WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

1 minute ago, keesler said:

My biggest concern with this program at this point. You can't have a load of 3*'s, Juco's and transfers filling out the majority of your roster and expect to go toe to toe with the top half of this conference.  A roster like that leaves no room for shoddy coaching. 

Exactly. That roster isn't going to be bama or uga- hell, Arkansas or Ole Miss- with even pretty good coaching.

We've got to improve the talent. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

That may be the most Nix-iest throw ever.  pushing off backwards to make the throw.

No if it was a 'complete' Nix-iest throw, then the ball would have been thrown over their heads, and not been catchable. 

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I feel like Harsin is either going to boom or bust at Auburn.  There will be no in-between.  Either he knocks this thing out of the park and earns legendary status or Auburn fans run him out of town and he becomes the most hated coach in our history.

I don't really like that he is slowly making this thing all Boise State coaches.  We need some variety.  We blasted Malzahn for staying within his tree and never branching out, and I feel like Harsin is doing the same thing.

I feel like he should be able to do things his way. If he wants to make Auburn, Boise South do it. He just has to make sure it translates to winning, “insert old school Bill Parcells quote about groceries here.” Ok coach do it your way, we won’t stand in your way but if you don’t produce you better keep your moving company number on standby. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

This is what I don’t get. Corn coached for like 6 seasons at Troy, right? How did he all of the sudden become    fire-ably incompetent? 

Don’t think he was incompetent, probably was just not the best philosophical/coaching fit. Harsin in a reach to hire a coach with ties to this area, may have initially viewed that as more of an asset vs fit at time of hire. I would imagine if he could revisit the hire he would have possibly went in another direction with his guy, or someone more familiar with his coaching philosophy and leadership style.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, keesler said:

My biggest concern with this program at this point. You can't have a load of 3*'s, Juco's and transfers filling out the majority of your roster and expect to go toe to toe with the top half of this conference.  A roster like that leaves no room for shoddy coaching. 

This would be the worst case scenario as far as recruiting goes in my opinion. So far this year we have 5 4 star commits and 5 3 star commits and a 3 star kicker commit which is really a 4-5 star commit.  I feel like a few people are pumping fear into a bunch of us when it is not a given that they are gonna struggle in recruiting.  Remember even the great recruiting group of Chizik's didn't have the quality of commits that Harsin has at this point their first season.  

Heck, Harsin got our highest rated recruit in last years class, which prior to that only had 4 4 stars signed and he got us our 3rd highest 3 star who also plays tackle and signed Hunter in a short amount of time with most guys already signed or committed.  

I also wanna throw this part in.  I have always been one to push for players with higher football IQ's and I am glad that we are finally doing this.  It is a necessity at the next level at nearly all positions.  It is also easier to develop a high IQ football player.  and they must love to play football to the point that they want to live it.  This was Gus' biggest failure at what separates the Nicks and Dabos when it comes to evaluating guys.  There will be 5 star guys that they don't even give the time of day and will be fighting over the same 3 star guy for a reason.  of course the rankers give them bumps when those two fight over a guy but they go after plenty of 3 stars that then get the Clemson/Alabama bump.

there might be reason to worry about recruiting down the line, but there is no reason for us to be worried right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Don’t think he was incompetent, probably was just not the best philosophical/coaching fit. Harsin in a reach to hire a coach with ties to this area, may have initially viewed that as more of an asset vs fit at time of hire. I would imagine if he could revisit the hire he would have possibly went in another direction with his guy, or someone more familiar with his coaching philosophy and leadership style.

Well said.  Williams never coached in a system such as what Harsin/Bobo are running.  It wasn't working out, it was just best to move on.  They gave it a shot.

I mean I am sure Harsin could have kept him all season and the Auburn fan base would have that understanding patience to teach a guy the job while on the job and not criticize the receiver results at all and be all happy about it.......lol.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

That makes sense

3 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Back to back catches from the timestamp. The TD catch was a nice grab that he bobbled a bit but stayed with it.

TD catch was a bad throw to an open receiver that he had to adjust to and then quickly got up field and a stiff arm.

Yep that NW play was maybe the most impressive thing a receiver did all 2020. Dude should be a stud 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Here is a question I might pose to the group:

What would be your feelings if Cadillac and/or Etheredge were let go?  What if Harsin replaced them with Boise State guys?

Genuinely asking for everyone's opinion. 

Cadillac has probably been the best performing coach since he’s gotten here, it’d be disgusting IMO. Ethridge’s group has stunk but I don’t think Harsin has any Boise understudies at his position. If he did and they were better, so be it 

39 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I mean I am sure Harsin could have kept him all season and the Auburn fan base would have that understanding patience to teach a guy the job while on the job and not criticize the receiver results at all and be all happy about it.......lol.

Not to rehash the argument...

...but to totally rehash the argument, that's probably exactly what's going to happen at at least a couple other position groups.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

What would be your feelings if Cadillac and/or Etheredge were let go?  What if Harsin replaced them with Boise State guys?

I love the fact that Caddy and Ethridge are on staff. They are Auburn Men.

Ethridge is one of my favorite players of all time. The leadership he showed coming back from his injury was instrumental to the championship season.

That being said, it is a business.

If they end up not being a fit in the end, then they are not fits.

It would suck, but it is what it is.

I would say that they have very high football IQs, so it probably won't be an issue.

Zach played in pretty sophisticated defenses and Caddy played in pretty sophisticated offenses (he played for Chucky, who runs one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL).

We do have to remember one thing- I don't think Harsin cares about anyone's feelings. He was hired to win and I think he is obsessed with doing that.

Probably a good meme- "Harsin does not care about your feelings!"

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not to rehash the argument...

...but to totally rehash the argument, that's probably exactly what's going to happen at at least a couple other position groups.

Here is my take on those rumors.  for the last several months all we have heard is how Harsin keeps things close to himself and suddenly after a poor performance a bunch of rumors start flying?  

People throwing sh@t at the wall to see what sticks or Harsin is leaking info that he is gonna fire coaches? Coaches are leaking that they are gonna quit?   

Sh@t throwing is the only thing that makes sense to me at this time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Here is my take on those rumors.  for the last several months all we have heard is how Harsin keeps things close to himself and suddenly after a poor performance a bunch of rumors start flying?  

People throwing sh@t at the wall to see what sticks or Harsin is leaking info that he is gonna fire coaches? Coaches are leaking that they are gonna quit?   

It's not about rumors. I don't know how you watch our offensive line against GSU and think that Will Friend deserves to work one more day for this program, much less past the end of the season. Nevermind that he doesn't have a single offensive tackle committed. 

Our defensive backs have performed well south of their talent the last two games. And we're probably going to just sit and watch on the job training there. Because Harsin doesn't already have one of his Boise guys on deck.

A lot of the opinions offered here are based on observations and not rumors. Sure, they might get amplified when they align with rumors but logic is logic.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If it were performance based, I'd 100% be behind it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LeonardAU said:

didn't realize watching the game, but two receivers definitely ran the same route on the two point conversion.  Maybe THAT was the final straw :lol:

I may be wrong, but I've seen goal line plays like that before. It puts the defense in a bind as to which WR to cover.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's not about rumors. I don't know how you watch our offensive line against GSU and think that Will Friend deserves to work one more day for this program, much less past the end of the season. Nevermind that he doesn't have a single offensive tackle committed. 

Our defensive backs have performed well south of their talent the last two games. And we're probably going to just sit and watch on the job training there. Because Harsin doesn't already have one of his Boise guys on deck.

A lot of the opinions offered here are based on observations and not rumors. Sure, they might get amplified when they align with rumors but logic is logic.

There have been rumors of coaching changes on all boards.  I specifically said that is what I was responding to and not criticizing anyone's opinion. You are creating two different discussions.

Malzahn coached a 7th grade offense and put zero effort to recruit players with a high football IQ.

not sure we have the talent or football IQ on the line to be better. 

qb play has not surprised me at all, I think there are issues there that just are not easily fixable.

RB play has been solid, but room is filled with guys that live football and it is the easiest position to learn they say.

TE. TBD.   haven't actually played TE since high school, takes most TE's at least a year in a system before knowing what you got.

My crush Mason and his choices on defense are troubling to say the least.  Going zone with the secondary because we lack a pass rush has been a tough pill to swallow.  I think we will see improvement there.  If a defensive coach were to go at this point it would need to be Mason, which would mean others will be gone as well.  However changing defensive schemes will probably give him a pass.  Just as it will with Bobo, probably.  If Bobo stays, Friend is staying.

I mean we all knew we had weaknesses and problems in areas as some coaches were taking on a much bigger challenge than others.

But, I really am not interested in doing a hypothetical argument on who gets fired at the end of the year four games into a new coaching staff.  I will let you all have fun with that.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

This would be the worst case scenario as far as recruiting goes in my opinion. So far this year we have 5 4 star commits and 5 3 star commits and a 3 star kicker commit which is really a 4-5 star commit.  I feel like a few people are pumping fear into a bunch of us when it is not a given that they are gonna struggle in recruiting.  Remember even the great recruiting group of Chizik's didn't have the quality of commits that Harsin has at this point their first season.  

Heck, Harsin got our highest rated recruit in last years class, which prior to that only had 4 4 stars signed and he got us our 3rd highest 3 star who also plays tackle and signed Hunter in a short amount of time with most guys already signed or committed.  

I also wanna throw this part in.  I have always been one to push for players with higher football IQ's and I am glad that we are finally doing this.  It is a necessity at the next level at nearly all positions.  It is also easier to develop a high IQ football player.  and they must love to play football to the point that they want to live it.  This was Gus' biggest failure at what separates the Nicks and Dabos when it comes to evaluating guys.  There will be 5 star guys that they don't even give the time of day and will be fighting over the same 3 star guy for a reason.  of course the rankers give them bumps when those two fight over a guy but they go after plenty of 3 stars that then get the Clemson/Alabama bump.

there might be reason to worry about recruiting down the line, but there is no reason for us to be worried right now.

For curiosities sake I went to 247 and looked up the P5 teams with first year head coaches and listed the number of current commits each team has and their current national recruiting ranking.

We have less overall commits than everyone ahead of us on this list, so we have a possibility of finishing strong, but that means we have to hit a lot of targets moving forward and maybe flip some guys. 

Texas- 21 commits #4

South Carolina- 17 commits #22

Tennessee- 14 commits- #30

Arizona- 16 commits #33

Vanderbilt- 19 commits #35

Auburn - 11 commits #40

Illinois- 16 commits #43

Kansas- 8 commits #88

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

That bump is because they (NS specifically) develop the players at an exceptional level.  Star ratings show the potential a kid has at the next level and when a kid goes to bama and gets entrenched in that system he has a higher potential to do very well at the college level and he gets primed for the pro's a lot of the time as well.

I'm not saying 3*'s are crap. I'm concerned right now because Auburn can not turn in back to back #15-#20 ranked classes and expect to stand toe to toe with the programs that consistently bring in top 5 classes every year.  Add in some of the poor clock management, poor play calling + the crapshow they put on the field vsa  G5 team who's now 1-3 and it's a recipe for numerous losses.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

For curiosities sake I went to 247 and looked up the P5 teams with first year head coaches and listed the number of current commits each team has and their current national recruiting ranking.

We have less overall commits than everyone ahead of us on this list, so we have a possibility of finishing strong, but that means we have to hit a lot of targets moving forward and maybe flip some guys. 

Texas- 21 commits #4

South Carolina- 17 commits #22

Tennessee- 14 commits- #30

Arizona- 16 commits #33

Vanderbilt- 19 commits #35

Auburn - 11 commits #40

Illinois- 16 commits #43

Kansas- 8 commits #88

It also depends a bit on how many guys they can sign I guess.   I have been impressed with both South Carolina and Arizona as far as getting commits.  I think we all knew Sark was gonna kill it at Texas.  We are going after a lot of 4 star guys and gotta wait for them to decide.  Not sure how many we win, seems like bama and Georgia and all the other big boys are in on the same guys.

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Plus the guy who replaced Corn was waiting for a chance to coach Boise and CBH had to hire someone. Went with a guy he thought could help with Alabama high school players. By the time his guy was available it was too late, so he brought him as an analyst.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

There have been rumors of coaching changes on all boards.  I specifically said that is what I was responding to and not criticizing anyone's opinion. You are creating two different discussions.

Ok. Odd response to my opinion for you to say "here's my take on those rumors" when I didn't mention any rumors, and no you didn't clarify that you weren't criticizing anyone's opinion. You just said people are throwing s*** at the wall. But I guess I understand better now. Thanks for clarifying.

52 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Reality (not rumors) tells me Harsin needs to $#itcan a few more because that entire game Saturday was abysmal in so many positions. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Reality (not rumors) tells me Harsin needs to $#itcan a few more because that entire game Saturday was abysmal in so many positions. 

Enjoy your opinion of reality.  Not sure how effective that would be, but that really doesn’t matter to your opinion.  To each their own.  

for what it is worth a guy on reddit posted this picture. if you look we had ten men on the field. this haappened three times.

minus 1.webp