WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

37 minutes ago, God Cam It said:

For those without Twitter. AU Goldmine Tweet - 

"Bryan Harsin said there's been some plays in which Auburn has had only 10 players on the field." 

Been saying this was the icing on the cake. 

• Like 2

Perhaps Coach Corn has not been able to keep his receivers focused and prepared on the sidelines. 🤷‍♀️ That would be on the receivers, too. Coach Harsin is really into disciplined play and being prepared.  I could see how that would get under his skin badly.  Either he fired Coach Williams for being unable to do the job or purely to get those receivers’ attention. Who knows.  It will be very interesting to see what happens with that group.  

• Like 2

I haven't read through all the posts but Williams lost it on Harsin during half time in front of other coaches and players.

As I understand, Cadillac stands behind Harsin for his actions. 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It was once but if you really want to see it a bunch watch the secondary during the psu game

I believe you. I don’t want to go rewatch the Penn State game ha ha. Makes me sick. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, cole256 said:

Lol nothing is a bigger stretch than the he coached desean Jackson in college thing. Has anybody watched him play? You know why he's good? He's fast. He's so fast that he got old and is still one of the fastest in the NFL. He's a deep threat. He's no technician. Anybody could've coached him.

Ok Desean run straight! Actually if I was a coach that's how I would pick my job. See a future Calvin Jackson.....oh yeah that's head coach written all over it 😂

He only coached DeSean Jackson for one season as a True Freshman. But you are highly misrepresenting DeSean Jackson: lots of guys in the NFL are as fast as him and ultimately didn't do anything. He is incredibly frail and still managed to create separation, as well as being very sure-handed. There are guys like John Ross, Marquise Goodwin, etc, etc. who have already shown that it's much harder than just "run straight".

However, Eric Kiesau spent MUCH more time with Keenan Allen when he returned to Cal - who absolutely was/is a "technician" at WR and is a 4x Pro Bowler in the NFL.

At Boise State they had two guys who were extremely productive and were drafted under him. He also spent two years as the WR coach for their current star receiver Khalil Shakir who is VERY VERY good. He is tearing it up as a Senior and is very likely a Top 3 round pick, if not a 1st round pick if he runs fast enough.

The track record there speaks for itself.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Again there are so many people speculating  one way or the other. Maybe he deserved it. Maybe he didn’t. Unless you were in the room, nobody knows.

It is the HC’s responsibility to run this program. Time will tell if he made the right decision or not. Time to move on to LSU. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol nothing is a bigger stretch than the he coached desean Jackson in college thing. Has anybody watched him play? You know why he's good? He's fast. He's so fast that he got old and is still one of the fastest in the NFL. He's a deep threat. He's no technician. Anybody could've coached him.

Ok Desean run straight! Actually if I was a coach that's how I would pick my job. See a future Calvin Jackson.....oh yeah that's head coach written all over it 😂

So what's funny is he wasn't even DeSean WR coach when he had his best seasons.

The two years after this new guy left California were Jackson's two all American years. He only coached him as a freshman 😀

Cole, I respect your take on all things.   Hear me on this. You have noted several times that we have had to run dbs onto the field late in the play clock and equated that to running wrs onto the field late in the play clock.  In turn you have used that fact to suggest the defensive secondary coach and coach Mason are just as culpable, if you will, as Coach Williams.  I think the two, in most cases are different.   On offense, as soon as the prior play is completed (and often even before then) and before the ball gets officially reset and the play clock winds, the O coaches are already discussing/calling the next play call.  The offense has, if not the entire play clock, at least most of it to get the correct personnel on the field for the play that is called.   The offense is almost always dictating vs reacting.  On the other hand, the defense is almost always reacting and doing so with less time on the play clock.  The defense, most often, has to react to both down and distance as well as the personnel sent on the field by the offense.   And again, they are doing it with less time.  Thus, I think it is more reasonable to expect your offense to get the correct people on the field, with the correct spacing, 100 times out of 100.  

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, metafour said:

However, Eric Kiesau spent MUCH more time with Keenan Allen when he returned to Cal - who absolutely was/is a "technician" at WR and is a 4x Pro Bowler in the NFL.

A single season, just like D Jax??

Edited by W.E.D

8 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Cole, I respect your take on all things.   Hear me on this. You have noted several times that we have had to run dbs onto the field late in the play clock and equated that to running wrs onto the field late in the play clock.  In turn you have used that fact to suggest the defensive secondary coach and coach Mason are just as culpable, if you will, as Coach Williams.  I think the two, in most cases are different.   On offense, as soon as the prior play is completed (and often even before then) and before the ball gets officially reset and the play clock winds, the O coaches are already discussing/calling the next play call.  The offense has, if not the entire play clock, at least most of it to get the correct personnel on the field for the play that is called.   The offense is almost always dictating vs reacting.  On the other hand, the defense is almost always reacting and doing so with less time on the play clock.  The defense, most often, has to react to both down and distance as well as the personnel sent on the field by the offense.   And again, they are doing it with less time.  Thus, I think it is more reasonable to expect your offense to get the correct people on the field, with the correct spacing, 100 times out of 100.  

From their position group performance, Mason and Ethridge are doing terribly. Especially taking talent and experience into account  

Edited by W.E.D

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Absolutely I'm aware of all of that. You seem to be sensible and knowledgeable and if so you know that the play is being completely blown out of proportion as this happens all of the time. Even to the best programs. People are essentially trying to say you deserve to get fired for a fumble.

Then if we really look into it, for whatever reason D rob wasn't playing. This causes a disruption out of the norm. Once again we're dealing with guys who have no starts, very minimal playing time, somebody was getting a bunch of time that usually doesn't play, and it just so happen the guy that was late coming out is a guy who is new to the wr position not just for playing time but new to playing the position period.

I can deal with the we don't know one way or the other, but the searching and blowing small things to try to justify is something completely different. So I'm not just going to sit back and read stuff that has much more to it without pointing it out. I'm not going to argue opinions but I'm going to point out the details. If we pull out the micro scope and talk about all the stuff EVERYBODY did wrong, it's going to take awhile. 

Thanks for notcoming in and insulting me for no reason. I look forward to talking to you!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So what's funny is he wasn't even DeSean WR coach when he had his best seasons.

The two years after this new guy left California were Jackson's two all American years. He only coached him as a freshman 😀

And trust me when I tell you this made somebody mad that you looked up what actually took place

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

A single season, just like D Jax??

Good call, it was only one season. But by your logic, 2011 was his "BEST SEASON" and Kiesau was not only the WR coach, but also Passing Game Coordinator. He had more yards in 2011 than in either of his other two seasons combined.

Two guys from Boise drafted in a 3 year span (I assume these were 2-3 star marginal recruits) and the best one under him is on display right now and is one of the best receivers in this draft.

To have 3 of your receivers make the NFL from Boise State is highly indicative. If you haven't seen the Shakir kid play, he looks like Odell Beckham Jr. 

• Like 2

All of this means nothing if we don’t see improvement . Also d jax is a freak of nature . Trooper Taylor could coach him to success 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, metafour said:

He only coached DeSean Jackson for one season as a True Freshman. But you are highly misrepresenting DeSean Jackson: lots of guys in the NFL are as fast as him and ultimately didn't do anything. He is incredibly frail and still managed to create separation, as well as being very sure-handed. There are guys like John Ross, Marquise Goodwin, etc, etc. who have already shown that it's much harder than just "run straight".

At Boise State they had two guys who were extremely productive and were drafted under him. He also spent two years as the WR coach for their current star receiver Khalil Shakir who is VERY VERY good. He is tearing it up as a Senior and is very likely a Top 3 round pick, if not a 1st round pick if he runs fast enough.

The track record there speaks for itself.

Keenan Allen is a much better example as he was a highly recruited safety, but as far as Jackson of course he's not the fastest man on earth but he's a deep threat. That's his purpose, nobody coached his natural physical gifts. Just today some analyst said if you don't throw to him deep at least 2 times then they wouldn't understand why he's on the roster

1 hour ago, God Cam It said:

The dude is smart. 

https: //youtu.be/QyziQqp2lMI

Thanks for sharing - you are right.   Very well spoken and seems like he has put several players in the NFL recently.   

The season and the WR group is still salvageable.   But the clock is ticking...

Maybe it has been mentioned but one thing to consider is Harsin likely doesn't have the power to fire assistant coaches on his own primarily because of the financial cost and contracts. He is their boss but to fire somebody, he almost certainly has to run that through the AD and legal teams to get it okayed. And I doubt the AD would okay throwing away the money on CW's contract just because the receivers were playing poorly or because Harsin simply wanted to send a message 4 games into the season. 

My thought is something was likely done or said that can't be allowed in the relationship between an employee and boss. How many time has it been said in this thread that the receivers are not the only group struggling. So logic says something occurred between Harsin and CW that forced Harsin's hand.  

• Like 4

Like you Cole I wish the forum had less insults and more honest debates.  And hey, please don't spend one more second worried/concerned about forum insults.   You know you.   People, particularly anonymously, will often resort to the lowest common denominator.  Keep bringing what you bring and ignore the non-sense.   BTW, this is still one heck of a site.  I have been lurking for years.  WED, I agree the back end is not getting it done.   But, it is hard to cover for 5, 6, 7 seconds.  At PSU we had zero sacks and one hurry IN 60 MINUTES of football.  Some of that was scheme, but more of it was we have not had an elite pass rusher since Jeff Holland declared early.   No defense anywhere will be good if it can't, at least occasionally, generate pressure on/make the qb uncomfortable without having to blitz.   We made a mid-level qb look like Señor Brady because we NEVER made him uncomfortable.  Bama won a natty in 92 almost solely because it had 2 elite pass rushers (go look at Sara Evans' husband's stats in that game).  We gripe, rightfully, on this site all the time about our oline and oline recruiting.   But I posit that just as harmful is our edge rush situation/recruiting.  In years past, we were salty, created turnovers, etc. etc. because we could hit the qb.  "Honk if you sacked Brody."   Until we get that fixed...

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, metafour said:

Good call, it was only one season. But by your logic, 2011 was his "BEST SEASON" and Kiesau was not only the WR coach, but also Passing Game Coordinator. He had more yards in 2011 than in either of his other two seasons combined.

Two guys from Boise drafted in a 3 year span (I assume these were 2-3 star marginal recruits) and the best one under him is on display right now and is one of the best receivers in this draft.

To have 3 of your receivers make the NFL from Boise State is highly indicative. If you haven't seen the Shakir kid play, he looks like Odell Beckham Jr. 

Right I was only replying to the timing. 

He seems to have a decent resume and he's worked under Harsin a lot so should k know how to work with him...which might be the most important part.

We'll see how it translate

42 minutes ago, Builder said:

I haven't read through all the posts but Williams lost it on Harsin during half time in front of other coaches and players.

Where was this reported, or was it on camera, or is it pure speculation? Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

All of this means nothing if we don’t see improvement . Also d jax is a freak of nature . Trooper Taylor could coach him to success 

We've had WRs running open all season. I wouldn't be shocked if they look better simply bc a different QB is getting them the ball.

But if there was a serious issue with alignment and missing players on the field, it might be harder for us to tell

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Point Harsin 

Not only are we missing an 11th player, the WRs are lined up wrong in this photo.  The slot receiver on the left is covered up by the wide-out, making him ineligible.  Yes, the wide-out is a little further back than the slot, but he is definitely on the line of scrimmage.  He is at the same depth as the LG and LT.  I would have to replay the game to see the result of this play, but alignment issues and playing with only 10 men on the same play points to their position coach.  You play how you practice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harsin laid the law down. Now the other coaches are so scared they are going to coach even harder. So now the next time we call the fade play on the 3 yard line the wr play will improve

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Harsin laid the law down. Now the other coaches are so scared they are going to coach even harder. So now the next time we call the fade play on the 3 yard line the wr play will improve

Nah....

Harsin, who made sure to note that firing a coach and a coworker is never easy, sternly denied that firing Williams had anything to do with sending a message to his program about his seriousness and commitment to success.“It’s about things that I felt like we needed to do,” Harsin said. “It’s really about the whole idea that this program is built off of is that we continue to get better. That’s really what it was about. You (don’t) make decisions like that as a head football coach so you can just go out there and just send a message. You make calculated decisions that you feel like are best for the team.”

• Like 2