What is our identity?

ValleyTiger

You tell me. It damn sure isn't obvious.

This runs deeper than singular play calls or the performance of one position coach's group or Bo Nix vs TJ Finley or the chosen coverages or the lack of pass rush. We've got our personnel shortcomings, but at times we look completely different from week to week. Why is that? Don't give me this chess not checkers BS.

We're not the downhill rushing attack that we heard so much about during the offseason. 

We're often confused on defense. Asking that square peg to go into a round hole at the very last second confused.

What exactly is the paradigm that we're trying to achieve on either side?

It sure as hell seems to me like there's too many cooks in the kitchen.

It's not going to matter who we send out at QB or safety or nickel or left guard ,etc etc until we decide to put them in more advantageous positions to succeed. 

Preseason is over. It's big boy SEC football time.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

We're not the downhill rushing attack that we heard so much about during the offseason. 

Did people expect us revert to some weird 1980s style offense where we run the ball 80% of the time?

For as terrible as the OL is and lacking downfield passing, we've ran the ball pretty well. Both Tank and Hunter have had good games.

I'm not sure I understand the criticism here. We can be balanced and still "run down hill". We have to be balanced 

• Like 2

We should be a run first team that utilizes the deep pass and 100 TEs we have on the roster.  Expectations should have been communicated at 8-10 wins this season.  

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

That is what we are trying to figure out.  We have a new coach  New football philosophy, new culture  and we  Do not have the type of talent  yet that our new coach needs to run his system properly.     It is the price you pay for a new coach but if you give it some time it will be worth it.    Look at Arkansas.    They looked way worse than we do early last year.  Their  change of type play was not as drastic as ours' is.    They are doing fine right now.   This stuff takes time.    

i wonder how much of that talent arkie has are chads guys grown up? i think it is too early to freak out. harsin was left with some talent and very little in others. you cannot blame a first year coach for the oline tanking. he had to run some off which is normal that does not see eye to eye with the way he wants to do things. everyone says our dline is too small. i just do not think you change  how a line reforms in one year. the oline is better than they were so there is some coaching being done. i feel bad for corn but we do not know if he was told to straighten them out or lose his job ahead of him being fired. so mr quiet i went a hell of a long way around the block to say i agree................lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUCE05 said:

We should be a run first team that utilizes the deep pass and 100 TEs we have on the roster.  Expectations should have been communicated at 8-10 wins this season.  

The first two games raised expectations too high.     We all are hoping for it,  but did you really think we would get to to 9 wins this year?   you don't think other teams have talent also?  How about established systems  with their coach's type players  loaded up?  Are other programs are not striving to win like we are?     Why do you feels so entitled that Auburn should be able to bring in  a new coach and win 9 games or more in his first year?  It doesn't happen very often.  

I understand you are upset we wont live up to your 1st year expectations,  but your expectations are just too damn high.  

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i wonder how much of that talent arkie has are chads guys grown up? 

Probably a lot.   

Their basic philosophy has not changed much.   Pittman inherited a lot of the same type players he likes to use.  Big ,aggressive players.   esp OL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

The first two games raised expectations too high.     We all are hoping for it,  but did you really think we would get to to 9 wins this year?   you don't think other teams have talent also?  How about established systems  with their coach's type players  loaded up?  Are other programs are not striving to win like we are?     Why do you feels so entitled that Auburn should be able to bring in  a new coach and win 9 games or more in his first year?  It doesn't happen very often.  

I understand you are upset we wont live up to your 1st year expectations,  but your expectations are just too damn high.  

You have to set stretch goals.  Outside of Bama/UGA, Auburn has a similar talent level as everyone else on the schedule (per 247).  It is not that off of a goal.  Arkansas is in the 50s for talent and they have beat two ranked teams.  

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Did people expect us revert to some weird 1980s style offense where we run the ball 80% of the time?

For as terrible as the OL is and lacking downfield passing, we've ran the ball pretty well. Both Tank and Hunter have had good games.

I'm not sure I understand the criticism here. We can be balanced and still "run down hill". We have to be balanced 

We have run the ball pretty well. That's the rift and the reason behind my criticism. Balance is great, I agree, but I didn't see a concerted effort to run the ball Saturday. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Where in the world did you see us getting 8-10 wins? We won 6 last year with pretty much the same players🤷 Honest question because I guessed preseason maybe 5-6 wins at best, 3-4 at worse. We don't have an OL at all yeah they're experienced but they're not that great our best hope was the defense now not so much unless things change fast 8-10 wins is not possible.

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

That is what we are trying to figure out.  We have a new coach  New football philosophy, new culture  and we  Do not have the type of talent  yet that our new coach needs to run his system properly.     It is the price you pay for a new coach but if you give it some time it will be worth it.    Look at Arkansas.    They looked way worse than we do early last year.  Their  change of type play was not as drastic as ours' is.    They are doing fine right now.   This stuff takes time.    

What exactly is the system?

5 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

We have run the ball pretty well. That's the rift and the reason behind my criticism. Balance is great, I agree, but I didn't see a concerted effort to run the ball Saturday. 

Seems like the slot sweeps with Shivers and Jarquez (that both worked in the past and that first half), got left at the door in the second half 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

This right here. We have tried to do this, but we have failed miserably with the deep passes so far. Bobo is taking a ton of heat on here, and some of it is deserved. But we have had guys open deep and over the middle of the field and they aren't getting hit. Let's see if that changes

12 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

You have to set stretch goals.  Outside of Bama/UGA, Auburn has a similar talent level as everyone else on the schedule (per 247).  It is not that off of a goal.  Arkansas is in the 50s for talent and they have beat two ranked teams.  

Last year Arkansas only won 3 games,   MSU ,  Ole miss,  and UT.  But their fans had patience.   

Pittman inherited talent that match  his system.   It was already there when Pittman get there.   He is not 2 years behind in recruiting to his system and style of play.  and it still took more than a year to get it straightened out.  

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Last year Arkansas only won 3 games,   MSU ,  Ole miss,  and UT.  But their fans had patience.   

Pittman inherited talent that match  his system.   It was already there when Pittman get there.   He is not 2 years behind in recruiting to his system.  and it still took ore than a year to get it straightened out.  

What is your point?  I stated we rely on our elite RBs and pass to our many TEs. We set goals (every team has goals). 8-10 wins is a reasonable goal to work towards.  You are rambling and not making a point or staying on topic.   

Edited by AUCE05

5 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

What is your point?  I stated we rely on our elite RBs and pass to our many YES. We set goals (every team has goals). 8-10 wins is a reasonable goal to work towards.  You are rambling and not making a point or staying on topic.   

Just replying to your post,  you know,  the part where you said expectations should be 8-10  wins.      8-10 wins should be a goal, or may be just a "hope",   NOT an expectation at this year.   Expectations should be realistic. 

The point is  that it will take time.  example above.

You can’t have a downhill running game without the threat to push the ball downfield in the air. Right now Bo does not have that ability 

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Just replying to your post,  you know,  the part where you said expectations should be 8-10  wins.      8-10 wins should be a goal, or may be just a "hope",   NOT an expectation at this year.   Expectations should be realistic. 

The point is  that it will take time.  example above.

So Harsin should tell his guys he expects 4 wins?  Got it. 

8 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

You can’t have a downhill running game without the threat to push the ball downfield in the air. Right now Bo does not have that ability 

So that's why we seemingly abandon the run, at times, in favor of the passing game? It's a pattern, particularly, in the red zone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

So Harsin should tell his guys he expects 4 wins?  Got it. 

Don't put words in my mouth because you know 9 wins is a delusional expectation for a new coach in the SEC.  esp now,  when the SEC is the strongest top to bottom it has been,  maybe ever.    

Harsin told the players he doesn't know how many we will win or lose,  but if we practice right we will be in position to win any of them.    

29 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Pittman inherited talent that match  his system.   It was already there when Pittman get there.   He is not 2 years behind in recruiting to his system and style of play.  and it still took more than a year to get it straightened out.  

Even with only 3 wins u could see the improvement though. Previous year Auburn blew them out. Last year Auburn escaped.

24 minutes ago, e808 said:

Even with only 3 wins u could see the improvement though. Previous year Auburn blew them out. Last year Auburn escaped.

Yes,  as the season goes on they got better,  but they also lost 3 games by  4 TDs or more.  

And they lost to bama by more than 7 TD's.   They let him stay with relatively less complaining  than we have had already. .  Would Auburn let anyone stay after losing to bama by more than 7 TDs?  this year Arkansas has a small shot at beating bama, because they gave their coach time when it didn't look so good.  Next year they will be even better.  So will we.

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

Where in the world did you see us getting 8-10 wins? We won 6 last year with pretty much the same players🤷 Honest question because I guessed preseason maybe 5-6 wins at best, 3-4 at worse. We don't have an OL at all yeah they're experienced but they're not that great our best hope was the defense now not so much unless things change fast 8-10 wins is not possible.

We won 6 games on a full SEC schedule. Throw in the 3 patsy's and we are easily at 9 last season. 

I agree that it was going to be tough no matter what, but it still is not an unbelievable goal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

All of this, plus he has 10 6th year super seniors. According to some, CBH is supposed to fix several seasons of mediocrity in 4 weeks. 

• Like 1