WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Regardless of it is an "alpha" move it was a decisive one. I don't see many folks happy that the WR coach was fired. Most are just happy that something was done. If you're in Harsin's shoes how do you respond to barely beating GA St at home? Honest question there....do you just yell like crazy and hope that sinks in.....fire the whole staff.....demote Corn to analyst and promote Kiseau (sp?).

On a side note....i thought the Bobo hire was odd from the start. Wonder if Harsin was strongly encouraged to make that move. You know bring in some SEC experience onto the staff??

It may not be many I guess that's subjective. There are some though. To me it's weak. It doesn't do anything. Literally nothing at all. And I understand ok you don't want to fire the ocbut you're cool with the same dumb play call literally the next game? Fix that. Making somebody a scape goat? I know nobody will believe it but this will damn sure hurt recruiting. For all we know it could hurt the locker room. Bunch of stuff to consider really.

But if you are making a point of suck play will not stand, then you do something to all of suck play. In what type of setting or what organization do you just single one person out when everything sucks and that's good? Then you want to preach family? If you didn't want him to coach and you wanted the other guy just hire him. He could've stayed at troy and been just fine. Ruin his reputation because a group and a team isn't that good when everybody knew that from the jump?

2 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

We have had multiple 3rd down plays where the receiver ran the route short of the first down marker…

Exactly, and this is why I think he was ultimately let go

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It may not be many I guess that's subjective. There are some though. To me it's weak. It doesn't do anything. Literally nothing at all. And I understand ok you don't want to fire the ocbut you're cool with the same dumb play call literally the next game? Fix that. Making somebody a scape goat? I know nobody will believe it but this will damn sure hurt recruiting. For all we know it could hurt the locker room. Bunch of stuff to consider really.

But if you are making a point of suck play will not stand, then you do something to all of suck play. In what type of setting or what organization do you just single one person out when everything sucks and that's good? Then you want to preach family? If you didn't want him to coach and you wanted the other guy just hire him. He could've stayed at troy and been just fine. Ruin his reputation because a group and a team isn't that good when everybody knew that from the jump?

You definitely do something about the suck play. The question is what? I get that you don't like firing a guy mid season. I agree its extremely harsh and sucks for Corn and the WRs. But what do you do? Would you have fired the whole offensive staff? Just Bobo.....some other coach? Fire no one and Harsin gets more involved in day to day activities of the offense? 

The move lets everyone on the team know that poor play is not acceptable. And that you will be replaced if poor play continues. Same as when he benched Bo for TJ. I bet if poor play continues then we'll continue to see more players benched and coaches fired. Will it work...who knows?? It stinks but man i like to see a coach that is trying to fix the problems versus "we just need to try harder" mantra we used to hear. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, e808 said:

I don’t think he realized how serious people take football in the south. U can hear the stories but to experience it is another situation and the fans Saturday clearly let him know how serious it is.

Damn straight!  

The entire staff and roster got the message Saturday afternoon.  When fans have had it and boo players & coaches in JHS that says all it needs to say. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

You definitely do something about the suck play. The question is what? I get that you don't like firing a guy mid season. I agree its extremely harsh and sucks for Corn and the WRs. But what do you do? Would you have fired the whole offensive staff? Just Bobo.....some other coach? Fire no one and Harsin gets more involved in day to day activities of the offense? 

The move lets everyone on the team know that poor play is not acceptable. And that you will be replaced if poor play continues. Same as when he benched Bo for TJ. I bet if poor play continues then we'll continue to see more players benched and coaches fired. Will it work...who knows?? It stinks but man i like to see a coach that is trying to fix the problems versus "we just need to try harder" mantra we used to hear. 

How does it say that when you didn't fire the other guys that suck? You even alluded to well he can't fire the oc....well what's the whole point? This won't do anything but bring resentment. If you a CEO and you catch a crew not doing right you're just going to pick one guy out and not address everybody? 

No I wouldn't do that. That's not a good leader. But hey we'll see what happens. The oline coach sucked at his previous stop, he sucks now but he's fine? 

The players were put on notice by making a change and saying how you perform mattress. You should at least let that have an opportunity to manifest. 

I don't see it going well but I don't know like everybody else. I just know it doesn't make sense

Just now, cole256 said:

How does it say that when you didn't fire the other guys that suck? You even alluded to well he can't fire the oc....well what's the whole point? This won't do anything but bring resentment. If you a CEO and you catch a crew not doing right you're just going to pick one guy out and not address everybody? 

No I wouldn't do that. That's not a good leader. But hey we'll see what happens. The oline coach sucked at his previous stop, he sucks now but he's fine? 

The players were put on notice by making a change and saying how you perform mattress. You should at least let that have an opportunity to manifest. 

I don't see it going well but I don't know like everybody else. I just know it doesn't make sense

Are you saying that you would have preferred Harsin firing the whole offensive staff versus just firing Corn? 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Are you saying that you would have preferred Harsin firing the whole offensive staff versus just firing Corn? 

I told you if you going to make an impact many seem to think this did go after bobo, if you can't do that but your entire staff sucks then you don't fire anybody at all until somebody gets better. The least you could do is do your part and fix the QB to even effectively evaluate the wr group

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Are you saying you expect this will pick up the play of the o line the tight end, the d line and the secondary and the QB?

There's no way the locker room is in good shape.  Hell, they wouldn't back Bo on Saturday and a noticeable change of attitude with the players was seen when TJ came in.  

The "mental" part of the game is just as important as the physical.  We are about to hit the meat of the SEC, Harsin best have his players head in the right space.

Does he bring in sports psychologists, motivational speakers?   A professional to speak to the players and coach the mental part? 

• Like 1

Harsin pretty clearly didn't like the job Corn had been doing from the start.  He's been thinly veiled complaining about him since the first week of practice.  Fair to say receivers clearly haven't been on the same page as the rest of the offense the entire season, and even on that last game-winning drive & 2 point conversion it was a mess.  

I'm pretty indifferent about the firing & the timing.  He has a guy he trusts on staff, so why not take the chance? I don't think that group could play much worse anyway 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

There's no way the locker room is in good shape.  Hell, they wouldn't back Bo on Saturday and a noticeable change of attitude with the players was seen when TJ came in.  

The "mental" part of the game is just as important as the physical.  We are about to hit the meat of the SEC, Harsin best have his players head in the right space.

Does he bring in sports psychologists, motivational speakers?   A professional to speak to the players and coach the mental part? 

It's no way it's smart to do right now. And why don't we bring in great athletes. I've seen bammer have Kobe Bryant.....we could get somebody right lol. I can see us just using Bo and Barkley over and over. I just wish we'd stop being second rate

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

WWTLD? What would Ted Lasso do? ;)

I admit that I'm both very interested in the upcoming LSU game with TJ at the helm just to see if there's a noticeable difference out of the gate, and more than a little upset that I jumped the gun and paid too much $$ to watch our rears get handed to us against UGA after this past week's performance.

Edited by johnnyAU
spelling error
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Are you saying you expect this will pick up the play of the o line the tight end, the d line and the secondary and the QB?

Sorry i had missed where you said fire Bobo. I can get on board with that. Ultimately the offense fails on his shoulders and it all looks bad so he should take the fall if anyone. But i also see that as being a very extreme reaction. I imagine Harsin is hoping he can still salvage this season and that would be hard to do replacing the OC. 

Do i think firing Corn fixes all the offensive problems. It probably doesn't. But maybe just maybe it lights a fire under some of the coaches and players and they start playing better because of that. It could also divide the locker room and things get worse. 

Just now, gravejd said:

Sorry i had missed where you said fire Bobo. I can get on board with that. Ultimately the offense fails on his shoulders and it all looks bad so he should take the fall if anyone. But i also see that as being a very extreme reaction. I imagine Harsin is hoping he can still salvage this season and that would be hard to do replacing the OC. 

Do i think firing Corn fixes all the offensive problems. It probably doesn't. But maybe just maybe it lights a fire under some of the coaches and players and they start playing better because of that. It could also divide the locker room and things get worse. 

I think it's a much higher chance to divide. But if you think you have to fire a man to light a fire under your staff is that a staff that's going to take you anywhere? 

8 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

Harsin pretty clearly didn't like the job Corn had been doing from the start.  He's been thinly veiled complaining about him since the first week of practice.  Fair to say receivers clearly haven't been on the same page as the rest of the offense the entire season, and even on that last game-winning drive & 2 point conversion it was a mess.  

I'm pretty indifferent about the firing & the timing.  He has a guy he trusts on staff, so why not take the chance? I don't think that group could play much worse anyway 🤷‍♂️

If Harsin has been irked with him since the first week of practice then Harsin clearly whiffed on his evaluation. Maybe bring in someone to assist him if he isn’t getting it instead of letting it drag out. Because now u have people scratching their heads when clearly other experienced groups are just as bad or worse.

54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

A lot of logic in this post. I would add, Harsin has to be aware of the recruiting impact and potential locker room impact. I just can't, in my mind, make sense of firing if it was specifically based off the play of the WRs. I almost feel like there had to be something else. Something that we may never know. BTW, this is not a shot at Corn. I like him. He seems like a high character guy. Could have just been a bad fit. Who knows. It is done though. I hope Coach K can get this room whipped up into shape and I hope that Coach Corn lands a good gig somewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think it's a much higher chance to divide. But if you think you have to fire a man to light a fire under your staff is that a staff that's going to take you anywhere? 

I'd say Harsin is probably questioning a few of the hires he made. But this is the staff he has so all you can do is work with what you got. IMO this was the opening salvo that put everyone on notice. I things continue downward i predict whole sale changes are coming. I see the logic in trying this before going nuclear and blowing the whole thing up and starting fresh. 

Just now, cole256 said:

It's no way it's smart to do right now. And why don't we bring in great athletes. I've seen bammer have Kobe Bryant.....we could get somebody right lol. I can see us just using Bo and Barkley over and over. I just wish we'd stop being second rate

Alabama has an entire staff of mental conditioning people.  The head of Psychology at UA and his staff + graduate students for the university evaluate every player the moment they come on campus.  A fantastic way to use the schools resources that are already on campus to evaluate every players psychological make-up.  Then you know what motivates them, you know how the best discipline to use when needed and you know how to work with them one-on-one.   They firmly believe in Mental Conditioning - the high profile professional athletes and speakers they bring in only reinforce the importance of the mental aspect of the athlete.

As focused and "attention to detail" as Harsin is said to be, I'm sure he's implemented something similar.      Lord knows, AU has enough psychologist on payroll for the everyday student (especially freshmen) that he could have them pulled into the football program to work with the student-athletes.  Just a thought.   

• Like 1

Just now, gravejd said:

I'd say Harsin is probably questioning a few of the hires he made. But this is the staff he has so all you can do is work with what you got. IMO this was the opening salvo that put everyone on notice. I things continue downward i predict whole sale changes are coming. I see the logic in trying this before going nuclear and blowing the whole thing up and starting fresh. 

If he were to make wholesale changes mid season.....I don't know how I would feel about that honestly lol. It is a conundrum to me. On one hand....If they aint getting the job done then find somebody who can and if its bad enough you feel you can't wait until end of season then ok. On the other hand....what an awful look for a first year HC at a top 15 CFB program.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If he were to make wholesale changes mid season.....I don't know how I would feel about that honestly lol. It is a conundrum to me. On one hand....If they aint getting the job done then find somebody who can and if its bad enough you feel you can't wait until end of season then ok. On the other hand....what an awful look for a first year HC at a top 15 CFB program.

I think you wait until the offseason if you decide the nuclear option is the way to go. 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

I think you wait until the offseason if you decide the nuclear option is the way to go. 

Well yea....that would be the norm. I would also think CBH would have waited to fire a position coach until the offseason if it was not scandal or conduct related, but that was not the case either as you know lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

If Harsin has been irked with him since the first week of practice then Harsin clearly whiffed on his evaluation. Maybe bring in someone to assist him if he isn’t getting it instead of letting it drag out. Because now u have people scratching their heads when clearly other experienced groups are just as bad or worse.

Don't disagree on the whiff.  And maybe that's why Boise guy was brought in as an "analyst", but it sounds like that just lead to a short leash for Corn.

In any event, it's been what, 15 years since we've had consistently good WR play?  Not sure why that particular position has struggled so much across multiple coaching staffs.

19 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

WWTLD? What would Ted Lasso do? ;)

I admit that I'm both very interested in the upcoming LSU game with TJ at the helm just to see if there's a noticeable difference out of the gate, and more than a little upset that I jumped the gun and paid too much $$ to watch our rears get handed to us against UGA after this past week's performance.

D4232432-54F4-4269-9959-791ED5AAF005.gif

BE8C284A-B7B0-4545-A3A7-9C7B6FB920CC.gif

42784C15-EE05-4749-AE95-FD78AC9B1E04.gif

F465AB30-0D62-4054-B962-295D5B757E9E.gif

• Like 1