WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

8 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Nah....

Harsin, who made sure to note that firing a coach and a coworker is never easy, sternly denied that firing Williams had anything to do with sending a message to his program about his seriousness and commitment to success.“It’s about things that I felt like we needed to do,” Harsin said. “It’s really about the whole idea that this program is built off of is that we continue to get better. That’s really what it was about. You (don’t) make decisions like that as a head football coach so you can just go out there and just send a message. You make calculated decisions that you feel like are best for the team.”

That's what the guys been saying and you liked a bunch.....But ok 😂

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's what the guys been saying and you liked a bunch.....But ok 😂

It was a dumb cheesy pseudo macho tough guy persona many long for.  It's not true leadership and I'm glad the idea has been put to bed.  It never made and sense and it was a bad look from anyone thing it was some pure statement firing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Like you Cole I wish the forum had less insults and more honest debates.  And hey, please don't spend one more second worried/concerned about forum insults.   You know you.   People, particularly anonymously, will often resort to the lowest common denominator.  Keep bringing what you bring and ignore the non-sense.   BTW, this is still one heck of a site.  I have been lurking for years.  WED, I agree the back end is not getting it done.   But, it is hard to cover for 5, 6, 7 seconds.  At PSU we had zero sacks and one hurry IN 60 MINUTES of football.  Some of that was scheme, but more of it was we have not had an elite pass rusher since Jeff Holland declared early.   No defense anywhere will be good if it can't, at least occasionally, generate pressure on/make the qb uncomfortable without having to blitz.   We made a mid-level qb look like Señor Brady because we NEVER made him uncomfortable.  Bama won a natty in 92 almost solely because it had 2 elite pass rushers (go look at Sara Evans' husband's stats in that game).  We gripe, rightfully, on this site all the time about our oline and oline recruiting.   But I posit that just as harmful is our edge rush situation/recruiting.  In years past, we were salty, created turnovers, etc. etc. because we could hit the qb.  "Honk if you sacked Brody."   Until we get that fixed...

Post more often. You have already offered more than most on here. 

From a long time lurker, fairly new poster, who is glad he is posting ... most of the time. 

• Like 2

Here's my working theory. Corn wasn't performing to Harsin's expectations AND it was killing Harsin to know he had a great WR coach, who he knows and trusts, sitting right in front of him. Harsin was reasonably frustrated after Saturday's game and ready to make a change. It was mostly wrong place, wrong time for Corn.

This may seem too simple or obvious. But the answer usually is. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Where was this reported, or was it on camera, or is it pure speculation? Asking for a friend.

It's what I'm hearing as well. So in addition to underperforming (like many of our coaches thus far), it appears that Corn also doubled down by showing up his boss in front of the troops. That will get you fired pretty much 10 out of 10 times in any job where you haven't established yourself yet. That's why it was him and not Friend or someone else. Plus having plays where the WRs didn't even know they were supposed to be on the field etc. 

Edit - I'm not trying to spin this as a positive. It's not a good look for Harsin to have to fire someone he just hired, and the timing isn't great for recruiting either. 

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Where was this reported, or was it on camera, or is it pure speculation? Asking for a friend.

Tell your friend these things are rarely reported, there were no cameras and def not speculation. The best thing is the players accepted it. They respect Harsin. I wasn't there but do know several that were. There will be no backlash from his firing over payouts etc. IMO he is lucky to get anything for being insubordinate. I never liked the hire to start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Here's my working theory. Corn wasn't performing to Harsin's expectations AND it was killing Harsin to know he had a great WR coach, who he knows and trusts, sitting right in front of him. Harsin was reasonably frustrated after Saturday's game and ready to make a change. It was mostly wrong place, wrong time for Corn.

This may seem too simple or obvious. But the answer usually is. 

This sound like the most reasonable take I’ve read. Make a lot of sense to me. People are upset about the timing, 4 games in yada yada (not sure why), but harsin likely understands his environment and he might not have them luxury to wait until the end of the year to make this change when, as you said, he has a guy he KNOWS can do the job well on the staff.

great take. Great post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Builder said:

Tell your friend these things are rarely reported, there were no cameras and def not speculation. The best thing is the players accepted it. They respect Harsin. I wasn't there but do know several that were. There will be no backlash from his firing over payouts etc. IMO he is lucky to get anything for being insubordinate. I never liked the hire to start.

If what you're saying is true, they should offer him a reduced buyout or fire him for cause. Don't want it to blow up more publicly than necessary, but can't have coaches showing up the head man and getting a full buyout

16 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I was told it didn't happen.  Plus, that seems like something some Auburn news outlet would have mentioned.  I remember that being a thing with Kevin Steele and various OCs as well - reporting on whether they'd be in the booth or not and then reporting if a unit was struggling and that changed.  

Thanks for the info. Any idea who that would’ve been on the sidelines? I reconnected, (over the phone) since I’m overseas, with my son and good friend, they still think it was him. 🤷‍♂️ Just passing on what they told me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Thanks for the info. Any idea who that would’ve been on the sidelines? I reconnected, (over the phone) since I’m overseas, with my son and good friend, they still think it was him. 🤷‍♂️ Just passing on what they told me.

Why do you keep telling us you are overseas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Get your facts straight....

There is a difference.

✊🏿

Edited by cole256

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

It was once but if you really want to see it a bunch watch the secondary during the psu game

I rewatched today. It happened twice where a receiver didn't know whether to stay or go.   One had to be pulled off by a coach. Also mentioned, a couple of guys were lined up,wrong. 

21 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I rewatched today. It happened twice where a receiver didn't know whether to stay or go.   One had to be pulled off by a coach. Also mentioned, a couple of guys were lined up,wrong. 

Lol ok. When you can direct me to them let me know!

Edited by cole256

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Your questions are simply brilliant; just thought you should know.

My favorite question is when you asked me to "compare portfolios" because we disagreed about a football game. 

11 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

This also:

We might never know why the ultimate decision came, but after the last two weeks, the play of the wide receivers has been a concern. Dropped passes, running of wrong routes and other mental mistakes that Auburn can't afford were apparent in the loss to Penn State and a comeback victory over Georgia State. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/harsin-on-williams-dismissal-a-change-needed-to-be-made-

• Like 2

Just now, cbo said:

My favorite question is when you asked me to "compare portfolios" because we disagreed about a football game. 

More literary genius on your part; please keep it up, you are good entertainment for the board.

Since you insist on a urinating contest: you questioned my finances (which you know nothing about, nor have anything to do with college football) so I responded.