WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You know what? I'm cool with the wait and see. I was just very confused with everybody getting angry at those questions. But if other people understand I'm good. O just felt like I was in the Twilight zone for a sec and I was the only person that was saying wait a minute....that doesn't add up all the way

Everyone wants to be certain that we have the right guy running the ship and everything he does is 100% correct.

"Trust the coaches"

Edited by W.E.D

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

tbqh, I'd be fine if the OC was fired.  I don't think he was that great of a hire to begin with and I haven't been impressed by his offense in a while.  Fire Friend too.  He was brought in to recruit b/c that's his calling card vs coaching and he's been trash 

You realize recruiting isn’t over, right?

IMO Of all the groups who have underperformed, the WR group has been the most disappointing. The OL in the biggest game of the season (so far) at PSU, did lead to a 100yd runner, and Auburn showed they could run the ball against a legit opponent. Whereas the WR group had some critical drops, and a WR had a big turnover. Even during camp there were comments about WR and drops, so once the season started was the WR group trending up, down or staying flat? Coach probably felt it was not gonna get better and made the move. I am still surprised the termination happened like it did, but at this point I am not going to get too high or low about it. 

• Like 4

Just now, toddc said:

NSD is in like 10 weeks.  We really need 5 HS OLs in this class and have 0 and running 2nd or 3rd behind 0-4 FSU for any local guys and trying to find some JUCO or kids in Texas.

Pretending that OL recruiting is anything but a disaster right now, even though NSD hasn't officially come and gone, is just ignoring the obvious

• Like 3

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

After sleeping on it...we'll see how this plays out....But I don't see why this couldn't have been done after the season.  

Sominex or Nytol? 

30 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Harsin reminds me of another coach this week, kind of like Spurrier, but without all the quips and quotes. 

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Let me smoke some of that weed yah got.  That's some good s***

Well I don't want to make reference to Saban, so I won't.  But Spurrier would do the same if he had the options and redundancy on his staff. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I did not know about the halftime demotion.   And sorry I missed it - can someone expound on this?  Probably not much to expound upon.

Harsin is making changes  like our season depended on it, WHICH IT DOES!   No way we could roll into Red Stick on Saturday night and win playing the way we have been playing.   I don't care if LSU is having an off year. 

Thank you Allen Green for hiring a no-nonsense coach!    Harsin reminds me of another coach this week, kind of like Spurrier, but without all the quips and quotes. 

You know who else better be ready?  D Davis      I believe anyone may be called upon.   Now is he developed enough to win an SEC game, oh goodness no, but you get my point.  

You watched the first half, much less the entire game Saturday, and concluded that he is Spurrier like?  Kool-aid for everyone please..... lol I will just admire your optimism.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

IMO Of all the groups who have underperformed, the WR group has been the most disappointing. The OL in the biggest game of the season (so far) at PSU, did lead to a 100yd runner, and Auburn showed they could run the ball against a legit opponent. Whereas the WR group had some critical drops, and a WR had a big turnover. Even during camp there were comments about WR and drops, so once the season started was the WR group trending up, down or staying flat? Coach probably felt it was not gonna get better and made the move. I am still surprised the termination happened like it did, but at this point I am not going to get too high or low about it. 

I disagree with that, but respect your opinion

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh and my last point the wr group was the most inexperienced group. Literally no starts, so some stuff should be expected. Ok. I'm done.

And we were told in the spring that they're just not very good, and that there isn't an alpha in the group. 

Who knows. Maybe some of us will finally learn what a WR coach's job really is. (And I do mean myself, first and foremost. I know it's not making them actually catch a ball that hits them in the hands, but all the other stuff.)

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

NSD is in like 10 weeks.  We really need 5 HS OLs in this class and have 0 and running 2nd or 3rd behind 0-4 FSU for any local guys and trying to find some JUCO or kids in Texas.

Pretending that OL recruiting is anything but a disaster right now, even though NSD hasn't officially come and gone, is just ignoring the obvious

Yep. Recruiting is looking more and more like a problem, especially at the position we need it most. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Will Friend has yet to provide value to this program.  His oline couldn't block a G5 GaState team (1-3) AND that  oline recruiting is in the crapper with less than 3 months to early signing day. 

Edited by keesler
  • Like 2

Just now, cbo said:

Yep. Recruiting is looking more and more like a problem, especially at the position we need it most. 

Certain areas aren't that bad.  Nothing is really great at any one spot.  OL in particular is really bad.  DL/DE is pretty bad too.  WR seemed like the best, but we'll see if there is any fall out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keesler said:

When Friend had yet to provide value to this program.  His oline couldn't block a G5 GaState team (1-3) AND that  oline recruiting is in the crapper with less than 3 months to early signing day. 

Yeah.  Friend isn't really known as an elite OL coach.  UGA was happy to see him leave, UT's OL was a disaster....but what he's always been able to do is bring in very good talent.  He can't even get his boss's son to commit to us (I think Bobo Jr looks like a really good player too).

We need contribution from Friend in some fashion.  

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

When Friend had yet to provide value to this program.  His oline couldn't block a G5 GaState team (1-3) AND that  oline recruiting is in the crapper with less than 3 months to early signing day. 

I suspect that Friend is probably on notice at this point. Especially since Harsin does have his old BSU OL Coach on staff as well

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Certain areas aren't that bad.  Nothing is really great at any one spot.  OL in particular is really bad.  DL/DE is pretty bad too.  WR seemed like the best, but we'll see if there is any fall out.

The average player rating is pretty good. Numbers are still so low, though. We will see how it shakes out. But, yeah, OL is a huge concern. 

3 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I suspect that Friend is probably on notice at this point. Especially since Harsin does have his old BSU OL Coach on staff as well

If we have multiple coaches on notice, then it was a really horrible evaluation and hiring of a staff by Harsin.

We're already dropping millions on coaching buyouts. If we wanted all Boise guys, he should have just done that from the start and saved a ton of money bc none of those guys would command high paying dollars

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yep. Couldn't find a single person (sans Michael Bobo) that could absolve that hire based on coaching merit. Simply "he's an ace recruiter"

What were we even supposed to do with a guy who could recruit but couldn't coach? Did people think we could do a "village develops the kid" approach? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If we have multiple coaches on notice, then it was a really horrible evaluation and hiring of a staff by Harsin.

We're already dropping millions on coaching buyouts. If we wanted all Boise guys, he should have just done that from the start and saved a ton of money bc none of those guys would command high paying dollars

I don't disagree.. but is there a reason in your mind why multiple coaches shouldn't be on notice? One just got axed and as has been discussed, it's arguable if his position group was the worst... 

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yep. Couldn't find a single person (sans Michael Bobo) that could absolve that hire based on coaching merit. Simply "he's an ace recruiter"

What were we even supposed to do with a guy who could recruit but couldn't coach? Did people think we could do a "village develops the kid" approach? 

I was hoping Harsin would have some oversights, but maybe Bobo is essentially Harsin play style. 

6 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I don't disagree.. but is there a reason in your mind why multiple coaches shouldn't be on notice? One just got axed and as has been discussed, it's arguable if his position group was the worst... 

I mean, probably bc we can't just constantly fire everyone and we know going unit this season we had talent issues all over the place.

I don't see how anyone can't point to DBs as the worst group, especially when looking at talent/experience. WR hasn't been that great. But they are the most inexperienced group and have had terrible QB play.

Lots if other names above Corn that deserve firing just from position group play. 

24 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

This is a brand new coaching staff and everyone is on notice that u evaluated and hired. If these guys didn’t meet ur vision why hire them. All of the coaches coming in should have been hungry and ready to make a difference. I don’t think he realized how serious people take football in the south. U can hear the stories but to experience it is another situation and the fans Saturday clearly let him know how serious it is.

I hope stuff turns out well too. I hope we don't put bad karma on ourselves. I just didn't see how this was such an alpha move as some try to make it out. It's crazy to me people are happy to fire a guy just to fire him

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I hope stuff turns out well too. I hope we don't put bad karma on ourselves. I just didn't see how this was such an alpha move as some try to make it out. It's crazy to me people are happy to fire a guy just to fire him

Regardless of it is an "alpha" move it was a decisive one. I don't see many folks happy that the WR coach was fired. Most are just happy that something was done. If you're in Harsin's shoes how do you respond to barely beating GA St at home? Honest question there....do you just yell like crazy and hope that sinks in.....fire the whole staff.....demote Corn to analyst and promote Kiseau (sp?).

On a side note....i thought the Bobo hire was odd from the start. Wonder if Harsin was strongly encouraged to make that move. You know bring in some SEC experience onto the staff??

• Like 1

Said it yesterday and will say it again. The WRs have been running bad routes and have been shorting the routes ( infamous fade). The drops are one thing but the above are all coachable. IMO the icing on the cake was again not having the personnel groups on the field at the right time. I noticed in person vs bama state ( atleast 4 times) then again vs PSU and late in the game Saturday that was nearly an extremely costly penalty. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Said it yesterday and will say it again. The WRs have been running bad routes and have been shorting the routes ( infamous fade). The drops are one thing but the above are all coachable. IMO the icing on the cake was again not having the personnel groups on the field at the right time. I noticed in person vs bama state ( atleast 4 times) then again vs PSU and late in the game Saturday that was nearly an extremely costly penalty. 

We have had multiple 3rd down plays where the receiver ran the route short of the first down marker…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1