Bo Nix talks about being benched

Barnacle

If Bo Nix is not a leader, then his response is fine. If he's expected to be a leader, then he needs to claim some responsibility for the result. That's the leaders responsibility. 

Plus, the first steps to fixing a problem is willing to admit you have a problem. Bo isn't ready to admit he has a problem with his game right now. He's playing "pretty good". I think it'll be a shock to him that his "injury" is not why Harsin is looking seriously at Finley. 

Edited by AUTigerTime
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

My takeaway. I admire Nix for a lot of reasons, his work ethic, his effort, his competitiveness. 

However, at least in interviews, he seems to have a blind spot for his own level of play. I'm not expecting him to self denigrate, but in order for him to be better, he has to know that he has to be better. Whether this interview is indicative of a lack of self awareness, I don't know, but this has been a pattern over the years that I've noticed. 

Very similar takeaway for me. Really appreciate his candor and thoughtfulness overall, but when assessing his own performance, he sounded oblivious to what actually happened out there. 

I hear a lot of seasoned, media friendly (boring) NFL QBs say "we" when they address their own mistakes. "We've got to get some things cleaned up" is a very popular one. I find it grating, but at least the mistakes are acknowledged. 

Thanks much for posting the interview. It being just one interview, I'll hold back further commentary other than to say that it doesn't do much to alter certain perceptions and narratives that have sprung up and been sustained the last couple years.

• Like 2

given that he has a distorted view of his passing ability, that take from him is not surprising.

also, for some reason I was under the impression that he was no longer throwing to a pre determined target, but he was "reading" the defense and making the decision based on that.  more often than not, this doesn't appear to be the case 

Edited by EastAl_Tiger

Seems like we have good character in the QB room. I have dreaded today for Bo since Saturday because I knew he had this interview as well as JBoy coming up. I was hoping that they'd find a way to excuse him out of his interview today. However, it's part of what they sign up for like Bo said. Gotta answer the tough questions. I won't blame him on that, but I am concerned that he was shocked that he was pulled and that he thought he was playing well. 

• Like 1

I've been trying not to say it but damn it some people owe me an apology. I verbatim stated how he didn't seem to think he played poorly and didn't take responsibility, down voted, stupid, hater and all of that. 

Not beating up on him but he don't see that he should be further along than what he is. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, cbo said:

Players take responsibility for poor play all the time. Look at what Finley had to say:

I was gonna post this same exact thing. Glad that you did! Good leaders step up and own their mistakes and promise to do better. Bo saying he's played good tells me all I need to know. He truly believes that the performance on Saturday was good enough despite not leading a scoring drive in 3 quarters against a weak team.

• Like 4

At this point I'm pretty sure Bo has a nagging injury shoulder/elbow and he just can't accept it.  I don't blame him, he obviously wants to play. But he clearly seems off. He's gonna have to sit to get better. 

Of course I could be completely wrong and it's just ego in the way of progress.

Edited by WeaglWeaglWDE

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very similar takeaway for me. Really appreciate his candor and thoughtfulness overall, but when assessing his own performance, he sounded oblivious to what actually happened out there. 

I hear a lot of seasoned, media friendly (boring) NFL QBs say "we" when they address their own mistakes. "We've got to get some things cleaned up" is a very popular one. I find it grating, but at least the mistakes are acknowledged. 

Thanks much for posting the interview. It being just one interview, I'll hold back further commentary other than to say that it doesn't do much to alter certain perceptions and narratives that have sprung up and been sustained the last couple years.

It baffles me that he could look at that game and assess his performance positively, especially after getting benched and having a day or two to really review it.  I am not pro or anti-Bo, and I do not care who starts at QB, as long as they are good at it.  That said, being this oblivious to his own performance, makes me seriously think he should be on permanent backup duty.  It does not click in his mind that he was playing poorly, and was benched because of it.  That is troubling.  With him thinking that was playing pretty good, can the coaches even work with that?

• Like 1

Also, I'm probably looking too much into it but I'm surprised he and Harsin haven't talked. Not saying it in a bad way, more so I figured Harsin would sit Bo and TJ down, either one at a time or together, and explain why he made the decision, the plan for practice this week, etc

• Like 1

Human nature being what it is finds some folks not being able to look themselves in the mirror, to make honest assessments of how they are doing. 

As a poster just said, one cannot fix a personal problem until they are willing to admit they have a problem.  

It appears to me that some AU folks are at a crossroad.  It also appears to me that Harsin has every intention of forcing some folks decide which fork in the road to take.  Kudos to him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

All that talk about pulling him and look..funny how this was the year I finally anticipated Auburn football.

It's only Monday and I'm hoping things change but I really do believe Harsin might lose some of that locker room if Bo Nix is the starter on Saturday. The amount of energy the players had when Finley came in is something you can't get away from. You fire the WR coach because he's not performing but you're gonna allow Nix to start again despite playing like garbage against GSU. After Finley led the team to a game-winning 98 yard touchdown drive. SMH

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Nix- "I don't think I have to campaign for myself. I did the best I could.

I fully believe he has always done the best he can do. It hasn't always been enough though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe Harsin would say I don’t sit down with the center when I make a change there, and I don’t sit down with the Mike LB when I make a change there, so why do I have to treat the QB any differently. You might argue that position, but there is a reasonable parallel there to consider. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

It's only Monday and I'm hoping things change but I really do believe Harsin might lose some of that locker room if Bo Nix is the starter on Saturday. The amount of energy the players had when Finley came in is something you can't get away from. You fire the WR coach because he's not performing but you're gonna allow Nix to start again despite playing like garbage against GSU. After Finley led the team to a game-winning 98 yard touchdown drive. SMH

I dont see how you start Bo. If you start TJ and he struggles, Bo can go back in and all is well on the home front. On the other hand...if you go with Bo after TJ saved that @$$ and you have to yank him again that's it. TJ has to be your starter moving forward. IT makes more sense IMO to start TJ for that reason alone not including the fact that he seemed like the better option Saturday.

• Like 3

Just now, LPTiger said:

WFE12, I would not let a Monday depth chart cause me too much concern.   Who practices best this week will play into the decision.

Yeah, Harsin just said in the press interview that no decision has been made about the QB. Said that the depth chart has come out but things always change. The fact that he didn't name Nix the starter is good.

• Like 1

That interview with Bo sounded to me like he was just trying to be vanilla in everything he said, not admit to a problem, supporting TJ, not being upset. It looks to me like he was playing the political thing in his interview, so as not to upset anyone. I think he realizes he may be in a precarious place, so he was careful not to put a lot of his own emotion into the answers.  Just my guess, since I didn’t hear it.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I felt like I did the best I could.

I'm sure he did.

'Coach Corn' did a good job

And there you have it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

That interview with Bo sounded to me like he was just trying to be vanilla in everything he said, not admit to a problem, supporting TJ, not being upset. It looks to me like he was playing the political thing in his interview, so as not to upset anyone. I think he realizes he may be in a precarious place, so he was careful not to put a lot of his own emotion into the answers.  Just my guess, since I didn’t hear it.  🤷‍♀️

I think this is an interesting perspective. Like most others on here, I'm surprised to hear Nix thinks his performance on Saturday was "good" and "the best he could do", but it;s certainly possible he just doesn't want to say anything negative or possibly inferred as negative so he's intentionally going with a "everything and everyone is doing great" type of interview. 

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

My other takeaway:

He and Harsin haven't talked about it. I actually find that intriguing and like the fact that Harsin isn't addressing it directly. The challenge seems clear enough to me: No one is going to hold your hand. This is the job. Show me how you are going to respond. Show me if you are willing to do what it takes to continue to lead this team. 

The gauntlet has been thrown down. 

That was the most interesting take away for me too. It's not necessary to pick apart his words. He was the starter for almost 2 1/2 years, he got benched but that's life and it's a bitter pill for him to swallow right now, hence the lack of self awareness. But like you, the fact that he and coach haven't talked about it since then, stood out to me.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

So he got pulled because he "got the wind knocked out of him"..that's what we're saying? Hmm.. so if he didn't he would have stayed in the game?

Edited by WFE12

I was a little surprised he even played Saturday because I though he was hurt against Penn State early.  I’m not surprised that Bo is starting Saturday.  If he comes out and lays a turd then Finley will be right there.  After the game Saturday and the firing of the WR coach Sunday and Harsin saying multiple times the players around Bo need to play better I don’t know what to think.  Harsin has no allegiance to Bo like Gus did so if Harsin thinks he’s the best option I have to believe he’s the best option.  As long as Auburn wins I don’t care who the Qb is.  As far as losing the locker room and this other super dramatic stuff, let’s pump the breaks.

• Like 5