Bo Nix talks about being benched

Barnacle

The one thing about this is that a section of people are gonna inherently make this seem like Bo is trying to campaign for himself 

I don’t even think he’s being particularly candid, just giving his thoughts on the situation. I hope people don’t grill him 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Dude is either in denial or seriously lacks awareness. Maybe that's part of his problem. 

Come on now. There's no way reading this entire thing that Bo comes off as anything other than a stand-up guy. He's not going to come out and say "yeah I was playing like s*** and needed to be benched." He got dinged up a little and TJ took that opportunity to thrive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Dude is either in denial or seriously lacks awareness. Maybe that's part of his problem. 

Exactly my thought when I read it. I was expecting to hear him say that he wasn’t getting the job done and needed to work harder, or something. Anything but “I thought I played well.”

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Come on now. There's no way reading this entire thing that Bo comes off as anything other than a stand-up guy. He's not going to come out and say "yeah I was playing like s*** and needed to be benched." He got dinged up a little and TJ took that opportunity to thrive.

Wtf do you mean? Tons of athletes, in fact most elite athletes, will admit to bad performances. "Yeah I was having a rough day." 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

My takeaway. I admire Nix for a lot of reasons, his work ethic, his effort, his competitiveness. 

However, at least in interviews, he seems to have a blind spot for his own level of play. I'm not expecting him to self denigrate, but in order for him to be better, he has to know that he has to be better. Whether this interview is indicative of a lack of self awareness, I don't know, but this has been a pattern over the years that I've noticed. 

It definitely paints a clearer picture to me. Dude has an abysmal day and say he thought he played pretty good. After some of his terrible road performances as a freshman he'd always lead with "well I took care of the ball". So strange. What's wrong with looking reality in the eye and saying he had a bad day?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Wtf do you mean? Tons of athletes, in fact most elite athletes, will admit to bad performances. "Yeah I was having a rough day." 

It's very telling this is your only take away from what he said. Gotta nitpick and make sure there's a negative about him I guess.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

It's very telling this is your only take away from what he said. Gotta nitpick and make sure there's a negative about him I guess.

Good luck with this take, Zeek.

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

Good luck with this take, Zeek.

Don't need luck. Even anti-Bo people have to be tired of seeing every single little thing he ever does being turned into a negative by "fans".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Don't need luck. Even anti-Bo people have to be tired of seeing every single little thing he ever does being turned into a negative by "fans".

The literal only thing of interest in this interview was Bo saying he thought he played well. It isn't a "little" thing. He's upset he was benched? Ya don't say.

Him say he thought he played well is disturbing and revealing. 

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't think it's fair for anyone to expect him to be self-denigrating. There's a difference between "I played like s***," and "Everyone has to be better, and that starts with me." 

Again, this is just a talk show interview, so I'm not going to roast the kid, but let's not kid ourselves about the reason Harsin benched him. We all saw it. If he had the wind knocked out of him, that was just the excuse needed to make the switch. Harsin hasn't indicated that Nix's health had anything to do with the decision. 

• Like 3

“I was shocked” 

Were you? 

I wish Bo’s competitiveness would trickle down to his fundamentals and playing the game the correct way. We all know he loves Auburn and wants to win. In order to do those things, you must do the little or even boring things like fundamentals. 

There’s a difference in being obsessed with development and just “wanting to win.” I’d argue that’s what makes Saban quite unique. 

Edited by woodford

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Even anti-Bo people have to be tired of seeing every single little thing he ever does being turned into a negative by "fans".

I can promise you this is not the case.

Bu ton his comment on his own play.  He did have a "but" to his comment.  It probably should have been "I" vs we b/c most of the big plays were missed due to poor throws.  "I felt like I played pretty good, but we still need to make big plays"

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Copied and pasted from another board. Interview was on public radio, so hopefully this stays up. 

I see that you are aware of copyright laws.  Good for you.  I would expect that from you because you are a lawyer. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think it's fair for anyone to expect him to be self-denigrating. There's a difference between "I played like s***," and "Everyone has to be better, and that starts with me." 

Again, this is just a talk show interview, so I'm not going to roast the kid, but let's not kid ourselves about the reason Harsin benched him. We all saw it. If he had the wind knocked out of him, that was just the excuse needed to make the switch. Harsin hasn't indicated that Nix's health had anything to do with the decision. 

Spot on....you have to have confidence and belief in yourself to play the QB position at this level. But you also have to admit mistakes and sometimes say "I need to do better". 

I don't think it was a bad interview but I also think it shows that Bo needs to take more responsibility when the team struggles.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

My takeaway. I admire Nix for a lot of reasons, his work ethic, his effort, his competitiveness. 

However, at least in interviews, he seems to have a blind spot for his own level of play. I'm not expecting him to self denigrate, but in order for him to be better, he has to know that he has to be better. Whether this interview is indicative of a lack of self awareness, I don't know, but this has been a pattern over the years that I've noticed. 

most people that strive to be the best have huge ego's and frankly you have to in this day and time because people will eat your lunch. the same with musicians. you have a bad night you have to have the stones to get back out there and do it again. i think bo thinks he has enough tools to win and he wants a chance to get back out there and prove it again. bo needed to sit. maybe he improves. if harsin is one of those that will not let a player lose a starting job if they get hurt then bo will be qb saturday. and this is the reason i think bo will start. me? tj deserves a chance to start.

• Like 1

My other takeaway:

He and Harsin haven't talked about it. I actually find that intriguing and like the fact that Harsin isn't addressing it directly. The challenge seems clear enough to me: No one is going to hold your hand. This is the job. Show me how you are going to respond. Show me if you are willing to do what it takes to continue to lead this team. 

The gauntlet has been thrown down. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I have noticed the same pattern. And I think Bo honestly believes he "played pretty good" against GA State. He's a high character guy, but he might lack self awareness. 

• Like 3

I am surprised that they are allowed to interview outside of very specific environments, especially given the circumstances on the QB situation and Coach Corn getting the axe. 

• Like 3

Well, one thing I liked about TJ's interview was that he admitted his mistake on 3rd down, and said he'd get it fixed "tomorrow". That's good self-awareness. BTW, I like his decision making on 4th down to not just throw it up, but to work to find an open receiver. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Players take responsibility for poor play all the time. Look at what Finley had to say:

I think Finley gave a really, really strong interview. Exuded a lot of confidence. 

• Like 6