WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

Just now, cole256 said:

I've been waiting. Nobody didn't ask Harsin. Isn't that weird? Your best guy doesn't play and nobody cares? Especially when you start talking production and the microscope is on the wr's....maybe the editor needs to be fired over these reporters as well 😂

Since I'm not connected I guess I have to assume Corn hated the guy and wouldn't play him and that's why we almost lost.  😒

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

They were missing "a" starter (Shed Jackson - a senior - is also a starter).  Whether he's actually their best player is still up in the air.  He's been inconsistent to say the least.

But there were several mistakes, not just the one by Caylin.

Granted.  At the same time we've also seen a LOT of situations where the WRs have not helped the QBs at all.  Just in the Penn St game, going through the 16 incompletions by Nix, at least six of them hit the WR in the hands and should have been caught.  Another 3 or 4 throws were throws to a spot where the receiver wasn't where he was expected to be (including the one PSU almost had a pick six on - the coaches were chewing out Shenker on that one for not running his route correctly).  There were a couple of obvious throwaways by Nix.  And there were probably about 4 throws where Nix just missed the guy - overthrows and such.

That's a high percentage of passes Nix didn't complete that weren't about the QB "not being the best."  Even if say 3 of the 6 passes that hit their hands are brought in, and say 2 of the 4 that were thrown to a spot, the receiver is there like he's supposed to be, how many drives does that keep going?  How much better do Nix's stats look with 5 additional completions?

Agreed.  Shed Jackson and/or Robertson, as seniors, ought to be able to step into that role though.  But they have their own issues.  Hard to preach to the younger ones when you're dropping balls and stumbling on routes yourself.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here.

I don't agree with those numbers at all the Penn st game. I went and watched it over before saying stuff I said about the game there were 3 bad drops. 4 if you want to do Bo a favor.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You said yourself in your previous post that the defense got better when a single player came back on the field. You are not acknowledging the severe discrepancy in available talent and experience that Williams was trying to work with versus what the defensive staff is working with. Zakoby McClain might be one of the best four or five players on the team. And many of the other best players on the team are also on defense. Smoke Monday actually just said in a press conference that they didn't change anything schematically on defense in the second half of that game. 

And you are absolutely assuming just as much as anyone else is. Which is totally fine. That is the point.

I guess I don't understand how you don't see a difference in assuming a coach at this level (not named Gus) generally makes big decisions like this for good reasons unless he's given you reason to question that vs assuming a coach is unfairly targeting one coach while not holding others to the same expectations.  It seems kinda like a Occam's Razor situation to me - the simplest explanation is usually the best one.

• Haha 1

Just now, AUDevil said:

Since I'm not connected I guess I have to assume Corn hated the guy and wouldn't play him and that's why we almost lost.  😒

Randy wouldn't have caught those high throws😂. We could've suited up and we'd be on the depth chart

And let's be real....You guys really think we're talented at wr? Come on man. Hoover high school in their prime had more talent

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, several former Auburn wide receivers- including one who lives in Auburn and goes to every game- are asking the exact same questions that Cole is. 

Now if anybody don't know s*** about football and the going on it's a former player. We know more. I have told this by 5 different people. Not exaggerating or being an ass

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't agree with those numbers at all the Penn st game. I went and watched it over before saying stuff I said about the game there were 3 bad drops. 4 if you want to do Bo a favor.

There were literally six passes that hit receivers in the hands that weren't brought in.  I allowed for the possibility that half of them would have been difficult, so only three actually brought in.  That sounds awful close to your "3 (or 4) bad drops."  What's the disagreement here?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I guess I don't understand how you don't see a difference in assuming a coach at this level (not named Gus) generally makes big decisions like this for good reasons unless he's given you reason to question that vs assuming a coach is unfairly targeting one coach while not holding others to the same expectations.  It seems kinda like a Occam's Razor situation to me - the simplest explanation is usually the best one.

You seriously don't think favoritism and nepotism are an issue in the sport?

I'm not even saying that is the case here but for you to be so dismissive of it is very odd to me.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And let's be real....You guys really think we're talented at wr? Come on man. Hoover high school in their prime had more talent

All I know is that they were highly rated players.

5-stars
Robertson

4-stars
Javarrious Johnson
Hudson
Capers
JJ Evans
Malcolm Johnson
Dawson

3-stars
Canion
Newton (converted QB)
Shed Jackson

The main issue is youth.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Randy wouldn't have caught those high throws😂. We could've suited up and we'd be on the depth chart

That dude thinks he's being clever and things he just made a really smart comment.

As for DRob, there's been a lot of talk about one play in the Penn State game where he ducked contact and didn't catch a catchable ball. I could see Harsin benching him for that if accurate.

Edited by McLoofus

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The main issue is youth.

So you do acknowledge that Williams was working with less than what the defensive staff is working with. Good.

By the way, just about all of these are Gus guys. There's a reason they went and got robertson. We were told back in spring that there isn't a true wide receiver one in the group. Recruiting stars or not, there are issues beyond just youth. This would be another good time for you to employ Occam's razor.

Edited by McLoofus

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You seriously don't think favoritism and nepotism are an issue in the sport?

I'm not even saying that is the case here but for you to be so dismissive of it is very odd to me.

There's two groupings of considerations here:

1) Literally all possibilities including favoritism, nepotism, didn't like Corn's face, and Harsin being a rash and capricious dickhead.
2) The possibilities that seem likely based on Harsin's history and what we've watched on the field so far.

Maybe it's within the realm of possibility that Harsin was just looking for a reason to elevate his guy.  But I don't know that there's any evidence to make that the most reasonable assumption to make.  Literally nothing in his history to suggest he's rash in his decision making or treats people on his staff unfairly based on their history with him. 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yep.  Starting to look like we're in deep @$@# for SEC play.  Can't get the ball to the few playmakers we have.  Starting to think most of our roster is not ready or will never be ready for SEC play.  One LB can't play and the entire D looks like crap?  Are we ready for a 3 year rebuild?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

All I know is that they were highly rated players.

5-stars
Robertson

4-stars
Javarrious Johnson
Hudson
Capers
JJ Evans
Malcolm Johnson
Dawson

3-stars
Canion
Newton (converted QB)
Shed Jackson

The main issue is youth.

Hell we have a 5 star QB. O line 3-4 stars and we were whipped by ga st. 

But have you seen a play by a wr where it was man he jumped high or wow he's super shifty. Do you have any faith Jackson can out jump guys for the ball? Our best hope is canion and capers. As far as athletic attributes nobody has any reason to think we have alpha athletes at we. They aren't physically opposing or nothing. We have slot guys as our number 1

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That dude thinks he's being clever and things he just made a really smart comment.

As for DRob, there's been a lot of talk about one play in the Penn State game where he ducked contact and didn't catch a catchable ball. I could see Harsin benching him for that if accurate.

Ahhhh. We can all agree if the number 1 for the first 3 games doesn't play that could cause a flux in everything. And if we are preparing more for LSU than the upcoming game then inexperienced guys could make some mistakes. I hope we can agree

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

So you do acknowledge that Williams was working with less than what the defensive staff is working with. Good.

He's working with less experience.  

By the way, just about all of these are Gus guys. There's a reason they went and got robertson. We were told back in spring that there isn't a true wide receiver one in the group. Recruiting stars or not, there are issues beyond just youth. This would be another good time for you to employ Occam's razor.

Even taking into account whether they're talented enough to just beat DBs and get separate or win fights for contested balls, some of these problems aren't related to athletic ability.  It's attention to detail.  Even low-rated try-hards can consistently line up correctly, make the right route reads, and run crisp routes for instance.  We couldn't even consistently do that.  And there have a been several drops on top of those issues.

Given the choice of believing Harsin just chose to capriciously be mean to Corn while letting others off the hook - I just don't see reasonable evidence for such a belief.  

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There's two groupings of considerations here:

1) Literally all possibilities including favoritism, nepotism, didn't like Corn's face, and Harsin being a rash and capricious dickhead.
2) The possibilities that seem likely based on Harsin's history and what we've watched on the field so far.

Maybe it's within the realm of possibility that Harsin was just looking for a reason to elevate his guy.  But I don't know that there's any evidence to make that the most reasonable assumption to make.  Literally nothing in his history to suggest he's rash in his decision making or treats people on his staff unfairly based on their history with him. 

Has anybody told you that your assumption is invalid? Even though you're implying that you literally know the story on every hiring and firing Harsin has conducted? 

That's the difference here. Just let the fair questions be asked and you're free to entertain your own. 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Did you hear a rumor that we might take up to 5 WRs in the 2022 class? I did.

Even taking into account whether they're talented enough to just beat DBs and get separate or win fights for contested balls, some of these problems aren't related to athletic ability.  It's attention to detail.  Even low-rated try-hards can consistently line up correctly, make the right route reads, and run crisp routes for instance.  We couldn't even consistently do that.  And there have a been several drops on top of those issues.

Okay, now you're talking in circles. Because our defensive backfield is absolutely filthy with talent and they've had the same issues. 

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Given the choice of believing Harsin just chose to capriciously be mean to Corn while letting others off the hook - I just don't see reasonable evidence for such a belief.  

But clearly it's worth wondering and discussing ...I'm not over here saying anything stupid am I? I feel like I'm thinking of stuff many have not. I'm being now open and detailed about the situation. I shouldn't be ridiculed as if I'm having dumb takes. I could possibly open some eyes to what others may not have thought about

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

Did you hear a rumor that we might take up to 5 WRs in the 2022 class? I did.

Okay, now you're talking in circles. Because our defensive backfield is absolutely filthy with talent and they've had the same issues. 

minus hb do we have any NFL guys on offense?

Edited by cole256

I feel like Harsin is either going to boom or bust at Auburn.  There will be no in-between.  Either he knocks this thing out of the park and earns legendary status or Auburn fans run him out of town and he becomes the most hated coach in our history.

I don't really like that he is slowly making this thing all Boise State coaches.  We need some variety.  We blasted Malzahn for staying within his tree and never branching out, and I feel like Harsin is doing the same thing.

Has anybody told you that your assumption is invalid? Even though you're implying that you literally know the story on every hiring and firing Harsin has conducted? 

That's the difference here. Just let the fair questions be asked and you're free to entertain your own. 

If I wasn't letting the "fair questions" be asked, why would they still be showing up on the site?  I would have deleted them.  I let the questions be asked, I just don't agree that they're reasonable given what we know and said so.

As far as knowing Harsin's hiring/firing history, of course I don't know it exhaustively.  But I know that he's never fired a coach midseason before.  I know that every Boise guy that people have talked to said if anything, Harsin was the opposite of quick triggered with his staff up there - that he tended to stick with guys that most of the fans thought should have been jettisoned much earlier.

I mean, are you aware of something he's done before that would contradict that?  Do you think it's reasonable to assume he just rashly chops heads without something like that to point to?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

But clearly it's worth wondering and discussing ...I'm not over here saying anything stupid am I? I feel like I'm think of stuff many have not. I'm being now open and detailed about the situation. I shouldn't be ridiculed as if I'm having dumb takes. I could possibly open some eyes to what others may not have thought about

That's the issue here. I'm not even agreeing with you. I'm just not disagreeing without knowing any more than you do. 

And I'm certainly not trying to pretend our WR corps is even remotely in the same conversation as our defense when it comes to experience or talent. And they certainly don't approach our offensive line when it comes to experience. 

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And for some reason he didn't play, which it's interesting it hasn't came out why by now

It's odd it hasn't really been talked about