Jump to content
Null

WR coach Cornelius Williams fired


Barnacle
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I sometimes don't think you all (mods/administration) realize your influence. Have a good day

Some of these posters won’t think for themselves and a MOD ( who are fallible) will chime in and completely sway their thinking. It’s very interesting. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites





1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Ok, I'll bite. Why do u think Williams was done wrong? bc of when it was and or the reasons for firing him? Or at Auburn we don't fire coaches during the season?

Well, first let me say that I am super in favor of doing things that "we just don't do at Auburn". As long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

If the dude didn't do anything wrong in the improper, inappropriate sense- if his only offense was not being able to coach WRs like Harsin wants- then firing him 4 weeks into the season isn't fair to him. That means that the job requirements weren't made clear or it was a terrible evaluation by Harsin to hire him in the first place. Furthermore, that is not an adequate length of time for him to get it right when there is almost nobody on staff earning their check right now. 

This is not me indicting Harsin overall as a coach. I've got several issues with how he's done the job so far but I'm still riding with him. 

That's all I'm going to say about it. I encourage you to respond if you'd like, and I will read it and process it. Just know that I don't wish to stay involved in that part of the conversation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Some of these posters won’t think for themselves and a MOD ( who are fallible) will chime in and completely sway their thinking. It’s very interesting. 

Absolutely. I think if they see a mod disagree they think well I don't have to worry about being civil the mod hates him let 's take the gloves off lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Wow. You're gonna flash the mod badge when I was clearly speaking figuratively. That's unfortunate. 

And which part of that contradicts the notion that he might have made decisions based on reasons you consider illegitimate? Just because he waited until the end of the season?

I'm not aware of any more than you are. That's what I keep trying to tell you. Just about anything is on the table.

I'm just really surprised that you still view college football as this unimpeachable bastion of rational thought that you seem to.

Yeah, with all due respect to mods, Titan flashes that mod badge if his feelings get hurt. I still have a warning on my page from 2015 where I suggested that we should not ask posters to post less, and he threatened to suspend me because “I came at him.” You gotta have thicker skin to be a mod. Having said that, I don’t think that’s what he was doing here, he’s just saying he’s allowing the debate. And if you guys don’t hear from me for a week…you know what happened. 😒

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think I read an awesome article on how well he was doing over the summer. Sometimes I get him and capers mixed up though but I believe it was him. It was him that made that awesome toe drag though wasn't it? That would've been a catch in the NFL as well

Video is timestamped to the great Canion catch. I hadn't watched it back since Saturday and that catch is even more impressive on second watch. How he got his foot inbounds, I don't know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

Video is timestamped to the great Canion catch. I hadn't watched it back since Saturday and that catch is even more impressive on second watch. How he got his foot inbounds, I don't know.

Who knows what we have when they actually get some chances. That was my other point, how can we even feel like we can accurately assess the position until the QB is fixed a little

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Who knows what we have when they actually get some chances. That was my other point, how can we even feel like we can accurately assess the position until the QB is fixed a little

We've laughed about this before, but it's funny how everyone agrees that players need live game reps to develop, but then a Worm or a receiver gets thrown in there or a ball actually enters their zip code once in a blue moon and those same folks are like "THEY NEED TO STEP UP WHEN THEY GET THE OPPORTUNITY!" *Not that I've seen that in this thread, though.*

I think we have legitimate talent issues at receiver but we also need to evaluate everything honestly and evenly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Video is timestamped to the great Canion catch. I hadn't watched it back since Saturday and that catch is even more impressive on second watch. How he got his foot inbounds, I don't know.

I gotta go back and try to find a comp of Canion catches. I want the guy to be a starter but the only thing my mind can come back to is the long play vs NW 

he seems like the closest thing they have to a #1 in his catch radius and versatility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

This is what I don’t get. Corn coached for like 6 seasons at Troy, right? How did he all of the sudden become    fire-ably incompetent? 

I don't think we will ever know, but the possibility exists that the systems/programs he was involved in were not as hardcore into attention to detail like the program Harsin is trying to build.

Sometimes people that are high achievers go into situations where everyone is a high achiever and you have to run full speed just to keep up.

Think about any past comments for people who have worked for Saban or Belichick. Most coaches learned a ton working for those guys. Quite a few said they were miserable while doing it.

Saban himself said working for Belichick was the worst four years of his life.

The standards are very high. Some make it, some don't.

Doesn't make them horrible people or coaches- just not the right culture fit.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I gotta go back and try to find a comp of Canion catches. I want the guy to be a starter but the only thing my mind can come back to is the long play vs NW 

he seems like the closest thing they have to a #1 in his catch radius and versatility. 

Back to back catches from the timestamp. The TD catch was a nice grab that he bobbled a bit but stayed with it.

TD catch was a bad throw to an open receiver that he had to adjust to and then quickly got up field and a stiff arm.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

It's like you didn't even read what I said about the other groups.

The WRs haven't shown they are getting their s*** fixed like the defense has show they can do.

The WRs have all been playing already, though it looks like Harsin may enforce a different rotation this weekend.  There is no simple ability to yank them and put in new ones the way we could with Bo getting benched for Finley.

The WRs while young, I believe had a higher ceiling than a quite experienced offensive line.  And even though they still aren't SEC caliber overall, they've shown improvement from last year.  

The solutions or reasons that apply to the other groups aren't applicable to the WRs.  None of them are consistently getting the job done, they aren't showing any improvement or learning from mistakes, there's no one else to turn to instead of them, and they should have a higher ceiling than the OL we've had for basically a third season straight.

This seems a little contradictory. 

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely. I think if they see a mod disagree they think well I don't have to worry about being civil the mod hates him let 's take the gloves off lol

I have definitely witnessed this on the football forum and some of the others as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I gotta go back and try to find a comp of Canion catches. I want the guy to be a starter but the only thing my mind can come back to is the long play vs NW 

he seems like the closest thing they have to a #1 in his catch radius and versatility. 

I know it's from High School but if anyone should have 50/50 balls thrown to him it's Canion. He shows in this clip he's not afraid to go up high and catch the ball where only he can get it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Video is timestamped to the great Canion catch. I hadn't watched it back since Saturday and that catch is even more impressive on second watch. How he got his foot inbounds, I don't know.

didn't realize watching the game, but two receivers definitely ran the same route on the two point conversion.  Maybe THAT was the final straw :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

didn't realize watching the game, but two receivers definitely ran the same route on the two point conversion.  Maybe THAT was the final straw :lol:

They both ran fades?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Back to back catches from the timestamp. The TD catch was a nice grab that he bobbled a bit but stayed with it.

TD catch was a bad throw to an open receiver that he had to adjust to and then quickly got up field and a stiff arm.

That may be the most Nix-iest throw ever.  pushing off backwards to make the throw.

  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

I don't think we will ever know, but the possibility exists that the systems/programs he was involved in were not as hardcore into attention to detail like the program Harsin is trying to build.

Sometimes people that are high achievers go into situations where everyone is a high achiever and you have to run full speed just to keep up.

Think about any past comments for people who have worked for Saban or Belichick. Most coaches learned a ton working for those guys. Quite a few said they were miserable while doing it.

Saban himself said working for Belichick was the worst four years of his life.

The standards are very high. Some make it, some don't.

Doesn't make them horrible people or coaches- just not the right culture fit.

 

15 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Here is a question I might pose to the group:

What would be your feelings if Cadillac and/or Etheredge were let go?  What if Harsin replaced them with Boise State guys?

Genuinely asking for everyone's opinion. 

Maybe it’s just me, but running back seems to be the one spot that’s not a problem if there is one. But ultimately I just want coaches that can coach. Familiarity with the area is important, but a coach lives and dies by his assistants, so he should pick whoever he truly wants

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Here is a question I might pose to the group:

What would be your feelings if Cadillac and/or Etheredge were let go?  What if Harsin replaced them with Boise State guys?

Genuinely asking for everyone's opinion. 

I would be like why would you replace the RBs coach when they are one of the premier groups along with the LBs and special teams. I think that is a logical question , regardless if CBH is the head man or not 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

My biggest concern is recruiting and that was where Williams was likely most valuable to us and perhaps more valuable than most other guys on staff. Of course, we've also got to show that we can develop guys and get them drafted.

We'll see.

My biggest concern with this program at this point. You can't have a load of 3*'s, Juco's and transfers filling out the majority of your roster and expect to go toe to toe with the top half of this conference.  A roster like that leaves no room for shoddy coaching. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...