WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

30 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But there were several mistakes,

Can you list them for us rank and file ignorant posters?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If I wasn't letting the "fair questions" be asked, why would they still be showing up on the site?  I would have deleted them.  I let the questions be asked, I just don't agree that they're reasonable given what we know and said so.

Wow. You're gonna flash the mod badge when I was clearly speaking figuratively. That's unfortunate. 

As far as knowing Harsin's hiring/firing history, of course I don't know it exhaustively. But I know that he's never fired a coach midseason before.  I know that every Boise guy that people have talked to said if anything, Harsin was the opposite of quick triggered with his staff up there - that he tended to stick with guys that most of the fans thought should have been jettisoned much earlier.

And which part of that contradicts the notion that he might have made decisions based on reasons you consider illegitimate? Just because he waited until the end of the season?

I mean, are you aware of something he's done before that would contradict that?  Do you think it's reasonable to assume he just rashly chops heads without something like that to point to?

I'm not aware of any more than you are. That's what I keep trying to tell you. Just about anything is on the table.

I'm just really surprised that you still view college football as this unimpeachable bastion of rational thought that you seem to.

40 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And for some reason he didn't play, which it's interesting it hasn't came out why by now

33 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Do you know?  No one can answer this question?

I can't answer the question,   but it made me suspect this may be part of the reason for the firing?

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But clearly it's worth wondering and discussing ...I'm not over here saying anything stupid am I? I feel like I'm thinking of stuff many have not. I'm being now open and detailed about the situation. I shouldn't be ridiculed as if I'm having dumb takes. I could possibly open some eyes to what others may not have thought about

I haven't used the word "dumb" regarding your takes.  I haven't even suggested such a thing.  Saying that I don't think a take is reasonable given the overall evidence is not the same as saying it's dumb.

I think it's highly unusual to fire a guy midseason, especially if there isn't some off the field issue like misconduct or insubordination.  Harsin says it's performance related.  He's never fired a guy midseason before.  He doesn't have a reputation for firing guys quickly (precisely the opposite actually from everything I've seen).  So for him to do that, I think that he had to have seen something especially problematic from a coaching standpoint that, even with some of the struggles at other positions, he felt was worse and/or unfixable with that coach staying in place.

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe Corn is being treated unfairly, though I don't think he could actually argue that getting fired for his job performance thus far is actually unfair - just that perhaps others should have been let go too.  I just think that without something more than what we know and what we can see from Harsin's track record, that's not as good of an assumption to make as what I've put out there.

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

See this is the problem I feel with jumping in on someone else argument or picking a side. There hasn't been one person I've had a back and forth with about this that isn't a person that follows me around and is angry about something we argued about literally years ago. Not one person so it's absolutely without a shadow of doubt they don't get it......

Second if you're not going to discuss it, you just coming in and saying it's more doesn't make you right. It's not a final say so. 

Lastly you completely misrepresented me when you got upset over nothing. I haven't been saying all coaches should be fired. I haven't made fun of anybody. Me not agreeing with you shouldn't upset you.  Even talking about a wr messing up once or twice is stupid to me as I can point out constant missed blocks, constant missed tackles, constant horrible throws, constant db's running in late, constant pass interferences,  constant blown coverages.....

And once again if anybody should bemaking mistakes it's the wr's. Everybody going out of their way to stretch bad stuff they don't know about I haven't seen one person besides myself talk about reasonable thingslike the wrbeing the most inexperienced group. And to me that explains alot.

At least listen to me and understand what I'm saying before getting angry and disagreeing. It wouldn't make any sense to be angry at me about something I never said. You're like the fourth person to that

Really... ? I'm not trying to jump on this. I was trying to correct something that you said someone was incorrect and lol'd them. 

I applaud you for going thirty pages on this topic but I'm moving on. We should move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Can you list them for us rank and file ignorant posters?

It's been mentioned several times in various threads and around the interwebs.  Even without getting into detailed intricacies that only coaches might know, we've clearly seen a lot of drops through 4 games.  Not just "grazed his fingertips" type of things, but well placed throws hitting people in the hands or bouncing off their chests kind of drops.  I've seen multiple times where WRs we had to run a guy on the field late or WRs had to be moved into the correct positions pre-snap.  I've seen situations of miscommunication on where a route should be run or a throw to a spot where the receiver isn't there.  If even half of those are misreads by the WRs it's way too many. 

If the rank and file can see those things, do you think that's really all the issues a head coach might see in practices and on the sidelines?

I mean, is this really a question?  Is anyone actually doubting this stuff?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I haven't used the word "dumb" regarding your takes.  I haven't even suggested such a thing.  Saying that I don't think a take is reasonable given the overall evidence is not the same as saying it's dumb.

I think it's highly unusual to fire a guy midseason, especially if there isn't some off the field issue like misconduct or insubordination.  Harsin says it's performance related.  He's never fired a guy midseason before.  He doesn't have a reputation for firing guys quickly (precisely the opposite actually from everything I've seen).  So for him to do that, I think that he had to have seen something especially problematic from a coaching standpoint that, even with some of the struggles at other positions, he felt was worse and/or unfixable with that coach staying in place.

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe Corn is being treated unfairly, though I don't think he could actually argue that getting fired for his job performance thus far is actually unfair - just that perhaps others should have been let go too.  I just think that without something more than what we know and what we can see from Harsin's track record, that's not as good of an assumption to make as what I've put out there.

I haven't made an assumption besides yours that it has to be something we don't know. If ANYTHING is bull it's the Newton had to run in late reason. You said something to the extent of any coach potato could see or something like that, to me that's degrading the view. 

I haven't done anything but ask if everybody suck why just this guy. That's it. Like you stated it's unusual. If somebody say something like mistakes well I say but there's been many by all positions. To me I'd think you'd think why does this cause anger. That's the perplexing thing to me. Why are people mad that I ask why? That's Gus stuff all over again to me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I think this main question is this is being observed by literally every position group right now and firing Corn just seems odd and out of place.

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Really... ? I'm not trying to jump on this. I was trying to correct something that you said someone was incorrect and lol'd them. 

I applaud you for going thirty pages on this topic but I'm moving on. We should move on. 

Yeah you corrected by saying no it's not! You're right you should move on. And that's like your 30th time mentioning 30 pages... If it was me and 30 pages bothered me, I wouldn't click on it. But hey that's me

I'm over it. Several groups are underperforming, and Kiesau was going to get on staff eventually. Corn got fired. Harsh and a bad look, but part of the business. Imo, Kobe Hudson needs to become the leader. Him, Canion, Capers, and both Johnsons are your five best imo. I don't think it's shocking that D-Rob was benched. Younger guys are better than him, and it's bad when the guy brought in to be the leader is dropping crucial passes. He and Shed will probably still get a lot of playing time though, which is frustrating.

It's been mentioned several times in various threads and around the interwebs.  Even without getting into detailed intricacies that only coaches might know, we've clearly seen a lot of drops through 4 games.  Not just "grazed his fingertips" type of things, but well placed throws hitting people in the hands or bouncing off their chests kind of drops.  I've seen multiple times where WRs we had to run a guy on the field late or WRs had to be moved into the correct positions pre-snap.  I've seen situations of miscommunication on where a route should be run or a throw to a spot where the receiver isn't there.  If even half of those are misreads by the WRs it's way too many. 

If the rank and file can see those things, do you think that's really all the issues a head coach might see in practices and on the sidelines?

Yes, the same clowns that argue in this and every thread! Until more info is known, this thread is what these same clowns live for!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Almost as ludicrous as suggesting that we have talent in the WR room equal to that on other squads, such as our defensive backfield, that have at times performed every bit as poorly. 

1 minute ago, GAAubie said:

Yes, the same clowns that argue in this and every thread! Until more info is known, this thread is what these same clowns live for!

Lol. @W.E.D another Georgia guy. You see what I'm saying

Just now, cole256 said:

Lol. @W.E.D another Georgia guy. You see what I'm saying

😐 Imma just proudly rep Atlanta & eff the rest of the state surrounding me.  We can't be defined by the trash surrounding us.  I think you're in Texas, so you should understand.  lol

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think this main question is this is being observed by literally every position group right now and firing Corn just seems odd and out of place.

I think with the QBs, you saw what the end result was.  Harsin benched Bo and put in Finley.

With the OL, the talent level there is just so deficient by SEC standards and most of these guys are juniors and seniors.  The backups aren't any better.  They're better than last year but still, their ceiling is only so high.  We need better horses.

With the defense, we've seen the misalignments but we've also seen them tighten them up and fix their s*** during games.  We haven't seen a similar improvement from the WRs.  If anything, they've regressed.

So in the end, I think there are good reasons why even though multiple areas might be having problems, he only chose to make a change of coaches in one area.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Almost as ludicrous as suggesting that we have talent in the WR room equal to that on other squads, such as our defensive backfield, that have at times performed every bit as poorly. 

I don't think I said "equal to other squads."  If I was going to describe it I would say "capable of a lot better than what they've shown.

I think with the QBs, you saw what the end result was.  Harsin benched Bo and put in Finley.

With the OL, the talent level there is just so deficient by SEC standards and most of these guys are juniors and seniors.  The backups aren't any better.  They're better than last year but still, their ceiling is only so high.  We need better horses.

With the defense, we've seen the misalignments but we've also seen them tighten them up and fix their s*** during games.  We haven't seen a similar improvement from the WRs.  If anything, they've regressed.

So in the end, I think there are good reasons why even though multiple areas might be having problems, he only chose to make a change of coaches in one area.

I don't see how you can give excuses to every position group, but WRs.  They are either untalented Seniors with 7 career catches or super raw Freshman/Sophs.  Hell, Kobe was a QB in HS and is probably our most dynamic WR.

• Like 1

I don't think I said "equal to other squads."  If I was going to describe it I would say "capable of a lot better than what they've shown.

As is the entire team, except for maybe RBs and LBs. And the guy responsible for getting the ball to the WRs. (At this point I no longer believe he's capable of any more than he's shown. But maybe one of the guys behind him is.)

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Now this is interesting, the wr's have the same problems that you listed for those particular groups but don't have the solutions you offered for those groups. 

• Like 1

And let's be real with the "fix" for the defense....they played a decent half they are all massively underperforming so far

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Our best hope is canion and capers.

I am not ready to dismiss Kobe Hudson as the best of all yet. Still a lot of growing pains to get through, though. Kobe, Canion and Capers should be 1 2 and 3 IMO.

Yep, lets hold the WRs to a different and higher standard than all the other position groups despite being the least experienced group on the team. You would think that the positions full of junior and senior leadership and experience would be the ones that should be scrutinized the most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1