WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

After sleeping on it...we'll see how this plays out....But I don't see why this couldn't have been done after the season.  It could be good and deserving or it could be bad and just look terrible from an overall program management standpoint.  Harsin apparently has no history of firing coaches mid-season, so this is out of character.

I don't think I buy the "Someone needs to be fired" nonsense line.  Part of me doesn't want to buy it b/c I think it's a really terrible look from a leadership standpoint.  You're 4 games into a season, knowing this isn't an immediate fix...firing a guy just b/c (especially when probably 8/10 position coaches are underperforming) just doesn't make sense.  Especially firing a guy who is well regarded as a good young and up can coming coach who you essentially hand selected...one that has direct ties to the state you reside.  It doesn't make logical sense.  You could elevate the new WR coach and essentially give him all the duties and fire him in the offseason.  The same thing would be accomplished.

Everyone said it's football related.  Maybe it coaching philosophy or not seeing eye to eye or his position group is being handled so much worse than anyone else's.  I'm not sure.  I still don't see why this couldn't have been done after the season & given the new guy just a much larger role.

The only way this ends up looking good for Auburn is if our WR group starts excelling and becoming a top unit...but with the rest of our problems on offense I'm not sure how possible that really is.

End of the day, we all really have no clue the full story. I have to believe there is a reason that CBH felt it had to be done now. That line of thinking starts heading towards the speculation train in a hurry, but I would assume CBH has to know the optics of firing a coach midseason and replacing him with a friend or "previous employee". The optics are horrible and he chose to do it anyway. He also had to imagine it would have an impact on recruiting as well. IDK....JABA

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Honestly, this is where I'm at as well.  I get the optics of firing a coach midseason aren't great.  But at the same time, I like a coach willing to hold everyone accountable.  If he doesn't feel like he and an assistant coach can't get on the same page after spring and fall practices and four games, do something about it.

And of course this is all assuming there weren't other factors involved.  I've heard the notion of being insubordinate in some way.  No head coach should put up with that.  No idea if that's true though.  In fact, from what people who've followed Corn's career say, it doesn't sound like him at all.  But who knows?

But like you say, we wanted a hardass - a wolf.  It looks like we've got one.  Now we just have to see how it plays out.

I think just about everyone is happy about that last part.

I think it's all the unemotional/logical/practical concerns that are being discussed, and for good reason. How bad was Harsin's judgment in hiring the dude in the first place? How concerned should we be that he so quickly gave up on a young, hungry, energetic recruiter with significant local ties in favor of yet another guy from Idaho? What about all the other units that have been underperforming?

None of that has to do with the wisdom of or value in trimming the fat. I'm still riding with Harsin but they're all fair questions and we should all be holding this coach just as accountable as the last one.

Sincerely,
Some message board dork that was delighted to see the last guy fired and this guy hired

Lol how are you a bad ass though firing one guy while everybody sucks and having bobo standing next to you while you do it? 

This guy called the worst call ever and then turned around and made the same call! If you are a bad ass go at that guy. That's not tough, unless he did something against him

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really odd move IMO. But this is Harsin's team so he has to make the decisions that he feels are needed. The whole offense has looked very shaky so i think some extra was going on with the WRs. I personally think Bobo needs to get shown the door but if you fire him i guess you lose the OL coach as well. So maybe this is the move you make before using the nuclear option and blowing up the whole offensive staff? I don't have a lot of confidence that this is going to suddenly make the team look better but i do agree that you have to do "something" to get peoples attention. I don't know how Shivers only has like 2 touches yesterday. I don't think he is a true SEC back (not enough vision and wiggle) but man get him the ball in some space and watch him outrun some folks. 

Defense....man that might have been the worse game to have both our starting LBs out. Night and day when McClain came back. But these busted coverages have to stop. I knew we were going to have some growing pains switching to the new defense but we look completely lost at times. I hate the technique the CBs are using (if you can even call it technique) get your freaking head turned around and make a play on the ball!!

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Lots of people wanted "No more MR. Nice Guy". Now we don't have a Mr. Nice Guy. I can get used to it real easy, I hope others can too. When you ask for a hard-azz and you get a hard-azz, take the bitter with the sweet.

A number of players were shown the door before the season started, now coaching heads are starting to roll. It's nothing to get upset about. If we've hired the right guy it will be obvious in three years. If he's not the right guy that will also be obvious.

In the meantime, let's be supportive.

Let's be supportive goes only so far. Lots of problems beyond wide receivers. Silly question is Bobo or Harsin calling plays? I keep hearing Bobo, but during the game Harsin is walking around with a clipboard and sure looks like he is calling the plays. What's the dynamic here?

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol how are you a bad ass though firing one guy while everybody sucks and having bobo standing next to you while you do it? 

This guy called the worst call ever and then turned around and made the same call! If you are a bad ass go at that guy. That's not tough, unless he did something against him

You've asked some really good questions regarding this firing, and I'm just operating under the assumption that there are some really good answers that we probably won't ever know of. Gonna give Harsin the benefit for now. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I wasn’t in favor of the hire, and I thought our first four weeks of football were atrocious at times from a coaching standpoint. But I must say, when he yanked our defensive coordinator out of the booth and put his A$$ on the sidelines, there was a drastic improvement with our linebackers being in the correct gaps etc… and that was impressive.      

When he yanked Bo in favor of the second stringer, who after a slow start (miss field goal and fumble certainly not his fault) wound up up winning us the game, that was impressive. When he demoted our wide receivers coach at halftime and then fired him after the game, that was also impressive! I didn’t think Harsin was ready for the job, but it looks like he is learning quickly!

Possibly, “really grew up” so to speak, as more of a big-time head coach yesterday! I sure hope so!!

I did not know about the halftime demotion.   And sorry I missed it - can someone expound on this?  Probably not much to expound upon.

Harsin is making changes  like our season depended on it, WHICH IT DOES!   No way we could roll into Red Stick on Saturday night and win playing the way we have been playing.   I don't care if LSU is having an off year. 

Thank you Allen Green for hiring a no-nonsense coach!    Harsin reminds me of another coach this week, kind of like Spurrier, but without all the quips and quotes. 

You know who else better be ready?  D Davis      I believe anyone may be called upon.   Now is he developed enough to win an SEC game, oh goodness no, but you get my point.  

• Like 1

I say it’s Harsin’s call to make. I’d also say he has to operate within the budget he was originally given for the season, and that he would need to cover any cost difference for said move from his own salary. That’s called accountability. 

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I get the logic but would you rather the OC be fired 4 games in or the WR coach?

As stated many times before none of us will know the real story. 

13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I plan on rewatching the game sometime this week when my nerves are up to it. I will be looking at the group specifically to get an idea if there was a big difference in rotation or if what changes did appear were more likely due to absence of DRob.

I didn’t watch it live, I’m dang sure not gonna job myself in the rear with a broomstick..they say that hurts..

12 hours ago, God Cam It said:

If Corn made the call (he didn't) that won the game, he wouldn't have been fired. Some are syainf its because how he can't tell players the truth (not telling them they did wrong when they did). No clue why you want to blame everyone and their mother besides the guy who got fired right before a massive personnel change was made kid game that led to Auburn winning. It's an odd, strange angle to be arguing quite honestly cuz. 

I think I know why..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Does anybody know what this guy is talking about and why he has all this hostility towards me. I literally do not know this guy. No interactions

He’s just reading your ad nauseum posts on this subject. That’ll do…

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

we knocking potatoes now red? by gawd i will not stand for it.where is the nearest sonic where you live? and how big a boy are you? grins

*quietly from the back row*

yeah! We won’t stand for this!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Honestly, this is where I'm at as well.  I get the optics of firing a coach midseason aren't great.  But at the same time, I like a coach willing to hold everyone accountable.  If he doesn't feel like he and an assistant coach can't get on the same page after spring and fall practices and four games, do something about it.

And of course this is all assuming there weren't other factors involved.  I've heard the notion of being insubordinate in some way.  No head coach should put up with that.  No idea if that's true though.  In fact, from what people who've followed Corn's career say, it doesn't sound like him at all.  But who knows?

But like you say, we wanted a hardass - a wolf.  It looks like we've got one.  Now we just have to see how it plays out.

I have not gotten the impression that Harsin is the kind of man that does things like firing assistant coaches, midseason, on a whim.  Midseason firings, in general, are rare enough that they are notable when they happen.  We will probably never know the full story, but I think it had to have been a big deal to warrant such immediate action.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Harsin reminds me of another coach this week, kind of like Spurrier, but without all the quips and quotes. 

Let me smoke some of that weed yah got.  That's some good s***

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll say this, it’s very weird and unexpected. As games have worn on we have regressed. I believe some of it is talent, but if we’re cutting coaches this early, I expect more to go eventually

You know what? I'm cool with the wait and see. I was just very confused with everybody getting angry at those questions. But if other people understand I'm good. O just felt like I was in the Twilight zone for a sec and I was the only person that was saying wait a minute....that doesn't add up all the way

Oh and my last point the wr group was the most inexperienced group. Literally no starts, so some stuff should be expected. Ok. I'm done.

• Like 2

25 pages....don't think I can get through all the new stuff.

Hopefully this was covered:  Coach Corn was the local hire and I suspect mostly for recruiting.   Harsin hired his old OC when the OC did not get hired at Boise to replace him as the HC.   Gives Harsin a lot of flexibility and another trusted person on staff to help analyze things.   I heard on a podcast this morning this Eric K  guy coached WRs and Deshaun Jackson.   True?  I have no idea, but that guy was talented and got drafted and became an All Pro.  

Harsin built in some redundancy in his staff and had the sack to upgrade when it appeared we were not improving over the past 6 months.     Think about it - 6 months!   That's a long time to have a small group of guys and they still can't line up right and execute inside Jordan Hare.  Shame on Harsin if he had not made a change and continued down that road while having another trusted coach on staff who could do the job (maybe better, maybe not). 

If we upset LSU and win a few more SEC games,  everyone will be just fine.   Lots of football to be played. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, woodford said:

I get the logic but would you rather the OC be fired 4 games in or the WR coach?

tbqh, I'd be fine if the OC was fired.  I don't think he was that great of a hire to begin with and I haven't been impressed by his offense in a while.  Fire Friend too.  He was brought in to recruit b/c that's his calling card vs coaching and he's been trash 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, woodford said:

Considering that the head coach, and the new WR coach both have OC experience, it might not be that difficult to replace the OC if it became necessary.

• Like 1

The guy replacing CCW is not just a Boise guy. He’s been offensive coordinator at several stops and was also on staff for Saban. Can’t say he doesn’t know how to get things done in the SEC if he was an analyst for bumma for a year. He’s seen how the sausage is made.

• Like 3