites either.  Move on and stop trying to antagonize people for things no one has said.

That said, I agree.  We wanted a coach with the balls to make hard decisions when players or coaches aren't meeting expectations.  We have one.  Time will tell if it was a necessary or rash decision.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, creed said:

Since we're speculating how do we know the WRs didn't tell Harsin this coach is not getting them prepared to play per expectations.

Yeah I mean maybe he slept with his wife. But that still wouldn't change that every group has and is playing bad right now

25 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Reaction to Cornelius Williams being Fired

Interesting discussion in the first part of this. They say that it's on the WR coach to change rotations and not on the head coach. A lot of talk about my man Canion and how they were all surprised he wasn't playing more and when he comes in in the 4th he's making the catches that are needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I know I started this, but I will be happy to never hear another NS comparison for a minute now. This can go two ways. It can go the NS way or it can go a complete opposite path. Legitimately none of us know hence the major difference of opinion. 

If none of us know, don't we all think exactly the same, in a weird kind of way?..🤔

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Jay Tate said the decision was one of coaching, not for anything off field - no misconduct or malfeasance.

Correct - him and his wife are some of the most upstanding people I’ve been around.  When I first heard the news my first reaction is that I would be shocked if it was anything of this nature as the reason.

Again, Boise power play at works.  I’ll post more in a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah I mean maybe he slept with his wife. But that still wouldn't change that every group has and is playing bad right now

It comes back to…this is the easiest firing of all.  He’s not firing the Auburn boys, his OC/DC, his Boise buddies, or his OL coach at this point.  He’s got a guy that can teach the position exactly like he wants and he’s willing to give up some recruiting ability to get it.  It’s a cold cold thing to do, no doubt.

We’ll see if it lights a fire or creates a staff mutiny.

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

If none of us know, don't we all think exactly the same, in a weird kind of way?..🤔

No as you can tell in this thread by the varying and contrasting of opinions.

5 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

It’s not Boise Boys versus the SEC it’s Boise versus the “potato gang” 

Non Boise coaches are potatoes?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Got to assume Bobo was on the same page with this decision, if not behind it initially.  Ultimately it is Harsin's call, but this had to be a joint decision.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

It looks like it is this guy Eric Kiesau who was the assistant WR coach but more so the offense analyst for the team.

I seem to remember that at BSU, Kiesau was the QB coach and Co-OC prior to coming to AU. I though it was interesting then that he followed CBH for an analyst role. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Boise mafia running things in the background. I love the drama I can find on here.

The Spud 🥔 gang is dangerous. 

• Haha 1