WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I did not know that. Mason was on the sideline? 

According to @TitanTiger that was reported but didn’t actually happen. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I am not going to look it up, I think it was something like, why not fire the rest of the staff.........?

I like you cole, but I call em like I see em.

Lol I didn't say that. That's like your third one today. I said I don't see how it's a power move when you have a staff under performing but you only fire one person.

You need glasses so you can see what you calling to call how you see em. You have 24 agreeing with you....that don't make for spider sense tingle?

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Lol I didn't say that. That's like your third one today. I said I don't see how it's a power move when you have a staff under performing but you only fire one person.

You need glasses so you can see what you calling to call how you see em. You have 24 agreeing with you....that don't make for spider sense tingle?

Boy, you're in a feisty mood tonight!

I hope you don't have to go to work tomorrow. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I just don't see how the conclusion can be made that now he's showing who's boss when literally everybody else on staff hasn't been good and nothing happened to them

This was it.

I apologize Cole for my distorted, paraphrase:

I think it was something like, why not fire the rest of the staff.........?

(My short term memory is deteriorating at an accelerated pace.)

Edited by homersapien

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Boy, you're in a feisty mood tonight!

I hope you don't have to go to work tomorrow. ;)

Lol. What? You guys trip me out. Don't try to read emotions in words. I was joking. I was letting you know I didn't say that then I was joking but ok lol goodnight

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

This was it.

So what do you disagree with? And that's not close to saying fire everybody else. But how is it an alpha move when you have a staff not performing and you fire one person? And also I will add I'm literally asking a question hoping someone could explain the logic and all of you are so upset at someone asking trying to understand

• Like 1

6 hours ago, au302 said:

For years, we have asked for a coach to be able to run the program the way he sees fit. Well, this is part of what happens. Can't have it both ways. It's not ideal. Let's not try to spin this. Harsin doesn't seem dumb, and I'm sure he realizes how bad this looks. Yet, he still pulled the trigger. Several positions are not performing. Maybe we'll see more changes. But ill give him props for making moves instead of stubbornly not fixing what's broken

Nobody has free reign to do as he pleases until that that kind of power is earned.  It is literally like that everywhere, just to differing degrees depending on the program.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. What? You guys trip me out. Don't try to read emotions in words. I was joking. I was letting you know I didn't say that then I was joking but ok lol goodnight

"You guys"?  :dunno:

And if you are "joking", maybe add an icon, like a wink or something?

• Haha 2

So I attended the game, and saw a coach with a play sheet near the line of scrimmage when the defense was on the field. Now being in the student section, the Auburn sideline is across the field, so I assumed it was Mason. I think it made sense that he could've been on the sideline calling plays directly to Zakoby, and cleared up a lot of communication and alignments on defense.

Just now, homersapien said:

"You guys"?  :dunno:

And if you are "joking", maybe add an icon, like a wink or something?

So you don't have an answer? And when it's pretty clear I don't put an icon it takes away from the joke. And there's no need to quote joking

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

This is Harsin’s shot across the bow. Telling all the coaches as well as players “ do your job or I’ll find someone that will”. Something our last few coaches have had a problem with. These guys work for the HC, 

Please.... people will lump Harsin in that same group and adopt a new "alpha" when he is gone.  Gus fired the entire staff and built his own when he came back.  Tuberville went thru more coordinators than most people have socks.  It isn't something new.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Seems like it is more Boise vs South East guys. Idk, Tate implied Harsin wanted "his guys"...which didn't make sense bc Harsin hired all of these ppl. I haven't seen anything suggesting he was forced to make any hires.

I'm sure that it was suggested that he hire some coaches with ties to the area for recruiting purposes.  Most coaches do that.  Of course, from the looks of it, it hasn't paid off much yet.

Auburn fires first-year WR coach Cornelius Williams

•  
  •  
  •  

Highlights: Georgia State at No. 23 Auburn

AUBURN, Alabama--Auburn has fired first-year wide receivers coach Cornelius Williams four games into the 2021 football season, sources close to the situation confirmed to Auburn Undercover and Inside the Auburn Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

Williams, who was previously the receivers coach at Troy, was hired by Bryan Harsin in January with a contract worth $600,000 over two years. According to a copy of the contract provided to Auburn Undercover via a records request in March, Williams is owed a buyout of the remainder of his deal, though the total amount will be mitigated if Williams takes another college coaching job.

Offensive analyst Eric Kiesau, who was hired by Harsin in the offseason after serving as his offensive coordinator at Boise State from 2019-20, will take over as receivers' coach, according to informed sources.

Auburn's wide receivers have been inconsistent at best over the past two weeks as they try to transition to a new offensive system and more expected of them at the position. The Tigers are having to replace all three starters from a season ago and did not have a single returning receiver with double digit career receptions heading into the season. With drops and miscommunications a big issue in Auburn's passing game, the Tigers scored only one offensive touchdown in a 34-24 win over Georgia State over the weekend.

As a coach on multiple teams that put up strong offensive numbers, Williams made the move to Auburn from his alma mater, Troy University, where he coached wide receivers the past six seasons. Last year his group finished with receiving games of 100 or more yards 11 times, breaking the previous school record of seven.

His 2020 receivers helped the Trojans tie the school record for 500-yard offensive performances with six while scoring at least 35 points in eight games, the fourth highest total in Sun Belt Conference history. He was part of four conference championship teams at Troy.

Williams also coached wide receivers on teams at Murray State, Jacksonville State and UAB that put up impressive offensive numbers with the receivers a big part of the equation.

When making the hire, Harsin said, "Cornelius is a great fit for the staff we are assembling. He is a strong teacher of the game on the field and has been developing recruiting ties in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi during his time at Troy. As a Birmingham native, and his state of Alabama roots, he understands what Auburn football is all about and the type of player and high character individuals we want bring in and develop. I’m excited to see his energy and passion for the game guide our wide receiver."

As a coach at Troy his receivers earned All-Sun Belt honors 14 times. He played on four state championship teams at Hoover High School where he set single-season records for receptions (77) and receiving yardage (1,300). He earned All-State honors as a senior. In his first season as a coach at South Alabama that team finished 10-0. Williams was a four-year letterman at Troy from 2006-09 and helped lead the Trojans to three bowls and a 26-3 Sun Belt record. He finished his collegiate career with 63 receptions for 764 yards and seven touchdowns.

At Jacksonville State he helped the Gamecocks reach the FCS quarter-finals with one of his players, Josh Badge, earning Freshman All-America honors. In his one season at Murray State the team led the Ohio Valley Conference in scoring and receiving yards. At UAB a receiver he coached, J.J. Nelson, was a fifth round draft pick by Arizona. In 2018 Damion Willis produced 213 receiving yards vs. Louisiana, the second highest total in Troy history. He coached Deondre Douglas, who earned All-Sun Belt honors three times. Another receiver he coached, Emanuel Thompson, led he Sun Belt in receptions in 2016 with 80.

247COMMENTS

Cornelius Williams Coaching Background: 2010 graduate assistant, South Alabama; 2011, wide receivers coach, Murray State; 2012, wide receivers coach, North Alabama; 2013, wide receivers coach, Jacksonville State; 2014, wide receivers coach, UAB; 2015-18, wide receivers coach, Troy; 2019-20, passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach, Troy

Auburn Undercover is updating this story. Check back soon for additional information.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tj71 said:

S&C guys can't be blamed for a couple of years.  Takes time to develop players.  I hope they are capable and get the job done.  WDE

The question was if there were any other Boise people on staff.  I wasn't blaming them for anything.  I was pointing out that they existed.

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Please.... people will lump Harsin in that same group and adopt a new "alpha" when he is gone.  Gus fired the entire staff and built his own when he came back.  Tuberville went thru more coordinators than most people have socks.  It isn't something new.

I don't want to make this a Gus or any prior coach thing. But calling this an alpha move is as weird to me as (alot of things related to fans sunshine pumping POV with the hire of Harsin that I'm not gonna mention bc of how trite the topic is). Essentially, I really don't like how some Auburn fans seem to not want a neutral or even outside of Auburn perspective. If outsider brass is saying this looks embarrassing (or at least really really weird) and guys on here are calling this an alpha move, the truth has to be in the middle IMO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn fires first-year WR coach Cornelius Williams

•  
  •  
  •  

Highlights: Georgia State at No. 23 Auburn

AUBURN, Alabama--Auburn has fired first-year wide receivers coach Cornelius Williams four games into the 2021 football season, sources close to the situation confirmed to Auburn Undercover and Inside the Auburn Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

Williams, who was previously the receivers coach at Troy, was hired by Bryan Harsin in January with a contract worth $600,000 over two years. According to a copy of the contract provided to Auburn Undercover via a records request in March, Williams is owed a buyout of the remainder of his deal, though the total amount will be mitigated if Williams takes another college coaching job.

Offensive analyst Eric Kiesau, who was hired by Harsin in the offseason after serving as his offensive coordinator at Boise State from 2019-20, will take over as receivers' coach, according to informed sources.

Auburn's wide receivers have been inconsistent at best over the past two weeks as they try to transition to a new offensive system and more expected of them at the position. The Tigers are having to replace all three starters from a season ago and did not have a single returning receiver with double digit career receptions heading into the season. With drops and miscommunications a big issue in Auburn's passing game, the Tigers scored only one offensive touchdown in a 34-24 win over Georgia State over the weekend.

As a coach on multiple teams that put up strong offensive numbers, Williams made the move to Auburn from his alma mater, Troy University, where he coached wide receivers the past six seasons. Last year his group finished with receiving games of 100 or more yards 11 times, breaking the previous school record of seven.

His 2020 receivers helped the Trojans tie the school record for 500-yard offensive performances with six while scoring at least 35 points in eight games, the fourth highest total in Sun Belt Conference history. He was part of four conference championship teams at Troy.

Williams also coached wide receivers on teams at Murray State, Jacksonville State and UAB that put up impressive offensive numbers with the receivers a big part of the equation.

When making the hire, Harsin said, "Cornelius is a great fit for the staff we are assembling. He is a strong teacher of the game on the field and has been developing recruiting ties in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi during his time at Troy. As a Birmingham native, and his state of Alabama roots, he understands what Auburn football is all about and the type of player and high character individuals we want bring in and develop. I’m excited to see his energy and passion for the game guide our wide receiver."

As a coach at Troy his receivers earned All-Sun Belt honors 14 times. He played on four state championship teams at Hoover High School where he set single-season records for receptions (77) and receiving yardage (1,300). He earned All-State honors as a senior. In his first season as a coach at South Alabama that team finished 10-0. Williams was a four-year letterman at Troy from 2006-09 and helped lead the Trojans to three bowls and a 26-3 Sun Belt record. He finished his collegiate career with 63 receptions for 764 yards and seven touchdowns.

At Jacksonville State he helped the Gamecocks reach the FCS quarter-finals with one of his players, Josh Badge, earning Freshman All-America honors. In his one season at Murray State the team led the Ohio Valley Conference in scoring and receiving yards. At UAB a receiver he coached, J.J. Nelson, was a fifth round draft pick by Arizona. In 2018 Damion Willis produced 213 receiving yards vs. Louisiana, the second highest total in Troy history. He coached Deondre Douglas, who earned All-Sun Belt honors three times. Another receiver he coached, Emanuel Thompson, led he Sun Belt in receptions in 2016 with 80.

247COMMENTS

Cornelius Williams Coaching Background: 2010 graduate assistant, South Alabama; 2011, wide receivers coach, Murray State; 2012, wide receivers coach, North Alabama; 2013, wide receivers coach, Jacksonville State; 2014, wide receivers coach, UAB; 2015-18, wide receivers coach, Troy; 2019-20, passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach, Troy

Auburn Undercover is updating this story. Check back soon for additional information.

$600,000 to coach wide receivers.  I realize that it is common place, but that doesn't make it any less obscene.

• Like 4

I really just want to acknowledge for myself that a largely Boise oriented staff just seems like a bad idea to me at Auburn. It just seems dismissive of how much power and money you have at a top 15 program. Are there any of these Boise guys, now that we're being more honest, that seem like Auburn tier hires??? 

edit: I also think it was bad for the previous coach to hire guys that just played QB for him or was like the asst to the OC's kid and took him to daycare and promoting them to coordinator positions. I don't want to get caught doing the same garbage (especially if these guys can't recruit, which at least the old staff could do)  

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't want to make this a Gus or any prior coach thing. But calling this an alpha move is as weird to me as (alot of things related to fans sunshine pumping POV with the hire of Harsin that I'm not gonna mention bc of how trite the topic is). Essentially, I really don't like how some Auburn fans seem to not want a neutral or even outside of Auburn perspective. If outsider brass is saying this looks embarrassing (or at least really really weird) and guys on here are calling this an alpha move, the truth has to be in the middle IMO

I used that word because another poster had made that comment.  I also think it is a silly conclusion to draw based on a personnel move.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I really just want to acknowledge for myself that a largely Boise oriented staff just seems like a bad idea to me at Auburn. It just seems dismissive of how much power and money you have at a top 15 program. Are there any of these Boise guys, now that we're being more honest, that seem like Auburn tier hires??? 

I agree with you 100%

1 hour ago, Yabo said:

Harsin is aware of the optics and fired him anyway.

Which makes me think there is a lot more to the story than anyone will ever know. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I just don't see how the conclusion can be made that now he's showing who's boss when literally everybody else on staff hasn't been good and nothing happened to them

Everything so far tonight is nothing but conclusions being made.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Y’all saying this dude was insubordinate like y’all were right there. Stop being messy. This dude doesn’t even seem like he carries himself that way and was well respected at Troy. 

Exaclty. It is impossible for any of us to know the whole story. On one hand, if it was purely from a performance standpoint from the players, you would think half the staff would be gone. Although, I would say it is not near as big an issue to fire a WR coach mid-season when you have one in your back pocket that you have worked with before, as it to fire your OC or DC mid season. The other hand, maybe there is more to than just a performance issue. Maybe there was insubordination or bumping of heads in a sorts. Could be that CBH just doesn't want to make it look any worse for Corn than it already is. IDK. No one does. I am delirious so this went longer than intended.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Things might come out in the future that makes this a good thing to do and I am interested in getting another former OC coaching down on the field but it just makes Harsin look even more out of his depth.

Hard disagree. In no way does it make Harsin look out if his depth.

Also no one even knows why he was fired. All speculation. He could've very well said the wrong thing at the wrong time. Any could have happened leading to this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I did not know that. Mason was on the sideline? 

That is according to my son, his family and our friends, some of whom were in my seats, as I am in Japan on business. I just assumed it took place at half time.

• Like 1